Does anyone actually play games anymore?!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TwoOneFive

seriously, what is up with all of these threads asking help in shadow complex. my goodness people.  

i never once used a strategy guide before. ever. i think it defeats the entire purpose of playing a videogame.  
 for instance, i can't imagine ruining the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment at the end of every puzzle in Trine, or Braid. 

Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Urmean

What's a video game?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64
@TwoOneFive: So people can ask their fellow Bombers for some help in a video game?
DarkFlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By DarkFlow83

People have grown too dependent on FAQs IMO.  I know I find myself turning to them now more then I used too.  Once you find some way to make it easy, it's hard to stop.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive
@JJOR64 said:
" @TwoOneFive: So people can ask their fellow Bombers for some help in a video game? "
yeah but dude, it totally ruins the whole point. when its a great game like braid, the guy who made it worked his fucking tail off to create a puzzle so clever in design that it would hurt your brain trying to figure it, but holy shit do you feel awesome once you do beat it. i can't imagine having somebody tell me how to beat and ruining the entire experience. 
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CL60

I only turn to a guide if I'm running around for literally an hour + not knowing where the hell I'm supposed to be going.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJOR64
@TwoOneFive said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" @TwoOneFive: So people can ask their fellow Bombers for some help in a video game? "
yeah but dude, it totally ruins the whole point. when its a great game like braid, the guy who made it worked his fucking tail off to create a puzzle so clever in design that it would hurt your brain trying to figure it, but holy shit do you feel awesome once you do beat it. i can't imagine having somebody tell me how to beat and ruining the entire experience.  "
If I'm stuck and have no idea what the fuck to do, I'll use a guide/ask someone.  I usually try not to but, if I have to I have to.  I would rather use a guide to help me then say "Fuck This" and quit and never play the game again.
DarkFlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarkFlow83
@TwoOneFive said:
" @JJOR64 said:
yeah but dude, it totally ruins the whole point. when its a great game like braid, the guy who made it worked his fucking tail off to create a puzzle so clever in design that it would hurt your brain trying to figure it, but holy shit do you feel awesome once you do beat it. i can't imagine having somebody tell me how to beat and ruining the entire experience.  "
Or on the other end, without a FAQ the puzzle snaps my brain and I smash my TV then kick a puppy.
HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By HAMMERCLAW

Personally, I love strategy guides, especially for games like Oblivion, GTA4, Fallout 3. It's fascinating to read how much is actually in the game, and go back and look for the stuff I missed. Helps, too, to have it to refer to, when I reach an impasse, and am stumped. I want to ENJOY the game, and not get so frustrated, the game isn't fun, anymore. Asking for advice, online, is another way to do this, if you don't have, or can't afford the guide. It's my game, and I have the right to play it any way I want to. So if somebody thinks that's lame, who cares?
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60

Although I do agree that sometimes I see people asking for help when the answer is just blatantly obvious and they could have easily figured out on there own.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By rateoforange

I actually went the other way. I used to cheat and use guides like a mofo until my late teens. Now that I'm in my mid twenties I pretty much just play all games with little to no help. If I can't get through it or it isn't fun, I just give up.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Famov

I use the heck out of guides with RPGs (checking on Gamefaqs usually) to make sure I do not miss out on characters or something, but with a Legend of Zelda game I generally refuse to use guides at all, especially as it regards puzzles. 

Usually though, I play games that rely more on the difficulty of performing a certain action (platformers, shooters) than in the difficulty of finding out what to do, so I rarely am put in a position where a guide would do me any good either way.

Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Turtlefuzz

When I play games, I'm trying to have fun. If I'm not having fun because I can't get passed a silly puzzle in an FPS or I keep getting killed on the same part, I'll open an FAQ. But if I'm playing a game that encourages you to experiment, (Trine, Portal, Braid, etc.) I don't look up FAQs, it ruins the fun for me. But it's all relative, if people like to play games to shoot people or see a story, not to solve puzzles or wander aimlessly, then they'll take the walk through. There's nothing wrong with that.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By Cube

Ok mr. holier than thou

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By RHCPfan24

OK, there are stupid questions that pop up on the threads now and then. We can all admit that. However, guides are a pretty invaluable resource in video games. I really used a thorough guide for Fallout 3, the Vault. It is an astonishing website and shows truly how much content the game has. I couldn't find every nook and cranny without it, so I find that a good use of it.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive
@DarkFlow83 said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" @JJOR64 said:
Or on the other end, without a FAQ the puzzle snaps my brain and I smash my TV then kick a puppy. "
then clearly help with beating a videogame isn't the kind of help you actually need. 
rokkis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rokkis

Cool story, bro

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

For as long as I can remember, I've always used a strategy guide here and there. It kills the reward of discovering something yourself, but I'd rather progress than stay stuck for two hours.

jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By jos1ah

meh. they spent their money and their time. who cares how they enjoy their game.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGremp

...Video games? 

I think I'm on the wrong website.  Can someone direct me to Bed, Bath & Beyond?  I can't find their website.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ

People can do whatever they want to to have fun with their game.  They purchased it with their money and they want to be entertained for it so if that requires a FAQ or a guide, so be it.  Why should that affect you in any way?
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By GunstarRed

I hit 99% on it last night...and after 3 hours of not being able to find what i cannot find...im going to use a guide. 

not everyone has all the free time in the world, its perfectly fine for people to want help, im pretty certain if gamefaqs and youtube were aroudn in teh nes days everyone would have used them then aswell.
coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By coaxmetal

yea. I know a guy. He plays games.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By aaox
@TwoOneFive:  Truth be told, dude, I don't think Blw would be too sad you skipped the puzzles so long as you've bought the game. But aside from that, I do agree with you, to an extent. Whilst FAQ's are very good at spoiling the game for you, asking for help is fine. Unless you're not asking for help and people give it to you anyway.
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I use them for a couple of reasons.  I like to run through a game once w/o a guide, just to get the story. Then I'll play through it again with the guide to get all the widgets/areas I missed.  I also find myself going to a guide when I get stuck for a long time on a particular part of the game. To me, I'd rather enjoy a game than be constantly frustrated by it.  I'll give it an honest go for a while, but if my skills or brain power is lacking, I'll look for a helping hand.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Alex_V

One point to add. I think many games are created now in the full knowledge that their players will use guides. The challenge to designers is to make their games challenging and interesting whether a guide is used or not.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GunnBjorn

When i'm stuck for a while (let's say 1 to 2 hours) i turn to a walkthrough and only seek up that part of the game where i'm stuck. 
I play games to enjoy them, not to be frustrated (for long).
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By c1337us

Walkthroughs are the last resort for me. I would prefer to solve things on my own for sure and mostly thats the case. But I also like to beat the game and experience everything in the games I pay for. So sometimes when I have been running around for a long, long time and cannot see an end to how to get through it I will resort.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Damian

Like some people said, I only use guides in games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion. When I know I'm not gonna find something on my own I have no shame in asking a little help from the beautifully obsessed. The only other case I can think of are all the stars in Braid. No way was I gonna ruin solving the puzzle-pieces on my own. But I would never have found those stars on my own either ... never! So the guide helped me feel I got my total money's worth. 

Also some people just ask for help 'cause they're bored. I see lots of threads on gaming forums where someone asks how to do something, then they answer their own question two posts later.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i have nothing more to add than what people already said : 

1) i try to figure shit out on my own. if i tried everything and have no goddamn idea where to go and what to do and i try for hours and it just aint happening, all i can do is get somebody's guidence 
2) sometimes some obstacles are really really not fun, those that u which never existed. so when u get someone's help and pass them u can try to erase them from your memory and move on. i'd rather play the game than say "fuck it" 
3) i *have* been more dependant on guides more than before, i should try on my own more.. its true

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By VWGTI
@CL60 said:
" I only turn to a guide if I'm running around for literally an hour + not knowing where the hell I'm supposed to be going. "
I agree with CL60.

Last night I was gathering up the last of the shards in Infamous and I spent about hours running around town trying to find the last three. I got down to one left and ran around for about 45 minutes before I decided to check an FAQ. I'm glad I did, because the one I was missing was in a spot I probably never would have looked. It saved me a few hours of frustration.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By penguindust

I have no problem using guides.  I almost always only use them in RPGs but, if necessary I'd flip one open if I got super stuck and couldn't progress any further in any other type of game.  For me, games are about having fun.  When they stop being fun, I'm willing to fudge the rules. As long as I feel the challenge a game presents is achievable, then I'll try and solve it myself, but when that challenge feels insurmountable  and an impediment  to my fun, "GameFAQs" here I come.   I am well beyond the point in my life where frustration is an opportunity to test my resolve.  I don't get any pleasure out of playing the same level 30 times to get it right.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By brukaoru

As someone who is generally awful at puzzle games, I will use a walk-through to go through a game I find impossible otherwise (such as Portal) or not get through it at all. I agree that there is little satisfaction in not solving the puzzle myself, but if I want to experience the plot behind the game, I won't hesitate to use a guide. Otherwise, I would never beat it.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dbz1995
@TwoOneFive said:
" seriously, what is up with all of these threads asking help in shadow complex. my goodness people.   i never once used a strategy guide before. ever. i think it defeats the entire purpose of playing a videogame.   for instance, i can't imagine ruining the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment at the end of every puzzle in Trine, or Braid.  "
I dont understand Shadow Complex, and I will never understand about Braid-but there are some games which you arent meant to think about which you may want to know how to carry on. Puzzle games should never really be FAQed. But games like shooters where it requires skill to actually complete the game are games that may have that little push from FAQs.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I use FAQ's and Strategy Guides all the time, the only thing I'm shaky on are cheat codes (which are much less common than they used to be). I don't really find continued attempts at solving a puzzle fun, so I find myself just using the guide to get me through that part. 

I think the whole point of playing games is to have fun, and if you're not having fun then you're either playing ET or you're stuck.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By MKHavoc

Well they spent money on the game so I'm sure they'd like to see the end of it.  If they want to take some of the challenge out of the game then I think that's fine.  Just like when people pay for cheats in some EA games.  They may not have the time to finish the game normally or they might just have more fun that way. 

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_A_Drain
@JJOR64 said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
" @JJOR64 said:
If I'm stuck and have no idea what the fuck to do, I'll use a guide/ask someone.  I usually try not to but, if I have to I have to.  I would rather use a guide to help me then say "Fuck This" and quit and never play the game again. "

This. Some people would much rather admit that the puzzle has defeated them and move the fuck on than never see the rest of the game because they get frustrated and quit. 

Honestly, who the hell has the time to spend hours in one fucking puzzle? You also have to factor in how easy most modern games are, and that anyone under the age of 20 is going to be used to a very low level of difficulty, it's not all that surprising that people are stuck on Shadow Complex, especially when some of it's levels are so oddly (I say oddly because saying badly is likely to get me lynch mobbed, even though badly is in fact my opinion) designed, sometimes it's easy to get stuck simply because the way into the next room is hidden behind a foreground girder, or you placed your grenade a few millimetres out of space and now assume the grenade didn't work and start looking elsewhere for exits. 

I prefer to get as much as I can out of a game, but unless it's actually a puzzle game, I do not personally get the most out of something by repeating a small section of the game 100+ times. If a puzzle stumps me for more than 15 minutes, I look at a guide or ask for help, I don't have the fucking time to piss about, especially when 90% of the time the answer is obvious, but my timing or positioning was a little off. 

I have a lot of uni work to do normally (obviously it's summer right now) and I also play a ton of games, I honestly can say i'm fine with not pissing about on the same puzzle for hours. It's fine if you want to, but it doesn't make anybody that needs to ask for help any less of a gamer, it just makes them impatient.
dancingphlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By dancingphlower

I always beat games on my own. Then, I'll use an FAQ to  help me get achievements if I can't figure out how to get them.