Apparently the GOTY discussions were a bloodbath.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By joshthebear

If there's anything as amazing as Ryan's late heel turn, then it should be amazing.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Crysack

XCOM would have to be the obvious choice for GotY. Was there a single person on the GB crew who didn't like it?

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#103  Edited By mechakirby

I've never listened to the GOTY podcasts. I like to have a whole week to be able to listen to the podcast because I'm a busy guy. GOTY comes and they release 5 full-length ones and I just can't keep up when they come.

I keep hearing how savage last years got so I'm downloading the final one from last year right. 4 hours? God. Any other ones I should listen to?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By Animasta

@MechaKirby said:

I've never listened to the GOTY podcasts. I like to have a whole to be able to listen to the podcast because I'm a busy guy. GOTY comes and they release 5 full-length ones and I just can't keep up when they come.

I keep hearing how savage last years got so I'm downloading the final one from last year right. 4 hours? God. Any other ones I should listen to?

the first couple are the jokier/not as serious catagories and are less contentious, the final day 2010 ones were pretty hardcore too.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By freakin9

@Animasta said:

@believer258 said:

I actually didn't finish listening to last year's GOTY podcasts until mid-November. I remember Brad and Jeff spending about two hours debating over whether or not Skyrim or Saints Row the Third should be on top.

Skyrim eventually won because Ryan, who was waiting the whole conversation out, finally cast his vote for Skyrim. And rightly so. I would have been pissed if I had listened to that whole thing just for something as average as SR3 to win.

So, yeah, cheers to Team Brad.

that shit was the fucking worst.

and not because saints row was better than skyrim or vice versa (I think the first one but whatever)

he said Skyrim without playing it, his argument being "well saints row had problems like there wasn't enough of it"

it was annoying :(

Hence, fast forward to today, why there's a Fuck Ryan Davis t-shirt.

You know Jeff was still thinking about that when he decided to make that shirt.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

My favorite one was the year when it was Mass Effect 2 DLC vs Bishock 2 DLC, shit was getting heated.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#107  Edited By Fearbeard

If Jeff tries to block Walking Dead from winning because of his ignorance towards the game then yeah, I can see how things might get really heated.

If Brad, Ryan and Vinny want to put Walking Dead at the top then he should just concede it.

Honestly the only games I can think of that Jeff might want at the top of his list are Syndicate, Forza Horizon and XCOM (maybe Far Cry 3 but he seemed to cool a little on it) with the only game on that list that he might have some support for being XCOM.

Anyways, can't wait to listen to the podcasts.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Alex: So XCOM won by default as expected since it's actually a retail release and there's no debate as to whether it actually is a game or not and I guess the most interesting part is where things like FTL and Tokyo Jungle placed; at least in terms of the GOTY itself.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By Subjugation

I love me some Bombcast. I'm about to explode in anticipation of multiple episodes. I will binge on the goodness and it will be glorious.

Also, stop bagging on Brad for arguing in the interest of his picks. In case you don't pay too much attention to the rest of the podcasts, he normally just rolls over and concedes at the first sign of resistance. It kind of disappoints me.

pleasedaddyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By pleasedaddyno

@McGhee said:

@rjayb89 said:

I'm certain Brad got his way in these discussions.

Probably. His whole filibustering, whining, dumb persistence seems to just wear everyone out; so they just give it to him to shut him up.

when mummy (brad) and daddy (jeff) fight, i have to block my ears. especially when mummy starts throwing the kitchen knives.

pleasedaddyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By pleasedaddyno

@McGhee said:

@Demoskinos said:

@Roboculus92 said:

@Animasta said:

@McGhee said:

@rjayb89 said:

Probably. His whole filibustering, whining, dumb persistence seems to just wear everyone out; so they just give it to him to shut him up.

he lost on the red dead thing

And Mgs4.

Really one of his only big wins was for Bioshock 2's Minverva's Den for the DLC category.

Amazing how being that annoying can stick in one's mind. His constant hatred and disgust at every mention of Deadly Premonition was also quite tiring.

this x 1,000,000

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#112  Edited By Hizang

It's going to come down to XCOM, The Walking Dead and Syndicate/Forza.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#113  Edited By Mystyr_E

man if you thought Patrick talked lots and interrupted hardcore before, imagine this year's podcasts

there will be blood

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#114  Edited By daiphyer

@cthomer5000 said:

@BlatantNinja23 said:

but that's besides the point, it's all personal opinion. The issue is that brad did a terrible job trying to fight for that game. Patrick won that fight for him.

I thought Jeff also did a very poor job arguing against it. His "every cave has an Ice Wizard" thing was totally wrong. And he practically accused Brad of lying about that. Jeff might have had some weird playthrough, but what he was describing was absolutely not my experience when playing that game. That argument made everyone look bad in my opinon. I think that might be the nature of the GOTY discussion though. At some point it becomes about tearing down another game instead of pumping one up.

Jeff was a 100% right, and Brad didn't know about it. That's the experience I had with that game. After the game recognized how I was playing that game, it started populating every cave with the same enemies.

I was okay with Skyrim winning, but like someone said earlier, it was Ryan's vote that pissed me off. He hadn't played the game, and then all out of the blue, he started coming up with reasons to not vote for Saints Row 3. Like, there isn't enough of it. (!!!!)

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By icicle7x3

Persona 4: Golden coming in for the steal!

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#116  Edited By dr_mantas

Well, it's already been decided, so what I'm making isn't really a prediction, as much as a guess.

It's either The Walking Dead or XCOM. I think those are games they could agree on. Possibly Far Cry 3.

Could be Journey, but I don't think Vinny or Jeff would have gone for that.

Vinny had problems with Dishonored, and pretty much all of them agree it had flaws.

Mark of the Ninja would be a good choice, but not enough of them played it, I believe.

AC III, ME3 (sadly), Halo 4 are right out.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By kishinfoulux

Man it's chaos with five of them, but now throw in Alex in there to make six? Oh god I can't wait for this.

As long as that crap Journey doesn't win, I'm all good.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#118  Edited By Vexxan

Last year it was kind of expected to come down to Saints Row The Third vs. Skyrim but this year I'm not sure what to believe.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By kishinfoulux

Also as for last years argument between Skyrim and Saint's Row...honestly neither should have one. Dark Souls, Ghost Trick, The Witcher 2, and Deus Ex were all better.

Skyrim is good, but over hyped. Saint's Row is not the blast to play everyone tells you it is. It's just a shame the guys didn't really give those other games a fair shake.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#120  Edited By evanbower

@believer258 said:

@Animasta said:

@believer258 said:

I actually didn't finish listening to last year's GOTY podcasts until mid-November. I remember Brad and Jeff spending about two hours debating over whether or not Skyrim or Saints Row the Third should be on top.

Skyrim eventually won because Ryan, who was waiting the whole conversation out, finally cast his vote for Skyrim. And rightly so. I would have been pissed if I had listened to that whole thing just for something as average as SR3 to win.

that shit was the fucking worst.

and not because saints row was better than skyrim or vice versa (I think the first one but whatever)

he said Skyrim without playing it, his argument being "well saints row had problems like there wasn't enough of it"

it was annoying :(

@cthomer5000: I was under the impression that they had all played a good bit of Skyrim. And, cthomer5000, Skyrim is a game that you don't really need to "finish" to get a good opinion of.

@Demoskinos: @MariachiMacabre:

I kind of knew this was coming. To put it bluntly, I feel that Skyrim is much better at drawing you into a well-realized world. I feel like every nook and cranny in that game is more interesting and thoughtful than even the best things in SR3. I'd say that all of the interlocking systems, most importantly the better persistence in the world and the better AI patterns and that sort of thing, across this massive world are really impressive when you think about them. I would say that writing and story in Skyrim is much improved over that of Oblivion, and while the guilds (Companions, Dark Brotherhood, etc.) are not as interesting as they were in Oblivion, it's made up for by the better main story quest and just a wide variety of mostly interesting quests here and there, everything from a ghost-girl whose father was being led by vampires to things as silly as Sheogorath's Daedric quest. This is all included in a game whose biggest flaws are the bugs inherent in its own ambition.

Saints Row the Third, meanwhile, has less bugs (nothing flys like it shouldn't), but it has a very disconnected story that's pretty hard to care about. It has a mostly flat world that's no more sophisticated than that of its predecessors, or even games that came out in the PS2 era. It has no sense of proper pacing, meaning that the game feels like it peaks in the first thirty minutes and then never, ever reaches those same highs. Its humor is often forced, juvenile, and stupid in a way that I can't get behind (zombies? Are you fucking kidding me?) It is, indeed, a fun game at first, and that carries it for a little while, but by the fifteen hour mark, where I first beat the game, I just plain didn't want to play it anymore. I beat it because I didn't want leave a game that close to its finale, but I can tell you that the last few hours of that game were neither fun nor well-spent. The game is not bad, not at all, and I have it on Steam from the THQ Humble Bundle. And it's installed. And I've played it again some more, and its first few hours are fairly decent. It just never, ever builds to much of anything that I can honestly recommend past the part where you jump out of a plane with Kanye West's "Power" playing.

Oh good! A year later we get to talk about this again.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By SlashDance

I love game of the year conversations on forums because I get to hear how wrong and stupid I am for liking a game better than another. Bonus if the two games in question have nothing in common.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#122  Edited By recroulette

XCOM will probably win, but don't be surprised if TWD slips to number 3. Strong arguments for Far Cry 3 or Journey could get between those. 

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#123  Edited By evanbower
@McGhee

@rjayb89 said:

Yeah! Like when they awarded Red Dead Redemption GOTY in 2010 just because it was Brad's favorite.
Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#124  Edited By Mezmero

So Alex is actually in the studio for the deliberations this year? Now I'm super stoked. The only thing that bugs me about Brad is not his fillbusters but rather his utter indecisiveness for all but the biggest award categories. Hopefully he'll ride the middle a little less this year.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By altairre

I hope Patrick is on top of his game again because I thought he was very reasonable last year and made some of the strongest points (getting Rayman in the top 10 for example and deservedly so). Also Jeff will probably try to prevent Walking Dead to get too high on the list and I'm curious if Brad will make a case for Mass Effect 3 (not GotY of course but maybe top 10 or even top 5).

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Winternet

I know I'm giving these way too much importance, but goddam no. I'm giving it the proper importance. As an user I feel like I have some kind of involvement in it and I'd love for the Giant Bomb Top 10 List to be something that I can proudly agree with.

With that in mind, please don't let the GOTY be THAT game. (I'm not even saying what "that" refers to)

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bvilleneuve said:

@Electric_Zen said:

I did think that Skyrim was a better game than SR3, but I got a little pissed off at Ryan last year.

Ryan had SR3 on top of his personal list, he was pushing it for GOTY, and when he counted votes at the end he suddenly realized, "Oh, shit, this thing is actually going to WIN! Looks like I took the joke too far!" He should have had the balls to stick with it.

Is the implication that enjoying Saints Row the Third was some kind of extended exercise in irony? Because I couldn't disagree more. That game is great--way better than Skyrim. Skyrim is a husk. Saints Row the Third has some weak moments, but at least it has a soul.

Also it makes me real happy to know that Hotline Miami is getting its due in this discussion. I wouldn't expect it to win the overall prize (though it is my personal favorite game to be released this year), but it does warm my heart to know it gets recognized.

Years from now I don't think very many will remember Saint's Row: The Third, there's nothing in that game that hasn't been done before...and I really enjoyed SRIII. Skyrim is far and away the greater game...which is why it won basically EVERY game of the year last year and will be remembered as fondly as Fallout 3 was before it as an important bookmark in gaming.

It got chosen because Ryan realized the joke had gone too far, Saint's Row was a great game but Skyrim was a game-changer and he knew it wouldn't be right to vote for Saint's Row simply because it scratched some weird niche itch....deep down he knew Skyrim was far and away the more SIGNIFICANT game so that's why he cast the final vote for Skyrim.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By neurotic

If the argument is about The Walking Dead and it's between Patrick/Alex on one side and Jeff on the other, I can see it getting spicy.

For my part, I hope Jeff wins that argument. I think he needs revenge for last year.

Surely, the GOTY is XCOM since it's the one game they all played to completion and loved. It seems like a no-brainer to me but what do I know?

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Shortbreadtom

@Kerned: He actually talked about on his tumblr how he hates that argument, and thinks that TWD is just as much of a game as anything else. I don't see that happening.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By jacdg

@Winternet said:

I know I'm giving these way too much importance, but goddam no. I'm giving it the proper importance. As an user I feel like I have some kind of involvement in it and I'd love for the Giant Bomb Top 10 List to be something that I can proudly agree with.

With that in mind, please don't let the GOTY be THAT game. (I'm not even saying what "that" refers to)

It's going to be Asura's Wrath, everyone knows that, just embrace it.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ExplodeMode

@kishinfoulux said:

Also as for last years argument between Skyrim and Saint's Row...honestly neither should have one. Dark Souls, Ghost Trick, The Witcher 2, and Deus Ex were all better.

I think it was Dark Souls easily, but it's not a podcast for my favorite game of the year, it's theirs. So they can't really be wrong about it.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Winternet

@JacDG: Dude, if that was it, I'd be the first to pump my fists in the air and scream "Fuck yeahh!"

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By The_Patriarch

Ryans "fuck it, I want to go home so I'll suddenly support a game I havent played over a game I love" shit last year really soured me on the whole GOTY podcast. I'm not a fan of Skyrim, but that could have been a battle between ANY two games, and it would still make the whole discussion instantly irrelevant and a complete waste of time for everyone involved.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Master_Funk

XCOM would be the safest choice for the whole team, since I predict it will be number 1 on Ryans and Jeffs List. Patrick seemed to love it too, so I'd say XCOM

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#135  Edited By delta_ass

Yeah, XCOM will take it. Far Cry 3 would've given it a real run for its money, but it sounds like the story just failed them at the end.

Pan1c42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Pan1c42

Is it weird I'm excited to listen to a group of people talk for hours on end about non-specific topics?

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By jacdg

@Winternet said:

@JacDG: Dude, if that was it, I'd be the first to pump my fists in the air and scream "Fuck yeahh!"

I reeeeeaaaaally need to play it.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By TorMasturba

@Demoskinos said:

@believer258 said:

You wanna fist fight? Cause I'll fist fight for SR3 being a better game than Skyrim sir. I demand a gentlemens duel.

It'd be two against one for Skyrim BITCH! OH YOU GOIN' DOWN SON! DOWN TOWN TO CHINA TOWN MOTHERFUCKER! (Cliche "hard man" jokes aside, Skyrim deserves it for me.)

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By SmilingPig

I only really liked x-com this year and frankly it lacked dept.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Drebin_893

I hope TWD gets eliminated early just so we don't have to hear Patrick throughout the whole fucking thing.

Journey!

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By rachelepithet

Individual staff favorites I expect to miss the cut: Dragon's Dogma, Asura's Wrath, FTL, Sleeping Dogs, Syndicate, WWE, Hotline Miami, 999, ZombiU, Dust: AET, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Sound Shapes, Spelunky, Tokyo Jungle.

Major 4/5 star releases that won't make cut: Halo 4, Borderlands 2, Hot Pursuit, Darksiders 2, Mass Effect 3, Black Ops 2, Max Payne 3, SSX, Reckoning, The Darkness 2, Assassin's Creed 3.

Top ten: Xcom, Walking Dead, Journey, Diablo, Trials, Fez, Mark of the Ninja, Dishonored, Farcry 3, Forza Horizon.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By daiphyer

@TorMasturba said:

@Demoskinos said:

@believer258 said:

You wanna fist fight? Cause I'll fist fight for SR3 being a better game than Skyrim sir. I demand a gentlemens duel.

It'd be two against one for Skyrim BITCH! OH YOU GOIN' DOWN SON! DOWN TOWN TO CHINA TOWN MOTHERFUCKER! (Cliche "hard man" jokes aside, Skyrim deserves it for me.)

It's 2v2 now. Let's settle this like four real, masculine men. Wii Boxing.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By jimmyfenix

@Daiphyer: THE ELDER SCROLLS VI STRAP IT ON BABY!

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By algertman

Jeff could do Rhythm Heaven but his hate for Nintendo may out weigh his love for Rhythm. Jeff will also probably have Forza on his list to justify his bullshit 5/5 review. Somebody is going to pick Mass Effect 3 probably. Halo 4 will make it on.

Patrick will probably have the best list this year.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#145  Edited By Sooty

@believer258 said:

A game that is broken shouldn't be GOTY.

kadayi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#146  Edited By kadayi

@Neurotic said:

If the argument is about The Walking Dead and it's between Patrick/Alex on one side and Jeff on the other, I can see it getting spicy.

For my part, I hope Jeff wins that argument. I think he needs revenge for last year.

I'd rather the GoTY was decided upon by being the better agreed upon game than because it's a bone of contention in some grudge match.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Optix12

Jumping in at the deep-end of this conversation I have some silly hope that Sleepy Dawgz may actually make it into top 5, maybe even top 3?

Also its my personal opinion but I thought Saints Row 3 was my GOTY, easily over Skyrim which I played for 20 hours but just couldn't hook me as much as SR3 (completed on 360 and then completed on pc with all side stuff . I prefer SR3 more of a game that I bought its DLC pack (on a steam sale) and don't ever intend to get a skyrim pack.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By impartialgecko

At least Alex was in there, I generally agree with his verdicts. I can't help feeling the Brad/Patrick tag-team will come out on top again given their success last year.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By phrosnite

МЕ3 GotY! Woo hoo

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By impartialgecko

@Hizang said:

It's going to come down to XCOM, The Walking Dead and Syndicate/Forza.

When push comes to shove Syndicate doesn't stand a chance, but I can see Jeff lashing out at The Walking Dead if someone highlights the fact that Syndicate's single-player was so-so.