Ever played a game and disliked/hated it then...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

after your initial thought, tried again and loved, or liked the game? I've done that so many times. I won't name the games 'cause I'm asking you if you have, and there are too many games for me to name.
Rongaryen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Rongaryen

I have that experience with Mass Effect and Resident Evil 4, just to name a couple.

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lucifer

Uncharted 2, I had played so much MGS4 i was kinda ticked of that the game was so linear in it's style of play, second time though, 
I fucking loved it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

I think one of the first times that it's ever happened to me was when I originally went through Uncharted: Drakes Fortune. Then, after I went through it again, I loved, so I went through it again and again until the second came. Problem is, when I got the second game, I had just beaten Crysis for the first time, and that being one of my favorite games, it was hard to say Uncharted 2 could contend with it, now after I got the platinum for the game, it's still just pretty good (though it was originally bleh). Most recently, like today ha ha, God of War 3 after I beat it on hard. It's weird, I didn't even know I was at the end when I beat it 'cause I thought I had to kill Cronos.... 0.0
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Gta 4 and assassin's creed 2.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss
Dead Rising took five or six attempts over 5 years for me to finally "get it".
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael
  • Tales of Eternia. Hated it until I got the option for complete manual control. Thought it was meh until I reached the first elemental spirit boss. Thought it was good, but nothing special until I reached the halfway point. From there, I absolutely loved it -- in fact, it became my very favorite JRPG, and has remained that to this day.
  • Ninja Gaiden Black. A couple of years ago, I found it practically unplayable due to the camera. I decided to give it a second chance a month or so back, had very little trouble with the camera, and really enjoyed it. Easily one of the best 3D beat 'em ups out there.
  • Devil May Cry. Same deal as with Ninja Gaiden. Couldn't stand it back when I first tried it due to the camera, gave it a second chance recently, and loved it.
Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as it now pains me to say, Halo 3... God what was I thinking back then?

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By RichardLOlson

Far Cry 2

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By JJOR64
Lost Kingdoms.  One of the first Gamecube games I rented and I didn't like.  Played it a few years later and enjoyed it.
jblp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jblp

Deus Ex. When I first gave it a try it just did not seem like a game for me. One year later I loved it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

Final Fantasy VI and Earthbound. I realize the beatings that my past self deserves for such hatred, and if I wouldn't somehow be affected by it, then I'd join you in beating the crap out of myself.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By FinalDasa

Mass Effect and Fallout 3 
Took me forever to get into them and multiple tries until I finally fell in love with them.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By FreakAche

The first time I played Oblivion, I was really disappointed and considered it a huge step down from Morrowind. Later I realized that it was an amazing game in it's own right.

(Morrowind is still better, just for the record.)

raphaa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By raphaa00
@Lucifer: MGS4 is quite linear too.

I played the demo of Mirror's Edge and it was love at first sight. Then I buyed it, and hated every piece of that game at the point it causes me nausea playing (too shiny and shaky).

After a while, I've eventually picked  it up again, with a little more patience. It surprised me a lot and gave me rewards that I've never before enjoyed in another video-game.
Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Getz

I would say Elder Scrolls Arena. I couldn't even get out of the first dungeon the first few times I played it, which killed all motivation to keep playing it.  

Also, X3: Reunion. Once you get into it, the game is fucking deep. Painfully long learning curve though.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bearshamanbro

Tekken 6. Haven't been that dissapointed in a new game in a while, nearly turned me off from the series. Decided to give it a second chance on PSP and now I play it nearly every day.

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LibraryDues

This is always how the Elder Scrolls games work for me (same with Fallout 3, actually).  I buy them, get bored after a few hours, then shelve them for about a year.  I eventually pick them up again with a feeling of "hey, you spent money on it" and then they utterly consume my life.  I fully expect to be neck deep in New Vegas around fall of 2011.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Agent47CSim2 said:
" As much as it now pains me to say, Halo 3... God what was I thinking back then? "
Same here. I played Halo 3 both single and multiplayer and hated it. Just recently I bought ODST and loved it. Its not the same game, but similar enough. Same multiplayer mode. I've learnt to not judge an entire franchise from a single game playthrough.
dablemont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By dablemont

Yes I have. Fallout 3. The first time I got the game, I couldn't get used with the controls schemes and I didn't know about VATS. To me, it was just a terrible shooter. Then a year or so later, I picked it up again (not even sure why... lol ) and took the time to learn the game. Found out about VATS and suddenly the game was amazing in my eyes. I loved the game's atmosphere and running around the map listening to the oldies' songs... 
Will definitely pick up Vegas in october...  XD

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Synthballs

Borderlands. I couldn't get into it. Then some better loot started coming and yeah.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Belonpopo

oblivion.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Agent47CSim2 said:
" As much as it now pains me to say, Halo 3... God what was I thinking back then? "
I learned to hate Halo 3 after I finished it on Legendary.
Aut0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aut0n

Street Fighter. I hated it along with most fighting games. But recently I gave it another try and now it's one of my favorite games out there.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead

Oblivion was like that for me. But after deciding to fuck the main story and just go wandering, I had a lot of fun and put in days worth of gameplay.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LackLuster

Mass Effect and Shadowrun

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RandomHero666

Mass Effect, I rented it just after it came out and hated it. 
Bought it about a year ago and love it ^^

thaijedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thaijedi
@LackLuster: You ended up liking Shadowrun?

Oblivion, I played 2 hours of it and man I was sooo bored with closing those stupid portals. So I wandered off and found more fun in that than the actual story. I got about 40% trough the story but played it for 50 hours on sidequests alone! It was awesome!
kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By kingclaw

Manhunt

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LackLuster
@thaijedi. Yeah I don't know at some point I just found a class I liked and started really enjoying it while it lasted
Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Chemin

The recent one is Civilization IV. Could never get into it. Bought Civilization V on release because it looked like it would be easier to grasp. Went back and played Civ4 and realized that it is much deeper game, and an awesome one at that. I still play Civ5 more often, because I actually like it better, but man what a turn-over.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sfighter21

Age of Empires II is the game that got me interested in strategy games.  I used to think those games were a waste of time and money!  That changed after a weekend with the game at my cuz's house.  Now, here I am waiting for money so I can go buy Civ. V...ah, memories.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Really responded poorly to the first Mass Effect. Right before the sequel was released, I played through the first one again. Loved it. Don't know, something just clicked that second time. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By meteora

Oh jeez, I don't think I've ever have one... 

I guess the closest one is Gears of War 2 when I started getting better at the game and the controls, though I still remained piss ass noobish.

Jhriad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jhriad

Final Fantasy 6.  I actually didn't dislike it  I just couldn't tell that these stairs that you needed to go down in Figaro Castle were stairs so I spent forever trying to figure out where I needed to go and finally just said screw it and returned the game.  Ended up giving it another try a couple months later and to this day it remains one of my favorite RPGs.

On the opposite side, meaning something I initially really liked and then after playing it hated it, would be Mirror's Edge.  The aesthetic to the game is amazing and I thought the demo showed a ton of potential and some fun parkour style action.  The actual game was just a massive disappointment.  Terrible combat, occasionally confusing level design, and the fact that I almost never just got a chance to explore levels and try to figure out the path through without 20 guys firing at me and helicopers buzzing by with machine guns.  I think I'd dig the time trials but I can't be bothered to take the game off the shelf because I have such intense feelings of distaste from the initial playthrough.