Do you actually buy used games?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By McGhee

Poll Do you actually buy used games? (988 votes)

Yes, I buy most of my games used. 12%
I buy some of my games used. 49%
I never buy used games. 39%

I know there are still people that buy used games, but I kind of feel that a lot of it is more about the general feeling of wanting the freedom rather than actually playing tons of used games.

I use to buy used games back in the day, but nowadays with the internet you can always find new games at discount soon after release and sometimes right at release.

I don't know why anyone would go into Gamespot and buy their five-dollar-less new used game garbage. This is a pretty slimy practice to me, especially when you think about how little they actually give you now for those trade ins. If you want to sell your game, you'd be much better off just selling it yourself on the internet anyway.

As I said, the bigger thing is about the freedom to do so, but more so, the ability to loan and borrow games from your friends. This is something I have done more recently, but it's not not going to break the backs of game devs.

So I guess what I'm rambling my way to is that the used game and loaning games market is small time and that companies are being petty trying to limit it. You'd think outright piracy is a much bigger problem.

But maybe I'm wrong. That's why I'm throwing up a poll.

• 
bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I buy lots of used games, but it is always games that are older that I can no longer buy new.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes, I buy almost all of my games used. I'm always pretty surprised when I hear someone say that they buy all of their games completely new. I understand discounts and stuff, but they are still so expensive. I try to save money when I can and I think every penny counts, but that's just me.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By jay_ray

Sometimes, but only for legacy systems- and if I could just download Gamecube games, I would.

Same, I haven't bought a current gen game used but I do pick up the odd SNES cartridge here or there and sometimes a PSX or even PS2 game

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If the game is old and they no longer produce new copies of it then I get it used. This doesn't mean just last gen games though... I remember with the first grid, I had to buy it used because I couldn't find a new one. Plus if the used game is significantly cheaper then I will probably get it.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By rangers517

I got my first current gen platform (ps3) in 2009. Then in 2010 I had a great time catching up on all the games I had missed by buying them used. ( A lot of them were still like $20-40 new, and that would've added up fast) I caught up on Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock, and a bunch of other games. Then when the sequels to those games came out, I bought them new on day 1. Without being able to get those games used for cheap, those companies wouldn't have gotten my money for the new games.

I don't really buy used games much any more, but I do still trade in a lot of games at Best Buy. I usually get like $30-$40 for them, and then use that money to buy new games.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have in the past when games are really hard to find. One in particular I remember most is TWEWY. Without my gamestop having a used copy I might have missed out on one of my favorite games. I'm not much of a used game buyer, but I do like trading games I don't plan on playing again in to get a little cash back out of it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I like to buy new as often as possible but if finding a game new is difficult or overly expensive, I'll buy used.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By SpaceRunaway

Just for the retro stuff.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I do buy used sometimes. Almost exclusively for games you can no longer find new. An example of this was after playing Phantom Dust with a friend 2 years or so ago, he was just loving it. I'm not giving my copy up, so I found Keith a copy used. Cost me $6. My old original Xbox decided to scratch the shit out of a few games before it died. I replaced those used and saved a bunch of cash.

I imagine a lot of this used game worries comes from the Xbone policies. As much as I think killing used games is a bad idea for some of the reasons I stated above, it more comes from the worries I won't be able to play the games I bought when the Xbone service translates to the Xbone 2 service. I don't see Phantom Dust, Front Mission 4, or a lot of other games I love getting released on the Xbone or PS4. And even if they did, I already have these and would not be happy about buying them again for no reason. When my nephew comes of age, I can show him the evolution of GTA from the PS1 era, to the original Xbox ( I prefer those versions to the ps2 ones as they are less blurry), to the PS3, and to whatever comes out on the PS4. No need to buy them all over again.

Calmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Calmgamer

I do buy used. I usually go into Gamestop for a specific (usually brand new) game, but while browsing I will pick up a few extra that look interesting (these are usually used). In my case selling used games has funded the purchase of a lot of new games as well. I've been a gamer for a lot of years, a game has to be pretty incredible for me to want to keep it on my shelf after I've finished it.

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By LeYcH

I'll be completely honest.

The games I want I usually buy full price because I'll be pre-ordering it, that means that everything else I don't care about.

I hardly ever buy a game used because I don't care about anything else.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Lukeweizer

I usually only buy games used games that I have no way of getting new.

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker_the_hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally

bgregs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this poll needs an additional response option. I never buy used games, but I do sell a lot of my games. By selling or trading in games, I am able to purchase a greater number of new games. In 2012, my new game purchases from Amazon alone totaled $510.25 MSRP. In the same year, I received $327.66 in Amazon credit for trading in games, all of which was used to purchase new games.

I purchase all of my games new because I want to support the industry. And yes, I realize that this sentiment is antithetical to practice of selling games. Suffice it to say that I am conflicted. If I never sell any of my games, then the amount of new games that I can purchase will be drastically reduced. Would it really have been better for the gaming industry as a whole if I had not traded in any games but only purchased $182.59 of games last year?

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of them I buy used especially the ones that are fairly old and can't be found in stores anymore. But lately retail prices have been pretty good on new games I'm interested in and there's also Ebay for ones I don't need to own straight away.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MOAB

i'm pretty sure i've never bought a used game ever. the only used games i've had were from trading genesis games with friends.

@mcghee said:

I don't know why anyone would go into Gamespot and buy their five-dollar-less new used game garbage.

exactly. i can't justify getting a used game when there's hardly any price difference. there's also no greasy creepers mitts all over it.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By AiurFlux

Unless it's something from previous gen I buy new all the time. But I'd still like the option to buy and sell console games without any arbitrary obstructions put in place to give multi-million/billion dollar corporations more money because they do the same song and dance saying that used games are killing them. Which they aren't.

I have sold or given some of my games to friends though, and I tend to borrow all of the CoD games because I couldn't be fucked to buy them.

The only game from this gen that I HAD to buy used because I couldn't find it anywhere was Valkyria Chronicles. I hunted the thing down for a month until I finally got one, and even then I paid 65 bucks not including tax. I got ripped off on it, but I was fine with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I buy new most of the time but if a game is out of print or really difficult to obtain new I'll pick up a used copy.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I don't. My nephew does.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't usually go looking for them, only when it's a game that finding a new copy of is pretty much impossible, but there are a lot of times when i'm just looking around a store and i see a used copy of something for a really nice price. Like how i recently got P4G for less than half of how much i'd usually get it for.

Though the ironic thing here i guess is that the system where most of my used games are is the 360, most of my ps3 games are new...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#72  Edited By Seppli

Last game I bought used was Halo ODST for the Reach beta access. Spur of the moment purchase really. I voted *never* anyways, because buying games used is the extreme exception to the rule.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#73  Edited By triple07

Not anymore, I did as a kid because I didn't appreciate the fact that developers weren't getting paid for the game I just wanted to play it for as cheap as possible. Now however I would rather give my money to the people who make the games instead of the used game market.

The only time I buy used is when it is only available used because its out of print. Though with this all digital future I may not have to worry about that anymore.

marblecmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By marblecmoney

I really only buy used if I have to because of availability or financial concerns. Whenever possible I will opt to buy a new copy.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Once in a blue moon.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Interesting poll results. And the last used game I bought was for the PS2. I did sell some games at GameStop eight years ago.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Blannir

I'd say the majority of games I own are used. The value of games drops so quickly it seems silly to buy something on release for $60 when if I wait 6 months I can get it used for $20 or less. Doing a quick count of current gen games I own roughly 20% were bought new.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By supamon

I've only sold a few 360 games and rented a couple when I was a student but I have never bought a used game before.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'd say 60 percent of my xbox games are bought used. I tend not to buy most games on day1, unless I'm really excited for it. Which happens less and less nowadays.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@neoepoch said:

I just bought Devil Survivor 2 used because I couldn't get a new copy near where I lived. Not all used games are new releases. Some are games that have been out of print for a while.

Yup, I did something similar with The World Ends With You.

Used games are awesome for limited release titles (though now everything is online day one, I'll certainly consider buying hard-to-find games digitally going forward)

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#81  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Generally, no. But there have been a few occasions.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By FateOfNever

No. But what I do do is borrow and share games with my friends relatively often.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Hunter5024

I come from a pretty poor family, so if there's a significant price discrepancy I will. I think spending 5 dollars less on a used copy a couple weeks after launch is gross as hell, but I've bought used games several months/years later when there was a $15-20 difference. I also bought them a lot when I was a kid because I couldn't afford new games, and naturally I buy used stuff if its the only way to get it. Been working on my PS2 and N64 collection recently.

However the main reason I care about the used market is so I can sell. There have been several times where I was flat out broke, with no clue how I would get to the next payday, and selling 2-3 games I don't care about anymore to a local store was my solution. And if that game I'm never going to play again ends up in the hands of some kid like me who can't afford to buy new stuff, then I'm pretty okay with that.

Avatar image for thediabolicalbm
thediabolicalbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up really broke most times i got a game it had to be at a discount. So it became engrained and i pretty much buy only used games

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

Yeah, I virtually never buy used games. Even when I was predominantly a console player, I almost never brought used games. I have one used game - Red Dead Redemption. I actually regret buying that game used, because I really ended up enjoying it.

I never buy used games simply because.... well, I don't know why. I just don't.

tonyp2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By tonyp2121

Very rarely do I get a game used, usually I get it used when no new copies can be found or if getting it used is significantly cheaper than getting it new. Though what I do want is the freedom to buy a game used, or to be able to purchase a game long after its been manufactured. I'd also like to borrow a friends game or loan them a copy I have as well.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'll do almost anything to get a new copy. But for old games, that just plain isn't possible sometimes.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

Becasue of the quality that is avaible by the time i get to a game they are heavily discounted. I would say my avg purchase price for a game is $20.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted yes, even though I don't, because nobody ever considers the other side, people who sell all their games.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#91  Edited By obcdexter

Only very few. I hardly buy stuff on day one anymore, though, which mainly has to do with the fact I like to get the most out of the games I do end up buying. The time I spent on Fire Emblem and P4 Golden alone ... whew. So whenever I'm ready to move on to the next game they most likely already have dropped in price significantly - otherwise I think I might end up buying a lot more stuff from ebay.

WesleyWyndam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By WesleyWyndam

I buy new, but sell games that I will never play again.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#93  Edited By fox01313

Used to buy some console games used as when I went to places like gamestop or movie trading company, the game I happened to want was pre-owned & nothing wrong with that. With the catching up on older pc games out there, most of those are used as they just aren't in the stores anymore & usually not on steam or good old games.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#94  Edited By Wuddel

Never. But I borrow games from friends a lot.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#95  Edited By MEATBALL

I very occasionally buy used - like, once in a blue moon. I think I own two used games.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Vexxan

Not for modern consoles. The used games I buy are from a few generations back.

KoenraadP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a PS3 a couple of years ago, about half of my games are used.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's out of print and I want it yes, I don't sell my game though. Also if it's for my Super Nintendo...

Lowfyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Lowfyr

If I see the game used, I'll buy it used, only exception are PC Games and Collectors Editions ;)

Bishop113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't bought a game used on purpose since I got my PS2 from a pawn shop when I was a kid. Nowadays I don't buy used games because despite not having an income I can afford games other ways, green man gaming offers tons of sales for steam games, steam offers tons of sales and typically I can muster up enough cash to lay down for my top games each year. I purchased Metro LL for 35$ on day one for example. For console games, well I don't buy many anymore, but Amazon typically has console games marked down only weeks after they come out, the last console games I purchased were Ni no kuni, the Ico collection and Dragon's dogma, all of which I bought new. I buy new because A. That supports the retailer, developer and publisher and B. I like opening my game and smelling that fresh plastic, not some pot smoker's bedroom.