Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 29, 2012

The third installment in the series sees a reluctant victim battling nature, pirates, and the island's insanity-inducing jungle to rescue his friends and family from an island paradise gone horribly wrong.

Why do the GB crew seem to hate the characters SO MUCH

• 162 results
    koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By koolaid

Yeah. I thought it was extremely odd, especially considering the only establishing information we have on these characters is that min long video. One of them is spoiled rich, the others just seem on vacation.

I mean... they like shots... and clubs. And having fun? I like those things.

I think what the game tries to establish is that they are carefree. And feel powerful. Both of those things are taken away.

If you think they are terrible people... then well... maybe that says a few things about yourself.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By ericdrum

@Encephalon: I think the OP was trying to ask why they were hated to such a high degree, as to "sell them into slavery".

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Manhattan_Project Why don't you explain the irony?

You mean how you are both assuming things about others and telling them off for doing the same thing?

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

Far Cry 3 has a horrible story filled with uninteresting/scummy characters. Except for Vaas.

Now this irony is killing me.

Notice how it says "UNINTERESTING." Vaas is a scummy and interesting.

Don't bother responding. I don't feel like arguing with people like you.

High_Nunez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By High_Nunez

I get the hate. There is a part in Max Payne 3 when Max is strolling around the favelas looking for information on the kidnapped lady. I can't draw the exact line of dialogue from memory but he pretty much says something about douchey white tourists coming to places like this to rub elbows with the locals to be "cool", not quite realizing they're the scum of the earth from the local peoples perspective. The second I saw the intro in the quick look, those characters immediately reminded me of Marcelo Branco, the obnoxiously douchey youngest of the rich family Max worked for. Incidentally, during the quick look of that game, Jeff expressed immediate disdain for him as well. So at least Jeff is consistent.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By ericdrum

@Manhattan_Project said:

That's not how this works.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TheHumanDove

If you're rich you're bad and should feel bad.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By koolaid

@Colourful_Hippie said:

and all of this.

I came around on most of the characters because they developed them more but I still finished the gaming hating Jason Brody and that dumbass Oliver. Oliver continues to be a dumbass and does a great job of maintaining the stupid stoner stereotype.

Haha. Yeah, Oliver is a dumbass. No arguing that. The fact that he is so dumb I think is a nice foil to what else is going on. The thing is, I think that some people are thinking they are ALL like Oliver... but I don't think that's the case.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Manhattan_Project said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

You mean how you are both assuming things about others and telling them off for doing the same thing?

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Manhattan_Project said:

Far Cry 3 has a horrible story filled with uninteresting/scummy characters. Except for Vaas.

Now this irony is killing me.

Notice how it says "UNINTERESTING." Vaas is a scummy and interesting.

hahaha okay then good talk and GREAT points.

@Etnos said:

@ArtisanBreads: Hehe Ok, fair point. As disclaimer I gotta say I'm pretty OK with dudes, and somewhat OK with Bros... Its just dudebros that really get to my nerves, but that might be just me being neurotic.

Oh they're certainly bros in the story if that is what you were getting at, I just don't think the story is very typical of video games really even if people want to object to it. Using the idea of "dudebro" again being CoD and Army of Two.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Oliver's really the only one I would classify as an asshole, the other's seem pretty normal for their age. The opening cutscene for me was less "Hey, look at these fucking dirtbags!", and more "These kids are having the time of their life, but shit is about to get real." It really is akin to a slasher film.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By prestonhedges

@KoolAid said:

Yeah. I thought it was extremely odd, especially considering the only establishing information we have on these characters is that min long video. One of them is spoiled rich,

Why do you think he's spoiled rich?!?!!?!?!!!!!?!!!?!!?!?!!?!!?!?! Why do you hate these characters!?!!!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?!?!!!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!??????!?!!?!?!!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jimbo

@murisan said:

Nope. Those are not regular 20 somethings. Those are spoiled brats with rich daddies that (from the intro) GAVE THEM A BLACK CARD. Know what a black card is? It's a credit card for "super-affluent high net worth individuals on a continual quest for the best and most exclusive. They own companies and frequently travel; they define success. Exceptionally discerning and style-conscious, Centurion members are global players who gain truly worldwide access to the inaccessible." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card (AMEX's version of the black card)

I prefer the term African American Express.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By living4theday258

@ZeroV2 said:

@Oldirtybearon:

Exactly. Yeah they're a little douchey, in exactly the same way that ALL friends are douchey to each other. in exactly the same way that the GB crew are douchey to each other all the time as a joke.

They seem like perfectly nice people who certainly didn't deserve to be kidnapped and molested

no one deserves to be kidnapped and molested no mater how douchey they are................ just sayin.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jimbo

And there's a world of difference between being rich because you earned it and being rich because your parents earned it. Most people don't seem to have a problem with self-made men/women, unless they made or retained their wealth in some shitty, underhand way.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By smitty86
    Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By Panpipe

Do the GB crew hate them SO much?

I think they said they're a bunch of douches. Which is the social price you pay for being at the top - it's really not that bad. Would you rather work every day and be considered a nice hard-working chap, or never have to work, get to visit tropical islands and be called an entitled douche?

It's funny to me that there are people willing to defend the most privileged people in society from being teased.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Jimbo said:

And there's a world of difference between being rich because you earned it and being rich because your parents earned it. Most people don't seem to have a problem with self-made men/women, unless they made or retained their wealth in some shitty, underhand way.

But the issue is, what are those self made people supposed to do? Not pass on their wealth to their family? That's kind of the whole point.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By koolaid

@gladspooky said:

@KoolAid said:

Yeah. I thought it was extremely odd, especially considering the only establishing information we have on these characters is that min long video. One of them is spoiled rich,

Why do you think he's spoiled rich?!?!!?!?!!!!!?!!!?!!?!?!!?!!?!?! Why do you hate these characters!?!!!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!?!?!!!?!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!??????!?!!?!?!!

I think you are being sarcastic... but I'll answer anyway.

Oliver is the one who is spoiled rich. I believe he is the one who is bragging about a black card in the beginning. His bio also says he is the one with the rich parents. And *Minor Spoilers* when you rescue him, he seems clueless to what a hard time everyone else is having, clueless to the amount of danger he was in and seems happy this adventure lead him to the house of the good doctor...

But I don't hate him, I like how much of an idiot he is. He is a good foil, and brings diversity to the group.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By TheCowman

Well, I can't speak for other people, but as far as the GB crew goes..... well, overstating stuff is kinda their schtick.

Watch the Quick Look of Nights for an example of what I'm talking about. Do I think that Jeff hates that game THAT much? No. It's hyperbole, partly for emphasis and partly for comedy. I suppose they could be fair, balanced, and completely literal, but I'm not sure how funny that would be.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jimbo

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Jimbo said:

But the issue is, what are those self made people supposed to do? Not pass on their wealth to their family? That's kind of the whole point.

They could not even be given that option (also, I disagree that the whole point in becoming rich is so that your family can be rich after your death). Society made it possible for them to enjoy that level of wealth, and society could take most of it away again upon death if it chose to (and stopped 'accidentally' leaving loopholes in everything). Rich old men would be neither rich nor old for very long if not for the protection of society - they would be poor and dead. Capitalism is supposed to incentivise productivity, but it isn't supposed to support people never having to do anything productive in their entire lives just because their parents did something.

(I haven't actually played FC3 so I've no idea if any of this applies to these characters)

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Freshbandito

The vitriol from Jeff on the quick look I put down to a middle aged man seeing what the youth of today does for enjoyment and feeling the ice cold touch of time upon his once young body must lash out at the youth and lessen them to help him come to terms with the fact that he's old enough to be the father of a large section of the audience here. Either that or he hates people with money.

Money aside and only one of the characters says he has a black card (I may be wrong here) the rest act like regular 20 somethings and do the exact same things me and my friends do on holiday / a night out. I think for the giantbomb crew it's a generational thing and for the younger people here it's a projection thing, maybe they were bullied by people who they think act like this in their spare time? maybe they just struggle to cover their student loan payments and so must passionately hate anyone who was lucky enough to be concieved by rich parents.

Maybe the characters were just kind of 20 something stereotypes and the fact that they were all attractive, upwardly mobile, outgoing people without a reclusive shut-in gamer in their group ruffled the feathers of some people. Either way they were so thinly written that we shall never know the true reasons for the hatred without invoking the kind of journeyman internet psychology I just did.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By benspyda

They are rich kid douchebags so yea, I can see why. It doesn't bother me playing the game but I don't care what happens to them in a horror movie kind of way I guess. Not sure if that was intentional though. That's the real question really is, how intentional anything in the game is on the developers part. That's why GB were hoping there would be some crazy twist ending, but unfortunately it just seems the developers didn't realise what they were doing either I guess.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By prestonhedges

@KoolAid said:

@gladspooky said:

@KoolAid said:

Oliver is the one who is spoiled rich. I believe he is the one who is bragging about a black card in the beginning. His bio also says he is the one with the rich parents. And *Minor Spoilers* when you rescue him, he seems clueless to what a hard time everyone else is having, clueless to the amount of danger he was in and seems happy this adventure lead him to the house of the good doctor...

But I don't hate him, I like how much of an idiot he is. He is a good foil, and brings diversity to the group.

But you just called him spoiled rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must hate him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do you hate these characters?!!!?!!?!?!!!!!!?!!?????!?!!?!??!1 They're just cool dudebros, bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73  Edited By clush

@Jimbo said:

@murisan said:

Nope. Those are not regular 20 somethings. Those are spoiled brats with rich daddies that (from the intro) GAVE THEM A BLACK CARD. Know what a black card is? It's a credit card for "super-affluent high net worth individuals on a continual quest for the best and most exclusive. They own companies and frequently travel; they define success. Exceptionally discerning and style-conscious, Centurion members are global players who gain truly worldwide access to the inaccessible." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card (AMEX's version of the black card)

I prefer the term African American Express.

BOOM!

Thanks for making my reading this entire thread worth my time afterall.

Lyfeforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Lyfeforce

The game definitely plays up the affluent white "bro" stereotype, the kind of people that are care free and powerful enough to forget common sense and skydive onto a remote island without any knowledge of the area or it's inhabitants because some guy in an elevator said they should go there. It's like the characters in horror movies that keep going back to Elm Street/Crystal Lake/Someone's run down house in the woods with the added oomph of that annoying guy at the club that spills drinks all over you.

At least that's what I think many, including the Bomb Squad, don't like in the characters. I might be projecting, though.

Just my .02 here but I don't think there's a single likable character in the game, just bunches of entertaining ones.

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By huser

@Jimbo said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Jimbo said:

They could not even be given that option (also, I disagree that the whole point in becoming rich is so that your family can be rich after your death). Society made it possible for them to enjoy that level of wealth, and society could take most of it away again upon death if it chose to (and stopped 'accidentally' leaving loopholes in everything). Rich old men would be neither rich nor old for very long if not for the protection of society - they would be poor and dead. Capitalism is supposed to incentivise productivity, but it isn't supposed to support people never having to do anything productive in their entire lives just because their parents did something.

(I haven't actually played FC3 so I've no idea if any of this applies to these characters)

Well stated argument. Also love the newly christened AMEX card.

studnoth1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By studnoth1n

@ZeroV2: In all fairness, most people in their twenties are pretty superficial and self-involved, some more than others. I don't know what other people were saying, but I thought the characters were shit because they were just so generic and one dimensional. The motivation is sort of irrelevant, so long as it propels something interesting in the story. The one saving grace was the performances. The voice acting was effecting in spite of the writing, certainly not as a result.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#77  Edited By kaos_cracker

I thought they were typical jerks but I kinda liked them. The banter with them during some of the missions with them in them made me laugh and have a great time playing.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By TheHumanDove

@gladspooky said:

@KoolAid said:

@gladspooky said:

@KoolAid said:

But you just called him spoiled rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must hate him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do you hate these characters?!!!?!!?!?!!!!!!?!!?????!?!!?!??!1 They're just cool dudebros, bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is anyone else confused about what point gladspooky is trying to make? It seems like he might be taking a side one way or the other, but I can't be positive.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By clush

@TheHumanDove said:

@gladspooky said:

@KoolAid said:

@gladspooky said:

@KoolAid said:

Is anyone else confused about what point gladspooky is trying to make? It seems like he might be taking a side one way or the other, but I can't be positive.

Yeah it's some kind of sarcastic paradox, I'm not sure either.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Jimbo said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Jimbo said:

Society doesn't make anyone rich, I mean it could happen I suppose in a rare circumstance, but you have to earn it. Any society that takes away someones wealth because they "chose to" is not one I want to be part of and is certainly not America. That's not all loopholes either, so not sure what that meant.

I don't get you're whole argument really. Sure within the confines of society capitalism becomes possible, but you have to earn it. Things are not given.

Passing wealth on might not be the whole point but it sure is a lot of it. Again, what else should they do?

Some rich children do nothing. Some poor children do nothing too. It's not class warfare and I don't support vilifying the rich is all.

So off topic really in regards to the game though, that's the thing. It doesn't apply to the characters much beyond stereotypes. As I said they are more or less bros.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By prestonhedges

@TheHumanDove said:

@gladspooky said:

@KoolAid said:

@gladspooky said:

@KoolAid said:

I just find it hilarious that people are super defensive about this. It's weird to me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#82  Edited By Justin258

They're rich college 20-somethings who were on a vacation.

I'm in college, and I don't have a hard time picturing most college 20-somethings acting very similar to this if they were rich college 20-somethings and on vacation. They seem like all right people to me. Not particularly likeable, and not particularly well-written, but certainly not deserving of hate just from what I've seen. I haven't beaten the game, though.

EDIT: If you do hate them, are you sure it isn't because you're not the one with a "black card", a perfectly-chiseled athletic body, and a great vacation (bar the actual meat of the game)? You don't happen to be green with envy or something along those lines, do you?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#83  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I didn't think much of it until I saw the first flashback in the cave. Damn those kids are douchey.

Still, no reason to hate them. And Jason's pretty cool.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#84  Edited By MistaSparkle

@Etnos: I am thou, and thou art I...

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Rattle618

Self-centered, spoiled, ignorant buffons that have no real connection to the human beings around them and waste their lives at the expense of others... now that I put it this way, you are totally right, they are the norm and not the exception.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#86  Edited By Strife777

I don't think the GB crew actually hated them that much. It was mostly Jeff, and he tends to be pretty hyperbolic. I don't think he disliked the writing either, but the actual characters. He obviously doesn't wish anybody to be sold into slavery.

As far as to why, those characters are definitely a good representation of "douchey" upper class people. But the upper class is not the main issue, it just adds salt to the wound, so to speak. You have the tough guy who just wants to pick fights. the stoner with the rich father who gives him a black card. The military "oo-ha" guy who seems to always put that fact in your face. And overall, people who just don't have the no time or no money issue, and spend their time in clubs doing sambuka shots or doing extreme sports. The latter obviously being far from a bad thing, the former.... ehhh, open for debate.

Anyway, I think the characters sort of have a "redemptive" arc, realising the world is a little more fucked up than they thought, and they end up being alright. I personnaly like the characters in that game, not necessarely what they all are, but how they are portrayed.

And as far as the racial "issue" somebody pointed out, white power trip and all.... come on.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By cloudnineboya

Cos they wish they could be them to the point off hating their very souls. but the blond dude he needed to die a very painfull death yes yes he did.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#88  Edited By TheHBK

I still can't help but worry about some of the members of this community when they have to ask why these assholes in the game are douches.

No Caption Provided

I mean, look at that. On top of all that you got that, line, "to my dad's BLACK CARD, to MY BLACK CARD!" Man go fuck yourself. People that didn't earn what they have and then act as if they did are assholes. I understand wanting to give your kids everything, but when you don't teach them better, they end up like these punks.

Now if you want to see what a guy who pulls himself up from the ground out of nothing to be someone, take a look at this.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By DoctorWelch

Apparently they're upper .01% D-bags that have probably never worked a day in their life. Yeah, maybe it's a little far to wish death on these guys, but it's also not a stretch to imagine the story might do a 180 and reveal the protagonist is actually the bad guy, and it's kind of disappointing they didn't go in that direction. It would have made for a better story.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#90  Edited By ectoplasma

They're stereotypical college American in a bad way.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By TheCowman

Also, keep in mind that even if they are acting like normal 20-something "bros"; for a lot of older gamers (and sadly even some younger ones still) normal 20-something bros were often the enemy. The popular types who did things like big parties and Spring Break were often the types who looked down on and laughed at the gamers and "nerds".

So maybe some of the dislike comes from seeing them partying it up and stuff and recognizing it as the behavior of former tormentors.

Just a thought.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#92  Edited By LiquidPrince

@murisan said:

In other words, these are the children of CEO's. They are "the 1%" in the worst way. If this is what you think a regular 20 something is, then you yourself might be part of the problem. Getting parents to pay for everything, being handed jobs due to your parents' success or power, or just carrying the family name. Just saying.. most people don't see these characters and think, "hah, just like my friends!"

Yeah, I get that they're rich and pretty annoyingly flaunt their wealth. But that doesn't mean they deserve what the GB staff called them in the quick look and bombcasts. I believe at one point Jeff said "these are the type of people that deserve to be sold into slavery," or something to that affect. What? That is a ridiculous sentiment to have, especially so early in the game when you know barely anything about the characters aside from them being the rich party type characters.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Karkarov

@Oldirtybearon said:

Except that they don't. That's you projecting. They're written like a group of friends, any group of friends, really. Outside of Keith who draws attention to how manly he is (and that foreshadows a, eh, rude awakening, let's say), the three Brody brothers and the stoner friend (Oliver) are just good dudes looking to enjoy themselves. They're not pushy, rude, or excessively "cool." They're, in essence, you and your friends (if you have any).

That's why I don't understand the hate these characters get. All of the people complaining about them behave like them more than they think. They're solid people who are going on an adventure across Asia. Because Oliver's dad is rich that somehow makes them entitled douchebags, though.

TL;DR - apparently you can't be "a real person" unless you're poor and have no friends.

Wow. Uh no. The older brother and the two chicks (when they aren't both drunk) seemed okay. The rest of them reeked of entitled sacks who weren't worth the oxygen they were consuming. Oliver particularly. I also don't like how Jason acts in many instances. He goes from talking about how gross skinning a bear is to making a speech how killing a dude feels like "winning". Yes, he actually says "winning" in relation to killing a small army of people.

Of course if there was one group in this game I could wipe off the map it wouldn't be them actually. It would be the Rakkyat. Nothing pisses me off in that game like clearing an outpost on my own only to see some Rakkyat roll up and tell me "Your work isn't over... Go help with these tasks on the Job Board" then go on to say "Whose the man? I AM!" and the ever popular "It's ALL ME, ALL ME." I don't know about you but I don't recall seeing them at the outpost when I was fighting to take it over, I don't remember seeing one of them do a dead man hunt or go on a hunting trip either for that matter. Yet it is me who has more work to do? I don't think so. The real entitled pricks of this game is the Rakkyat.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By mrpandaman

@Strife777 said:

I don't think the GB crew actually hated them that much. It was mostly Jeff, and he tends to be pretty hyperbolic. I don't think he disliked the writing either, but the actual characters. He obviously doesn't wish anybody to be sold into slavery. As far as to why, those characters are definitely a good representation of "douchey" upper class people. But the upper class is not the main issue, it just adds salt to the wound, so to speak. You have the tough guy who just wants to pick fights. the stoner with the rich father who gives him a black card. The military "oo-ha" guy who seems to always put that fact in your face. And overall, people who just don't have the no time or no money issue, and spend their time in clubs doing sambuka shots or doing extreme sports. The latter obviously being far from a bad thing, the former.... ehhh, open for debate. Anyway, I think the characters sort of have a "redemptive" arc, realising the world is a little more fucked up than they thought, and they end up being alright. I personnaly like the characters in that game, not necessarely what they all are, but how they are portrayed. And as far as the racial "issue" somebody pointed out, white power trip and all.... come on.

This.

We can sum a lot of this to Jeff just being hyperbolic and the rest of the crew just tacking on for conversation.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By jerseyscum

Oliver does suck. His character profile in the handbook mentions numerous busts for drug possession and distribution. So he's the prototypical rich-asswipe drug dealer you see on college campuses. Oliver's the guy selling coke and pills to the fraternities to get into their parties. Or into a coke fiend's panties.

Despite the fact that he doesn't even need the money. Also having Daddy bail his ass out of any actual legal trouble and avoiding shower time with Bubba...something that would probably happen to any of us if we got busted for dealing makes him scum.

He's a reject from a Bret Easton Ellis novel.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#96  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

That intro cut scene and everything that happens in those club flashbacks do paint them as entitled 20-something douche bags, but my feelings did slowly start to turn around as I went through the game.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#97  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Well, it ain't right to hate the people who have what you want just because you want it and don't have it. If you were in their place, how the fuck would you be any different?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#98  Edited By tourgen

@ZeroV2: They are the worst of the worst. Privileged and too stupid to do anything useful or creative or even comprehend what's going on around them (partying on a pirate beach). I was right there with Jeff. Fuck those people.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Milkman

The problem is that the characters are your stereotype horror movie douchebags but unlike those movies, you never get the satisfaction of seeing them die horribly. (as far I know anyway, I haven't play the game I'm sure some of them die)

Also, it's super fucking stupid that we're still talking about this.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#100  Edited By crithon

for the same reason I enjoy seeing the teenagers slowly get killed off in Freddy Kruger films. It's basically shoving pop culture back down it's own throats.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.