Fez 2 cancelled because Phil Fish threw a tamper tantrum.

#251 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

@guppy507 said:

Phil doesn't deserve the treatment he gets. He's opinionated and blunt, that doesn't mean he needs to be called an asshole/hipster/f*g/tosspot/whatever every single day, and especially not by the gaming press.

But he is all those things. He treats his customers like shit, and he's smug about it. I remember when he said Fez was never gonna be on PC, then he released it on Steam and talked down to everyone that reminded him of that little comment. He's like a teenager still. Also I hate his stupid sideburns

#252 Posted by Milkman (16226 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

we are all way too sensitive.

text chat with a random user on the internet is just the worst as there is no way to get someone's "tone" through text.

How is "we're too sensitive" what you get from this?

Maybe the problem is that there are too many assholes. Again, I present this:

http://polytroncorporation.com/fez-ii-cancelled

I'd be worried if someone WASN'T affected by that. It's embarrassing.

#253 Posted by CrazyBagMan (801 posts) -

@missacre said:

@milkman said:

Since his Twitter is locked now and most people can't see it:

Good, I hope he doesn't come back. If you can't take a bit of criticism, you don't belong in the video game industry.

And yet there are so many people that can't take his own outspokenness that isn't ever directed at them personally. Read through what people say about him every time his name is mentioned and imagine those those all being said at you. You wouldn't want to fight back? Also if you don't get that to some extent he's just a big troll you're a moron.

#254 Posted by Abendlaender (2596 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

@jouseldelka said:

@mystyr_e said:

which is weird cause I was considering buying Fez off steam but was always like "yeah but do I want to give money to this asshole?" and uh....yeah

You base your support for video games on whether their makers are nice or jerks?

So you'd rather support a cinematic unimaginative 'experience' with rehashed gameplay because the developer is a kind person, than to support a fresh and bold title with replay value and new gameplay because the dev is a dick?

Yes, I would rather buy a game that might be bad because i like the person, then buy a game that might be good from a person i dont enjoy. Same reason so many people are going to buy a PS4 rather then an Xbox One, they very well could be the same exact thing, but one is made by sony, and one is made by microsoft.

Yeah, me too. Sorry, if a developer is an idiot (not talking bout Fish now, I don't have anything against the guy, I also didn't really like Fez), a racist or a homophobe I won't support them. I won't buy anything from Orson Scott Card. I won't buy anything from Douglas TenNapel and I won't buy anything from Kevin Dent, no matter how good. I'd rather support a bad game from nice guys then a good game from assholes.

#255 Edited by Daneian (1172 posts) -

I was really looking forward to more of Disasterpeace's music.

#256 Posted by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -

god I hope this is true

#257 Edited by MariachiMacabre (6936 posts) -

@crazybagman said:

@missacre said:

@milkman said:

Since his Twitter is locked now and most people can't see it:

Good, I hope he doesn't come back. If you can't take a bit of criticism, you don't belong in the video game industry.

And yet there are so many people that can't take his own outspokenness that isn't ever directed at them personally. Read through what people say about him every time his name is mentioned and imagine those those all being said at you. You wouldn't want to fight back? Also if you don't get that to some extent he's just a big troll you're a moron.

And calling the abuse he gets "criticism" is a real stretch. As someone on twitter said, looking at the comments on the Polytron blog about this, I would never, ever want to get into game development.

#258 Edited by ShadowConqueror (2993 posts) -

Phil Fish is awesome.

#259 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

@missacre said:

@milkman said:

Since his Twitter is locked now and most people can't see it:

Good, I hope he doesn't come back. If you can't take a bit of criticism, you don't belong in the video game industry.

And yet there are so many people that can't take his own outspokenness that isn't ever directed at them personally. Read through what people say about him every time his name is mentioned and imagine those those all being said at you. You wouldn't want to fight back? Also if you don't get that to some extent he's just a big troll you're a moron.

WELL, you know, IT IS the internet, so if someone was talking shit about me, all I have to do is close the page, bam, problem solved. Also, if he didn't want to be the laughingstock of the gaming community, he shouldn't have made all of those snarky comments about them. Oh, resorting to name-calling, really? Just for stating my opinion? Isn't that precious?

#260 Posted by Ekami (240 posts) -

why are people good riddance-ing? don't they want to have new games come out? it's all "NOW YOUR ART MEANS NOTHING CAUSE YOU SAID A MEAN THING YOU RACIST" and what does that have to do with awesome video games

#261 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

@missacre: Are you his ex? You're coming off way more catty than he ever did.

#262 Edited by Missacre (566 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: I've never met him, thank goodness. I just don't like him or his game.

#263 Edited by bigjeffrey (4156 posts) -

@milkman said:

Since his Twitter is locked now and most people can't see it:

Don't be a dick, asshole.

dished it out consistently, what did he expect.

THE INTERNET.

#264 Edited by BaconGames (3126 posts) -

@dantefaustesq said:

@bacongames: Oh hey look Phil's being a jerk but it's okay because he's the third coming of indie development. This is the bizarre double standard that he seems to live by that has always bothered me about the man. Fez was brilliant yes, but that doesn't mean I have to respect Phil Fish as a person or his opinion on anything.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you but I don't know if this is in reaction to something I said or not. At least I don't think I suggested at some point that people have to or should respect or like Phil Fish. I certainly did say that given his previous antics he doesn't deserve all the treatment he gets, although his behavior in return makes the situation ambiguous.

#265 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1771 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

@jouseldelka said:

@mystyr_e said:

which is weird cause I was considering buying Fez off steam but was always like "yeah but do I want to give money to this asshole?" and uh....yeah

You base your support for video games on whether their makers are nice or jerks?

So you'd rather support a cinematic unimaginative 'experience' with rehashed gameplay because the developer is a kind person, than to support a fresh and bold title with replay value and new gameplay because the dev is a dick?

Yes, I would rather buy a game that might be bad because i like the person, then buy a game that might be good from a person i dont enjoy. Same reason so many people are going to buy a PS4 rather then an Xbox One, they very well could be the same exact thing, but one is made by sony, and one is made by microsoft.

Yeah, me too. Sorry, if a developer is an idiot (not talking bout Fish now, I don't have anything against the guy, I also didn't really like Fez), a racist or a homophobe I won't support them. I won't buy anything from Orson Scott Card. I won't buy anything from Douglas TenNapel and I won't buy anything from Kevin Dent, no matter how good. I'd rather support a bad game from nice guys then a good game from assholes.

But the nice guys in this case is just a company more politely asking for your money.

#266 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19153 posts) -

A lot of the comments like those being posted here are pathetic, but I suppose expected since this is the internet. Pretty sad and dramatic turn of events.

#267 Edited by narujoe93 (2429 posts) -

Just remember people, this is what we lose if he isn't pulling an Andy Kaufman and really is done with video games

WARNING: VERY SPOILERY FEZ VIDEO (though, it wouldn't really make sense if you haven't played the game)

#268 Posted by planetfunksquad (368 posts) -

@dantefaustesq said:

although his behavior in return makes the situation ambiguous.

Fuck that. If someone verbally attacks you, give it back. There is no such thing as a moral high ground.

#269 Edited by Kill (300 posts) -

Fucking manlets, what will they do next?

#270 Posted by Turbyne (98 posts) -

@immortalsaiyan said:

@turbyne said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I'm hoping for a good Jimquisition out of all of this.

HELL YES!

Phil Fish is a lil baby.

I never thought of that. Should make a good episode. Jim Sterling is one of my favorite people in the industry.

I'll be honest, I don't understand the appeal of Jim Sterling. I find him incredibly annoying. Although, to be fair, I don't really like any of these video game media people that take on an "angry nerd" persona.

Jim Sterling is God's gift to the world.

He's different than other personalities, he's unique but very, very entertaining. I also feel like he has a pretty good opinion on a lot of things, perhaps not so balanced but respectable nonetheless.

Perhaps try watching a few episodes of the Jimquisition, if it's not for you that's okay.

#271 Posted by MrSpacs (22 posts) -

I feel like Jonathan Blow is addressing this stuff pretty well on his twitter. Journalists were just look for dumb quotes to put in their rushed to press stories about the XB1 self-publishing thing instead of seeking insight for intelligently written well thought out articles on the subject of self-publishing.

#272 Edited by OurSin_360 (755 posts) -

@itwongo said:

@oursin_360: Phil says he's been dealing with this kind of stuff for a long time now, and he said he was fed up with it.

From what I know, I think he's overreacting. But that's just it, I don't know the whole of it. Maybe this is an appropriate reaction.

I dunno, he can't be serious. Who would cancel a game because of a journalist? Unless he really has some issues, then i could understand not wanting to be in the spotlight anymore.

#273 Posted by Milkman (16226 posts) -

One last "choke on it":

#274 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

@itwongo said:

@oursin_360: Phil says he's been dealing with this kind of stuff for a long time now, and he said he was fed up with it.

From what I know, I think he's overreacting. But that's just it, I don't know the whole of it. Maybe this is an appropriate reaction.

I dunno, he can't be serious. Who would cancel a game because of a journalist? Unless he really has some issues, then i could understand not wanting to be in the spotlight anymore.

It's not Marcus Beer. He's been dealing with people shit-slinging at him for years. It's now reached the point where he just doesn't want to deal with it anymore. He's (apparently) walking away. Go look at the comments section of any article talking about Fish. Or hell, the comments section of the Polytron site, or read through this thread.

There's a lot of people throwing quicklime on the guy. It's hard to blame him for blowing up and walking away.

#275 Posted by RecSpec (3678 posts) -

This whole thing has blown up in the stupidest way.

#276 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1771 posts) -

@milkman said:

One last "choke on it":

You cant really get a "Last Laugh" if you blocked everyone your trying to laugh at.

#277 Edited by TruthTellah (7641 posts) -

I can understand him wanting to get away from all of this...

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9466/lto.gif

#278 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -
#279 Posted by BaconGames (3126 posts) -

I think the only reason he would reconsider is two things: 1) he doesn't know/want to do anything else besides make games and 2) the fans that legitimately love him and his work speaking out to bring him back. I wouldn't blame him at all if he got out of games though, especially now.

#280 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

@milkman said:

One last "choke on it":

That is precisely why I hate him so much. He's such a smug motherfucker and he has such a punchable face.

#282 Posted by Humanity (7945 posts) -

I suppose making games wasn't his true passion after all, well hope he finds it elsewhere.

#283 Posted by dudeglove (7250 posts) -

I watched Indie Game: The Movie, and I have to say that Phil Fish is a handsome man.

#284 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4282 posts) -

@milkman said:

One last "choke on it":

That cracks me the fuck up. Even going down in flames he's got nothing but middle fingers for err'body.

#285 Posted by BaconGames (3126 posts) -

I think at this point Phil Fish is reveling in it and he should be. Sure this will have consequences but in the short term, this is exactly the kind of cathartic shit you want from this situation if you were Phil. Again, I can't help but feel this is the most Phil Fish thing he could be doing right now.

#286 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

@humanity said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@humanity said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@crimsonjesus said:

I'm totally okay with Phil Fish, he's hilarious and Fez was pretty good. He's obviously got some issues but so do a lot of people, those people just have publicists.

This is how I feel.

It's not that they have publicists, some people can simply control themselves.

Emphasis on some. Everybody doesn't have tough skin and are able to shrug off dumb shit like that. I don't hold anything against him for not being able to handle the situation more carefully which is why people like that need PR reps *cough*Dennis Dyack*cough*

You can't go around talking the way he talks and then when others talk shit back to you get defensive and hurt. If you don't have tough skin, then be civil and calm. You can't tell me that he doesn't bring a lot of this on himself - on one hand he antagonizes people and makes no effort to try to quell the drama surrounding him, and on the other he gets upset that people are mean to him. You can't swing both ways like that. At this point it's a vicious circle that keeps feeding itself but it started somewhere.

That's why I take issue with what @milkman says because you can't say oh Phil Fish is a funny asshole but Marcus Beer is an annoying asshole. They're both crass and unrestrained in the way they speak. You can't sympathize with one of the assholes and vilify the other. Ironically enough, Marcus Beer commented Blows and Fishs decision to decline a quote in the most "Phil Fishest" way possible.

I'm kinda confused as to why you think I'm picking sides here. I'm not giving Fish a pass. All I see is someone one one side who is, like you said, an annoying asshole and then on the other side you have an over-emotional dude who can blow up from any kind of provocation. I've seen it before with Dennis Dyack, both dudes seem like great guys who can be temperamental when things get hairy....which is why it's great to see Dennis realize his own shortcomings and decided to leave that nonsense to PR.

It's easy to tell people to be "civil and calm" but you're only talking from what you would do if you were in that situation. If you have better control over your emotions then cool, more power to you man, but just because you can find a way to step above petty stuff doesn't mean that other people can do that just as easily. Perspective.

#287 Posted by DFSVegas (346 posts) -

Threw a temper tantrum? He was publicly attacked by a talentless hack. Stop pretending like you wouldn't react the same way in that situation.

I'm 100% on Phil Fish's side. This dude gets shit on more than any other person in gaming, simply because he has opinions people don't like.

I mean, Phil Fish isn't responding to criticism. He's responding to fucking unwarranted insults and attacks in a public forum. Why is nobody talking about what a shithead this Annoyedgamer guy is? He couldn't get quotes, so he goes on is little soap box and starts attacking people?

Why are we ignoring the instigator here? So some hack can turn on a camera and start insulting somebody unprovoked, but if the attackee responds, that guy is portrayed to have thrown a temper tantrum?

I'm not one of those people who thinks the internet is a irredeemable cesspool that actually does more harm than it does good... But I'm closer now than I've ever been. I can't believe a legion of people could get a story so wrong in such a small amount of time. The only explanation is that said legion is full of sociopaths.

#288 Edited by shinjin977 (706 posts) -

He might make a good game but he needs to grow up. It's like he's not all mentally there sometimes, jesus.

This is not about growing up tho. Phil is a rude person and a loud mouth but because of that he get shits on constantly by hundreds of videogame fans. Recently, he got almost the entire Xbox die-hard after him for shit talking Microsoft.

Now I do that sometimes too, even on social media but all I get is "dude chill out" and that's that. This guy, get accuse of threatening violence on his ex-gf and the constant "fuck you" from random people from morning til night. That shit is not ok for any body.

Game journalism, well, lets just say I have only ever consider one person working in the gaming press to be an actual journalist.

#289 Posted by jimmyfenix (3679 posts) -

@milkman said:

One last "choke on it":

That cracks me the fuck up. Even going down in flames he's got nothing but middle fingers for err'body.

I am more offended why vancouver is trending world wide :@

#290 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6936 posts) -

@abendlaender said:

@dagbiker said:

@jouseldelka said:

@mystyr_e said:

which is weird cause I was considering buying Fez off steam but was always like "yeah but do I want to give money to this asshole?" and uh....yeah

You base your support for video games on whether their makers are nice or jerks?

So you'd rather support a cinematic unimaginative 'experience' with rehashed gameplay because the developer is a kind person, than to support a fresh and bold title with replay value and new gameplay because the dev is a dick?

Yes, I would rather buy a game that might be bad because i like the person, then buy a game that might be good from a person i dont enjoy. Same reason so many people are going to buy a PS4 rather then an Xbox One, they very well could be the same exact thing, but one is made by sony, and one is made by microsoft.

Yeah, me too. Sorry, if a developer is an idiot (not talking bout Fish now, I don't have anything against the guy, I also didn't really like Fez), a racist or a homophobe I won't support them. I won't buy anything from Orson Scott Card. I won't buy anything from Douglas TenNapel and I won't buy anything from Kevin Dent, no matter how good. I'd rather support a bad game from nice guys then a good game from assholes.

But the nice guys in this case is just a company more politely asking for your money.

And what did Kevin Dent do?

#291 Posted by BaconGames (3126 posts) -

@planetfunksquad said:

@bacongames said:

@dantefaustesq said:

although his behavior in return makes the situation ambiguous.

Fuck that. If someone verbally attacks you, give it back. There is no such thing as a moral high ground.

I apologize if you misread me but I intended to refer to taking Phil Fish as a whole looking at his insight and antics together. Which that in mind it's no wonder he's polarizing and why people selectively choose to side with one or the other depending which comment on which side they take most offense with. That or it's also leads to the third option of no sides appearing in the right as many have reiterated which only results in a loss (unless a lesson is learned of course).

#292 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1771 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

@abendlaender said:

@dagbiker said:

@jouseldelka said:

@mystyr_e said:

which is weird cause I was considering buying Fez off steam but was always like "yeah but do I want to give money to this asshole?" and uh....yeah

You base your support for video games on whether their makers are nice or jerks?

So you'd rather support a cinematic unimaginative 'experience' with rehashed gameplay because the developer is a kind person, than to support a fresh and bold title with replay value and new gameplay because the dev is a dick?

Yes, I would rather buy a game that might be bad because i like the person, then buy a game that might be good from a person i dont enjoy. Same reason so many people are going to buy a PS4 rather then an Xbox One, they very well could be the same exact thing, but one is made by sony, and one is made by microsoft.

Yeah, me too. Sorry, if a developer is an idiot (not talking bout Fish now, I don't have anything against the guy, I also didn't really like Fez), a racist or a homophobe I won't support them. I won't buy anything from Orson Scott Card. I won't buy anything from Douglas TenNapel and I won't buy anything from Kevin Dent, no matter how good. I'd rather support a bad game from nice guys then a good game from assholes.

But the nice guys in this case is just a company more politely asking for your money.

And what did Kevin Dent do?

I don't know what did he do?

#294 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4479 posts) -

The out-of-nowhere announcement of FEZ II with no gameplay - or anything really - followed by this abrupt cancellation is certainly...

Fishy.

#295 Edited by Mushir (2388 posts) -

This is too much fun. Hold on, I'm gonna get some popcorn.

#296 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1278 posts) -

Holy shit I'm fucking dying over here.

That was really funny.

#297 Posted by planetfunksquad (368 posts) -

@bacongames: Fair enough. I just have a problem with people suggesting that he shouldn't defend himself. OK, telling someone to kill themselves is kinda dumb, but in the heat of the moment I can see how that would come out. I know I've said far worse in retaliation.

I see your point though.

#298 Posted by wjb (1551 posts) -

@truthtellah: Holy shit! Did they splice a poodle with a crocodile?!

...freaking nightmare factory.

#299 Posted by VincentVendetta (210 posts) -

"Well what do you expect, it's the internet DUH!"

I expect people to be grown-ups. I expect people to treat each other with the minimum of respect even when they disagree with their opinion. I expect people who got fucking bullied when they were kids to not do this shit to anyone else, especially when they're in their 20s. I expect this bullshit "it's the internet, get over it" not to be a good reason to continue being complete fucking asshole, pretending it's a game of that it's the only place it's still okay to say this sort of thing.

And I mostly expect this industry never to grow up if you keep showing up the worst of what the internet has to offer every fucking day of your stupid, insipid, worthless, pathetic, close-minded fucking little life.

#300 Posted by Karmum (11509 posts) -

What a whiny bitch. I feel sorry for the other people at Polytron.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.