DEVELOPER DIARY: Trivia!

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

Edited By coonce

Alrighty guys - we just launched a our new Trivia feature over the weekend (last friday really)! I'm really excited about it - and judging by how many of you guys are already participating in the game - I think its gonna be a really fun feature :)

We'll be making a more official announcement next week, but I felt like blogging about it to drop some of the details for you dudes:

The Game:
  • Its really just a never-ending trivia game. The trivia questions are submitted by you guys - and answered by the rest of the community. 
  • Its super simple, really fun, and kind of addicting. In fact, as we pushed it out last friday night, we were all sitting in the office having a few beers and trying to outdo each other's questions - just having a really good time w/ it.
  • The questions can be anything from multiple choice, to true/false, and you can embed images or even youtube clips in them. Get as creative and as challenging as you want.

The Leaderboards:
  • Along with the game itself - we wrote a fairly robust leaderboard system (this is where it really gets fun) - so you can see how well you're doing w/in the community.
  • The leaderboards calculate your rank based off a "Games Behind" algorithm (like baseball) but you can also see how has submitted the most questions, who has answered the most questions, etc.

Stuff We'll Be Adding:
  • So we pushed the trivia code out friday evening and it was really only Staff adding and answering questions -- and it was amazing to see how many of you dudes actually found out about it and started submitting questions w/ us.  We were basically running an open BETA this weekend and we have a lot of the major bugs/hacks worked out right now.
  • I'd really like to dig deep into the data to produce cooler stats / leaderboards for you guys - cause I really think that's when it gets interesting.
  • We'll be adding content specific leaderboards and quizes -- so if you're on the God Of War page, you'll be able to see where you rank w/in that specific content object.
  • We'll be adding question ranking -- so poorly written questions will be able to be 'buried' if enough users feel like its a bad question.
  • Ryan was thinking about adding a comedy rating on the questions - so we can see which of the questions are the funniest.

That's it for now -- I will not be working on trivia till monday - I just wanted to give you guys a heads up that its live and its out there - so submit questions - take the quiz and have fun!

Let us know what other features you would like to see as a part of this new feature?
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By coonce

Alrighty guys - we just launched a our new Trivia feature over the weekend (last friday really)! I'm really excited about it - and judging by how many of you guys are already participating in the game - I think its gonna be a really fun feature :)

We'll be making a more official announcement next week, but I felt like blogging about it to drop some of the details for you dudes:

The Game:
  • Its really just a never-ending trivia game. The trivia questions are submitted by you guys - and answered by the rest of the community. 
  • Its super simple, really fun, and kind of addicting. In fact, as we pushed it out last friday night, we were all sitting in the office having a few beers and trying to outdo each other's questions - just having a really good time w/ it.
  • The questions can be anything from multiple choice, to true/false, and you can embed images or even youtube clips in them. Get as creative and as challenging as you want.

The Leaderboards:
  • Along with the game itself - we wrote a fairly robust leaderboard system (this is where it really gets fun) - so you can see how well you're doing w/in the community.
  • The leaderboards calculate your rank based off a "Games Behind" algorithm (like baseball) but you can also see how has submitted the most questions, who has answered the most questions, etc.

Stuff We'll Be Adding:
  • So we pushed the trivia code out friday evening and it was really only Staff adding and answering questions -- and it was amazing to see how many of you dudes actually found out about it and started submitting questions w/ us.  We were basically running an open BETA this weekend and we have a lot of the major bugs/hacks worked out right now.
  • I'd really like to dig deep into the data to produce cooler stats / leaderboards for you guys - cause I really think that's when it gets interesting.
  • We'll be adding content specific leaderboards and quizes -- so if you're on the God Of War page, you'll be able to see where you rank w/in that specific content object.
  • We'll be adding question ranking -- so poorly written questions will be able to be 'buried' if enough users feel like its a bad question.
  • Ryan was thinking about adding a comedy rating on the questions - so we can see which of the questions are the funniest.

That's it for now -- I will not be working on trivia till monday - I just wanted to give you guys a heads up that its live and its out there - so submit questions - take the quiz and have fun!

Let us know what other features you would like to see as a part of this new feature?
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By coonce
Some BETA Stats:
  • Number of questions in the quiz so far: 674
  • Number of questions answered so far: 16,231
  • Highest ranked user: MnB
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

I've messed around with it so far and it's been pretty awesome...Some of the user-submitted questions are oddly worded though; some are extremely vague too.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Player1

nice, gonna go check it out now. 

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By hexogen

This is a really awesome feature. It's a great thing to play around with when I'm bored. I'm glad to hear about that question ranking stuff, because I've been getting a lot of really vague questions, such as "What city is Rita from?" and "Who is the final boss?" with no mention of the game it's about or anything.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah, fun little game, but some questions are entirely vague.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
"I've been getting a lot of really vague questions, such as "What city is Rita from?" and "Who is the final boss?" with no mention of the game it's about or anything."

Thats just about the only problem I have had with it, other than that it's great!
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kush
Newten said:
""I've been getting a lot of really vague questions, such as "What city is Rita from?" and "Who is the final boss?" with no mention of the game it's about or anything."

Thats just about the only problem I have had with it, other than that it's great!"
Yea, that "Who is the final boss" question was ridiculous.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Disgaeamad

It was pretty neat to stumble across it on Friday. I've had a lot of fun with it so far, and being able to add your own questions is a really neat feature. You guys don't fail to impress!

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By MasterSplinter

The leaderboard / personal stats inclusion is what is going to have people addicted. It is really awesome to see how creative and difficult some of these questions are. You also get a sense as to what types of games specific users enjoy. Aside from the occasional vagueness previously mentioned, I have been enjoying it a lot.

pill92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By pill92

Sounds awesome!

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By coonce
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Disgaeamad

Personally, I'd say it should go in the main nav. There's plenty of space for it, and it's a feature that should be pimped as much as possible.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Bass

Can I make a suggestion?
Each trivia question is tied to a specific wiki page right? Well, it seems like it would be entirely possible to make each trivia question show us which game (or franchise, or whatever) the question relates to. This would help questions that are vague (like "what is the Final Boss") seem completely valid.
Either that, or add a blurb to the "add a new question" form to ask potential question writers to give their questions context.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy
Uh oh. :O

ReTarDedFisHy guessed about 50 questions, and now his stats are screwed up. :S

Hehe, whoops. ;D
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karmum

Of all suggestions I should be making (if you were aware of what happened in Trivia, but this isn't the point), I would like to make a suggestion, if it has not been mentioned already.

Giving an Optional Summary of the Answer

Once you answer a question (right or wrong), the author could add an optional summary about the answer. For instance: Final Fantasy 7. The summary could be a drop-down box or would appear in the vicinity of the answer.

Question: Who is the Main Character in Final Fantasy 7

Answer A: Cloud Strife
Answer B: Barret
Answer C: Tifa

Answer: Cloud Strife

Summary: The answer is Cloud Strife. Cloud is the main character in Final Fantasy 7, and the protagonist of the game.

You could also add even more information (such as where he was born, links to his character page, etc.) I think it would be a cool idea.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm a cynical bastard. And I can see this feature being totally raped by dudes who write stupidly abstract complicated questions, or questions with the wrong answers. Never underestimate the predictable stupidity of the internet. Is there ANY form of moderation taking place here?

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Absurd

What is the "Games Behind" ranking system? I googled it but it seemed a little complicated

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrfluke
yeh there is moderation going on in the trivia section (thank god because sweep is right)

also coonce i hope the announcement next week comes with a link in the header to go directly to the trivia
peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By peewi

I think that the ability to edit and/or delete questions you've submitted is needed. Sometimes you make a typo and you don't notice until later.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Sounds great.

KensterFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By KensterFox

I approve of this feature.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Newten said:
""I've been getting a lot of really vague questions, such as "What city is Rita from?" and "Who is the final boss?" with no mention of the game it's about or anything."

Thats just about the only problem I have had with it, other than that it's great!"
Yep this is the problemo
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Damn, I hate this feature!!! I was doing really well, I was nearly at 70% correct, but now I keep getting really specific questions about games I've never played, and now I'm struggling to keep it above 50%. Damn all of you adding those - I'm looking at you MattBodega, why the hell are you so obsessed with that damn matrix game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By snide
Bass said:
"Can I make a suggestion?
Each trivia question is tied to a specific wiki page right? Well, it seems like it would be entirely possible to make each trivia question show us which game (or franchise, or whatever) the question relates to. This would help questions that are vague (like "what is the Final Boss") seem completely valid.
Either that, or add a blurb to the "add a new question" form to ask potential question writers to give their questions context."
The reason this isn't done is that it often gives away the answer. The better solution is to just allow peeps to vote down poorly written questions.  That feature is coming soon.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
snide said:
"Bass said:
Either that, or add a blurb to the "add a new question" form to ask potential question writers to give their questions context."
The reason this isn't done is that it often gives away the answer. The better solution is to just allow peeps to vote down poorly written questions.  That feature is coming soon."
If you put that in, what's to stop people from voting down a question that they found hard? Like how people abuse the forum rating tool by rating down posts that they disagree with? I agree something needs to be done to get rid of bad questions, but that system could lead to abuse.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#27  Edited By LordAndrew
MattyFTM said:
"snide said:
"Bass said:
The reason this isn't done is that it often gives away the answer. The better solution is to just allow peeps to vote down poorly written questions.  That feature is coming soon."
If you put that in, what's to stop people from voting down a question that they found hard? Like how people abuse the forum rating tool by rating down posts that they disagree with? I agree something needs to be done to get rid of bad questions, but that system could lead to abuse."
What's stopping someone from purposely creating questions with incorrect answers?  So far, people seem to be pretty responsible with the trivia game.

Oh, and if you enjoyed MattBodega's Matrix questions, you're going to love mine. :)
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By snide

Any system that involves user submission can lead to abuse. We'll do the best we can to avoid gaming/abuse and watch the system closely over the first week.

mnB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mnB

Hey Coonce/GB. Really like the trivia, and so does a lot of other users it seems. Without a doubt my favourite feature on the site - Great idea!

As for suggestions :

I'm not very fond of the ability to "jump in questions" by clicking on em' in peoples profile feeds. This also gives users the ability to answer their own questions. Might consider ordering the question, as you said Coonce, from easiest to most difficult... or even randomly to avoid abuse.

A thing that also needs a fix is questions tied to a specific game. There's some simple questions like "who's the boss in this game" that's kinda hard to answer since there's no indication of what game they're referring to (besides checking out their trivia page) - a picture in the corner of the question box or something definitely wouldn't hurt.

Some sort of edit tool or moderation (no idea if this is going on already) so people have a chance to correct their mistakes... There's a lot of spelling mistakes out there - the question ranking might take care of this.

And yeah, this should definitely go in the main nav.

Anyways, most of this had probably already been said - just what I had on my mind. Looking forward to see what you guys can come up with for this.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Snail

Wasn't expecting this...

Awesome...
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Staff and mods can delete trivia questions, right? Can one of you delete my question "Which of these is not a real pokemon?", because I accidentally selected a wrong answer as the right answer.

EDIT: Turns out I'm even more of an idiot than I thought, I did select the right answer, so ignore this post.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Snail
MattyFTM said:
"Staff and mods can delete trivia questions, right? Can one of you delete my question "Which of these is not a real pokemon?", because I accidentally selected a wrong answer as the right answer."
incompetent fool! MEHEHEHEHHEEHHE!
I WANT ZE FURNITURE! SHOOP DA WOOP! NOW SING!

Introducing randomness. ^