Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Way More About Fallout 3's Point Lookout

• 96 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Bethesda's fourth (and counting!) DLC pack for Fallout 3, Point Lookout, is out next Tuesday night. Kotaku reported today that some retailers are actually selling the retail package of the add-on--which just consists of a code you can use to download the DLC--right now per the below picture, but since you can't activate the code till Point Lookout is officially released next week, there's not much reason for you to run out and hunt down the retail package early.

No Caption Provided
    In more official news, Bethesda put out a series of new screenshots today giving you a better look at what this add-on's going to be about.

Lastly, the team has put up a surprisingly in-depth development diary describing the creation process for Point Lookout, which is apparently going to add a large amount of new real estate to the world of Fallout 3. It goes into all kinds of detail about how they arrived at the ideas in the add-on and then turned them into a new playable area.

Building a whole new region is a lot of work, but the team knew what it needed to look like and where everything needed to go.  Every tree and rock in Point Lookout is placed by hand, so simply filling out the world was a significant effort.  As the world-building team completed initial passes of the world, we held “World Walk” meetings that involved just running around the world and exploring it. We constantly gauged the feel of the world, the density of gameplay encounters, exploration rewards, and general points of interest. Thanks to these meetings, we knew when and where to add additional points of interest or tweak the ones what the team already had created. Many of the guidelines that we used in Fallout 3 for density simply didn’t apply to creating a swamp. While the Capital Wasteland is spread out and desolate, Point Lookout is much denser. The new region is more populated, there is a much heavier fog, and points of interest and encounters are much closer together.  This density in Point Lookout created new gameplay problems for us to solve. 

Lot of good graphics in this one showing before-and-after shots of level designs and so forth. It's definitely worth a read if you nerd out over game development stuff like this.

No Caption Provided
    There's a shocking amount of excitement in this office about another Fallout 3 add-on. Then again, while four DLC packs for any one game sounds totally nuts on its face, I think Bethesda has done a fantastic job so far of regularly extending the life--and expanding the fiction--of what was already a really solid role-playing experience. Are you in the same boat? Will you be staying up late next Tuesday night to grab Point Lookout, or have you finally had enough Fallout 3?

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    Bethesda's fourth (and counting!) DLC pack for Fallout 3, Point Lookout, is out next Tuesday night. Kotaku reported today that some retailers are actually selling the retail package of the add-on--which just consists of a code you can use to download the DLC--right now per the below picture, but since you can't activate the code till Point Lookout is officially released next week, there's not much reason for you to run out and hunt down the retail package early.

No Caption Provided
    In more official news, Bethesda put out a series of new screenshots today giving you a better look at what this add-on's going to be about.

Lastly, the team has put up a surprisingly in-depth development diary describing the creation process for Point Lookout, which is apparently going to add a large amount of new real estate to the world of Fallout 3. It goes into all kinds of detail about how they arrived at the ideas in the add-on and then turned them into a new playable area.

Building a whole new region is a lot of work, but the team knew what it needed to look like and where everything needed to go.  Every tree and rock in Point Lookout is placed by hand, so simply filling out the world was a significant effort.  As the world-building team completed initial passes of the world, we held “World Walk” meetings that involved just running around the world and exploring it. We constantly gauged the feel of the world, the density of gameplay encounters, exploration rewards, and general points of interest. Thanks to these meetings, we knew when and where to add additional points of interest or tweak the ones what the team already had created. Many of the guidelines that we used in Fallout 3 for density simply didn’t apply to creating a swamp. While the Capital Wasteland is spread out and desolate, Point Lookout is much denser. The new region is more populated, there is a much heavier fog, and points of interest and encounters are much closer together.  This density in Point Lookout created new gameplay problems for us to solve. 

Lot of good graphics in this one showing before-and-after shots of level designs and so forth. It's definitely worth a read if you nerd out over game development stuff like this.

No Caption Provided
    There's a shocking amount of excitement in this office about another Fallout 3 add-on. Then again, while four DLC packs for any one game sounds totally nuts on its face, I think Bethesda has done a fantastic job so far of regularly extending the life--and expanding the fiction--of what was already a really solid role-playing experience. Are you in the same boat? Will you be staying up late next Tuesday night to grab Point Lookout, or have you finally had enough Fallout 3?

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Sabata

Wow, it's out next week? That was fast.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

I've spent way to much on this game. I might skip this one wait for the aliens.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

awesome!!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scooper

I haven't yet bought any of the add-ons for F3 yet but I may have to get this and the last one that raised the cap to 30. I just love the feel of the game and I've been meaning to replay the game on hard.

samsaturday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By samsaturday

I skipped Anchorage and The Pitt, but I might play this one.

MaxPower13124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MaxPower13124

I'm playing a copy I borrowed from my brother.  I think I'm going to wait till October to get all of it at once.

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cook66

I think I've had enough Fallout 3 to last a lifetime. I wont be buying this, but it's nice that they keep adding content.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jimbo

Nuts on its face indeed.

Finished F3 but haven't bought any DLC yet.  I figure they'll release a bundle eventually.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Venatio

Not sure about this one yet, Ive bought all the previous content though so I wouldnt be surprised if I bought both this and the aliens DLC

I love Fallout 3 so...yeah

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

The big question that I have is this:  do I have to have the other DLC packs in order to enjoy Point Lookout?  What I mean by that is "will I need to be level 30 for Point Lookout"?  I really don't want to buy Operation Anchorage, The Pitt, and Broken Steel individually when the GOTY edition is coming out later in the year with 5 DLC packs attached to it for $60.  However, if I can enjoy Point Lookout without having to get the other packages, then I might have to cheat and pick this up a little early for the Hell of it, because it just looks awesome.

Doomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Doomguy

I like that they're going for a new theme with this DLC, the mad red neck family that lives by the swamp is something I might just have to check out.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By MjHealy

Stay up late? I think it comes out at like 9/10 am GTM. MWHAHAHAH

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14  Edited By natetodamax

Was going to save my 800 points for this, but chickened out and bought The Pitt today instead.

FallopianTube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FallopianTube

Yes Brad, im gonna play it - you should start doing that too. come on

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Fallout 3 forever..... and ever..... and ever..... and ever.......

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By TheMasterDS

Yeah I just noticed it was coming out next tuesday right before you posted this. It looks great, will be loads of fun.

Bryce3333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bryce3333

Never stop releasing Fallout content, please Bethesda!!!!

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Reverseface

This is probabley for me the most interesting looking add on for fallout so far. looks like it will make me pick up fallout again, after stopping playing it just before the end.

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Reverseface

This is probabley for me the most interesting looking add on for fallout so far. looks like it will make me pick up fallout again, after stopping playing it just before the end.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By Alphazero

They've all been good so far... yes, even you Operation Anchorage. I love you Chinese Stealth Suit.

I will play this DLC... for SCIENCE.

Although I might wait a while... just got Red Faction.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seedofpower

Well, I just might buy this (maybe).

SunnyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SunnyD

Quick look?

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Impossibilium

As much as the mission quality of the packs has been up and down Bethesda do get the idea of "episodic content" better than Valve do.

Unless Valve are using the gap between Star Wars VI and Star Wars I as their reference ...

Avatar image for redrocketwestie
    RedRocketWestie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RedRocketWestie

I have wanted to play every DLC they've released, but I can't justify the financial and time cost to play it all.  It's a great game and all, but the content of the original was rich enough to fully satisfy my need to explore the world and play the game.  I've explored the gameplay aspects just about as far as I want to, and STILL have things in the original game that I haven't seen and done.  So no, as much as I think it would be worth it, I just can't find myself wanting it enough to pay for it.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ket87

Getting this and Mothership Zeta day one, I've probably put more time on F3 than any other single player game since the JRPGs of the PSone era. Typically I put a few hours on a game and lose interest or beat it and never touch. But F3 I've done everything, every quest/sidequest/achievement, I've found every location and rare item I could. Cannnot wait to see what is store in Point Lookout with a new region to explore.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ket87

Getting this and Mothership Zeta day one, I've probably put more time on F3 than any other single player game since the JRPGs of the PSone era. Typically I put a few hours on a game and lose interest or beat it and never touch. But F3 I've done everything, every quest/sidequest/achievement, I've found every location and rare item I could. Cannnot wait to see what is store in Point Lookout with a new region to explore.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By fugie7

man another DLC i havent even started on the other 3 yet. i better get cracking.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30  Edited By natetodamax
    @SunnyD said:
    " Quick look? "
    They will definitely do a Quick Look for it. They did one for each of the the last three.
    Nat3TheGreat13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Nat3TheGreat13

This one look'pretty sweet.

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rio

I will be on vacation, but I will definitely grab this when I get back.  Since I semi-recently got back into Fallout I cant seem to get enough of it.

snownightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By snownightmare

I am too broke for this!

Avatar image for wreckinrodrumbler
    WreckinRodRumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotta say, I'm pretty glad that they're finally releasing DLC for the Playstation 3 version. Can't wait for these!

Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Videogames
    Brad said:
    There's a shocking amount of excitement in this office about another Fallout 3 add-on. Then again, while four DLC packs for any one game sounds

totally nuts on its face

, I think Bethesda has done a fantastic job so far of regularly extending the life--and expanding the fiction--of what was already a really solid role-playing experience. Are you in the same boat? Will you be staying up late next Tuesday night to grab Point Lookout, or have you finally had enough Fallout 3?
    I can't tell if this is intentional or just a very bad choice of words.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ocdog45

cant get enough of fallour 3. but ill wait for the GOTY Editon.

ChrisInCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ChrisInCali

Waiting for the GOTY edition, not buying any more DLC.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By skrutop

I'm still waiting for the GOTY treatment, so I can get all of the DLC in one go.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#39  Edited By citizenkane

I have bought all three DLCs so far on release day and this upcoming expansion pack is no different.  Fallout 3 is only of my favorite games this generation and I am eagerly anticipating Point Lookout.

ares0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ares0926

I am a total Fallout Whore and as long as they keep putting out quality DLC, I'll keep buying it.

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Manks
    Been waiting for this and Mothership Zeta.
    DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DavidSnakes

Something about Bethesda doling out piecemeal content and charging $10 for every one feels super terrible.  Are these four DLC packs worth $40?  For maybe 8-10 hours of the same Fallout 3 gameplay?  Absolutely not.  Lost and Damned had the same length for half price.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By Alphazero

I love me some Fallout DLC, but for everyone saying they'll purchase it on Day 1, might I suggest waiting until Day 2?

I've been burned before.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RedSox8933

I probably won't stay up late, but I know that the first thing I am doing in the morning is downloading Point Lookout. I can't get enough Fallout 3, I'm a junkie.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RedSox8933
    @jakob187 said:
    " The big question that I have is this:  do I have to have the other DLC packs in order to enjoy Point Lookout?  What I mean by that is "will I need to be level 30 for Point Lookout"?  I really don't want to buy Operation Anchorage, The Pitt, and Broken Steel individually when the GOTY edition is coming out later in the year with 5 DLC packs attached to it for $60.  However, if I can enjoy Point Lookout without having to get the other packages, then I might have to cheat and pick this up a little early for the Hell of it, because it just looks awesome. "
    I don't think that you will need to be level 30, but I did hear Todd Howard say that this expansion is best suited for the higher level people. He said that it will be the hardest expansion so far, and maybe the hardest part of the entire game.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Demyx

I'll have to wait for the Game of the Year edition. Glad PS3 is still getting all the DLC.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#47  Edited By MeatSim

Man they sure do crank out this DLC efficiently and quick it seems.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By artofwar420

I'm still playing the original Fallout 3, so I'll wait for this.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Brendan

Some day all Fallout content will be purchasable on one disk for a low price.  That is the day my sabbatical for open world RPG's (after Oblivion's 200+ hours) will be over.

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Colin

I wish the addons where  a bit cheeper :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.