Maybe Don't Download That New Fez Patch

• 85 results
Posted by Alex (2294 posts) -
You may want to skip the new Fez patch.

The almost absurd obsession with getting things just right often displayed by Polytron founder Phil Fish is well known among most independent gaming circles, especially now that said obsession has been shown to the world at large via Fish's role in Indie Game: The Movie. Having seen the anger and anxiety Phil shows when things don't go quite right, it's not too terribly difficult for one to imagine how he might be reacting to the realization that the first patch for Fez is kind of broken.

Yes, Polytron's long-awaited patch to its previously long-awaited Xbox Live Arcade game has arrived, and it does fix many of the issues intended, including several crash bugs and save file issues. However, it also comes with a very important caveat, in that it may now read your save file as corrupted. The good news is that there is a potential workaround. If you flush your Xbox 360 cache, it should fix the problem. However, if it doesn't, then there is currently no other solution. It's worth noting that flushing your system cache deletes all patches and updates to the system, which means that the game will just ask you to install the patch again upon reboot. You'll then have to play the game offline to avoid installing the patch.

Polytron, for its part, is "floored" that the issue wasn't discovered during testing, and will update on the situation once they know more.

So, hey, maybe don't install that patch just yet. And if you see Phil Fish walking around cursing up a storm, maybe give him a little breathing room until all of this is resolved. There's no sense in upsetting him more than he almost assuredly already is.

#1 Posted by Alex (2294 posts) -
You may want to skip the new Fez patch.

The almost absurd obsession with getting things just right often displayed by Polytron founder Phil Fish is well known among most independent gaming circles, especially now that said obsession has been shown to the world at large via Fish's role in Indie Game: The Movie. Having seen the anger and anxiety Phil shows when things don't go quite right, it's not too terribly difficult for one to imagine how he might be reacting to the realization that the first patch for Fez is kind of broken.

Yes, Polytron's long-awaited patch to its previously long-awaited Xbox Live Arcade game has arrived, and it does fix many of the issues intended, including several crash bugs and save file issues. However, it also comes with a very important caveat, in that it may now read your save file as corrupted. The good news is that there is a potential workaround. If you flush your Xbox 360 cache, it should fix the problem. However, if it doesn't, then there is currently no other solution. It's worth noting that flushing your system cache deletes all patches and updates to the system, which means that the game will just ask you to install the patch again upon reboot. You'll then have to play the game offline to avoid installing the patch.

Polytron, for its part, is "floored" that the issue wasn't discovered during testing, and will update on the situation once they know more.

So, hey, maybe don't install that patch just yet. And if you see Phil Fish walking around cursing up a storm, maybe give him a little breathing room until all of this is resolved. There's no sense in upsetting him more than he almost assuredly already is.

#2 Edited by Eristocrat (440 posts) -

Aha! is this my chance?

Edit: Got it!

#3 Posted by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

that asshole phil fish is probably fucking breathing fire at polytron

#4 Posted by LiquidPenguins (181 posts) -

Is that why it took 5 years to make fez

#5 Posted by Coafi (1490 posts) -

Woah, imagine all the people downloading this right now, losing their saves files. Cries of anger everywhere!

#6 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

Makes you wonder what their patch testing department does all day when they delay these things for months and then don't even test out the most basic functionality, like, I don't know, if a game completely destroys the save file...

#7 Posted by ParamedicFoetus (63 posts) -

Anyone any idea on whether this affects only old pre-patch saves or if starting a new game and saving that would still be open to the bug?

#8 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2056 posts) -

Phil Fish got got by little Jimmy.

#9 Posted by Bravestar (381 posts) -

by far the best XBL release this year. I hope they are faster with the next patch, so more people can enjoy it.

#10 Posted by kindgineer (2771 posts) -

Really hope they fix this patch, I can see a lot of unhappy customers if their hard-earned effort is completely eradicated due to a bug. I should know, a bug erased my Cloud save for the damn game and now I'm too discouraged to return to it :/.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Maybe the busted patch is part of the metagame. Has anyone run the numbers to find out what percentage of players the bug affects, then converted that number into hexadecimal and plugged the result into an ICBM address or something?

@Eristocrat said:

Aha! is this my chance?

Edit: Got it!

With that post, I'd say the achievement is well deserved.

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11308 posts) -

Good thing I already beat Fez!

#13 Edited by cannonballBAM (605 posts) -

#14 Posted by Wes899 (2119 posts) -

Oh well, I already did everything there was to do.

#15 Edited by CookieMonster (2423 posts) -

Fuck sake. Downloaded it earlier.

#16 Posted by thebigJ_A (1004 posts) -

@cannonballBAM said:

@Bravestar said:

by far the best XBL release this year. I hope they are faster with the next patch, so more people can enjoy it.

He didn't say "worst".

#17 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@cannonballBAM said:

@Bravestar said:

What?

#18 Posted by evanbower (1215 posts) -

All part of Phil's master plan.

#19 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

@evanbower said:

All part of Phil's master plan.

To give himself a stress induced stroke?

#20 Posted by porr (178 posts) -

I lost my save game a month or two ago and had to start over. It really made me never want to pick up the game again...

#21 Posted by karmaghost (168 posts) -

Do you think most of the shouting and cursing Phil Fish is doing right now is in English or in French?

#22 Posted by Gordo789 (359 posts) -

bwahahaa, gg polytron.

#23 Posted by mropinion (44 posts) -

People are still playing Fez?

#24 Posted by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

Based on what I've seen from Indie Game the Movie. I'd say Phil is just too damn meticulous with his stuff. He focuses so much on the details he misses the obvious shit. Unfortunately it also seem like he just curses himself into oblivion for it rather than try to improve from it.

#25 Posted by DavoTron (155 posts) -
@onan

Makes you wonder what their patch testing department does all day when they delay these things for months and then don't even test out the most basic functionality, like, I don't know, if a game completely destroys the save file...

What testing department? Isn't it like 3 dudes?
#26 Posted by Otzlowe (337 posts) -

One of the few instances where I think that Alex was decidedly the wrong choice for writing an article, considering past events. Normally, I don't mind at all. Here, some of the comments sound spiteful. Not so cool.

#27 Posted by bybeach (4901 posts) -

Stop pulling Mr. Fish's tail, Alex.....

#28 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

Hey, its okay, Phil Fish makes perfect games and doesn't need the big developers for anything!

#29 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

Another reason to wait a day or so on downloading a new patch for ANYTHING.

#30 Posted by tamriilin (97 posts) -

@onan:one, they don't have a "patch testing department", it's literally him and one other dude. Two, they didn't "keep delaying the patch", they kept sending it to Microsoft for certification and it was taking forever.

Do SOME research at least PLEASE.

#31 Posted by TheGorilla (230 posts) -

@DavoTron said:

@onan

Have you never heard of Microsoft certification? Microsoft doesn't just upload every file their given no questions asked.

#32 Posted by Illuminosopher (334 posts) -

Karma?

#33 Posted by Oni (2104 posts) -

So I should be good if I started a new game today, right? I just started playing it for the first time today.

#34 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

Do you have to pay Microsoft money to push out a patch?

I thought Bioware said something like that, but I'm not sure.

#35 Posted by StillAThreat (40 posts) -

I have been unable to play this game since experiencing a crash a week after release. Patched first thing this morning and now it says my save file is corrupted. Do I really want to start this game over and lose the 56 cubes I've collected? Grrrrrrrrrr!

#36 Posted by ImsumDave (1 posts) -

@Illuminosopher said:

Karma?

Uh...for what? The internet overreacting to a relatively harmless things he said, that was misinterpreted by most.

#37 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -
@Crixaliz

Yeah, it's some ridiculous number like 40k, IIRC.
#38 Posted by radioactivez0r (862 posts) -

Hrm, I haven't touched it since I finished the first playthrough. Guess I'll wait.

#39 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

So Microsoft in their great wisdom allowed $40K to be released into their bank account for a patch which wipes out every save....

#40 Posted by Ammut (25 posts) -

I had a similar issue just weeks after launch... my save file was lost. As much as I love the game I probably wont finish it now, starting from scratch and redoing it just wouldn't be much fun.

#41 Edited by onan (1286 posts) -

@TheGorilla said:

@DavoTron said:

@onan

Have you never heard of Microsoft certification? Microsoft doesn't just upload every file their given no questions asked.

Thank you.

@tamriilin said:

@onan:one, they don't have a "patch testing department", it's literally him and one other dude. Two, they didn't "keep delaying the patch", they kept sending it to Microsoft for certification and it was taking forever.

Do SOME research at least PLEASE.

Learn SOME reading comprehension, PLEASE.

I was referring to Microsoft Certification when I said "they." EVERYTHING going through them takes forever, and that's fairly common knowledge. Retail games, XBLA games, DLC, and patches. Why you'd assume I was talking about Polytron, I have absolutely no idea.

#42 Posted by HatKing (6025 posts) -

@yoshimitz707 said:

@Crixaliz

Yeah, it's some ridiculous number like 40k, IIRC.

In a way, I sort of support this idea... well, providing it worked. My assumption is that it is intended to discourage shipping of broken games just to patch them on release. I mean, it doesn't really stop people from shipping broken games, so...

#43 Edited by charlie_victor_bravo (1047 posts) -

I have had no problems with patches for modern Japanese games...

#44 Posted by Humanity (9604 posts) -

@glyn said:

So Microsoft in their great wisdom allowed $40K to be released into their bank account for a patch which wipes out every save....

Thats not exactly how that bug works

#45 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1730 posts) -
@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Yep, my Soul Calibur Sexy Maid Outfit Super Pantsu Edition DLC installed just fine. 
#46 Posted by xyzygy (10032 posts) -

Sounds like this will push back or even fully cancel the possibility of this game ever getting a release on other platforms. They need to get this version right first, then think about other platforms. If another patch will take this long to create, they might just be satisfied with the game as it is and decide not to revisit it to port it to other platforms... and start another game?

Seeing as how it'll take another 5 years.

#47 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Hey Alex maybe you should release a patch before writing an article about someone elses patch???

#48 Posted by chrissedoff (2153 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle: Alex is a bug

#49 Posted by WiqidBritt (578 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Yep, my Soul Calibur Sexy Maid Outfit Super Pantsu Edition DLC installed just fine.

probably because it was already "installed" on the disc

#50 Posted by DEFE (260 posts) -

Oh, I would have been pretty bummed if my file got corrupted. Thanks for the heads up, Alex.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.