#1  Edited By AnthraX
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

So $300+$129=More than a price of a PlayStation 3 a while back (no tax)?!

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Cube

I remember when I had to try to sell those things.

So. Weak.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By JJOR64

This makes my head......
 This makes my head......
AnthraX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By AnthraX

Sorry guys! I tried to delete and put it in off topic but it turned into epic fail!

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ArchScabby

wow, setup for only half the price of the console!  That's a great deal because you know how hard it is to plug something into a wall outlet, and then somehow plug an hdmi cable into your t.v.  Everyone isn't a genius tech savy person, so this is a great deal!  (end sarcasm)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

While you guys may sit there talking all high and mighty, I see at least 30 people a day that don't even know how to start a campaign on Halo 3.  I mean, if you feel insulted by it, then don't buy it.  Do it yourself.  However, there are tons of parents that don't know how to do the simplest of things on a game, and I've seen plenty of kids that are the same way. 

So I say...if the idiots are willing to pay for it, then so be it!  It's not illegal at all, and it's sensationalist journalism.  I've seriously come to the point that I don't even want to read Kotaku anymore, because every news story lately seems to be something to pull clicks and not actual news.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By Cube
@dcpc10 said:
" @jakob187 said:
" While you guys may sit there talking all high and mighty, I see at least 30 people a day that don't even know how to start a campaign on Halo 3.  I mean, if you feel insulted by it, then don't buy it.  Do it yourself.  However, there are tons of parents that don't know how to do the simplest of things on a game, and I've seen plenty of kids that are the same way.  So I say...if the idiots are willing to pay for it, then so be it!  It's not illegal at all, and it's sensationalist journalism.  I've seriously come to the point that I don't even want to read Kotaku anymore, because every news story lately seems to be something to pull clicks and not actual news. "
Although you're right, it's pretty absurd of them to charge so much. "
It's a free market and if it sells, it sells.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

It's indeed odd but that's because of our expectations to people using technology which is likely a high bar. Maybe it's the suspension of disbelief, like the lightbulb part in one of the Family Guy episodes.

doe3879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By doe3879

so does this include a HDMI cable?

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Well, when you think about the fact that it's for a guy to make a house call, it's fairly reasonable. I mean, that employee could be walking into a crazy home theater setup or need to explain that it won't work on your TV from 1983. That would be a crappy job so they probably get paid fairly well, and BB needs to make a cut so I can totally see $130 as a reasonable price.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By masternater27

As somebody who sells these plans, even though it's ridiculously easy for us, there are a surprising number of people that really want/need this service.  I've had people come to BB because we will set up their console for them and Gamestop wouldn't.  A gentleman came in just yesterday and bought this, because he was trying to hook his HDMI cable and composite cable at the same time and the composite cable couldn't reach his tv, so he hadn't played the PS3 since he bought it months ago.  He was also completely forgoing using his receiver, in turn not taking advantage of his 7.1 surround sound system.

That all being said, I never offer it unless it's brought up by a customer, and I'm usually dying to tell them that I'll come out and do it for 1/3 of the price.  Or like, a home cooked dinner.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187
@Cube said:
" @dcpc10 said:
" @jakob187 said:
" While you guys may sit there talking all high and mighty, I see at least 30 people a day that don't even know how to start a campaign on Halo 3.  I mean, if you feel insulted by it, then don't buy it.  Do it yourself.  However, there are tons of parents that don't know how to do the simplest of things on a game, and I've seen plenty of kids that are the same way.  So I say...if the idiots are willing to pay for it, then so be it!  It's not illegal at all, and it's sensationalist journalism.  I've seriously come to the point that I don't even want to read Kotaku anymore, because every news story lately seems to be something to pull clicks and not actual news. "
Although you're right, it's pretty absurd of them to charge so much. "
It's a free market and if it sells, it sells. "
It's absurd for a major retail chain to offer a service at a high price?  Say it ain't so... 

Again, yes, they are preying on idiots...but maybe those idiots should learn a thing or two about the thing they are purchasing rather than relying on everyone else in the world to explain the shit to them on a regular basis. 

Welcome to the price of convenience.
AnthraX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AnthraX
@jakob187: Exactly! If you intend on buying something learn how to use it. You can easily use the internet or ask some one how to do this without having your wallet wiped clean.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By RHCPfan24

The sad thing is, people will pay. And $129.99 is ridiculous. But there are people who have no idea how to do anything with computers or video game consoles, and they think the only way to learn is to pay. Well a little reading online (as well as the instruction book that comes with the console) will solve most problems.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Pie
@RHCPfan24 said:
"OH MAN I TOTALLY PAYED THIS BECAUSE IM AN IDIOT AND PIE IS SOME KIND OF GOD LIKE CREATURE FROM BEYOND THE VEIL!!!!!!!!!!"
Idiot but the good kind
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I feel sorry for a grandma that probably payed that for her little nephew.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karmum

I wish more people really knew how to setup a console. Hell, I'd set it up for folks for a lot less, if not free. It's so quick and easy to setup charging that much extra (after paying for a console, and maybe games, peripherals, etc.) is maddening.

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Kr3lian

Man, I have to agree.  The PS3 was fucking hard to set up.  I mean first, there were some cables to plug in.  Then, I had to press a button.  Then, I had to "type" text into a box using the confusing plastic thing that had two sticks on it.  Now how in the hell is your average consumer supposed to use one of these there stick devices?

Ugh.

And to the, "well it's a free market! Whargarble!" people:  it is not a free market.  It is illegal to sell magic dick-growing pills ( that contain lead, no less).  It is illegal to charge people huge sums of money for "psychic" readings, even if you tell them what's in store in the fine print.  There are great many "business practices" that are illegal.  I don't think it should be illegal to charge a shit-ton of money to plug in a video game console, but if you think there is anything okay with it, you have no moral backbone.

I'll be more clear.  It is morally wrong to charge $100+ to plug in a PS3, and if you don't think so, you are an probably an asshole.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20  Edited By RHCPfan24
@Pie said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
"OH MAN I TOTALLY PAYED THIS BECAUSE IM AN IDIOT AND PIE IS SOME KIND OF GOD LIKE CREATURE FROM BEYOND THE VEIL!!!!!!!!!!"
Idiot but the good kind "
Ok, Pie. Enough.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pie
@RHCPfan24 said:
" @Pie said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
Ok, Pie. Enough. "
What ya gonna do?
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By mikemcn

I do not own a PS3, but im pretty sure you plug the HDMI cable, into the HDMI port on your TV, and the ethernet cable into the back of the console itself. I assume the powercord goes in the wall somewhere. 

Wow, i should go work at Best Buy.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Pie said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
" @Pie said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
Ok, Pie. Enough. "
What ya gonna do? "
no idea what you're on about but CHILL ! you're brothers and.. 

i am your father.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pie
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @Pie said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
" @Pie said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
Ok, Pie. Enough. "
What ya gonna do? "
no idea what you're on about but CHILL ! you're brothers and..  i am your father. "
Stay out of it old man
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DanielJW
@Mikemcn said:
" I do not own a PS3, but im pretty sure you plug the HDMI cable, into the HDMI port on your TV, and the ethernet cable into the back of the console itself. I assume the powercord goes in the wall somewhere.  Wow, i should go work at Best Buy. "
I don't think I have walls...is that something that comes with the PS3 or do I need to buy one separately?
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By JJWeatherman

This is ridiculous.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

There's a sucker born every minute.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JoelTGM

that's low.  plop the console down, plug it in, make an account and press the update button... $129.99...

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fallen189

Don't buy it then.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Valames
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" Well, when you think about the fact that it's for a guy to make a house call, it's fairly reasonable. I mean, that employee could be walking into a crazy home theater setup or need to explain that it won't work on your TV from 1983. That would be a crappy job so they probably get paid fairly well, and BB needs to make a cut so I can totally see $130 as a reasonable price. "
The problem with this is it seems that they are trying to pass it off as some sort of "deal," which it is not.
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By calidan777

lol, I install Home theaters/tv's/home audio (anything audio/video that goes in your house) for a local audio/video store and we do that shit for free, at least the setting up the game consoles part.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Babble

To be honest if someone actually buys this I don't really feel sorry, it's still partly the consumers job to research whether or not this service is worth it (which it obviously isn't). So if they do buy it, it's their money.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#33  Edited By yetiantics

This may sound dumb to us gamers, but there are people out there... mainly parents with children, who don't even know what a "firmware" is. 
nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nexas

This is hardly new. Also according to Best Buy you can play COD4 with a guitar 

No Caption Provided
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shadow

Stuff like this normally pisses me off, but you'd have to be so fucking stupid to fall for it that it's hilarious.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Damien
@Nexas said:
" This is hardly new. Also according to Best Buy you can play COD4 with a guitar 

No Caption Provided
"
That looks like some cool customer took the sticker from Guitar Hero and put it on the outer plastic case.  I'm sure Best Buy didn't do it.
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By calidan777
@PantyshotMQN said:
" This may sound dumb to us gamers, but there are people out there... mainly parents with children, who don't even know what a "firmware" is.  "
This is true as it is something that I encounter on a daily basis.That said, I (or the company I work for)  would never charge someone $130 to hook up a game console, of course we're really big on taking care of our customers well after their purchase so, there you go.
Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Qorious

I really can't stand Best Buy anymore! Only idiots would fall for that!

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39  Edited By yetiantics
@calidan777 said:
" @PantyshotMQN said:
" This may sound dumb to us gamers, but there are people out there... mainly parents with children, who don't even know what a "firmware" is.  "
This is true as it is something that I encounter on a daily basis.That said, I (or the company I work for)  would never charge someone $130 to hook up a game console, of course we're really big on taking care of our customers well after their purchase so, there you go. "

oh, of course.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeffsekai
@jakob187 said:

Agreed, I work at Future Shop and I swear if we didn't offer shit like this some poeple would not be able to plug there computer in and turn it on. Dumb people need this shit or else they can use any of the crap they can by. Also at my store stuff like this costs 99$ so a lil cheaper.

Heres an example from today, some lady broguht her comp in saying the internet didnt work, long story short she was plugging a phone cable into the LAN port.
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pirate_republic

Guys, for us this is ridiculously simple, but this is for the parents who haven't held a controller before, who have small kids who can't set it up. I doubt some parents can even use the controller let alone navigate the menus and update and this and that. It's waaaaay overpriced, but guys, this isn't all bad.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RichardLOlson

I've already noticed that best buy is trying to be one of the stores not to be outdone by wal-mart.  Although I don't blame them...so fight on best buy, fight on.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By tebbit

Pay me $99 to LOCATE, AND PROFESSIONALLY ADJUST YOUR DOOR-HANDLE TO THE PERFECT ANGLE TO OBTAIN MAXIMUM FUNCTIONALITY OF YOUR HOUSE. 

However I also agree with the sentiments that many folks just don't know these things. What I disagree with is charging them $130 instead of telling your employees to inform customers of the manual that comes packed in with every PS3 console, FOR FREE!

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#44  Edited By JackiJinx

That's what the papers inside of the box are for, along with customer support. I genuinely hope that people aren't stupid enough to fall for this.

Chipset_Seven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chipset_Seven

There's a certain demographic (Technophobes that can't even set the clock on a vcr/dvd player) that this laughable fee caters to.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By tebbit
@JackiJinx said:
" That's what the papers inside of the box are for, along with customer support. I genuinely hope that people aren't stupid enough to fall for this. "
Hey, you stole my ingenious and non-obvious solution!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jakob187

Look, seriously, you people can complain all you want about it, but YOU AREN'T THE AUDIENCE THEY ARE TARGETING!!!  Why are you worried about the pricing or anything about this if you aren't the ones that will have problems? 

@JackiJinx said:

" That's what the papers inside of the box are for, along with customer support. I genuinely hope that people aren't stupid enough to fall for this. "
Just because there are manuals doesn't mean that people are capable of understanding that.  Like I said, I see people ON A REGULAR BASIS...DAILY...that can't even figure out how to start a game on Halo 3 campaign...when they are on a menu that specifically has an option that says "Start Game".  I've seen kids and adults alike who don't know how to get on Xbox Live...when they are looking at a menu that says "Xbox Live" on it. 

Here's the funny thing:  it's less about idiocy and more about laziness.  There are people that just don't want to put forth the effort to look at the screen - they want someone else to do it.  If someone is genuinely lazy and getting a service like this, I feel no form of pity or sadness whatsoever for them.  $129 is a PERFECTLY fair price for that, as it's the price of convenience.  As for flat-out idiots...well, it happens.  Welcome to free trade market.  If it's a parent or someone who is ignorant - someone that wants to get into video games and this is their first console but they just don't know anything about it - then they'll want to read the instruction manuals and everything.  However, they'll also want to hear someone tell them all this, show them the stuff, watch it being done.  $129 may seem steep to you, but given that I've seen places that charge upwards of $70 just to install a sound card into a computer, this is NOTHING in comparison.  While you say that half the price of the console itself is steep, I say that it's a fair price for the lack of hassle that will come out of it all.  However, I am curious as to whether the representatives that do the installs give additional information so the people getting the service won't need to call again for firmware updates and such.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#48  Edited By JackiJinx
@jakob187:  The last few pieces of hardware I've bought came with illustrated pictures of how to insert tab A into slot B. If people need $130 to be shown what a picture shows, then yep, the price is right. Otherwise, they're money wasting morons.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#49  Edited By citizenkane

It's a shame to us who actually know how this technology works, but you'd be surprised to see just how little the average person knows how to handle this kind of stuff.  It's still a shame that they charge that much and take advantage of other people ignorance of new technology, but that's the free market for you.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ryanwho

If I worked at Best Buy I would offer to do it for half that price after my shift is over and pocket everything. That's a hell of a deal, only 60 bucks and you can pay me to read your manual and set your shit up.