EA Sinks Low With Skate 2 DLC

DigitalHector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By DigitalHector

Now that the game had been released, we can all skate around New San Van to our hearts content.  But what's this?  There is some DLC available.  It is a pack called Time is Money, and it is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.

For only 400 MS Points ($5 USD), you can unlock every single thing in the game.  Every skatepark, every skater, and every piece of gear that you would normally unlock by actually playing the story and earning achievements.  The best part though is in the description of the DLC pack: "If you are busy, or just plain lazy" 

If you buy this, where is the incentive to actually play through the story?  If you already have anything, why bother? The sad part is I know people will drop the money on this.  I mean, I don't actually know anyone who would, but you know people are going to buy it.

DigitalHector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DigitalHector

Now that the game had been released, we can all skate around New San Van to our hearts content.  But what's this?  There is some DLC available.  It is a pack called Time is Money, and it is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.

For only 400 MS Points ($5 USD), you can unlock every single thing in the game.  Every skatepark, every skater, and every piece of gear that you would normally unlock by actually playing the story and earning achievements.  The best part though is in the description of the DLC pack: "If you are busy, or just plain lazy" 

If you buy this, where is the incentive to actually play through the story?  If you already have anything, why bother? The sad part is I know people will drop the money on this.  I mean, I don't actually know anyone who would, but you know people are going to buy it.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By maxszy

Getting Skate 2 today, can't wait! But this is pathetic, I will be avoiding this with a very long stick.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By weltal

Hasn't this been done for games before? I can't think of any instances but I remember the crew and others speaking of it.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jayge_

What's wrong with it? It's giving people who just want to play with everything the ability to play with everything, and those who want the challenge can still just play through normally.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#5  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'm with Jayge on this one.  It's like a cheat code, except you have to pay.  The ones who should be balking at this are the ones who are getting charged - i.e., the ones who don't plan to play through or collect every little detail.  If anything, they should be upset it isn't an in-game cheat.  But as it is, EA's not holding back any portion of the game, just making it more accessible.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RHCPfan24

Ah, that is just EA at their finest. Of course, I think this should just be a cheat code, and paying for it is pretty despicable. I see a little bit of Jayge's argument, but the mere fact this exists for the price is pathetic.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By EvilTwin

I'll take this over day one DLC for costumes and songs and other useless junk any day.  Not that I'd use it, but it seems really similar to old cheat codes to me.  So, why not?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Rowr

Should be an ingame cheat.

Is bullshit.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

What the fuck?  This should be done by pressing LT, RT, RB, LB, B, B, X, Y, A, Start, not fucking paying money

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gizmo

This is INCREDIBLE, and yes, as Smug said, what happened to a good old fashioned cheat code? GH:WT has a "unlock all songs" cheat.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EvilTwin

Besides, EA is making good games now, and not all of them are doing well enough for EA to continue making good games.  This kind of DLC might be a necessary evil.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shadows_kill

i remember you could buy perfect stats in tiger woods...seems some games do this even tho it should be a code...

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Captain_Fookup

I miss the days of the Gameshark.

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Teh_Eel
EvilTwin said:
"Besides, EA is making good games now, and not all of them are doing well enough for EA to continue making good games.  This kind of DLC might be a necessary evil."
No, just no. The only great game that EA made last year was Deadspace the rest was flawed or average. Mirrors Edge was average and flawed, Red Alert 3 average and rushed (also nothing new). The only other good thing EA has done recently is EA partners programme, apart from that there the same old EA and charging to cheat is very low.
Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Captain_Fookup
Teh_Eel said:
"EvilTwin said:
"Besides, EA is making good games now, and not all of them are doing well enough for EA to continue making good games.  This kind of DLC might be a necessary evil."
No, just no. The only great game that EA made in the last decade was Deadspace the rest was flawed or average.

fixed.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Snail

There is something like this for NFS: Undercover. It is fucking dumb, I hate EA so much.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hexpane

EA has been doing this for a while now.  It's a copy cat move, Sony was doing this w/ Everquest...selling in game plat/items.. such a fucking cheese move.

I suspect it won't be long before EA charges money if you want to play Franchise mode single player in madden

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Metasin

To those complaining about paying to cheat, did any of you BUY a Game Genie back in the day? Or books\magazines with cheat codes? Just curious.

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Teh_Eel
Metasin said:
"To those complaining about paying to cheat, did any of you BUY a Game Genie back in the day? Or books\magazines with cheat codes? Just curious."
Nope, the only cheat code books I got was when I used to buy the offical playstation magazine and it came free.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_

You all act like the players are somehow entitled to developer's mistakes.

Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By vibratingdonkey
Jayge said:
"What's wrong with it? It's giving people who just want to play with everything the ability to play with everything, and those who want the challenge can still just play through normally."
The problem is this is a lie. EA has been doing this since forever, so it's not like it's an outrageous shock or anything. But it is very poor form indeed.
vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vibratingdonkey
Teh_Eel said:
"EvilTwin said:
No, just no. The only great game that EA made last year was Deadspace the rest was flawed or average. Mirrors Edge was average and flawed, Red Alert 3 average and rushed (also nothing new). The only other good thing EA has done recently is EA partners programme, apart from that there the same old EA and charging to cheat is very low."
Never mind FIFA 09, NHL 09, Battlefield: Bad Company and Burnout Paradise. Red Alert 3 received mostly favorable reviews. Mirror's Edge was a daring leap that didn't fully work out, but it's a good thing they greenlight projects like this no? New, creative IP's? Dead Space did well. Then there was that Spore thing, I sort of hated it, but whatever, apparently people thought it was good. EA picked up Brütal Legend, a significant creative risk, they say. So yeah, EA Partners is good. And they cancelled Tiberium on the account of being a bit shit.

Basically just read up on what this Riccotiealcileo dude has been saying.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#23  Edited By LordAndrew
Captain_Fookup said:
"Teh_Eel said:
"EvilTwin said:
No, just no. The only great game that EA made in the last decade was Deadspace the rest was flawed or average.
fixed."
Every time someone "fixes" a quote, a part of me dies. Voice your opinion without having to change someone elses.
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#24  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
Jayge said:
"What's wrong with it? It's giving people who just want to play with everything the ability to play with everything, and those who want the challenge can still just play through normally."
I agree with this 100%. Just don't buy it if you don't like the idea and just leave it at that.
DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DXSSI

I disagree; this is an excellent idea by EA, and more power to them.  It is an optional download.  It does not hurt your experience if you do not buy it, unlike some developers who leave locked content on the disc until you pony up more $$$, or add levels that everyone but you is playing.

Everybody spends money to save time and effort, whether it's going out to eat at a restaurant at times, or getting a professional oil change on your car instead of learning how to do it yourself.  If getting all the unlockables in a video game is worth $5 to you, why not?  People have been spending money on cheating devices for years, and as long as this doesn't break the play experience for others (it doesn't sound like it does) then why care?

vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vibratingdonkey
DXSSI said:
"I disagree; this is an excellent idea by EA, and more power to them.  It is an optional download.  It does not hurt your experience if you do not buy it, unlike some developers who leave locked content on the disc until you pony up more $$$, or add levels that everyone but you is playing.

Everybody spends money to save time and effort, whether it's going out to eat at a restaurant at times, or getting a professional oil change on your car instead of learning how to do it yourself.  If getting all the unlockables in a video game is worth $5 to you, why not?  People have been spending money on cheating devices for years, and as long as this doesn't break the play experience for others (it doesn't sound like it does) then why care?"
It's true that it doesn't really detract from the experience most people would have, but they're basically charging you for game functionality. Attempting to justify it by saying EA is giving people an option or whatever is just inane.

In other news, EA reportedly is charging for game functionality with Skate 2.

Eurogamer said:
The editing tools included with the package are basic, and the decision to make advanced camera controls and filters etc. a downloadable extra (for 600 MSP) is a contentious one.

If this is what it sounds like, EA truly has sunk to a new low with Skate 2 DLC.
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By TomA

Man that's dumb,someone should just kick John Ricatello in the nuts over and over again until he's unconscious.