Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Electronic Arts

Company »

EA is one of the largest publisher/developers in the video game industry.

EA's Gibeau Thinks The Offline Game Model Is 'Finished'

• 161 results
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By Gabriel

It really depends on the product games like Batman, God of War, Mass Effect, sell VERY well without multiplayer.

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By darkstorn

This better not be the case. High-speed internet hasn't even come to my rural area in Northern California yet, so I've missed a lot.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Kjellm87

I'm not always sure I like the future gaming is heading. But that might be me just being a little old school.

Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54  Edited By Dustpan
    @Gabriel said:
    " It really depends on the product games like Batman, God of War, Mass Effect, sell VERY well without multiplayer. "
    It's about every game being connected to EA's servers, not multiplayer.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By cornbredx

This seems to be a statement about big picture, not games overall. I'm hoping he's predicting and not making a move, really, as online gaming is not a big seller to me yet. 

I do like MMOs, but as far as competitive I have yet to be hooked on multiplayer in that way. Ya it's cool, but I play games for story more so than competition (and there are others that do too) so he needs to be careful. That's a big core gamer share he could be cutting off. It's bad enough there's becoming less new games that appeal to me these days.

Although, I do know my gaming type is considered fairly niche, but there is still some game franchises I like (dead space, just as an example, comes to mind).

Who knows, though, they could come up with something that expands on the idea of online as a whole. That's still a very young concept. Well, at least for consoles it is. I've been doing it on PC for years.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#56  Edited By Lazyaza

Bioshock 2, Red Faction Guerilla, Transformers War for Cyb, Condemned 2, Resident Evil 5; all games that did not need multiplayer or online features at all and because they had them the single player components suffered. This guy just doesn't get it.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By moelarrycurly

He needs to talk to a little company called Valve about when to implement multiplayer and how to keep it alive for years.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ShockD

I ruff I ruse.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By Diamond

Most of the best selling games, Nintendo games, take a completely opposite direction.  New Super Mario Bros Wii doesn't have online at all...

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#60  Edited By Little_Socrates

And I'll continue to ignore online portions of games like Red Dead Redemption and Uncharted 2.

Avatar image for rampageassassin
    RampageAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By RampageAssassin

I would rather sit down and play a cinematic single player game such as Mass Effect 2 or Uncharted 2 than play a multiplayer game.

Avatar image for getbentthevideogame
    GetBentTheVideoGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fuck that noise.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By mordukai

The sad part is that he is absolutely right and we have none but ourselves to blame.

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By Oginam
    @benjaebe said:
    " I think a lot of people are missing the most important part of the article, which is:

Taking into consideration what you’ve been saying about the importance of dev autonomy and, elsewhere, the need to add multiplayer to games, what if the Visceral team told you that multiplayer isn’t something that should be added to Dead Space? It’s not something completely unforeseeable, considering its genre.

Well, it’s not only about multiplayer, it’s about being connected. I firmly believe that the way the products we have are going they, need to be connected online. Multiplayer is one form of that. 

Yes but, how would you respond if Visceral told you that Dead Space isn’t the type of game that should have multiplayer? It sounds like EA insists on some game elements, and I am wondering how that affects dev autonomy.
    (PR manager: It’s more about educating the developers. Not on the creative side, but on the way people play games. Social media has really changed the way consumers look at entertainment. Everything’s more interconnected and 24-7 these days.) Gibeau: So I don’t go up to every game team and ask – what is your deathmatch mode? [laughs] I look at how to make games a broader idea with online services.

They aren't going to tack multiplayer on to a bunch of titles for no reason. They're talking about online connectivity - you know, stuff like Need for Speed's speedwall, or Mass Effect's Cerberus Network. "
    This.

Please stop confusing online connectivity and multiplayer. They are not the same.
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Marcsman

Probably because their online pass has no effect on used single player games. Fuck him. Would he say this shit if Mirror's Edge had been a huge commercial success.
    SupberUber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SupberUber

As long as I have a choice not to go online, EA may do whatever they want. 
    You don't feel like going online after a rough day, at least I don't. So, offline will still be a thing you have to include.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#68  Edited By Zippedbinders

Lots of people here either not reading, or choosing to not comprehend, that he's just referring to some kind of connectivity. Games with leaderboards, DLC, multiplayer, and even social networking connections are examples of online enabled games. There is a certain amount of truth to what he says, but its hardly a fact. Nintendo has been riding pretty well on a number of games that don't really feature anything like that (however, Wiis keep track of how many hours you've played for each of your games and feeds that into an average showing time played for that game throughout the world, so there is SOME online implementation)

Also, speaking of reading comprehension " You’re job is to come up with the creative vision"

If thats taken from a direct quote, you'd probably want to throw on a (sic), otherwise you should just correct the spelling. Minor, I know, but every little bit helps.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By NTM

He's wrong. Everyone wants a good single player rather than some multiplayer. Here's me being angry about the news. Fuck heads.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By cstrang
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " Hooray for the age of shitty tacked on multiplayer modes!"
    This.  I mean, come on!  I would rather have a fleshed-out, awesome, ultra-enjoyable single player experience with a grand story than an okay SP game with a multiplayer component any day.  Just look at Bioshock, or Dead Space.  Neither of those games had a multiplayer component the first time around, and each was my pick for GOTY when they came out.
    Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By Winternet

Fuck you Gibeau. Single Player solo games are still the ones that are really pushing the boundaries.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
    deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Translation: Yo we make mad loot from online games, son. So we're pretty much just going to keep doing that. 

He's so right though, Braid would have been so fucking sick with team deathmatch.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By oraknabo

Well, I guess I'm done playing video games then. I hate playing online.

hawkster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#75  Edited By hawkster
    @MooseyMcMan:
    Actually, a cooperative multiplayer in Dragon Age would be sweet.  And I don't think he's necessarily saying that every game should have an online multiplayer.  He's saying they should have "online components", like how Dragon Age had multiple downloadable expansions that players could buy. 

I sort of get what this exec is saying, but it does feel insidious to me.  This is just about making more money out of a product by luring players to buy additional content over time.  More, more, more. 
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#76  Edited By csl316

I'm guessing he's also talking about dlc, not just multiplayer

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#77  Edited By Claude

I play a lot of Tiger Woods 11 on the Wii. As soon as the game leaves the title screen, it connects to EA. This type of online connectivity doesn't bother me in the least. Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins connect to the internet through EA as well, so I think some are missing the point. If I don't have internet, the game still works, but that option of automatic online connectivity still exists.

Phototropic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Phototropic
    @MarkM said:
    " Translation: Yo we make mad loot from online games, son. So we're pretty much just going to keep doing that. "
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Ragdrazi
    BULLLLLLLLLahSHIT, son.
    DoomedMello12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By DoomedMello12
    pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By pekoe212

@MooseyMcMan: I sort of get what this exec is saying, but it does feel insidious to me.  This is just about making more money out of a product by luring players to buy additional content over time.  More, more, more.  "

Agree. Insidious is a good word. I understand where he's going with this, but the CEO-feeding-you-bullshit vibe from his comments makes it come off like he means only evil things the more positive he sounds.  "Well you say ‘insist’, I say inspire"? hahah
    ThaMilkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#82  Edited By ThaMilkMan

Giantbomb users must not like to read full stories and JUST read the headline wow Haha dude is pretty much correct all video games in a modern world need some sort of internet connectivity this does not mean all team deathmath this means leaderboards, stat tracking,co-op, floating orbs that represent people etc. He's really just saying we need increased replay value so we have less used copies on he market, replay value is very important wouldn't you agree?

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Korne

If they develop inovative ideas for multiplayer (Burnout Paradise, Demon's Souls), then I'm all for it... but it seems like this guy is talking about making the same multplayer game as COD, which would sell them millions.

SolongWrex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SolongWrex

Competitive multiplayer slots somewhere between shoving forks into my eyes and dipping my balls in boiling grease on my list of things to do in my spare time. Co-op is a lot of fun, but I do. not. play. video. games. against. people. So I'm glad Gibs here isn't just talking about multiplayer. More awesome co-op and quality DLC sounds good.

However, the fact that he says "fire-and-forget, packaged goods only, single-player, 25-hours-and you’re out" like it's a bad thing worries me a little. There are a lot of people like me who appreciate that kind of thing: a polished product with a dramatic structure and an end. Fire-and-forget...pfft, how about fire-and-never-forget?

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#85  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Probably been said, but a big game publisher EA pushing online gaming isn't surprising. People who love online gaming will be constantly buying the new iteration of any given franchise because of the mass migration of the older iteration's online population to the new. I guess it's also useful for keeping tabs on how many people are still playing your game (in addition to monitoring achievements). Man, I sound like a conspiracy theorist. EA's next plan is to beam Madden NFL commercials directly into your mind from space.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#86  Edited By KillyDarko

Interestingly enough, I only care about single player games... couldn't care less for multiplayer, really. The day the gaming industry turns its back on SP offline campaigns is the day I stop playing games.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Zlimness
    @FreakAche said:
    " Says the publisher of Mass Effect. "
    Don't give him any bright ideas...
    wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#88  Edited By wh1terav3n

So...what does this mean about Mass Effect?

fjor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By fjor

He has no idea what he is talking about..........poor dude!!!!

i hope he is not thinking people will buy dead space for the multiplayer :/

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Grelik

Yeah... 90% of you are the idiots. Reading the article it's plainly obvious that he's not saying that every game needs a physical multilayer mode like death match. Rather some form of connectivity whether that's dlc, leaderboards, comparing your progress/stats to a friend, anything.

Please learn to read and comprehend before turning into ravenous dogs.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#91  Edited By Sooperspy

Mass Effect with multiplayer? That doesn't sound good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I don't know about competitive multi, I can't get more than maybe a week out of that before it becomes aggravating and I never want to see it again.

But having a solid co-op campaign in addition to, or even as, the main campaign?  I could go for that.  You tell me two of my friends can join my Mass Effect game and play as Grunt and Jack as we go around messing fools up and me making decisions (they might even have selectable comments during cutscenes).

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is an excellent example of using online functionality to make a game better.  Red Dead Redemption.  Borderlands.  Left 4 Dead.  Gears of War.  Resident Evil 5.  Any fighting or sports game.  Uncharted 2.  Rock Band.   Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.  Splinter Cell.

Building in co-op to games is not something bad.  Even competitive can be fun if it's more than just FPS deathmatch.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I play single player games most of the time, this would not help me get more into the game. In fact it might do the opposite because I don't like getting totally owned online. I even play single player for left4dead 2 most of the time, I don't need an online component to enjoy a game more. Sure it affects sales, however it doesn't affect my own experience or enjoyment of a game.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Online co-op does make everything better, though. Anyway, he's right, a quality online experience will deter piracy and used game sales.

Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Glak

People read the fucking article and not the damn headline 
    In context he's saying that basically shipping your game and then being done with it no longer works 
    And I agree, DLC and patches for offline games probably do deter used game sales 
    He is not saying that all games have to have multiplayer

Vaancor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Vaancor
    @megalowho: Yeah but also look at all the mini game/waggle fest compilations that come out from them.
    HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By HubrisRanger
    @Oginam said: 

Please stop confusing online connectivity and multiplayer. They are not the same. 

This. Again. Add-on DLC is actually one of the most interesting aspect of online connectivity for me, and certain is part of the overall vision of what people like Gibeau is talking about.
    yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By yukoasho
    @fjor said:
    " He has no idea what he is talking about..........poor dude!!!!  i hope he is not thinking people will buy dead space for the multiplayer :/ "
    Yeah, I know.  I don't think he understands this, but you can't build games around DLC.  The game has to be good and entice people to DLC.  No one's going to play Dead Space 2 multiplayer for more than a week before going back to their multiplayer game of choice, be it Team Fortress 2, CoD, Halo, WoW or what have you, and no one's going to buy DLC for a game if the base product feels like it was cut to ribbons for the purpose of DLC.  The internet serves best as a supplement to a good game, not the base (in most cases).

EA wants to put out DLC, fine, but the base game has to be good for me to even begin to pay attention, or I'll just stick with companies that actually care about the base product.
    yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By yukoasho

I would also like to add that releasing a game with an afterthought singleplayer mode (Medal of Honor) didn't exactly help EA beat Call of Duty, did it?

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
    deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Okay, I'm taking issue with this article, because it just reeks of a bit of sensationalism. 

The title of the article, obviously, is meant to provoke a reaction from people who glance at it. It's a very provocative topic amongst us who play video games. I'm calling it 'sensationalist', because it's misleading, and, on top of that, the article practically admits that it is misleading. 

Basically:  First, the article catches the reader's attention with a really crowd-dividing title, and it knows that it "will rub some people the wrong way." Second, the article wastes no time defending Gibeau, because he's not really saying "offline is finished". What he's really saying (upon further reading) is: success in an offline-only model for blockbuster titles is finished. Gibeau's job is to make blockbusters out of titles he's handed with; therefore, he's the guy who will say "add online to it". Granted, I still don't agree with it completely. However, to defend, disclaim, and clarify that the article contradicts its title is an admittance that it really was sensationalist to begin with. 

This is the kind of filler & fodder article that I expect from someplace like 1UP. And, look, sure enough, they did.  

I understand that sites like Giantbomb want to draw readers into their content. I just think this sites deserves better than this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.