• 69 results
MoeB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MoeB

Wow does the giantbomb panel realize that Valve does everything they mention but still allows its community to run their own dedicated servers?  
"You can't achieve player persistence with dedicated servers."  They claim....
Well then... how does Valve do it with TF2 (Hats, unlocks, achievements, class updates, new maps)? They should have thought it out more before they came to that conclusion.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Feser

I fail to understand what you are getting at.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

What exactly is he saying? I haven't listened to it yet.

sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sammpoo

wait what are you saying? You're words are all over the place...

MoeB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MoeB
@Feser: It was mentioned that Infinity ward would be unable to control players who hacked their profiles to get all the weapons and up themselves to level 55 "illegally." And the only way around this would be for them to get rid of dedicated servers and come up with their own battle.net. Well Valve does this and much more while still allowing their TF2 community on the PC to run their own dedicated servers.
Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Feser
@MoeB:
Valve does not have a problem with this because they do not have a leveling system in their games. Even so, I think they have also had problems with hackers.
MoeB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MoeB
@Feser: They do indeed have a levelling system in TF2. As you unlock new items you're basically levelling up your player class. Everything that you unlock is stored on Valve's servers and is associated with the players' account.
ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ToadRunner

you are right about all this.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Feser
@MoeB:
Alright, you got me and you got a valid point. Not to be rude but if you want people to hear your valid point you should try posting it on the other threads.
MoeB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MoeB
@funcmode: You're correct. But if Infinityward is making a "huge investment", as they claim, in the PC version with IW.NET then why don't they just build a backend similar to that of Steam? Seconly, if this game supposedly has Steam support then why can't they just use what Valve has already developed as a platform?
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By MasturbatingBear
@MoeB said:

"  Wow does the giantbomb panel realize that Valve does everything they mention but still allows its community to run their own dedicated servers?  "You can't achieve player persistence with dedicated servers."  They claim....Well then... how does Valve do it with TF2 (Hats, unlocks, achievements, class updates, new maps)? They should have thought it out more before they came to that conclusion. "

jesus fucking christ.  this is getting annoying...   
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Red

A dedicated server can help xp boosting. That's fo sho chocobro.

MoeB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MoeB
@Red: thanks funky student.
pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By pwnasaurus
@Red:
why do you care? true skill will beat equipment any day...
neon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By neon321

I love me some giantbomb, but hearing these guys talk about PC games is just plain embarrasing. I'd rather they just flat out admit they have no clue what dedicated servers are about and move on to topics they do have knowledge about. 

Alas, can't have it all, there's other websites / podcasts for that, and their console coverage is awesome as always.

Jackalofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jackalofdeath

its all BS answers and statements solely because they are trying to give confidence to the ignorant consumers that will go to their websites, and wonder why people are in an uproar about it. 
If you look at the forums , there are plenty of ignorant people posting believing they are now enlightened with some BS idea as to why "this is better". Its not, anyone with common sense would know better.

if you need to know how bad multiplayer will be, go try your luck with farcry 2 multiplayer on PC. I think it took about 1 weekend  before it became impossible to create a full match. All forced automatching.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PowerSerj
@neon321 said:
" I love me some giantbomb, but hearing these guys talk about PC games is just plain embarrasing. I'd rather they just flat out admit they have no clue what dedicated servers are about and move on to topics they do have knowledge about. "
Word. It's not that big of a deal, but having four ostensibly console-oriented people that are pretty out of touch when it comes to PC video game related things talk about PC video game related things can get kind of annoying.
Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PowerSerj: needs more Dave.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Milkman

I really don't get how these "hardcore PC gamers" (as they seem to like to call themselves) complain about matchmaking and how it's somehow UNPLAYABLE. Have you ever even played a console game? Not everything is always going to be perfect for you. Is choosing your game from a list really that important? Can't we just fucking play games and shut the fuck up?

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#22  Edited By Ping5000
@Milkman: It's much, much more than choosing from a list. 

Honestly, this is a non-issue for me, because I don't play competitively or seriously, but I totally understand where the frustration and disappointment is coming from. A lack of dedicated servers effectively makes the chances of a sustained, devoted community existing very low and the inability to adjust a metric ton of modifiers for competitive play makes it harder for competitive play to exist. 

Again, none this truly matters to me, but this is one outcry I feel that is entirely justified.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Milkman
@Ping5000: Exactly. It doesn't matter to you and it doesn't matter to me. So, how many people does this actually matter to? Obviously, there is a certain demographic that is going to be shut out here but is that demographic really big enough to matter in the grand scheme of things? No. This game will still shatter sales records and still be one of the most critically-acclaimed games of the year. Which is why all this bitching is so silly. What's the point of getting worked up about something that doesn't matter? Just don't buy the game if you don't like it.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bones8677

PC Gamers hate this because it's another sign of PC Gaming's inevitable death. You want to hear ignorant gamers who are out of touch? Try listening to the IGN PC Podcast "Command Prompt," and hear their take on PCs vs Consoles. "Games are made on PCs they are not made on consoles, this shows that PC gaming will never die, in fact it will not be long before there is a resurgence of PC gaming and it will soon overtake consoles and be the dominate platform in the market." 

If it wasn't for Blizzard and Valve, PC Gaming would already be dead.

neon321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By neon321
@Milkman said:
" @Ping5000: Exactly. It doesn't matter to you and it doesn't matter to me. So, how many people does this actually matter to? 

How about anyone in Eastern Europe, Australia, Asia, South America etc? They just get dumped in a random game, instead of being able to filter by ping.

In a nicely adminned server on PC, those racists / teamkillers / game disrupters that frequent Xbox Live will get the boot and will never be able to join again. Quite nice if you can use a server like that, something that would never work in a matchmaking only system.

Also, there's a huge competitive scene playing MW1 on PC, pretty sure those guys were looking forward to MW2. Guess it doesn't matter, cause the console version will sell a ton anyway?
Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#26  Edited By Ping5000
@Milkman: It's just empathy. I feel sorry for those guys. Communities have been built around dedicated servers and I think it blows that they won't be able transfer their communities over to the The Biggest Release of All-Time Ever.

This is MW2. People want to play this. The reason PC gamers are going crazy over this is because IW is stripping dedicated servers from a game they want to play. It's kind of an oxymoron, I know.
indigo_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By indigo_man

idc about dedicated servers. As long as COD:MF has DX10 (or even better DX11) support then im a happy camper.,
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

If hardcore PC gamers think Giantbomb and the staff don't know anything about PC games, why the hell are they on the website, complaining about it, and making topics about issues that they think this website doesn't concern?

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TonicBH
@Bones8677 said:
" PC Gamers hate this because it's another sign of PC Gaming's inevitable death. You want to hear ignorant gamers who are out of touch? Try listening to the IGN PC Podcast "Command Prompt," and hear their take on PCs vs Consoles. "Games are made on PCs they are not made on consoles, this shows that PC gaming will never die, in fact it will not be long before there is a resurgence of PC gaming and it will soon overtake consoles and be the dominate platform in the market."   If it wasn't for Blizzard and Valve, PC Gaming would already be dead. "

But... PC gaming isn't dead. It's never been on the verge of dying. It' just that console gaming has become more widespread since the 90s, and there's not a 70-30 PC-to-console player ratio.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bones8677
@TonicBH said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" PC Gamers hate this because it's another sign of PC Gaming's inevitable death. You want to hear ignorant gamers who are out of touch? Try listening to the IGN PC Podcast "Command Prompt," and hear their take on PCs vs Consoles. "Games are made on PCs they are not made on consoles, this shows that PC gaming will never die, in fact it will not be long before there is a resurgence of PC gaming and it will soon overtake consoles and be the dominate platform in the market."   If it wasn't for Blizzard and Valve, PC Gaming would already be dead. "
 But... PC gaming isn't dead. It's never been on the verge of dying. It' just that console gaming has become more widespread since the 90s, and there's not a 70-30 PC-to-console player ratio. "
Dude, take a look at the kind of games that come out for Consoles, now take a look at games that are coming out for PCs that aren't MMOs or RTSs. And aren't ports from consoles. Face it, once developers figure out how to effectively put MMOs, and RTS on consoles, PCs will be dead.
Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm assuming everyone is just talking about the gaming side of PCs right? It's versatility as a tool is a totally different story, I mean how else would you trash talk on forums.

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TonicBH
@Bones8677 said:
Dude, take a look at the kind of games that come out for Consoles, now take a look at games that are coming out for PCs that aren't MMOs or RTSs. And aren't ports from consoles. Face it, once developers figure out how to effectively put MMOs, and RTS on consoles, PCs will be dead. "
There are more than just those genres on a PC, man. There are PC-exclusive FPSes, Adventure games, casual Popcap-style games. Just because consoles share the same genres as PCs hardly constitutes that "PC gaming is dying."
MoeB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MoeB

The whole point behind this thread is to bring to light the face that you don't need to get rid of dedicated servers in order to achieve what Infinity ward is claiming is unobtainable without getting rid of the dedicated servers.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chokobo

The reason TF2 stats are able to be kept is that it is a valve game and the stats are kept through Steam, the only service that you can play TF2 through.

Therefore, in order to track that persistence is MW2, IW would have to make their own third party service that you are required to log into to track stats.  However, I don't think that they needed to get rid of dedicated servers.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By subject2change

IW can control dedicated servers if they wanted, hell it'd be a way to make more money. Have them test mods before they are released publicly and prevent maps and exploits so people can't speed level or whatever. Ideally IW dropped the ball on this. Dedicated competitive PC gamers want the servers solely because of scrimmages and matches, non competitive people (like myself currently as i quit playing competitive games in 2005) want a regular place where they can play with people within a certain skill level, map preference and gamestyle as those they are with and are with regularly that aren't on friends lists or whatever.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ch13696
@funcmode said:
" Valve don't need to get rid of dedicated servers because you have to play Valve games through Steam in the first place. They already have that whole backend in place and use your steam account to store things like achievements, unlocks etc. "
Then IW should go through Steam as well. Just like with Sony and PSN and Xbox with Xbox Live. Steam is PC's implemented software to get around this.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Evilsbane
@MoeB said:

" @funcmode: You're correct. But if Infinityward is making a "huge investment", as they claim, in the PC version with IW.NET then why don't they just build a backend similar to that of Steam? Seconly, if this game supposedly has Steam support then why can't they just use what Valve has already developed as a platform? "

He speaks truth

When it really comes down to it I just don't get IW's stance its just Pissing everyone off and at the end of the day fine maybe it will be easier for them to control it like that but that sounds like they are ripping out good features to make things easier for them? Nice real nice don't find a solution just destroy a tried and true system and replace it with an inferior system.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@TonicBH said:
" @Bones8677 said:
Dude, take a look at the kind of games that come out for Consoles, now take a look at games that are coming out for PCs that aren't MMOs or RTSs. And aren't ports from consoles. Face it, once developers figure out how to effectively put MMOs, and RTS on consoles, PCs will be dead. "
There are more than just those genres on a PC, man. There are PC-exclusive FPSes, Adventure games, casual Popcap-style games. Just because consoles share the same genres as PCs hardly constitutes that "PC gaming is dying." "
could you name a significant one other than crysis?
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By Evilsbane
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" @TonicBH said:
" @Bones8677 said:
There are more than just those genres on a PC, man. There are PC-exclusive FPSes, Adventure games, casual Popcap-style games. Just because consoles share the same genres as PCs hardly constitutes that "PC gaming is dying." "
could you name a significant one other than crysis? "
Well there is . . . and. . . uhh. . . OH THERES . . . Shit they're all RTS games.
spudzdk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spudzdk
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" @TonicBH said:
" @Bones8677 said:

And Crytec even came out and said they wouldn´t stay PC exclusive anymore in future titles. furthermore, Adventure games and "popcap style" casual games are on consoles as well. But what few PC games are exclusive seem to be because of principles on the part of the developer (blizzard, valve, indie devs) rather than any real businessside desicion. 

Personally I don´t think the PC gaming will die. I do feel like PC gaming is turning more and more into microsofts "second console" rather than the seperate kind of machine it has traditionally been.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RsistncE
@funcmode said:
" Perhaps Activision dissuaded them from going the all-steam route and instead they opted to take this path. They wouldn't want to build a backend like Steam because Steam is primarily a content delivery system, it just so happens to have the benefits of being able to track achievements and unlocks (etc) because of the way it was built.  Also, as far as I can see the game won't have Steam support, as that would split the users between Steam and IW.NET (or at the very least make the system very complicated) which would totally undermine IW.NET's purpose in the first place. IW.NET does use Valve's Anti-Cheat though. I think that's all they've confirmed, but I could well be wrong about the steam support.   They could have obviously gone about this whole thing without getting rid of dedicated servers though, that much is true, I guess they're just control freaks. "
Actually IW already said it's secondary support system would be steam because they are actually using VAC, steams built in anti cheat system, to prevent hacking in MW2. The OP is 100% correct here and once again there is absolutely no reason to be moving away from dedicated servers. IW and Activision can go suck a chode, i hope their game get's pirated to hell and back.
spudzdk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By spudzdk

@RsistncE:
If you dont want to buy the game don´t play it. There is never a reason to condone nor to excuse piracy.

Aside from the obvious reasons for not encouraging stealing, if Activision sees their title do badly in retail but get pirated to shitz they will just tighten the grip even more and go even further in making honest buyers feel like they are being criminalized (like we see with the way-too-strict DRM we saw in RA3 and Spore among others). They would NOT get the point and it would NOT achieve what you think it would.

Only if the game does not sell well and does not get pirated because of these choices will activision be unable to push the blame unto someone else (ie the consumers).

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By tranquilchaos

PC gaming isn't dying. It's just becoming more of a niche. 

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Remember the Sega Genesis? Did you or a friend ever have the Sega CD or 32x, that ugly mushroom parasite thing? They were made to squeeze every last drop of life from the platform. Blizzard and Valve are their modern day reincarnations. When people say PC gaming is dying, they're talking about the overall lack of blockbuster games in varying genres. Of course Solitaire and Minesweeper are never going away.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Scooper

Activision should of had Steam support and achievements, dedicated servers and all that comes with it for the PC version. They didn't. So bugger them.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gike987
@Turtlemayor333 said:
" Remember the Sega Genesis? Did you or a friend ever have the Sega CD or 32x, that ugly mushroom parasite thing? They were made to squeeze every last drop of life from the platform. Blizzard and Valve are their modern day reincarnations. When people say PC gaming is dying, they're talking about the overall lack of blockbuster games in varying genres. Of course Solitaire and Minesweeper are never going away. "
Or all the niched indie titles that are released by people that don't have the money to develop. You know, games with an actual heart and not only a huge corporations next attempt to empty your pockets.
mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mhkjtha
@MoeB said:
" The whole point behind this thread is to bring to light the face that you don't need to get rid of dedicated servers in order to achieve what Infinity ward is claiming is unobtainable without getting rid of the dedicated servers. "
You're absolutely right and you have won a cake.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dbz1995
@pwnasaurus said:
" @Red: why do you care? true skill will beat equipment any day... "
You think that up until you are against a dude with a magical forcefield that prevents everything from attacking him and shoots hedgehogs at you with a crossbow. Either you are gonna run into one of the hedgehogs, you are gonna get hit by one just by pure luck, or the National Society for Prevention to Cruelty to Animals will come and kick his ass. And thats teaming up, which is cheating.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RsistncE
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" @TonicBH said:
" @Bones8677 said:
Oh I don't know....basically every FPS in existence maybe? RTS's, MMO's and FPS's are all better on the PC, that's a fact. The PC still makes more money than any of the other platforms so if you honestly think the PC is dying you couldn't be further from the truth.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RsistncE
@slyngelag: Activision knows as well as anyone else that there hasn't been any solid evidence of piracy actually affecting sales (mostly because those same pirates wouldn't buy the game in the first place). When companies games get pirated to hell it actually sends a message that they're doing something wrong. It worked for EA and I guarantee you it will work for Activision because hey these companies don't seem to listen otherwise.