Disney Thinks People Really Want to Play Guitar

vinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By vinny

Hannah Montana may be able to get through life with a plastic guitar but you'd better believe any daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus knows how to at least form an E-Chord. I just spotted this story from earlier in the week, but Disney has new product called Star Guitarist that uses real guitars in a Guiter Hero-style environment. It's pretty easy to dismiss a rhythm game by Disney, especially when it's only available on PCs and Macs, but at least they are committing to using real guitars in a commercial product. It even looks like they've paired up with Washburn to include an actual guitar, ableit at 3/4 (Disney fan) size, which maybe justifies the $200 price tag.

I've seen some noncommercial projects out there trying to do this same thing, but I think this is the first retail product to use real guitars. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you I'm excited about this, but I do think the technology is interesting. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are games, while this definitely seems to be more of the "learning can be fun" experience. I always thought it kind of absurd when people would play Guitar Hero and bemoan the fact that it's not like playing a real guitar and then proclaim how many years they have been shredding away. Yeah, it's true it's not like playing a real guitar and it's also not like sitting alone on the edge of your bed playing the first four bars of Sweet Child of Mine over and over again for two weeks.

I think it's a pretty cool piece of tech, and I would even be interested in using something similiar to practice with, but I don't think Harmonix and Activision will be including six strings in their next batch of hardware...yet. Is this the shot in the arm the genre needs or is it just too much to ask people to really learn to play guitar for a game?

Check out the full piece on Wired.
vinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vinny

Hannah Montana may be able to get through life with a plastic guitar but you'd better believe any daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus knows how to at least form an E-Chord. I just spotted this story from earlier in the week, but Disney has new product called Star Guitarist that uses real guitars in a Guiter Hero-style environment. It's pretty easy to dismiss a rhythm game by Disney, especially when it's only available on PCs and Macs, but at least they are committing to using real guitars in a commercial product. It even looks like they've paired up with Washburn to include an actual guitar, ableit at 3/4 (Disney fan) size, which maybe justifies the $200 price tag.

I've seen some noncommercial projects out there trying to do this same thing, but I think this is the first retail product to use real guitars. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you I'm excited about this, but I do think the technology is interesting. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are games, while this definitely seems to be more of the "learning can be fun" experience. I always thought it kind of absurd when people would play Guitar Hero and bemoan the fact that it's not like playing a real guitar and then proclaim how many years they have been shredding away. Yeah, it's true it's not like playing a real guitar and it's also not like sitting alone on the edge of your bed playing the first four bars of Sweet Child of Mine over and over again for two weeks.

I think it's a pretty cool piece of tech, and I would even be interested in using something similiar to practice with, but I don't think Harmonix and Activision will be including six strings in their next batch of hardware...yet. Is this the shot in the arm the genre needs or is it just too much to ask people to really learn to play guitar for a game?

Check out the full piece on Wired.
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By dsplayer1010

Well, it's not terrible idea

LukeNuk3m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LukeNuk3m

I wish I could have seen it in action a little more. Less talk, more rock!

heavymtlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By heavymtlhead

Sitting alone on the edge of your bed playing the first four bars of Sweet Child of Mine over and over again for two weeks sounds like a page out of my life.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Wow thats actually a cool idea, we might have some kids growing up and kicking ass at guitar, not a bad idea at all if it works.

OzzerOzby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By OzzerOzby

Sitting alone on the edge of your bed playing the first four bars of Sweet Child of Mine over and over again for two weeks IS a page out of my life...

Zergvasion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Zergvasion

Props to Vinny for using the perfect thumbnail.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

"Hannah Montana may be able to get through life with a plastic guitar but you'd better believe any daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus knows how to at least form an E-Chord."
Poor Vinny. Doesn't know the difference between reality and fiction.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By Hamst3r

I might have to get this...once they expand on the library a bit to include some good rock tracks.

Oh and Vinny: From what I've read on Gizmodo, the $200 does not include a guitar but special strings that can be strung on to any guitar.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By albedos_shadow

That thumbnail is the greatest thumbnail in the history of thumbnails.

urbaninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By urbaninja

This actually looks like a good idea, but the fact that it's being released by Disney makes it somehow, less credible. Native Instruments needs to get a hold of this tech in a BIG way.

codycody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By codycody

Eliot Van Buskirk looks like hell.  He must have been up partying after his Disney Star Guitarist set the night before

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Coltonio7

Wagh! Damn you Vinny! This article totally jacked one of the pictures I already had!

You know what you did >=(
You know what you did >=(
Grandma11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grandma11

thats pretty cool, but im a gamer not a musician

he hints we're wasting our life with rhythm games at about 2:35

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Kyle

I've never been the guy complaining that Guitar Hero needs to be more realistic, but this gets me really excited. I'm inclined to want to try learning more guitar anyways, so this could be cool.

Just one problem: Disney : (

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

I saw this video last week. An excellent idea (and gateway) but needs to be rebranded. Disney needs to take its name off of it and put one of its subsidiaries on it instead. If they have none suitable, they need to create one. Regardless, I'm not buying anything with the name Disney on it unless it's for my kids.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive

thats cool, i wonder if it really can help people learn, my brother is having a tough time, despite the fact that my dad and i are both really good at it. my brother is more into drums though. 

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cikame

As someone who already uses their guitar through their pc this confuses me, i'm guessing it will come with some kind of converter i can plug the guitar into before going into the pc as a usb device?

StarwindX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By StarwindX9

I played guitar hero back in the day because it was fun. That is also why I like playing Rock Band. I have no desire to be an actual guitarist, so I honestly don't care. Speaking as someone who actually plays the drums and loves to play Rock Band, it is still about having fun. My friends don't enjoy when I give them pointers or teach them fills, they just want to wail on the drums, much like I just want to mash some buttons on my plastic guitar. Kudos for the attempt and the fine piece of tech but I think it is rather worthless in the gaming world.

marbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By marbig
ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By ElectricHaggis

Most people would give up on the game quite quickly.  Like a lot of people give up on playing the guitar quite quickly.

Splitterguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 78

#22  Edited By Splitterguy

They aren't the first ones to use technology like this...there was some kind of Guitar-Hero style game with real guitars on the PC already.  It even had different difficulty settings.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By weltal

I just started playing around with LittleBigStar. It's pretty fun, though the recognition is kinda screwy and it tends to play "phantom notes" every so often. Still, it's free and an entertaining way to play tabs.

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By MacGyver

what a weird product to be coming out of Disney. I for one still think that if you want to learn to play a guitar you should do it the old fashioned way and not use this dumb its like a game but i can learn like one or two notes piece of software but that's just me. Some people just can't accept the fact that guitar hero is a GAME and that a guitar is well.... a guitar. want a game? play guitar hero. want to be a rocker? get a guitar and book of songs and cords and go at it.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Media_Master

Neat Idea but I wont get it