Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

FFXIII : Press 'A' repeatedly

• 109 results
    methmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By methmouth

I'm about an hour in and so far it sucks. Does combat get anymore involved than rapidly pressing the A button?
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Cornman89

Yes. Whether that vindicates the opening hours or not will be a matter of taste, though.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

I've also noticed that I have been pressing the "A" button on the 360 version a lot. However, that doesn't really make it suck. I'd rather have confidence in knowing that most things can be done with just one button than trying to fumble around my controller in the heat of battle.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By jimbo_n

The combat gets way more involved but you'll still be pressing A _ALOT_ in this game.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yukoei

People are judging RPGs by the first hour now? great.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gabriel

Am I the only one that finds it weird they sent Brad a copy of the Xbox-360 version instead of PS3, since PS3 shows better?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

This sounds like a good game to use my turbo on my arcade stick for.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    The Halo generation at its finest.
    Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Inf225

I'm about 7 or so hours into it now... its pretty hectic... there's a lot of strategy and constant paradigm changes required to continue, even in average battles... but it's true a lot of rpg fat has been cut from the game.. but its a good thing! Not having to select every single attack makes leveling and progressing less of a chore. And the linear structure just helps remove the stress of a rpg, you'll never get confused as to where to go next and you won't feel stressed about leveling the wrong way... those were my biggest issues with the prior ff games and the lack of those is great!

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yukoei
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    The Halo generation at its finest. "

Are talking about me or the TC?
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    That's not really fair. He's so used to holding down the triggers so much he just feels so alienated. Give the guy a break, let him vent.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @Yukoei said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    Are talking about me or the TC? "
    The TC.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yukoei
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    Are talking about me or the TC? "
    The TC. "

Ahh, okay. In that case I agree with you.
    megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By megalowho
    @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    I've played and enjoyed my share of RPG's where the first few hours are slow. But it sucks every.. single.. time.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ace829

I'm on the fence about this game. I know the game is decent but what I want to confirm is whether it's $60 decent. If only Square Enix could just give us a friggin demo.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @methmouth said:
    " I'm about an hour in and so far it sucks. Does combat get anymore involved than rapidly pressing the A button? "
    I really don't get what people want. First there's people complaining about a game being hard because there's all these button sequences to press and then there's people complaining about a game being crappy because there's only one button that's mainly used.
    RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By RedHerb
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    Why shouldn't you, really? I mean it's an 1 hour you have chosen to spend playing a video game. Shouldn't it be fun? And if it's not then that's a problem isn't? 

To qualify,  I only have spend 40 min with the game, and most of the that was kinda boring fights with cutscenees which felt that they were over compensating for that. 

I a vested interested in the game and still want to keep playing because i know there will be more too it . After how many hrs of game time that will be who knows? but don't except everyone to have the time and patience to "put up" with this inane Japanese game design philosophy!
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJOR64
    @Ace829 said:
    " I'm on the fence about this game. I know the game is decent but what I want to confirm is whether it's $60 decent. If only Square Enix could just give us a friggin demo. "
    A demo would be nice.  I would DL it.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By demontium
    @methmouth said:
    " I'm about an hour in and so far it sucks. Does combat get anymore involved than rapidly pressing the A button? "
    Check the reviews and come back 
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By defaulttag

Renting it at the moment. PS3 version, so pushing X a lot and forward on the analog stick. Boring so far. kinda bummed out.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#21  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Jimbo_N said:
    " The combat gets way more involved but you'll still be pressing A _ALOT_ in this game. "
    This isn't any different from any other Final Fantasy game.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By demontium
    @Inf225 said:
    " I'm about 7 or so hours into it now... its pretty hectic... there's a lot of strategy and constant paradigm changes required to continue, even in average battles... but it's true a lot of rpg fat has been cut from the game.. but its a good thing! Not having to select every single attack makes leveling and progressing less of a chore. And the linear structure just helps remove the stress of a rpg, you'll never get confused as to where to go next and you won't feel stressed about leveling the wrong way... those were my biggest issues with the prior ff games and the lack of those is great! "

Why don't you post more man, you're awesome! 
    Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kbm600
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    I feel as though this is an unfair call. The very first game I had in an xbox was Halo, the second was KOTOR. The one that ended up affecting me the most was the latter. Not everyone who's young and grew up with first person shooters ( I am, and I did) judge RPG's this harshly. I'll admit that Final Fantasy has never interested me as a whole, but I am a casual RPG fan and this game puts me off worse than others have from its impressions on the net. (Not just on Brad through the bombcast, but multiple sites)
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LiquidPrince

Brad... started this onslaught of negativity =?

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cornman89
    @Hailinel said:

" @Yukoei said:

"

"
    Ah. How wonderfully reductive. =P

Seriously, though, I've been thinking about this--and I'm sure this is a tangent--since we figured out how this game actually plays. Player feedback; the idea of making him or her feel involved. RPGs have always, for me, had this weird disconnect between player input and onscreen action--you're not pressing A to attack, you're pressing A to tell your dude to attack through a menu. FFXIII takes this one step further by making direct input irrelevant--you're not telling your dude to cure his friends, you're putting him in the Medic job and letting him do what Medics do. It's a bold design choice--and like FFXII, boils player input down to its barest and most honest foundations--but I can see that being a head-scratcher for a lot of people.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By Cube
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Brad... started this onslaught of negativity =? "
    Oh yeah it is an ONSLAUGHT man. Totally.
    Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Inf225
    @demontium: Sarcasm?

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mooshu
    @RedHerb said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    Why shouldn't you, really? I mean it's an 1 hour you have chosen to spend playing a video game. Shouldn't it be fun? And if it's not then that's a problem isn't?   To qualify,  I only have spend 40 min with the game, and most of the that was kinda boring fights with cutscenees which felt that they were over compensating for that.   I a vested interested in the game and still want to keep playing because i know there will be more too it . After how many hrs of game time that will be who knows? but don't except everyone to have the time and patience to "put up" with this inane Japanese game design philosophy! "
    Fucking this. A video game is supposed to be fun. If it takes a whole hour for a game to be fun, then what will that say about the rest of the experience? Occasional high mark fun segments with mostly boring tedium segments? Yeah, no thank you. The older Final Fantasy games were fun from the very start. Everyone else remember the opening bombing mission from VII? Badass. Or those freaking awesome magitek mechs from VI? 

If a game fails to grab you in some way within the first hour, it's probably not worth seeing through.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ace829
    @Inf225 said:
    " @demontium: Sarcasm?   "
    Nah. I think it was genuine.
    Cross_Marian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cross_Marian
    @Inf225: Finally someone who speaks the truth about this game. Something positive. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel
    @Mooshu said:
    " @RedHerb said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    Why shouldn't you, really? I mean it's an 1 hour you have chosen to spend playing a video game. Shouldn't it be fun? And if it's not then that's a problem isn't?   To qualify,  I only have spend 40 min with the game, and most of the that was kinda boring fights with cutscenees which felt that they were over compensating for that.   I a vested interested in the game and still want to keep playing because i know there will be more too it . After how many hrs of game time that will be who knows? but don't except everyone to have the time and patience to "put up" with this inane Japanese game design philosophy! "
    Fucking this. A video game is supposed to be fun. If it takes a whole hour for a game to be fun, then what will that say about the rest of the experience? Occasional high mark fun segments with mostly boring tedium segments? Yeah, no thank you. The older Final Fantasy games were fun from the very start. Everyone else remember the opening bombing mission from VII? Badass. Or those freaking awesome magitek mechs from VI?   If a game fails to grab you in some way within the first hour, it's probably not worth seeing through. "
    Remember the amount of time Persona 4 took to set up and introduce the player to the game?  It was a good four hours or so before you finally had full control of where to go and what to do.  God forbid games take their time to set things up.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32  Edited By Symphony

Someone here hasn't played Persona 3 (or 4, for that matter). At least FFXIII let's you do something in the first hour of mashing that A button ;P

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Inf225
    @Cross_Marian: I appreciate your support :)
    @Hailinel: I couldn't say it better myself...

In the end, you like it our you don't. but don't let the lengthy intro or its obscure battle system make that decision for you...
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Faint

i heard that its even better if you get to push x rather than a. 360 version that i saw running side by side in jb hifi is noticably worse graphically. the stairwells are choppy, but much smoother on the ps3 for example, and lightnings hair looks a bit choppy around the edges on 360 too. the game is 'linear' so far, but im pretty sure that unless the word had caught on everyone's tongues after a couple of reviews mentioned the word, 90% of people wouldnt have noticed it anyway, espcially if there wasnt a map to view. the game is slowly introducing the combat concepts which i actually like, as i remember that in many parts off ff9 and a few of the others, id just get blitzed with game concepts all at once and it would be too much to take in, or rather you didnt want to sit there and read it all for so long, and just wanted to play, so i think they've done a good job of managing that. you can see that the further you get in the more it starts to loosen up and let you take control. i didnt like the very intro to the game where they were using all the world terms like l'cie etc all squished into the same sentences, leading you to barely understand what they were talking about as you dont know what those things are yet, but now that im a bit further in ive picked it up so that's all good. graphics are amazing, the music is fantastic (except a few that im not overly fond of, but i dont hate either). i think vanielle's voice is excessively annoying (i cant tell what nationality her voice actor is? at first i thought it was brittish, then i thought it was some dodgey attempt to sound aussie (im an aussie so that's fair call!) oh and that other shiela with the 'steve irwin' aussie accent is horrific. just for the record, 95% of australians dont sound like that.

the game is hardly deserving of the poor end reviews so far, and the start of the game is meant to be the low point with the 'linierarity', by which at a point it opens up a lot more. any site that's given this game a 5/10, 6/10 etc is safe to ignore forever.

EDIT: just thought id further make mention to the repeated pressing of a/x in the game. you ARE navigating a menu are you not? so using one button to select each option in the menu seems logical to me? i mean at least its not like kh where you press the button to hit them over and over, or even games like god of war to some extent. there seems to be an awful lot of uneccessary bashing of the game.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mooshu
    @Hailinel:  I have played Persona 4, and I enjoy that game quite a bit. But the way Persona 4 sets up the story is much better than how 13 does it. You actually care about the characters, and the voice acting is really well done.  All the characters are really fleshed out.

I said in my previous post that the game has to grab you "in some way," be it though gameplay, story, or presentation. Persona 4 does this through story and presentation.

Final Fantasy XIII so far has not grabbed me personally in any of those categories.
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By REDRUN
    @methmouth said:
    try pressing the X for an hour, you might like it.....  NM, its still the same.
    Cross_Marian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cross_Marian

The first hour of Final Fantasy XIII is more like watching a movie. The cut scenes are beautiful, I don' know about the 360 version, but Square-Enix used the PS 3's graphics to it's full extent. I do agree that the first 1 or 2 maybe 3 hours is slow but it starts picking up after that and all of a sudden you realize that you have played 10 hours worth of the game. People need to realize that this game is 60+ hours long and sometimes you just need to sit back and re-lacks and enjoy the story. Everything now a days have to be extravagant but I really like Square's simple approach to the game. It is like a roller coaster you don't know where it's going to take you.      

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Cube said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " Brad... started this onslaught of negativity =? "
    Oh yeah it is an ONSLAUGHT man. Totally. "
    Indeed.
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Faint
    @Mooshu said:
    " @RedHerb said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    Fucking this. A video game is supposed to be fun. If it takes a whole hour for a game to be fun, then what will that say about the rest of the experience? Occasional high mark fun segments with mostly boring tedium segments? Yeah, no thank you. The older Final Fantasy games were fun from the very start. Everyone else remember the opening bombing mission from VII? Badass. Or those freaking awesome magitek mechs from VI?   If a game fails to grab you in some way within the first hour, it's probably not worth seeing through. "
    i can probably list hundreds of games that i didnt find fun in the first hour, mainly because that's the period in the game where you have to do a bunch of reading and tutorials to learn the controls, unless its a completely common control scheme for a genre, used in many games before it. one game i didnt find interesting in the first hour was fallout 3. oblivion also falls into this category for me. i could go on but i dont wanna start arguments over games i have/might list. this generation is nuts. the attitude is almost like saying that if you dont like the first page of a book then its not worth reading. what happened to people's attention spans? if everything worked that way, then arguably there would be an overwhelming lack of detail to all forms of media. its like people who listen to 2-4 minute pop songs, with an audience who for the most part cant stand songs that go for longer, even if they are more complex and interesting. i fear the day that video games become infected with 'mtv 2-4 minute disease', unless its already come, which is the impression im getting from a lot of people's impatience.
    Cross_Marian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cross_Marian
    @Inf225: No problem anytime. 
    Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Qorious

Or if you're on the PS3, press X repeatedly. :)

RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RedHerb
    @Hailinel said:
    " @Mooshu said:
    " @RedHerb said:

" @Hailinel said:

" @Yukoei said:
    "

"
    Why shouldn't you, really? I mean it's an 1 hour you have chosen to spend playing a video game. Shouldn't it be fun? And if it's not then that's a problem isn't?   To qualify,  I only have spend 40 min with the game, and most of the that was kinda boring fights with cut scenes which felt that they were over compensating for that.   I a vested interested in the game and still want to keep playing because i know there will be more too it . After how many hrs of game time that will be who knows? but don't except everyone to have the time and patience to "put up" with this inane Japanese game design philosophy! "
    Remember the amount of time Persona 4 took to set up and introduce the player to the game?  It was a good four hours or so before you finally had full control of where to go and what to do.  God forbid games take their time to set things up. "
    I would still argue that the the opening terrorist attack in FFVII, and arriving in a new town of Persona 4 were more interesting then the start of FF13.  Those games elegantly set the tone of the game where as FF13 put an insipid,nonsensical action sequence and a long corridor of medicore battles.

I don't know...maybe it did set the tone of the game and i just don't know yet.
    Cross_Marian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cross_Marian
    @Faint: I completely agree everything you wrote. Now a days everything has to be fast pace. I to have played many games where the beginnings were slow but ended up really great games. Like Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. One of the best games of all time did not have a particularly fast pace intro it was actually rather slow but nonetheless a great game.      
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cornman89

@Faint said:

" i fear the day that video games become infected with 'mtv 2-4 minute disease', unless its already come,  "

It's already come.

As far as FFXIII goes, a slow opening isn't the best reason to write the game off as shit. But the thing is, it's not a "slow" opening. You're in the midst of a civil uprising. The train you're on goes off its rails. If the gameplay is unable to convey the action its cutscenes are trying to convince you of, then that's the gameplay-story disconnect, which has always been the genre's Achilles' Heel.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Turambar
    @Mooshu said:

" @Hailinel:  I have played Persona 4, and I enjoy that game quite a bit. But the way Persona 4 sets up the story is much better than how 13 does it. You actually care about the characters, and the voice acting is really well done.  All the characters are really fleshed out. I said in my previous post that the game has to grab you "in some way," be it though gameplay, story, or presentation. Persona 4 does this through story and presentation.  Final Fantasy XIII so far has not grabbed me personally in any of those categories. "

Yes, the characters are all fleshed out.  A good dozen hours after the game has started.  By the end of the first hour of the game in Persona 4, we were all still making fun of Dojima and Nanako as Dojima called and said he couldn't come home for the first of many times.  For a site that spent half a year experiencing Persona 4, I'm honestly surprised so many here balk at the idea of a game taking its time to set up a story. 

For the record there are things the game does poorly with the slow set up.  I've mentioned already that by limiting the combat to such a degree for a good 2 hours, the game does it mechanics no service.  However as story and plot setup, I don't see any of the failings that are being pointed at FFXIII. 
    slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By slantedwindows

engadget said the game doesn't get any different until about 13.5 hours in... 

NOTHX
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Turambar
    @slantedwindows said:
    " engadget said the game doesn't get any different until about 13.5 hours in...  NOTHX "
    Except paradigm shift changes the entire battle system completely, as well as opens up the joy  system.  That's 2 to 3 hours in.  I'd say either engadget spent 13 hours in the first area of the game (unlikely), or completely neglected to mention a rather large portion of the game.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

likely, thank god its not like crisis core where you really could go through the entire game with attk attk dodge over and over.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SBYM

How dare someone want to enjoy the early parts of a game; it HAS to be the person's fault, not the game's.

XanaGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By XanaGear

I've found the best way to put it in this way....the actions are all done with the X/A buttons YES but by pressing L1 then selecting a preset of 3 classes it changes what X/A does, so instead of hitting cure, then attack, then spell, done, your hitting L1/LT then choosing if each character is gonna cure/attack/ cast a spell. It's a streamlined and imo way more fun way that redefines what your doing to cure/ cast a spell, or attack. Seriously guys give the combat a chance it's a change, and it's for the better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.