coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

Edited By coonce
Hey guys,

We just deployed new notification code this morning that allows you to configure your account to receive instant email notifications if you so choose. This was an old feature on ComicVine and its something we're happy to have brought back.

Instant email notifications follow the same rules as the instant pm notifications that are already on the site - you essentially define which actions kick emails off to you. The current actions are:
  • Friend requests
  • When another user comments on your content (blogs, images, reviews, guides, etc.)
  • Wiki submission approvals (not instant approvals, but those that go through moderation)
  • Guide edits by another user (on public guides)
  • Wall posts by another user on your wall
  • Review recommendations
  • @Replies and @Quotes in the forums

By default, we carried over everyone's old PM notification settings - so those should be the exact same. Instant Email notifications are turned off by default, so if you want to receive notifications via email - you are going to have to go to your settings to turn them on. Note that emails are pure text, not html, so they should be easily readable and should provide a link back to the activity that generated the message.

Follow the instructions below to configure your notification settings:
1. Go to your notification settings in your profile:

No Caption Provided
2. Configure your settings and click 'Save':

No Caption Provided
3. Sit back and wait for notifications to come through. Note - you may need to check Spam settings on your email and add ComicVine/GiantBomb/AnimeVice to your 'Safe' list.

No Caption Provided
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By coonce
Hey guys,

We just deployed new notification code this morning that allows you to configure your account to receive instant email notifications if you so choose. This was an old feature on ComicVine and its something we're happy to have brought back.

Instant email notifications follow the same rules as the instant pm notifications that are already on the site - you essentially define which actions kick emails off to you. The current actions are:
  • Friend requests
  • When another user comments on your content (blogs, images, reviews, guides, etc.)
  • Wiki submission approvals (not instant approvals, but those that go through moderation)
  • Guide edits by another user (on public guides)
  • Wall posts by another user on your wall
  • Review recommendations
  • @Replies and @Quotes in the forums

By default, we carried over everyone's old PM notification settings - so those should be the exact same. Instant Email notifications are turned off by default, so if you want to receive notifications via email - you are going to have to go to your settings to turn them on. Note that emails are pure text, not html, so they should be easily readable and should provide a link back to the activity that generated the message.

Follow the instructions below to configure your notification settings:
1. Go to your notification settings in your profile:

No Caption Provided
2. Configure your settings and click 'Save':

No Caption Provided
3. Sit back and wait for notifications to come through. Note - you may need to check Spam settings on your email and add ComicVine/GiantBomb/AnimeVice to your 'Safe' list.

No Caption Provided
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Email is so 2006. I need REAL mail, mail I can touch with my FACE. Make it happen, Coonce...

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA

Or make it @ reply to me on Twitter.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By RHCPfan24

Ooo....white site......

And this is a neat feature but I check Giant Bomb more than my email (lol) so getting my notifications there would be overkill.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By kush

I love the evil possibilities of this feature...I already have my master plan set out and prepped for GO!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

This could be quite useful for people who actually check their e-mail more often than they visit the site. But those people probably aren't even going to notice this option.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I visit the site more often than I visit my e-mail, so this is pretty useless to me, but I'm sure this will be useful to less regular users.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Alexander

This is great for me as I have iGoogle as my homepage and see my inbox all the time.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By natetodamax
RHCPfan24 said:
Ooo....white site......And this is a neat feature but I check Giant Bomb more than my email (lol) so getting my ... [more]
Ooo....comicvine....
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By coonce

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Just deployed code to fix the funny quotes / ampersand escaping issues in emails.