Yeah, Fez Has a Release Date

Posted by patrickklepek (3471 posts) -

After years of development, a couple of re-designs and a few public gaffes later, Fez is finally done.

Designer Phil Fish announced last night on Twitter that Fez would be released via Xbox Live Arcade on a rather appropriate date: April 13. You’ll only be paying 800 Microsoft Points ($10) for it, too.

Fez was first revealed all the way back in 2007, and loosely had a release window several times, only to be delayed over and over again. The game was a source of controversy at this year’s Independent Games Festival, as Fez won for “Excellence in Visual Art” in 2008, which also came with $2,500, and the “Seumas McNally Grand Prize” this year, which came with a much bigger pot: $30,000. The rules on entering twice may change next year.

Fish also made waves around the same time for deeply criticizing Japanese video games during the Q&A session for Indie Game: The Movie, following a question from a Japanese designer in the audience.

In a few weeks, though, we'll have the best way to judge a designer: their game.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3471 posts) -

After years of development, a couple of re-designs and a few public gaffes later, Fez is finally done.

Designer Phil Fish announced last night on Twitter that Fez would be released via Xbox Live Arcade on a rather appropriate date: April 13. You’ll only be paying 800 Microsoft Points ($10) for it, too.

Fez was first revealed all the way back in 2007, and loosely had a release window several times, only to be delayed over and over again. The game was a source of controversy at this year’s Independent Games Festival, as Fez won for “Excellence in Visual Art” in 2008, which also came with $2,500, and the “Seumas McNally Grand Prize” this year, which came with a much bigger pot: $30,000. The rules on entering twice may change next year.

Fish also made waves around the same time for deeply criticizing Japanese video games during the Q&A session for Indie Game: The Movie, following a question from a Japanese designer in the audience.

In a few weeks, though, we'll have the best way to judge a designer: their game.

Staff
#2 Edited by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

Really excited to play this.

#3 Edited by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

looks like a nice game

#4 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

*throws money*

Take it, please. And $10? A steal.

#5 Edited by Freezer_Burn (207 posts) -

Finally? Hopefully it'll come to Steam/PSN.

#6 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

Whoop-de-doo.

#7 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

::running softball pitch of a wad full of money:: Finally! Gonna play the shit out of this game.

#8 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -
#9 Posted by IndeedCodyBrown (391 posts) -

Yes. 10 bucks hell yeah.

#10 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

Would sure like to give these dudes my ten dollars if the game were say...on other platforms

#11 Posted by Ett (183 posts) -

Sooo yes its turns around and then ? what is this game about ?

#12 Posted by Bollard (5253 posts) -

GOT HYPE

GREAT PRICE

BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR NEARLY 3 YEARS

<3

#13 Posted by Sweetz (488 posts) -

I guess I'll be buying it in a year when the XBox exclusivity agreement expires and it comes to Steam. A year is too long to hold these games hostage to a single platform. :(

#14 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

The game's visual style is amazing. I still don't really know how it plays though.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (23889 posts) -

Meh. I have no intention of rewarding Fish's inflated hipster ego.

#16 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

Looks neat, too bad Phil Fish is a douchebag.

#17 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -

so how much for the PSN version?

oh... what?

#18 Posted by Sergotron (475 posts) -

Ten bucks you say? Yes I will be buying this.

#19 Posted by CornBREDX (4805 posts) -

cant wait to play this. just a shame its not on PC.

#20 Posted by MeatSim (10765 posts) -

Then Japanese game developers said all Phil Fish games suck.

#21 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -
#22 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -

I look forward to not buying this

#23 Posted by 617_jbug (343 posts) -

@Sweetz: I read some of his comments and it seems he doesn't want to do a PC version.

#24 Posted by Brodehouse (9585 posts) -

I really want to play this game.

I also feel like this game has received more push, probably unintentionally, from journalists than any other game I can remember in a while. Is it because Phil Fish is always available to say something bananas? Is it entirely because of the game? There's mess talk about how GB was too close to the Bastion, but it feels like the entire media is too close to Fez.

#25 Posted by Bravestar (380 posts) -

finally! it looks really interesting.

#26 Edited by Skanker (254 posts) -

Disasterpeace makes fantastic music. I feel like he should be getting much more recognition than he is for his work on this game.

#27 Posted by Deathpooky (1374 posts) -

$10? Crazy awesome! Even shitty and/or short XBLA games these days get the $15 treatment most of the time. I was gladly going to pay $15 for this - $10 sounds like a steal.

#28 Posted by Phatmac (5721 posts) -

Even if Phil acted like a dick, I'll still buy this game. I just want to play good games, so here's hoping Fez was worth the wait.

#29 Posted by Brackynews (4045 posts) -

For anyone so inclined, the achievement list is out too. Yes it's "just" 200 points. Wasn't worth another delay to double it. :)

#30 Posted by smokyexe (254 posts) -

Wait. It's only for XBL? Bring it to Steam, jesus.

#31 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@smokyexe said:

he believes this is a game where you should play it with a controller so it's not coming to steam

there are no such things as controllers for PC games you see

#32 Posted by LiquidPenguins (181 posts) -

I don't know about you guys but I don't approve of the shit Phil Fish likes to run his mouth about and as good as that game looks there is no way I would spend money on it.

#33 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

I feel like this is an incredibly hipster thing to say.

#34 Posted by wh1terav3n (656 posts) -

@Sweetz: It's not coming to steam. Phil has said that this is a console game and will never come to steam because it "is something you sit on a couch on a saturday morning and relax with. It is not a PC game" We'll see if that holds, but knowing him, he'd rather die than have his game go somewhere else for money.

#35 Posted by BisonHero (6169 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@smokyexe said:

he believes this is a game where you should play it with a controller so it's not coming to steam

Ah, of course. Silly me, for owning a PC and not an Xbox 360. I've been entirely unable to play all of those controller-based games for years!

#36 Posted by Hailinel (23889 posts) -
@Mesoian

@Hailinel said:

Think that if you like, but I have no desire to support him.
#37 Posted by geekbot (110 posts) -

Been looking forward to this game for while. Can't wait to play is when it comes out. :)

#38 Posted by Kamikaze_Tutor (157 posts) -

Don't visit the link on his twitter post unless you want free seizures.

#39 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Hailinel: Im sure he will be on street corners soon without your support.

#40 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I don't care for this game, trololololo

#41 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@Animasta said:

@smokyexe said:

Ah, of course. Silly me, for owning a PC and not an Xbox 360. I've been entirely unable to play all of those controller-based games for years!

Makes sense to me. I assume that Steam wouldn't want to release a game that requires you to own a controller to play it without allowing for any kind of keyboard control (disclaimer:no facts were consulted in the making of this assumption), so then the only option would be to not release it.

I mean, the whole notion that you can only enjoy the game with a controller, on your couch, in front of a TV, seem kinda dumb but as long as you buy into that it's what he believes, then it makes sense.

#42 Posted by Hailinel (23889 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior

I don't care one way or the other.
#43 Posted by Deusx (1903 posts) -

Game looks very interesting but I don't think it will live to the hype. Also Phil Fish is a fucking asshole so there's that.

#44 Posted by GakuJiu (4 posts) -

Oh yay, the trailer still shows no gameplay.

#45 Posted by darkvare (758 posts) -

i still don't get it what exactly is this game about?

#46 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Mesoian

@Hailinel said:

As you wish. It's fine as long as you're doing it out of disinterest or apathy rather than out of spite against any words against the glorious ideals of the infallible or unflappable nippon. Though he said what he said in a pretty jerky way, I think he was 100% correct. Most of the Japanese developers who are still making things worth playing seem to agree as well.

#47 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -
@GakuJiu

Oh yay, the trailer still shows no gameplay.

Oh they've definitely shown gameplay, search it.
#48 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Bourbon_Warrior

I don't care one way or the other.

Yet you commented on this to let the people know that your not buying it. Heil Halinel

#49 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

@BisonHero said:

@Animasta said:

@smokyexe said:

Makes sense to me. I assume that Steam wouldn't want to release a game that requires you to own a controller to play it without allowing for any kind of keyboard control

You mean like all modern console games after they've been ported over? *ba-dum-tsh*

#50 Posted by Hailinel (23889 posts) -
@Mesoian

@Hailinel said:

@Mesoian

@Hailinel said:

As you wish. It's fine as long as you're doing it out of disinterest or apathy rather than out of spite against any words against the glorious ideals of the infallible or unflappable nippon. Though he said what he said in a pretty jerky way, I think he was 100% correct. Most of the Japanese developers who are still making things worth playing seem to agree as well.

Are you channeling HandsomeDead, by chance?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.