Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matt
No Caption Provided

Extra-Life

It’s that time of year again and that means Extra-Life is back! For those of you that may not know, Extra-Life is an annual gaming event where people play games for 24 hours to raise money for children’s hospitals. This year Extra-Life will be happening on October 25th.

Last year we did amazingly well. The Giant Bomb team raised $122,680 and ranked 3rd of 3,800 teams. Keeping that in mind I’ve set the team goal to $175,000 for 2014. It’s a lot of money but we can do it for the kids!

Getting Involved

I’ve been participated in Extra-Life for 5 years now and I can’t recommend it enough. Let’s face it, most of us are playing video games for an inordinate amount of time anyway. It may as well be for a good cause. AND IT’S SO EASY TO JOIN! Go to www.extra-life.org, sign up and join the Giant Bomb team. You can join the team during the sign up process or by going to the team page and hitting join www.extra-life.org/team/giantbomb.

How do I get people to give me money for the kids?

This is the hardest part but also the most rewarding. Social media is your best friend. Tweet it, tumbl it and facebook share while you’re at it. Live streams are also a great way of getting donations. Give your stream some production value. Create banners with your donation link, try and raffle off any spare game codes you may of come across. Try creating a theme for your stream. Maybe you’re going to play all of the Halo games because you’re crazy. Or maybe you’re going to play 24 hours of Dota 2 because you like good video games.

I'm a busy person with a job, kids and a crippling drug addiction. I don't have time to play!

No worries friend you can still help! Check out the roster of team Giant Bomb and donate to someone you like the look of.

I’ve read your words, I’ve signed up and joined the Giant Bomb team. What now?

This most important part of Extra-Life is the build up to October 25th. Use all that time to spread the word and get as many donations as possible. Once you’ve signed up post the link to your donation page and any live streams you may be doing in this thread. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask! This really is a community effort and we need as many people as possible to hit the team goal.

FAQ

Q: What if I can’t commit to that date or the entire time?

A: The idea and spirit of Extra Life is that everyone pulls together at the same time, but we know that’s not going to be possible for everyone. Don’t let a commitment on the 25th stop you from joining. Just do what you can and make up the game time later. What matters most is the time you put in BEFORE the event to raise money for these kids.

Q: What if I can’t finish the full 24 hours due to commitments or exhaustion?

A: If you won’t be able to finish the whole thing, you can make up the remaining hours later. It’s all on the honor system and what really matters is that we’re all raising money for a great cause. Your sponsors should know they are supporting the cause whether you crash on hour 18 or not.

Q: How is the money collected? Where does it go?

A: Credit card donations may be made on a participant's fundraising page. Cash and check donations will be collected by participants and submitted to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. All funds will be disbursed directly to the hospital selected during registration.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

PARTY HARD

for the kids

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

I'm going to play Hearthstone for 24 hours

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Wait, how easy is it to join?

I loved watching this last year, so I'm definitely down for more. If circumstances line up correctly I might consider giving it a shot myself; but regardless I'll definitely be involved on the day watching, chatting, and donating FOR THE KIDS. Thanks for arranging the whole shabang again Matt, you do incredible work with these events and I feel pretty comfortable saying that the GB community as a whole really appreciates all the effort you put in.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

I'm into everything going on here. You have my tweets!

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By datarez

I'm already signed up and in the group from last year. Planning on doing it bigger and better this year.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@datarez: Same here. I have cash donation bins placed around my city at various businesses. All cash in the bin is donated in the businesses name.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Will brad do a solo run for 25 hours again? He should.

Ball shocking is optional!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By FLStyle

Good luck to all involved!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator

My kid is sick need heals pls

No Caption Provided

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By fattony12000

Here we go again...

Also, it looks like I'm just auto enrolled into the team again somehow? I got an error message when I clicked "Join", but then on my profile it shows that I'm in the team anyway!

No matter.

Let's do this shit.

I'm thinking that I should maybe possibly do a Road To Extra Life 2014 Thing, actually do some streaming and hyping before the big day arrives. Maybe I should finish OverBlood 222222uuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrggggggghjssksdlldldlddd#564#

Shouts to @branthog for being totally dope last year, by the way!

@matt said:

Or maybe you’re going to play 24 hours of Dota 2 because you like good video games.

/flagged

I posted this thread on page 342 of the Giant Bomb thread on NeoGAF.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wikitoups

FUUUUUUUU..... OK I might do this again!!!

Edit: who donated $253 already???

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This will be my first time doing this. Be gentle.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so 3 questions

1. how much do we have to donate to get Brad to stream 24 hours of dota?

2. how much to make that LOL?

3. how mush to not play any dota at all?

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Got a Playstation Camera for my PS4 about a month ago. Haven't done any streaming on it yet, but the main reason I got it in the first place was to participate in Extra Life this year all of the years. Still kind of up in the air on what to play though, maybe some backlog games (shorter ones like Child of Light, maybe make a theme where if I complete a game on my backlog, I'll donate towards another person's goal or something) and definitely some Destiny since it will still be fairly new.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

Oh my god it's that time of year again already?

I'm thinking I'll stick with the GB team and play board games with some local friends of mine since that's what they did last year! :D

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

As much as I'd love to try a full 24-hour race by myself for my charity stream, I've already discovered my racing wheel won't be able to handle that much use in one stint without overheating. Still, I can find a way to stream for 24 hours straight with a combination of other games, so I'm totally in for this.

For the children!

Pocky4Th3Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joined the group, hope I can do a 24 hour stream.

meatsofevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By meatsofevil

I've been thinking of joining in and streaming for a while now, and finally decided to sign up!

@matt said:

Once you’ve signed up post the link to your donation page and any live streams you may be doing in this thread.

Well, okay then! Here's my donation page, and my Twitch stream!

I'll try to stream some stuff here and there leading up to the event, mostly because I'm fairly new to streaming stuff. For the marathon I'll probably be doing a grab bag from my steam list, working through some games I haven't taken the time to finish, and I'll definitely throw in some Supercade nonsense in there, Windjammers anyone?. It should be tons of fun and I'm glad to be helping out this year!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21 chaser324  Moderator  Online
Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm in this year. I've never streamed before but since the PS4 and XBO make it so easy to do this seems like a good way to start. Now just to pick out some games and sucker my friends into hanging out in my basement for the day. Here's my donation link and my Twitch page.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm (still) in! This snuck up on me, even though I've been thinking about it nearly all year. Hopefully this time around I won't be sick, though that didn't stop me from doing the full 25 last year. If my sick ass could do it, your relatively healthy ass can!

I still have no idea what I'll do- I might have to bump up my Internet plan to make streaming a little smoother than last time. If any Detroit Duders are up for hanging out and playing dumb video games, let me know! I do have all these PS4 controllers begging to be used...

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#25 Marino  Staff

@matt:

I look forward to another year of getting mail from Saskatchewan.

Also, this is on the front page now.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AthleticShark

I would be happy to help, but no way can I do it for a full 24 hours, which is a shame. I was ready to sign up and do my part for a few hours, but I guess I can't. This sucks.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellbound: You could still help promote donations to a fellow duder who would be contributing to the hospital you would have played for.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By HellknightLeon
@adoggz said:

so 3 questions

1. how much do we have to donate to get Brad to stream 24 hours of dota?

2. how much to make that LOL?

3. how mush to not play any dota at all?

I hate and love everything you are asking.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm ready to do this again! So much fun last year!

JordanaRama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, 24 hours of Patrick playing 1001 spikes, then?

I want to watch him crumble before my very eyes.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

You know what would be a terrible idea that I'm totally down for? Playing 24 hours straight of Final Fantasy XIV for the kids. I have four days of vacation from work that I can still take so like I might do this whole thing this year. We will see.

zolloz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By zolloz89

Joined up as soon as we were able. I'm about to set up a second info table at the hospital too! Can't wait.

donation

twitch

Are we going to be using www.explosiveruns.com again?

edit: hitbox

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AttackedCamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I really enjoyed watching the community and donating last year so I thought I would give it a go this year. I plan on playing a bunch of games on PlayStation 2. Leaning towards playing a bunch of TimeSplitters 2 at the moment. I hope to rope in some friends for some multiplayer fun as well. I have a couple of other good games in mind but I also plan on playing some garbage for your amusement such as Trigger man and Bad Boys: Miami Takedown. Can't wait!

Donation page / My Twitch page

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd consider doing this, sounds fun.

Also I wonder if GB is doing a 24-48 hour stream again? I really hope so as it was pretty great last time.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Corevi

I'm in. I'll either be doing 24 hours of Marvel Heroes or if I can get a capture device by then 24 hours of Platinum Games (on PS3).

Donation Page

Twitch Page

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Tried doing this in both 2012 and 2013, but never got around to it. This year will be different! I've also joined the Giant Bomb team, hoping to help out.

I'll probably be doing a playthrough of Bully, and then perhaps some multiplayer games with friends. Probably Dota 2.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mrcraggle

Already good to go this year and signed up early. I haven't participated in a couple of years but I now have a much better computer so I'm able to stream out and play and my internet is also a lot faster now that my upload speed is around 12 Mbps. I haven't decided on what I'll do yet but it can't go as poorly as my attempt in 2011 where I tried to play a BF game and the streaming framerate was 1fps although the game ran fine :/

For now, here's my donation page as well as my Twitch channel where I'll be streaming from even though I don't really use it any other time. Expect both to be updated more in the not too distant future.

DrPeatore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canada only has 3 hospitals supported via this charity and one of them is in my town. I feel like I have to do this now.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Oh man awesome. Can't wait to donate and watch some awesome gaming.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#42 riostarwind  Moderator

Well from last year the one thing I'm definitely going to do is test every game before I decide to try to stream it. Anyway my extra life page is here and my twitch stream is here. I'm not sure if I'm going to take the lazy approach by streaming games that came out in Sept/Oct or do a lot of prep work to set up a gaming across a generation type of setting. So I would play a game or two from each console going from NES to GCN. I'll post again when I have a full schedule on my twitch page.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drpeatore: There are also some fellow duders playing for Canadian hospitals. I am for Sick Kids in Toronto.

DrPeatore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DrPeatore

@dwigtk: I'm actually an Idiot and it's 3 Hospitals for Ontario, not all of Canada.

Either way I think I'm going to put an honest effort into doing this.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This could be fun to try-out. Hopefully PS4 gets some more games before the 25th though, because the current category might not keep me entertained for 24 hours straight...but I guess I could just try playing Resogun the whole time!

PC would be fun to dig up some old games for, that I've been meaning to play for ages now.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drpeatore: If you need any help getting setup send me a PM, I would be happy to help out.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Are there no UK based hospitals this year? There used to be, but all I see on the site are US and Canadian hospitals. I know sick kids are in a shitty situation wherever they are, but I'd like to be able to support a hospital a little closer to home.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattyftm said:

Are there no UK based hospitals this year? There used to be, but all I see on the site are US and Canadian hospitals. I know sick kids are in a shitty situation wherever they are, but I'd like to be able to support a hospital a little closer to home.

I haven't seen any UK based hospitals listed on Extra Life these past three years, I don't think. Certainly not this year or last.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#50 FinalDasa  Moderator

@sweep said:

My kid is sick need heals pls

No Caption Provided

I don't know how to tell you this...that kid is perfectly healthy.

Excited for Extra Life, last year was spectacular.