StarCraft Vehicles

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#1  Edited By Marino  Staff

I don't really know anything about StarCraft (or RTS's for that matter), so I need some help with this.  For vehicles and other things that are getting added to the database as concepts, is that the correct classification?  Should they be concepts or objects?  I have someone arguing that since it's an RTS, they are units and therefore concepts, but I really don't understand this argument.  To me, I see a description telling me it's a vehicle or a warp gate and that says Object page to me. 

But again, I don't know shit about SC. 

Discuss. 

Warp Prism     
Void Ray  
Sentry 
Probe  
Phoenix  
Mothership  
Immortal  
Colossus  
Carrier

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By guiseppe

I don't get that argument at all. They physically exist (within the game) and thus they are objects. The term "unit" could be a concept, if anything.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

They should be listed as Objects and not Concepts.

A brief extract from the Wiki FAQ;

Objects

Like franchises, in-game objects can be very broad or very specific, allowing for object pages as general as Sword and as defined as Master Sword. The relationship should always be meaningful; Grass is only important in a few different titles, so don't list every game that has ever featured grass. Objects include vehicles, weapons, and basically any piece of technology that lacks sentience.
Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By Forcen

Is "The Hyperion" an object or a location?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Forcen said:
" Is "The Hyperion" an object or a location? "
Its an object. The areas inside are locations. 
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hamz
@Forcen: Object.
Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Tasus

Well, I'm not a huge Starcraft lore-ist, but I'm pretty certain that if a fallen Protoss warrior (i.e. Zealots, Dark Templars) is still alive and not completely destroyed after a battle, they (or their soul(?)) are placed within a vehicle. So that they actually are the unit, they are not "driving" a vehicle. 

Anyway, since I'm the dude who made these pages, I would gladly take on the deed of converting them all to object pages(if it has to be done manually) if I am mistaken.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By NoXious
@Flaime:
You are correct, fallen Warriors (good example is Fenix from StarCraft I) that can't use their bodies are put in Dragoons. It's the same concept as Dreadnoughts in Warhammer 40,000.
Since in StarCraft 2 Dragoons no longer exist, I assume it's Immortals now. Don't know if Stalkers are made using fallen warriors too.
tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By tmthomsen

The Probe is a robot as far as I know. Are robots concepts or objects?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hamz
@TMThomsen: There is a Robot Object page and a Robots Concept page. This is because...

• A robot is a non-sentient thing in video games just like a Sword is.
  • Robots are a theme in many video games similar to the Undead.

@NoXious: The WH40K Dreadnought is classified under the Object category.  

Common sense sort of dictates that the Object category is the more relevant one to include SCII units under. That is what they are, objects in a game to be used by the player. You're not sitting there chatting to your protoss stalker's finding out how they feel, what they got up to at the weekend etc. Sentience is (arguably) being able to feel emotion, conciousness etc and that is often portrayed through dialogue and physical contact. Can't say I've heard of protoss stalker's chatting it up on the battlefield or crying out in pain when the Zerg attack them :P
Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tasus
Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tasus

So before I start with adding all the Terran units, I just wanted to ask some questions. The Siege Tank is an object page, but what about units like the marauders or reapers?

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Deusoma

The Immortals are actually cyborgs, not vehicles, the dudes inside are permanently bonded to the structure, so they at least would count as concepts, but as far as I know, all the others are robots or vehicles, which I guess would make them objects.

EDIT: And someone totally pointed this out already, my bad.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#14  Edited By Marino  Staff
@Flaime said:
" So before I start with adding all the Terran units, I just wanted to ask some questions. The Siege Tank is an object page, but what about units like the marauders or reapers? "
If marauders and reapers are essentially a class of terrans, it should be a concept.
Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Gilsham

Marauders, Firebats, and Reapers are all terrans in different suits i'd say the name applys to the suit rather than the terran in it so I'd put them up as objects

Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tasus
@gilsham:  Marauder is the "nick name" for that kind of infantry unit. If you want to make it an object page I think you'd have to make it for the marauder's suit, not the actual unit. Much like a Space Marine or a Healer class.
Zeemod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Zeemod

Units like Templar/Marauders/Firebats/Reapers refer to the talents, attributes and gear of each living person inside them... so I think they should be concepts (you wouldn't classify the army, navy, or airforce as 'things' would you?). All zerg units too... because they're more like creatures (which are concepts). Vehicles refer to what the machine being piloted is... an is thus an object/thing.
On another note, what's the deal with editing things so they can be changed from 'concept' to 'object'? If it can't be done yet, I think someone should have access to have the ability to change the categorization.

Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tasus
@zeemod155: I'm not sure what your point is? All units like the marines, templars and zerg units are already concepts while vehicles are objects.

The only unit which still could be discussed whether its a concept or an object is probably the Stalker, since it's not really a vehicles, but a "being" (almost like zerg creatures).
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By shirogane

I would personally put the Stalker under concept, since it is essentially a living being. If other infantry units are under concepts, it should also be. This also leads to less confusion when searching for units. 

Do things count as objects even if there's multiple versions of them?
Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tasus
@Shirogane said:
"Do things count as objects even if there's multiple versions of them? "
You could just make one page describing the different variants of that object, like the FlaK 88 and Enfield SA-80 page. But I guess it wouldn't hurt if you made a separate page for each version either.