• 79 results
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By SmugDarkLoser

In some rpgs, if you go deep into the system and want to make the most of your abilities, you're going to spend a decent amount of times in the menus.  That being said, some developers just haven't learned how to make a good menu.  Here, I present you with the worst rpg menu this generation.

-Yea pipboy, you are cool and all, but you suck.  You have the main sections that feel like huge flips, multiple pages within those, and then an amount of scrolling to be done on those pages.  You're just not laid out well.  In truth however, you are the Oblivion interface.  Why did I not put that instead?  Well, although you look awesome in white, you also suffer from glitches.  Why are you sometimes stuck in a bright mode where I can't read anything?  Come on now. 
-Another bad menu is Infinite Undiscovery's for a different reason that being you can't pause the game to go into it.  Yea, cool in theory for everything to be real time, but it makes me want to avoid it altogether.  It's not really flawed, nor is it good, but it just should be designed differently
- and my final example of a bad menu will go to fable 2 at its launch.  No, it's not really to do with your organization, but it shouldn't honestly lag while scrolling through menus, just no.  It's been fixed, so I can't hold a grudge, but this is just a big no-no.  Same goes with loading to access the menu.

Here's some good menus from this generation in rpgs:

Besides being super sleek looking, notice how everything is in view and easily laid out. While item lists are impossible to not scroll through, things like
accessory slots/ active weapon, etc. should not be in a scrolling list (think oblivion ).  It should all be laid out and once you click on it you should be given the list of equipable items.
And no, when I click on a weapon slot you should not give me the option of accessories only to say "unequippable" when I click you.  Wrong.  Those go in their respective item listing section. 

I think SO4 might fail in this part (not sure- don't have it, don't have screens/videos to prove yes or no).  Whenever you equip something that changes multiple stats, you should always have a comparison chart.  You should be able to see the stats you have in your current state and when highlights the oither should show the changes with a color code- doesn't matter what though. And the no effect doesn't have to be white either.  The key point is that you should be aware of changes being made easily.

Also, notice the top bar.   Notice how it describes some of the key stats.  Time played, gold, metal, and location. This isn't fitting for every game, but general important info should be easily displayed. 

Hope you actually read it, but if you just looked at the pretty menu pictures, that's fine too.  Comments would be appreciated.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

In some rpgs, if you go deep into the system and want to make the most of your abilities, you're going to spend a decent amount of times in the menus.  That being said, some developers just haven't learned how to make a good menu.  Here, I present you with the worst rpg menu this generation.

-Yea pipboy, you are cool and all, but you suck.  You have the main sections that feel like huge flips, multiple pages within those, and then an amount of scrolling to be done on those pages.  You're just not laid out well.  In truth however, you are the Oblivion interface.  Why did I not put that instead?  Well, although you look awesome in white, you also suffer from glitches.  Why are you sometimes stuck in a bright mode where I can't read anything?  Come on now. 
-Another bad menu is Infinite Undiscovery's for a different reason that being you can't pause the game to go into it.  Yea, cool in theory for everything to be real time, but it makes me want to avoid it altogether.  It's not really flawed, nor is it good, but it just should be designed differently
- and my final example of a bad menu will go to fable 2 at its launch.  No, it's not really to do with your organization, but it shouldn't honestly lag while scrolling through menus, just no.  It's been fixed, so I can't hold a grudge, but this is just a big no-no.  Same goes with loading to access the menu.

Here's some good menus from this generation in rpgs:

Besides being super sleek looking, notice how everything is in view and easily laid out. While item lists are impossible to not scroll through, things like
accessory slots/ active weapon, etc. should not be in a scrolling list (think oblivion ).  It should all be laid out and once you click on it you should be given the list of equipable items.
And no, when I click on a weapon slot you should not give me the option of accessories only to say "unequippable" when I click you.  Wrong.  Those go in their respective item listing section. 

I think SO4 might fail in this part (not sure- don't have it, don't have screens/videos to prove yes or no).  Whenever you equip something that changes multiple stats, you should always have a comparison chart.  You should be able to see the stats you have in your current state and when highlights the oither should show the changes with a color code- doesn't matter what though. And the no effect doesn't have to be white either.  The key point is that you should be aware of changes being made easily.

Also, notice the top bar.   Notice how it describes some of the key stats.  Time played, gold, metal, and location. This isn't fitting for every game, but general important info should be easily displayed. 

Hope you actually read it, but if you just looked at the pretty menu pictures, that's fine too.  Comments would be appreciated.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

The Pipboy menu is great. I don't know what you're smoking.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

FANBOY ALERT!  FANBOY ALERT!!!  Also, the Pipboy was excellent.  Sounds like you're just prejudice.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Jayge said:
"The Pipboy menu is great. I don't know what you're smoking."
it's great from an aesthetic design standpoint, but it fails in many areas.
1) obvious glitches
2) equipping- your equipped weapon is on a list among other weapons.  It should have a section that shows your weapons,etc. and then once you click on that a new column should pop up and give you the options.  You should go equipped weapon--> weapon type--> weapon
3) weirdness- i heal myself through the body menu for some things but I apply other stuff through the item section?
4) last page-- that's just random stuff.   It really is placed randomly
5) convultedness- they could have honestly have condensed these menus and been more into, as I said with #2, organizing these things within categories.

I honestly don't know why you'd defend this menu system.  Did you honestly not ever have a problem scrolling all the way down for a weapon in this heap of mess?
Also, Oblivion should have stuck with Morrowind's pictoral interface on the pc, why the hell didn't they?  Retarded.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jayge_
SmugDarkLoser said:
"I honestly don't know why you'd defend this menu system.  Did you honestly not ever have a problem scrolling all the way down for a weapon in this heap of mess?"
No, I honestly never did. I found the menu system to be awesome. I seriously didn't see anything you just listed as problems. Especially compared to the SO4 interface.
freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By freezerr

The Too Human menu was worse than Fallout 3's.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

So jayge, you didn't see anything that could be improved in this interface?  wow.
do you just disagree with me or what? 

Did you not find the lighting glitches to be a problem either?  Those enhanced the game I take it? 

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_
freezerr said:
"The Too Human menu was worse than Fallout 3's."
That wasn't bad at all either. Conceptually. It was a bit slow, but as a menu it worked very well.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_
SmugDarkLoser said:
"So jayge, you didn't see anything that could be improved in this interface?  wow.

Did you not find the lighting glitches to be a problem either?  Those enhanced the game I take it? "
I got the lighting glitch twice in over 95 hours of playtime. It was less than a non-issue for me. I just couldn't care less about it. Sure things could be improved about the Fallout interface (no interface is perfect). Does that mean the Fallout interface was bad at all? No.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
freezerr said:
"The Too Human menu was worse than Fallout 3's."
okay, yea, I agree with that.  They had two split sections.  Then again, I only played the demo.

I find that jrpg menus are typically much more fluent than wrpg ones though.  WRPGs tend to be more chunky in their menus.  I've never played a jrpg (that i can remember) that had animations to go through menus, if I remember correctly, the too human one has a roughly 2-3 second wind. No, just bring it up instantly. 
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Here's some good menus from this generation in rpgs:

"
I don't even know what I'm looking at. Are those items selectable? Which ones? And how are you supposed to navigate it?

I really don't see the advantage here.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayge_
LordAndrew said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:

"
I don't even know what I'm looking at. Are those items selectable? Which ones? And how are you supposed to navigate it?

I really don't see the advantage here."
I'm pretty sure he used a stationary character stat display as an example of a good and easily traversed menu.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#13  Edited By LordAndrew

Okay, yeah. It seems you can't actually equip / unequip stuff from this menu. I think that's actually kind of confusing, since you can see exactly what they're wearing, but not modify it.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Jayge said:
"LordAndrew said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:

"

I really don't see the advantage here."
I'm pretty sure he used a stationary character stat display as an example of a good and easily traversed menu."

no, it's the fact of displaying everything straight up and easily. It's not cluttered but it tells you a load of crap- all your equiped things, your magic stones? (dunno), and all your stats and leveling info.
think about how many lists that'd be in fallout (the equivelants).  Equipped items (big list with dots for equipped), armor (list with dot), skill traits, the main skill points, and another menu, front page for your numerical health, another page for your leveling info. 

The point is of a status screen is to lay out all info for your characters.
hit back and there's a page called equip- you then select weapon, accessory, etc. and then you'll get you list and there's an organizer by RB (name, by strength, value)

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
SmugDarkLoser said:
"
no, it's the fact of displaying everything straight up and easily. It's not cluttered but it tells you a load of crap- all your equiped things, your magic stones? (dunno), and all your stats and leveling info.
think about how many lists that'd be in fallout (the equivelants).  Equipped items (big list with dots for equipped), armor (list with dot), skill traits, the main skill points, and another menu, front page for your numerical health, another page for your leveling info. 

"
Looks manageable to me. This doesn't seem like a complaint about interfaces as much as it seems to be a complaint about the fact that you seem to be unable to navigate those interfaces successful. As shown by your preference for tedious numbers of related menus showing the same general information in jRPG menus. I really don't see how you find most of your "flaws" to be serious annoyances.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Systech
Jayge said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"So jayge, you didn't see anything that could be improved in this interface?  wow.

Did you not find the lighting glitches to be a problem either?  Those enhanced the game I take it? "
I got the lighting glitch twice in over 95 hours of playtime. It was less than a non-issue for me. I just couldn't care less about it. Sure things could be improved about the Fallout interface (no interface is perfect). Does that mean the Fallout interface was bad at all? No."
Same here. I thought the Pipboy was one of the coolest menus in a video game ever.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By atejas

Pipboy was fine. You were playing it on the 360, so using buttons to flip through the screens might have something to do with it. Works much better with a mouse.

Although I do agree that some interfaces try too hard to be aesthetic and end up being clunky, a good example of an interface I like in a (semi-)RPG is STALKER. They fucked it up in Clear Sky by trying to make it 'intuitive' and by marking out EVERYTHING(mutants, bandits, you name it) on your minimap ahead of time.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^they aren't that big of a deal, but wouldn't you agree that they could make it so much easier?  While I'm sure you don't spend much times in the menus because no offense, but by the way you post/ the games you say you play, you seem like the type of person who would have those skill points and not realize you have to equip them (think kotor), there's no reason I should have to scroll through lists of items to do something. 

I do spend quite some times in the meus at times, and I've just been finding that I so wish I could rearrange the design of some to make what I'm doing so much quicker.  More often than not though this happens in JRPGs though, but in fallout for example, combing guns could be much easier.  They could just list each type of gun and put   xquantity  and then once you go on that to the right would appear each's gun with their health bar.  This'd help especially with scrolling through the list.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
systech said:
"Jayge said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:

I got the lighting glitch twice in over 95 hours of playtime. It was less than a non-issue for me. I just couldn't care less about it. Sure things could be improved about the Fallout interface (no interface is perfect). Does that mean the Fallout interface was bad at all? No."
Same here. I thought the Pipboy was one of the coolest menus in a video game ever."

No doubt, the pipboy is freaking neat.  The interface itself sucks however.
As far as a wristwatch idea goes and the metal green screen (or whatever color you pick), that's damn neat.

Repeating myself again:  The pipboy is fucking awesome from an aesthetic design point (for a menu).  But it could have been so much better designed in fuction
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By AndrewGaspar
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Jayge said:
"The Pipboy menu is great. I don't know what you're smoking."
it's great from an aesthetic design standpoint, but it fails in many areas.
1) obvious glitches
2) equipping- your equipped weapon is on a list among other weapons.  It should have a section that shows your weapons,etc. and then once you click on that a new column should pop up and give you the options.  You should go equipped weapon--> weapon type--> weapon
3) weirdness- i heal myself through the body menu for some things but I apply other stuff through the item section?
4) last page-- that's just random stuff.   It really is placed randomly
5) convultedness- they could have honestly have condensed these menus and been more into, as I said with #2, organizing these things within categories.

I honestly don't know why you'd defend this menu system.  Did you honestly not ever have a problem scrolling all the way down for a weapon in this heap of mess?
Also, Oblivion should have stuck with Morrowind's pictoral interface on the pc, why the hell didn't they?  Retarded."
I agree with a lot of what you said.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By atejas
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

^they aren't that big of a deal, but wouldn't you agree that they could make it so much easier?  While I'm sure you don't spend much times in the menus because no offense, but by the way you post/ the games you say you play, you seem like the type of person who would have those skill points and not realize you have to equip them (think kotor), there's no reason I should have to scroll through lists of items to do something. 

I do spend quite some times in the meus at times, and I've just been finding that I so wish I could rearrange the design of some to make what I'm doing so much quicker.  More often than not though this happens in JRPGs though, but in fallout for example, combing guns could be much easier.  They could just list each type of gun and put   xquantity  and then once you go on that to the right would appear each's gun with their health bar.  This'd help especially with scrolling through the list.

"
It did take a lot of getting used to, I'll admit.
And I spend plenty of time mucking around with skill points. Like Deus Ex or Vampire, every time I get some new exp, I'll open up my screen and sit back, deciding.
Deciding.

Deciding.
Eventually I'll pick something useless like swimming and regret it for the rest of the game.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I always thought complaining about interface unless it seriously hampers your playtime is kinda nitpicky. The only interface that I've hated and have held against a game is Mass Effect's, due to when you break down items, it sends you to the top of the list of items every time, but the weak items are at the bottom of the list, so you have to keep scrolling down over and over and over. That sucked.

Right, no?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187
Jayge said:
"(no interface is perfect)"
Dead Space is.  =  P
I agree with you, though, Jayge.  The Pipboy was perfectly fine to use.  Smug, I really don't see what your points are.  Here, I'll show you:

"1) obvious glitches"
Like Jayge pointed out, the lighting glitch was seldom for many of us.  I've only seen it once in the entire time I've played the game.

"2) equipping- your equipped weapon is on a list among other weapons.  It should have a section that shows your weapons,etc. and then once you click on that a new column should pop up and give you the options.  You should go equipped weapon--> weapon type--> weapon"
Your equipped item is marked with a little square on the side.  All it takes it 1/4 of a brain to screw that one up.  Do you honestly need a filter to tell you that "Combat Shotgun" is a shotgun?  On top of which, there shouldn't really be much of a reason to carry more than four guns on you at any time, or whatever your specialty is (melee, energy weapons, etc).  If you are an expert in energy weapons, then why the fuck would you even HAVE a shotgun?  lol  Meanwhile, JRPGs want you to have everything on your person at any given time, and these skinny androgynous punks are able to carry ALL of that shit around with no problem?  What, they have a mule and a wagon behind them hauling it around?!  lol  Then again, I guess you could argue about how a character in F3 is able to carry 6 Chinese Assault Rifles, 2 Laser Rifles, 3 Sledgehammers, 2 Magnums, a Sniper Rifle, a Power Fist, a set of Power Armor, and 9 other sets of armor all at the same time...so it's whatever.  Regardless, the itemization menu works just fine.
"3) weirdness- i heal myself through the body menu for some things but I apply other stuff through the item section?"
You use the body menu to heal yourself when you are crippled.  Everything else is basically like using health potions, and that can be hotkey'd onto the D-pad.  Since you can basically get umpteen gajillion Medpaks in the game, it's not even a concern for the most part.  I mean, in most JRPGs, don't you have to go back to your menu in order to use your Phoenix Downs and your poison removals and other stuff?  So what's the honest difference?
"4) last page-- that's just random stuff.   It really is placed randomly"
Isn't the last page nothing more than radio stations?  Or are you talking about all the different notes and recipes and stuff you pick up?  Why does that need to be organized?  It's simply some backstory stuff and that's all.  I mean, how do you want it to be organized?  Main story stuff, side quest stuff, recipe stuff, radio station stuff, warrants, etc etc etc?  I mean, you would have a menu that's got more options than the actual Pipboy itself has!!!  That's just stupid.  It's much easier to just put it all on one tab, and someone who is seriously interested in reading the stuff can just go to that tab and find the stuff, read stuff, whatever.  You want a real puzzler, here you go:  why do JRPGs need to have 12 different menu selections just to get to a simple item?  Why do they need all those filters?  Is it honestly easier than just down on your analog stick until you get to what you want?
"5) convultedness- they could have honestly have condensed these menus and been more into, as I said with #2, organizing these things within categories. "
Smug, don't ever use the word "convolutedness" again in DEFENSE of JRPGs.  1.  You spelled it wrong.  2.  JRPGs have some of the most convoluted fucking menus on the planet.  To even claim that is just.......just......ABSURD!!!
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^i was talking to jayge about the skill points actually...lulz.
making jayge hate me, 1 more step at a time.

I also have a problem with assigning skill points, but that's a different story...mostly to do with my indecisiveness ):

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Discorsi

Really?  Pip boy the worst?  It "sucks."  Are you serious.  Pip boy is very adequate at doing all the things you want to do in fallout 3 and more.  You can do anything you want reasonably fast.  There is always going to be some clutter if you have a lot of items but that is true about any menu system.  Maybe a few more organization options could have been implemented but Pip boy was more than capable to do want you wanted to do.

On a different note, I thought the menu system of TWEWY was very good.  A bad rpg menu would be the one found in Mass Effect.  I don't know if I would call it the worst because I am just not going to say that.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Arkthemaniac
jakob187 said:
"5) convultedness- they could have honestly have condensed these menus and been more into, as I said with #2, organizing these things within categories. "
Smug, don't ever use the word "convolutedness" again in DEFENSE of JRPGs. 
Ah, the lulz of late-night GiantBomb . . .
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By atejas

The only real problem I had with Fallout 3's UI is the same one I had with Oblivion- it was designed to be read from halfway across the room. Once you get a mod that reduces the size of the text it's much better.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
jakob187 said:
"Jayge said: Your equipped item is marked with a little square on the side.  All it takes it 1/4 of a brain to screw that one up.  Do you honestly need a filter to tell you that "Combat Shotgun" is a shotgun?  On top of which, there shouldn't really be much of a reason to carry more than four guns on you at any time, or whatever your specialty is (melee, energy weapons, etc).  If you are an expert in energy weapons, then why the fuck would you even HAVE a shotgun?  lol  Meanwhile, JRPGs want you to have everything on your person at any given time, and these skinny androgynous punks are able to carry ALL of that shit around with no problem?  What, they have a mule and a wagon behind them hauling it around?!  lol  Then again, I guess you could argue about how a character in F3 is able to carry 6 Chinese Assault Rifles, 2 Laser Rifles, 3 Sledgehammers, 2 Magnums, a Sniper Rifle, a Power Fist, a set of Power Armor, and 9 other sets of armor all at the same time...so it's whatever.  Regardless, the itemization menu works just fine.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By breadfan
Discorsi said:
 There is always going to be some clutter if you have a lot of items but that is true about any menu system. 

I agree the only problem I have ever had with the Pip boy was when cycling through my items when I was carrying too much.  Aside from that I found it simple and easy to use
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Br3adfan said:
"Discorsi said:
 There is always going to be some clutter if you have a lot of items but that is true about any menu system. 

yes, but can we not make it so hunting rifles only take up one space? 
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jakob187
SmugDarkLoser said:
"we're not talking about being able to go through it, we're talking about going through it with speed.  It's like having a huge blog with articles vs. and index with links to each article."
Who says you have to go through it with speed?  When did that become the standard?  Did I miss something?  Wait, you ARE talking about the game that FREEZES FUCKING TIME AND LETS YOU HEADSHOT FOOLS WITH EASE, right?
Okay, just checking.  LOL  In Fallout 3, you have all the time you want.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jayge_
SmugDarkLoser said:
"jakob187 said:
"Jayge said: Your equipped item is marked with a little square on the side.  All it takes it 1/4 of a brain to screw that one up.  Do you honestly need a filter to tell you that "Combat Shotgun" is a shotgun?  On top of which, there shouldn't really be much of a reason to carry more than four guns on you at any time, or whatever your specialty is (melee, energy weapons, etc).  If you are an expert in energy weapons, then why the fuck would you even HAVE a shotgun?  lol  Meanwhile, JRPGs want you to have everything on your person at any given time, and these skinny androgynous punks are able to carry ALL of that shit around with no problem?  What, they have a mule and a wagon behind them hauling it around?!  lol  Then again, I guess you could argue about how a character in F3 is able to carry 6 Chinese Assault Rifles, 2 Laser Rifles, 3 Sledgehammers, 2 Magnums, a Sniper Rifle, a Power Fist, a set of Power Armor, and 9 other sets of armor all at the same time...so it's whatever.  Regardless, the itemization menu works just fine.

"
we're not talking about being able to go through it, we're talking about going through it with speed.  It's like having a huge blog with articles vs. and index with links to each article. 

And you also brought up my largest problem with some wrpgs---> item limits.  I'm sorry, but this isn't fun.  If we're going to play make believe that your character carries items dependent on weight yet at the same time shows like he's carrying nothing except what's equipped, let's make believe that your magic pocket also applies to weight in addition to volume. "
You just don't get WRPGs at *all* do you.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By breadfan
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Br3adfan said:
"Discorsi said:

yes, but can we not make it so hunting rifles only take up one space? "
Why it isn't that much of a hassle to deal with
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Arkthemaniac
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Br3adfan said:
"Discorsi said:

Not at all, because they have different conditions. It's simpler to have one main list of weapons rather than a bunch of sub-lists as well. Also, there's special weapons that are hunting rifles as well. Where would these go?
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ can you please explain the point of item limits and how they benefit the game?
I do like wrpgs, but I like jrpgs more.  They're completely different for the record and the only similarities are the focus on stats.  WRPGs sometimes will go for a story as well (although some don't).  JRPGs always do. 

JRPGs are really (turn based) action games with usually an open world via disproportioned world map/ town list that last 50-120 hours and are story driven.  WRPGs are typically reliant on combat and somtimes will develop a story, still more common than a typical action game, but it's not a requirement.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By breadfan
SmugDarkLoser said:
JRPGs are really (turn based) action games with usually an open world via disproportioned world map/ town list that last 50-120 hours and are story driven.  WRPGs are typically reliant on combat and somtimes will develop a story, still more common than a typical action game, but it's not a requirement."
Yeah...so
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jayge_
SmugDarkLoser said:
"^ can you please explain the point of item limits and how they benefit the game?
I do like wrpgs, but I like jrpgs more.  They're completely different for the record and the only similarities are the focus on stats.  WRPGs sometimes will go for a story as well (although some don't).  JRPGs always do. 

JRPGs are really (turn based) action games with usually an open world via disproportioned world map/ town list that last 50-120 hours and are story driven.  WRPGs are typically reliant on combat and somtimes will develop a story, still more common than a typical action game, but it's not a requirement."
I really don't know how to explain the WRPG to you without you apparently understanding about legacy DnD-style stat and game design.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Arkthemaniac
SmugDarkLoser said:
 WRPGs are typically reliant on combat and somtimes will develop a story, still more common than a typical action game, but it's not a requirement."
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand that's why WRPGs are actually good.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Arkthemaniac said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"Br3adfan said:
"Discorsi said:

Not at all, because they have different conditions. It's simpler to have one main list of weapons rather than a bunch of sub-lists as well. Also, there's special weapons that are hunting rifles as well. Where would these go?"

Like this:
No Caption Provided

again, while having 3 hunting rifles doesn't hurt, having 3 hunting rifles, 3 combat knives, 3 baseball bats, etc. makes it way longer than necessary.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jakob187
SmugDarkLoser said:
"^ can you please explain the point of item limits and how they benefit the game?"
Can you please explain the point of not having item limits?  So I can have tons of shit that I DON'T NEED cluttering up my menu more?  Item limits force you to carry what you NEED rather than a bunch of bullshit that doesn't matter anyways.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Arkthemaniac
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"Br3adfan said:
"Discorsi said:

Not at all, because they have different conditions. It's simpler to have one main list of weapons rather than a bunch of sub-lists as well. Also, there's special weapons that are hunting rifles as well. Where would these go?"

Like this:
No Caption Provided
"
That picture is just hilarious to me. If only it were in crayon . . .
Still, they went for a simpler route than that. The fact that they're alphabetized pretty much clears up all these problems anyway.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jakob187
SmugDarkLoser said:
"again, while having 3 hunting rifles doesn't hurt, having 3 hunting rifles, 3 combat knives, 3 baseball bats, etc. makes it way longer than necessary."
Does someone need to explain the repair system in the game to you, because your idea would basically break it.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ because item management is a bitch.
you're essentially saying that it's because of clutter.  That's not exactly a good arguement to say at this point.

Honestly, do you like managing weight?  Did you not get pissed when you were raiding the daedric shines and couldn't bring back some more daedric armor that you rightfully earned because you were over encumbered?  Bullshit.  I quite literally did a recall and had to walk to the barter by repeaitng picking up and dropping the item.  Keep in mind I'm talking about morrowind here.  I can't just pick it up...which compeltely makes sense in oblivion (only when it's in your inventory, what?)

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Arkthemaniac
SmugDarkLoser said:
"^ because item management is a bitch.
you're essentially saying that it's because of clutter.  That's not exactly a good arguement to say at this point.

Honestly, do you like managing weight?  Did you not get pissed when you were raiding the daedric shines and couldn't bring back some more daedric armor that you rightfully earned because you were over encumbered?  Bullshit.  I quite literally did a recall and had to walk to the barter by repeaitng picking up and dropping the item.  Keep in mind I'm talking about morrowind here.  I can't just pick it up...which compeltely makes sense in oblivion (only when it's in your inventory, what?)"
Well, as far as this example goes, I liked that, because it made you compromise. It also made strength potions all the more valuable.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
jakob187 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"again, while having 3 hunting rifles doesn't hurt, having 3 hunting rifles, 3 combat knives, 3 baseball bats, etc. makes it way longer than necessary."
Does someone need to explain the repair system in the game to you, because your idea would basically break it."
Not truthfully, because you cannot repair items fully until a certain level and at times it's not worth repairing it for value and whatnot. 

I can't believe people are honestly trying to debate saying that an index of sorts is worse, wow, this is amusing me. 
I say we rearrange giant bomb.  Let's put every page on a blog.  Screw these seperate pages and links... who needs em anyways?

Why is this thread using multiple pages?  Damn, so much easier to just scroll to the bottum.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jakob187
SmugDarkLoser said:

Honestly, do you like managing weight?  Did you not get pissed when you were raiding the daedric shines and couldn't bring back some more daedric armor that you rightfully earned because you were over encumbered?  Bullshit.  I quite literally did a recall and had to walk to the barter by repeaitng picking up and dropping the item.  Keep in mind I'm talking about morrowind here.  I can't just pick it up...which compeltely makes sense in oblivion (only when it's in your inventory, what?)"
Yeah, Jayge...he obviously doesn't understand D&D very well.  =  /  I give up at this point, as it's a lost cause.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Arkthemaniac said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:

Well, as far as this example goes, I liked that, because it made you compromise. It also made strength potions all the more valuable."
In morrowind?  Noez, please noez.  I just don't think you should have to compromise.
There's a fine line between neat sounding ideas and what is fun, I mentioned this with Infinite.  While not being able to pause the games to do activities like creating potions sounds neat, it really isn't that great.

In fallout, perhaps.  The game is sort of about scavenging, well, at least in the start of the game

Thinking about that in general terms, that is the biggest problem with wrpgs.  They forget aspects of fun.  Fable sort of said screw all of that and I think is headed in the right direction, although it prides itself in becoming an action game.  Yea, although I like fable, it's not the direction all wrpgs should take. 
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By breadfan
SmugDarkLoser said:
Thinking about that in general terms, that is the biggest problem with wrpgs.  They forget aspects of fun.  Fable sort of said screw all of that and I think is headed in the right direction, although it prides itself in becoming an action game.  Yea, although I like fable, it's not the direction all wrpgs should take. "
I had a lot of fun playing Oblivion and Fallout, so I don't see what you are talking about. 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By LiquidPrince

As long as a menu doesn't lag and does what I want it to do, I'm cool. It could be a white background with black text for all I could care.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Br3adfan said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
Thinking about that in general terms, that is the biggest problem with wrpgs.  They forget aspects of fun.  Fable sort of said screw all of that and I think is headed in the right direction, although it prides itself in becoming an action game.  Yea, although I like fable, it's not the direction all wrpgs should take. "
I had a lot of fun playing Oblivion and Fallout, so I don't see what you are talking about. "
I mean they forget that sometimes a feature isn't fun, although it sounds neat on paper.
Not saying they're not fun games, I do like both.