Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Riddle me this.

Royale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Royale

How come I'm almost to the level cap (20?), yet am only about half way done with the main story line and still have a ton of side quests to do?

It seems that the leveling should have been structured a little better.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By samcotts

How do you know you're only half way done?

The levelling up worked out pretty well for me.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By weltal

Because you wondered around alot and killed things? I don't know, both play troughs for me worked out to me being level 20 after doing a little less than half the side quests and finishing up the main quest.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Chummy8

Yeah.. The leveling worked pretty good for me too.  I hit 20 right near the end with enough time to appreaciate being level 20 before the game ended.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gargantuan

If you're playing it on a PC then I recommend downloading a levelling mod. I need twice the amount of exp to level up and I still think I'm I'm levelling a bit too fast

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Bullet_Jr

My first play through, I got to level 19 then realized that all the stats I chose didn't fit for the type of character I wanted.

I figure, it's more about creating a character with the stats you want then having the priveledge of playing as that character for the remainder of the missions.

Still, I agree with TC. I think there should be at least another ten levels before "maxing out" your character.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hexpane

The leveling is indeed too fast if you play it like Oblivion.

But if you did main quest first, then stopped before the final quest, then go do side quests you would be fine.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to do all the side quests and not max out your level early, which kinda sucks. 

Royale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Royale

I'm basing my "half way done" by the achievements that I've finished and what I have left.  At the beginning I didn't have much to do (quests) aside from the main questline and I wanted to find some of the side quests so I took off from megaton in search of adventure.  I enjoyed just exploring buildings (some that I eventually returned to for side quests).  I really don't feel like this exploration affected my leveling THAT much though.

I guess the benefit of being to lvl 20 so early is that the rest of the game will be that much easier... and I will feel that much more powerful.

I like the leveling in Oblivion better than Fallout.  It just seems more accurate as far as RPGs go... "use this skill and you get better at it"  it just makes sense.  

The game is still fuckin awesome... I was just curious what everyone else thought of this.

For the record: I just hit level 19,  have around 3000 caps,  just left Tranquility Lane (awesome), and have 420 of 1000 in achievements.
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I was level 20 with a shitload of sidequests left, and a shitload of the story left.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Bass

i didn't even hit 20, and i finished the main quest, so take that for what it's worth.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Lies

If you grabbed the Swift Learner or Here and Now perks, those acceerate your leveling, and as such probably aren't good choices. The cap is a bit low for people who love to explore, but eh. You can still improve your character through finding Bobbleheads and new equipment.

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ColMustard
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "I was level 20 with a shitload of sidequests left, and a shitload of the story left."
    this...

I will admit that I was jonesing for a few more levels, 25? 30? it would be cool. But hey, DLC will add the extras.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

Odd. I finished the game at level 16 and I felt I was taking it slow.

Royale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Royale

ah yes... maybe it was the swift learner.  looking back now that probably was a wasted perk... just like the one that gives you a free level.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By atejas

There's a mod for slower levelling. It really is too fast.
    Then again, I took two levels of swift learner, so........

Darknesszora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Darknesszora

i think you are ment to play it through multipule times.

i played the last few side quests on a second character
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hexpane
    Darknesszora said:
    "i think you are ment to play it through multipule times.
    i played the last few side quests on a second character
    "
    That is how the Bethesda devs played it and often showcased their various characters and lil RPG story arcs they created for them in their heads.

I don't play RPGs like that .  I prefer to take 1 character/party to godlike status.  I hate restarting from scratch.  Even in MMOs, the first thing I would do is level up any new character as fast as possible so I could get back to the high end content again. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.