Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

FF XIII to have DLC

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lard

From Destructoid:

Square Enix once said that DLC had not been planned for Final Fantasy , but the publisher never quite ruled it out and today there are hints that extra content could definitely arrive. XIII's director, Motomu Toriyama, has told gamers that they'll need to keep XIII nearby "forever," because some treats may be on the way.

"From the announcement at E3 2006, we've at last reached this day. Final XIII is released today," says Toriyama in a message to Japanese fans. "For the Final Fantasy XIII world, this is the true start. Perhaps if you keep it nearby forever, there will be some additional good things."

So, what could these "good things" be? The obvious answer would be downloadable content, although it's also possible that he might be hinting at a relationship between XIII and other games to be set in the XIII universe, namely Versus and Agito. Perhaps possessing all three games will lead to some cool interactivity between them, or maybe bringing the whole set together summons Captain Planet.

Et tu Squeenix?

Fuck. Oh well, that's $70 saved.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael
    • You don't know if it's DLC.
    • Even if it is DLC, you don't know if it's going to cost money.
    • Even if it is paid DLC, nobody's forcing you to buy it. I assume Final Fantasy XIII is going to be around 60 hours long and if that doesn't satisfy you... well, sucks for you.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Cerza

I wouldn't be surprised if it has DLC since everything seems to have it these days. It's become the standard.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate

oh shit- better not buy the game then

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lard
    @OmegaPirate said:

" oh shit- better not buy the game then "

Exactly. 

I will at least wait and see before I decide, but if it's paid DLC, it's not worth owning. 

@Cerza said:

" I wouldn't be surprised if it has DLC since everything seems to have it these days. It's become the standard. "

And that is exactly the problem.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iamjohn
    @Lard said:
    " @OmegaPirate said:
    " oh shit- better not buy the game then "
    Exactly.   I will at least wait and see before I decide, but if it's paid DLC, it's not worth owning.  "
    This is comedic.  It's not like they're giving you short shrift and cutting stuff out of the main game.  Yet because there's the potential for DLC to exist, you're not going to buy it.  Cutting off your nose to spite your face, much?
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JDDrewes

My only problem is when developers ANNOUNCE DLC the day that the game is released, or even before then. Because they had material that could've been in the game but they just decided to shaft all of their customers instead. Since there's nothing confirmed, there's nothing really to complain about.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By essaregee
    @Lard said:
     but if it's paid DLC, it's not worth owning. 

Depends what the paid DLC is, for example if it something substantial like a new dungeon with new mobs and gear as well as proving to be like 5 hours of new gameplay then sure, I'll buy it. However if it is something stupid like a new ring or new weapon, then it can go to hell.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It's all been said before, but your phobia of DLC is very silly.  Yes, I agree when developers cut off parts of the game to sell to us, it's ridiculous and should not be supported in any form.  But developers releasing new content after the game is released to keep it going, is absolutely a good thing.  For example, if they decided the only way to get Snow on your party now was to pay for him.. that would be outragous.  But if they decide to flesh out his backstory by creating some new quests that revolve around him in a few months, that's fine.  If you care enough about Snow and playing more content, you can get it.  If not, don't.

But how can you possibly hate DLC but claim owning three games to unlock new content would be "cool"?
    In cases like that the content is ALWAYS already on the disc, and is held back just to make you buy more games.  That's exactly what you're trying to oppose here with DLC, so you completely invalidated arguement.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

Is that...pee...going into Kirby's mouth? 

/facepalm

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gike987

Before i believe you link to where you got the quote. 
    And not the obscure forum with a post probably made by yourself.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Lard: You ever hear about a little something called sarcasm 
    And btw, that game is going to be freaking long, it's probably going to be worth it without the dlc
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By jkz

I'm quite certain everyone has had enough of your trolling.

One word for you:

No Caption Provided
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By General_D23

Indeed. By the looks of it, every big singleplayer game next year is going to have DLC. It'll be a very unentertaining year for you, it seems.
    Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lard
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " It's all been said before, but your phobia of DLC is very silly.  
      " But how can you possibly hate DLC but claim owning three games to unlock new content would be "cool"? In cases like that the content is ALWAYS already on the disc, and is held back just to make you buy more games.  That's exactly what you're trying to oppose here with DLC, so you completely invalidated arguement. "
    It's not a phobia. It's a fact. I never claimed anything of the sort about any games being "cool".   I used that as another example of an invalid use of DLC.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Lard said:
    It's not a phobia. It's a fact. I never claimed anything of the sort about any games being "cool".   I used that as another example of an invalid use of DLC.  You have no idea what you're talking about. "
    @Lard said:
    "Perhaps possessing all three games will lead to some cool interactivity between them"
    Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lard
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Lard said:
    It's not a phobia. It's a fact. I never claimed anything of the sort about any games being "cool".   I used that as another example of an invalid use of DLC.  You have no idea what you're talking about. "
    @Lard said:
    "Perhaps possessing all three games will lead to some cool interactivity between them"
    "
    I didn't say that, nor would I ever say that - you're getting your quotes wrong buddy.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind

No Caption Provided

This is the type of thing we don't want to see from games.  Purposefully holding back content to try and make as much money from the consumers as possible.
    But DLC doesn't necessarily mean this.  Adding NEW content for us to play through can be a good thing, and if you don't want to pay money for it, you won't be missing out on the core game.

As far as we know, they're not holding back anything that was supposed to be in the game, and until we have a reason to believe that's the case, you're just trolling.
    Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lard

Um - i didn't write that - that was part of the original post I took from Destructoid. 

Here's the post that it's quoted from.

http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-xiii-director-hints-at-potential-dlc-158083.phtml

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SteamPunkJin

It's Square-Enix, if you've ever played FFXI you'll know that they will happily nickle-and-dime the shit out of you for minimal content. If it's DLC expect to pay for it, and expect to be disappointed.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CowMuffins
    @jukezypoo said:
    " I'm quite certain everyone has had enough of your trolling.

One word for you:

No Caption Provided
    "
    Indeed.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By meteora

DLCs are not nearly as evil as people would think of them. Burning Paradise launched a flux of DLCs and people appreciated it; though I suppose you could argue that almost all of them were entirely free. There was simply not enough time or space on the disc to add the content. And sometimes that content might feel out of place if you added it into the game. But whatever, I can't really convince people since they tend to like making up their minds and not changing it.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By weltal

Sweet.  I love DLC.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CL60

You must not own very many games if you don't buy games for the simple fact they have DLC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.