Alright - Im going to buy a 360, what do i need to know?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OmegaPirate

So after a long time of only having a ps3 (which i still love to death by the way) I've come into a little bit of money in the form of my xmas bonus. 

Having always wanted some of the 360 exclusives - Mass effect, Fallout 3 (the non busted version with DLC), Fable 2, Gears of war, Left 4 dead, viva pinata etc. And the majority of my friends being 360 owners, i've decided i wan't to finally go ahead and pick up a 360 - however :-

• I know nothing about the console
  • I know nothing about what bundles/ hidden gem games there are
  • Im generally a noob

So the way it stands is im fairly solidly wedged in my ps3 ways at the mo, i love the console and will continue to pick up most multiplat games for it (unless they are busted  a la fallout 3  - or missing dlc) so you could say i will still 'main' the ps3 - however i will be picking up all the 360 exclusives im missing out on so basically heres what im asking :-

• Which console should i get? im looking to download a lot of games, so a large hard drive is kinda necessary - and i'd prefer one which wont die on me
  • Given im not hitting many multiplats up as of yet, anyone know of any decent bundles? 
  • Any games i should be aware of that will probably pass me by? - these include arcade games, im heavy hitting the PSN as it is
  • Do you think it's actually worth me getting one? (i'll answer yes anyway xD)

I do live in England so i guess that's a factor to consider as well - and finally :-

They took my name!!! The gamertag ; OmegaPirate - is not available, any suggestions? this is all i've ever used!
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The thing breaks. A lot. Also, it may shock you from time to time.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OmegaPirate
Arkthemaniac said:
"The thing breaks. A lot. Also, it may shock you from time to time."
xD - i'll keep that in mind, cheers bud :)
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By penguindust
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaPirate
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#6  Edited By citizenkane

I'm moving this to General Discussion.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OmegaPirate
CitizenKane said:
"I'm moving this to General Discussion."
My mistake sire, wasn't sure as to where it should go ( inb4innuendo)
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#8  Edited By citizenkane
OmegaPirate said:
"CitizenKane said:
"I'm moving this to General Discussion."
My mistake sire, wasn't sure as to where it should go ( inb4innuendo)
"
It's no problem at all.
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By danielkempster

Ryan posted a story the other day about a Game of the Year bundle which might be of interest to you. Check it out.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By JJOR64
dankempster said:
"Ryan posted a story the other day about a Game of the Year bundle which might be of interest to you. Check it out."
Yeah, if you can get this bundle then you are off to a good start.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By OmegaPirate
dankempster said:
"Ryan posted a story the other day about a Game of the Year bundle which might be of interest to you. Check it out."
Thats not bad at all, and will be coming out about the time i go to make a purchase (looking at next weekend  - 2nd may time) will have to see whether it makes it over here to england, will keep an eye for that!
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By NickM
OmegaPirate said:
"PenguinDust said:
"Look for a premium with the HDMI port on the back http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9757547-1.html"
Ahh so you can get a HDMI model without the elite, nice 
"

At this point every new 360 comes with an HDMI port.

I'd suggest you get the 60GB Premium model, it should be more than enough space.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Game of the Year bundle only applies to the Elite model, which is rather pricey (you can get Halo 3 and Fable 2 for very cheap, like £30 for both), and is only available in America.

I'd suggest you get this bundle from Gamestation, which comes with Gears of War 1 & 2 and Halo 3, which are great exclusive games. At £199 it's a good deal

http://gamestation.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardware/HardwareBundle/~r415148/Xbox-360-60GB-Premium-Pack-with-Gears-of-War,-Gears-of-War-2-and-Halo-3-/

Hope that helped. If you need any advice on which Arcade games to get, don't be afraid to ask me, because I buy a whole lot of them.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13  Edited By Vinchenzo
NickM said:
"Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Game of the Year bundle only applies to the Elite model, which is rather pricey (you can get Halo 3 and Fable 2 for very cheap, like £30 for both), and is only available in America."
In the case that it's available in the UK as well, the GotY bundle is a better deal. Maybe you can save some bucks, sure, but for only a few bucks more you get twice the HDD space.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OmegaPirate
NickM said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"PenguinDust said:
"Look for a premium with the HDMI port on the back http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9757547-1.html"
"
At this point every new 360 comes with an HDMI port. I'd suggest you get the 60GB Premium model, it should be more than enough space.Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Game of the Year bundle only applies to the Elite model, which is rather pricey (you can get Halo 3 and Fable 2 for very cheap, like £30 for both), and is only available in America.I'd suggest you get this bundle from Gamestation, which comes with Gears of War 1 & 2 and Halo 3, which are great exclusive games. At £199 it's a good dealhttp://gamestation.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardware/HardwareBundle/~r415148/Xbox-360-60GB-Premium-Pack-with-Gears-of-War,-Gears-of-War-2-and-Halo-3-/Hope that helped. If you need any advice on which Arcade games to get, don't be afraid to ask me, because I buy a whole lot of them."
Thats quite a sweet deal :) - i'll have to take up your arcade advice as well once i eventually get set up :)

Vinchenzo said:
"NickM said:
"Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Game of the Year bundle only applies to the Elite model, which is rather pricey (you can get Halo 3 and Fable 2 for very cheap, like £30 for both), and is only available in America."
In the case that it's available in the UK as well, the GotY bundle is a better deal. Maybe you can save some bucks, sure, but for only a few bucks more you get twice the HDD space."
Yeah thats what i was hoping  - i'll keep an eye for it, that and i would love a black 360 to sit beside my ps3 xD
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NickM
Vinchenzo said:
"NickM said:
In the case that it's available in the UK as well, the GotY bundle is a better deal. Maybe you can save some bucks, sure, but for only a few bucks more you get twice the HDD space."
The thing is, its not a few bucks, there's quite a big price difference between the Pro and Elite in the UK (£70=£100). That's about the price of a 120GB hard drive on its own, or two full-priced games.
NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NickM

NEWS UPDATE:

The Game of the Year Bundle is only for the US.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By myke_tuna

Since you're in the UK, NickM already hooked you up with the GameStation deal. That looks really good. idk how much 199 pounds are in dollars, but you get 3 games and a 60GB HDD. I have a 20GB and it usually only has 6-7 gigs free with 1 game installed *usually the one I play the most at the time*. With 60GB I'm guessing you'd have a good 12GB or so free (after downloading a bunch of Live Arcade games, and maybe a game install or two) probably more since you say you're going to main the PS3. So again, that GameStation deal looks to be the best bet. Only thing that might suck is if you end up disliking Gears of War/2 and/or Halo 3. lol. I don't think you will though. They are incredibly solid action games. Gears will really show you the prettiness of the 360 exclusive *not that the PS3 couldn't do it of course*. I have all 3 systems, but I was in the same boat when I was going to buy a PS3. I main 360 solely because I started out with that one so I had a good library by PS3 buying time.

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Eelcire

As with all electronics, make sure that not only is the 360 in a well-ventilated area, but also the power supply. Many people will do the first part, but their power supply ends up buried without proper airflow; which causes it to fail which in turn causes the 360 to fail.

If you plan on playing online look for deals on the 1-year Live gold membership. Might also look into getting some Live points if you're interested in any of the XBLA game or downloadable content (such as Fallout 3). Since you're just now coming into the 360, you should be able to find quite a healthy catalog of games to catch up on on the cheap; might look into those before hitting up more recent games.

Most importantly, just have some fun with it!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus

The Xbox 360 Elite is black.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#20  Edited By Vinchenzo
NickM said:
"Vinchenzo said:
"NickM said:
The thing is, its not a few bucks, there's quite a big price difference between the Pro and Elite in the UK (£70=£100). That's about the price of a 120GB hard drive on its own, or two full-priced games."
Well Halo 3 and Fable 2 make up for that I think, but since you said it's in US only my argument is now invalid! So yea, just go with what NickM said.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#21  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

OmegaPirate-

The number one thing about game maintenance is that you do not ever want to move the 360 with a game in the drive.  It will scratch up the discs pretty easily and make them nearly unplayable.  Beyond that, make sure you give the console plenty of room to breathe and I'd never recommend running any console over 4 hours.

As for your other questions, the Elite bundles are pretty good deals and should provide you with a ton of space.  Downloading full games onto your hard drive can suck up a lot of space very quickly, and it's nice to have the extra room.  I'd say any of the three major consoles are worth purchasing.  The exclusives on each have definitely warranted their purchases, as I own each one and enjoy them equally for different reasons.

Don't forget to buy a Gold membership as well as some MS points.  If demos are available for any game, check them out first, but I'm sure you know that.  Also, keep in mind that if you have a Netflix and Gold account, you can stream many older movies directly to your Xbox, which is a nice little feature.

As far as games go, it really depends on your preferences.  But here are some of my picks, broken down by Live recommendations and general exclusives:

EXCLUSIVES:
Halo 3 - At least give it a rental.  I know not everyone is as big of a fan as I am, but with the possible exception of Resistance 2, it's the most fun I've had in multiplayer FPS's.

Fable 2 - One of my favorite games to date.  It's an excellent action-RPG with a beautiful sense of style.  It's a great introductory game to the 360 as well.  I also recommend it to friends who are old-school and loved games like Quest for Glory 1-5, as it's essentially a spiritual successor to those games.

Forza 2 - The multiplayer community is still strong for this game, and you can find new designs and sweet cars coming up on the auction house all the time.

Dead or Alive 4 - If you can get it on the cheap, this is one hell of a fun brawler.  It should be very budget priced.

LIVE Games -

Puzzle Quest: Warlords - I'm not a fan of its sequel, but the original is cheap and takes a hell of a long time to complete.  It's a blast.

Portal: Still Alive - If you don't already own it on another system or don't have the Orange Box, pick this up.  It's a brilliant puzzler.

Peggle

Black/Pirates!/Longest Journey/Indigo Prophecy  - All are Xbox Originals available for download and well worth it if you haven't played them.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Wait and buy the new bundle that comes with Halo 3 and Fable II. It might be out already, I'm not entirely sure. Either way, it's the one you want. If you don't already have GTAIV on PS3, get it on 360, and slap yourself for stalling and not buying it on PS3 already unless you were being wise and decided to wait until you got a 360 because of the DLC and then don't slap yourself.

The Darkness is a really great game that is easily overlooked. Only $20 new also, so make sure you jump all over that one. I fully recommend Fallout 3. I say pass on Viva Pinata and get Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts instead. If you haven't played Call of Duty 4, it's not too late.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Brundage

You just made the best decision of your life.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OmegaPirate

Cheers for the advice guys !!! Especially concerning maintenance, i have no idea bout that stuff!

Netflix and the elite bundles recommended dont count here as im in england, so thats a little annoying but w/e :P

Halo ill definately give a shout, loved the 1st one but thats my only experiance  
- Fable is one of the reasons im interested in getting a 360 so thats a no brainer, 
- Hadnt considered DOA4 but will definately give it a shout
-Portal and peggel i own on pc, but may swing buy again for gamerscore if the mood takes me !
-Gta4 i already own and love on the ps3, depending on how into it my mates still are i may pick it up for the dlc.
-The Darkness is one of my fave games ever, my girlfriend got me it for my birthdya the year it came out and i still love playing it now, won't repurchase, but still a great game.
Nuts and bolts sounds pretty interesting, havent seen much of it but the guys seem to love it on the bombcast so i deffo wanna at least try it.
And who HASNT already played cod4 - i'll see if theres time between when i get through all of these games and the release of MW2 before revisiting my cod fix!

Cheers for suggestions so far guys, you are helping out loads :D

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NickM
OmegaPirate said:
"
-Portal and peggel i own on pc, but may swing buy again for gamerscore if the mood takes me !
"
You should definitely buy Peggle. However, I'd suggest you buy the entire Orange Box, since It is only £13 for all the five games on Amazon.co.uk and the Live Arcade version of Portal is £7.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OmegaPirate
NickM said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"
"
You should definitely buy Peggle. However, I'd suggest you buy the entire Orange Box, since It is only £13 for all the five games on Amazon.co.uk and the Live Arcade version of Portal is £7."
Thats not too bad a suggestion, man i own peggle on far too many platforms already, but each time you actually start ot play it - the crime is forgotten :D
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Tylea002

For the name, have you tried TheOmegaPirate? Or OmegaPirateUK?

Games wise, Mass Effect and Fallout with DLC are good decisions. On the RPG front again Fable and Lost Odyssey are pretty damn good. Other games you may wanna check out are Ninja Gaiden II, Forza, Halo and Crackdown.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OmegaPirate
Tylea002 said:
"

For the name, have you tried TheOmegaPirate? Or OmegaPirateUK?

Games wise, Mass Effect and Fallout with DLC are good decisions. On the RPG front again Fable and Lost Odyssey are pretty damn good. Other games you may wanna check out are Ninja Gaiden II, Forza, Halo and Crackdown.

"
Yup :) straight after i made the post i tried TheOmegaPirate and got it :D good suggestion 

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By crunchUK

Dont use XxX, MLG, iTz, alternating caps, "sniper", "pro", or any of those in your gamertag

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OmegaPirate
crunchUK said:
"Dont use XxX, MLG, iTz, alternating caps, "sniper", "pro", or any of those in your gamertag"
lol i know man -  played counterstrike and counterstrike source non-stop for about 6 years and i swear to god there every server was at least 3/4 populated with 'those' names, and 9/10 times they were compleet douches -or sucked
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pweidman

OK, not knowing exactly what's available in the UK, I'll still give you my best recomenndations as far as the hardware goes at least.
1.) Get the Jasper chip set first and foremost.  It's easily found in the arcade version in the US....don't know about the UK.
2.) Get a big harddrive; the 120gb HDD is worth every penny imo, because the system is so much quieter, runs cooler, no diskread errors, better FR, quicker load times etc., and also less worry of the RROD failures when you load yur games to the HDD.
3.) Buy the play and charge kit...invaluable for yur controller(s) w/recharge batt pak.
4.) XBL is a must....you'll love the Marketplace, and mp on Live is one of the highlights of being a 360 owner.
BTW, an Arcade w/ the Jasper set, and a 120HDD is about $350(less than $300 if you go w/the 60 gbHDD), and XBL runs around $50 a year in the US. 

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Tylea002
pweidman said:
"OK, not knowing exactly what's available in the UK, I'll still give you my best recomenndations as far as the hardware goes at least.1.) Get the Jasper chip set first and foremost.  It's easily found in the arcade version in the US....don't know about the UK.2.) Get a big harddrive; the 120gb HDD is worth every penny imo, because the system is so much quieter, runs cooler, no diskread errors, better FR, quicker load times etc., and also less worry of the RROD failures when you load yur games to the HDD.3.) Buy the play and charge kit...invaluable for yur controller(s) w/recharge batt pak.4.) XBL is a must....you'll love the Marketplace, and mp on Live is one of the highlights of being a 360 owner.BTW, an Arcade w/ the Jasper set, and a 120HDD is about $350(less than $300 if you go w/the 60 gbHDD), and XBL runs around $50 a year in the US.  "
Tiding up for the UK man.
1) Jasper is avalible in pretty much all builds of all consoles now. Unless you are really unlikely, you'll get one.
2) For a big hard drive, it's cheaper to get an Elite from GAME. £209, rather than the extortionate price for the 120GB hard drive in the UK.. I think the hard drive is £80 on amazon, I've seen it listed for £120 in some places
3) I don't use a play and charge kit, I use AA Batteries, but you'd probably do yourself good to get one, they are cheaper in the long run.
4) XBL is £40 a year, as I'm sure you know, points are £18ish for £2100.

It's all a bit more expensive over here, as you'll notice. But it's not too bad. Just thought I'd let you knowthe UK specifics.
thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thiago
Brundage said:
"You just made the best decision of your life."

Haha. Sarcasm.
REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By REDRUN
OmegaPirate said:
"PenguinDust said:
"
You can get an HDMI cable for roughly $3-$5 each without having to pay the extra $100 for a mediocre upgrade. I suggest you go arcade and buy the 120 GB HDD and buy bulk HDMI for al your needs. I bought a bulk amount of 10 for little over $20.00. You buy them from a supplier for the cable and telecommunication services. Buying a $30 HDMI cable in a package is just a scam. In the end, you can resale the left over or give them to friends and family looking to buy that expensive HDMI cable.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince
Arkthemaniac said:
Really?!? Why haven't I heard of this?
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By OmegaPirate

Cheers guys :) honestly i'd be lost if i just walked into the store not knowing what i was doing xD

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GreggD

I'd just like to add that you should try to avoid installing Mass Effect to the hdd.It tends to get really choppy when installed.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By OmegaPirate

On that note then - sorry to bother you guys

What games are best installed , and which ones should be left disc based?
Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Eelcire

Here's a couple of sites that have made charts regarding HDD game installation sizes and loading times (on some games):

NeoGAF
Binge Gamer

Fable II intstallation is a must! Past that what games have you picked up?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OmegaPirate
Eelcire said:
"Here's a couple of sites that have made charts regarding HDD game installation sizes and loading times (on some games):

NeoGAF
Binge GamerFable II intstallation is a must! Past that what games have you picked up?"
Cheers for the links :)

I havent actually picked any up yet - not picking up the 360 until saturday ( ad time is dragging believe me) but aiming for

1. Fable 1+2
  2. Gears 2 (done 1 with a mate so :)
  3. Mass effect
  4. Fallout 3
  5. Left 4 dead
  6. Saints 2
  7. crackdown
  8. Dead rising
  9. Halo 3
And any arcade ones that take my fancy :)
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By get2sammyb

Does this mean I finally get a window to catch up with your inane trophy count?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By OmegaPirate

haha :) yeah i guess it does :) even more so next months payday when i finally pick up a wii -ill probably be posting a similar thread to this one up there - i honestly have never had any desire to own a wii at all - but the silent  hill and dead space games on it are seriously tickling me -in a good way.

But back on topic - yes -yes you will get a chance, im actually kinda hoping the fact i'll be maintaining a gamerscore AND a psn level might calm down my whoring ways?
Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Warfare

Keep customer service on speed dial.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Virago
LiquidPrince said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
Really?!? Why haven't I heard of this?"
Wait, wait -- microsoft is unreliable?

Omega, you should change your name to something super awesome like PinkOmegaPirate or PrincessOmegaPirate or RainbowUnicornBoy32
alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By alexl86

I wouldn't say it breaks a lot, I've had mine over a year now and it's just fine... the first one only lasted a week though.

I guess reliability is the 360's bigger shortcoming, but it's gotten much better. The d-pad sucks, but you'll hardly ever use it. Uhm, like someone said earlier, you shouldn't move it while the system is on, with a game inside the tray. I lost Oblivion that way. You have to pay to play online, but I'm guess you already knew that. It's about £49 a year, I'd guess. I don't know if it's just my region, but goldmembers get it cheaper if they buy through xbox live... doesn't seem very logical, but okay I guess.

As for games that haven't been mentioned yet. PGR is appearently very popular, if you're into racing. If you don't mind going back a few years you can get Saints Row 1, Amped 3 and Dead Rising for the price of one new game. My personal favorite is Mass Effect, of the 360 exclusives, should be one of the first games you pick up.

As for arcade, just download the trial version first and play through it before you decide. Castle Crashers and Braid are the only arcade games that come to mind.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By OmegaPirate