Games with predominantly British voice-acting?

• 68 results
emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

As I continued to make my way through the humongous Giant Bomb backlog, I reached the Xenoblade Chronicles quick look, where Brad and Patrick made a point of saying that's it is not often to come across an English (or localized) game that doesn't have typical American voice-acting. This got me thinking about the games I've been playing lately, and how many of them do predominantly feature American accents. Albeit, it makes sense for Infamous: Second Son or The Walking Dead to have American accents given the setting, but off the top of my head I still struggle to name very many games that represent my own (Scottish) accent or the many varieties on what you could call a "British" accent.

So I put the question to you duders: What games can you think of that only (or predominately) feature British voice acting?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Skyrim?

exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dragon Quest VIII.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By flameboy84

The Fable series.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Play Dragon Age 2, Hawke talks in a British accent.

PrimalHorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PrimalHorse

James Bond games?

http://www.giantbomb.com/british-accent/3015-2835/games/

Red Alert Have some great British dudes.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dragon Age and most other medieval fantasy games.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz

Souls games have british regional accents up the wazoo. Some of the best voice acting in games as well. It's a stand out feature.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Getaway games.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@exfate said:

Dragon Quest VIII.

This is true. Several JRPGs have this because they were localized for Europe first.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Xenoblade Chronicles. And Ni No Kuni. Moreso on the former.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's funny that humans are British but elves are American.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

@humanity said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

It's funny that humans are British but elves are American.

Elves were retconned to be Welsh (and maybe a bit of Irish?) in Dragon Age II. Though that the dwarves are American is rather peculiar, but ironically enough it's actually a little refreshing from the constant Scottish accents they're fitted with.

Hogs of War is a game that was pretty much single-handedly voiced by Rik Mayall. Though as already mentioned British accents are typically most prominent in medieval fantasy games more than anything.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Anything Operation Rainfall.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yummylee

@jazz_bcaz said:

Souls games have british regional accents up the wazoo. Some of the best voice acting in games as well. It's a stand out feature.

Oh, most definitely. It's actually rather impressive at how much of a variety of British & Irish accents can be heard throughout those games.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conkers bad fur day.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#17  Edited By BeachThunder

Ether One.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's actually become cheaper to get voice actors from other countries now it seems like (especially Canada apparently although this isn't exclusive to games). I think also a lot of games only released in Asia and Europe have predominantly "british" voice acting, but I am very much assuming that based on very little experience. I assume I am completely wrong.

These days, though, I have actually noticed less American voice acting- mainly because they use non Americans to play Americans and it's incredibly bad when it happens. It's like when they had Americans do voice work for poorly translated Japanese games only it's people who are pretending to be American and doing it very poorly. As if I won't notice.

Maybe this is only present in Ubisoft games since so many have been coming out recently like this. You could argue that something like Skyrim is not intended to be "American" so I assume they at least somewhat cast based on their needs for more Nordic sounding actors. When I think of something like Saint's Row it's very much American (even with the voices that aren't American).

These days it's all over the map. That's the conclusion I've come to.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@exfate said:

Dragon Quest VIII.

This is true. Several JRPGs have this because they were localized for Europe first.

The Last Story is another one.

jjd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was surprised to find out Peter Serafinowicz played Pate in DS2. I agree on the quality of the acting. The direction is really good; lots of the characters sound tired/melancholy and it definitely adds to the atmosphere.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was it just that Project Rainfall games got a specifically European localization first, and then NoA couldn't be bothered to re-localize them for America, so that's why we got a British voice track? That was what I heard.

As a Canadian, I'm unclear on this: is it more common for most games to just use the American English voice track internationally for the "English" option, or if a game gets localized to Europe, does it usually get a British English voice track? I've pretty much never played any PAL versions of games, so I have no idea. Though I don't know why you'd know either, being on the moon and all.

m4r71n2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thomas was alone and little big planet have English narrators. Tomb raider has an obviously English main character.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@video_game_king said:

Was it just that Project Rainfall games got a specifically European localization first, and then NoA couldn't be bothered to re-localize them for America, so that's why we got a British voice track? That was what I heard.

As a Canadian, I'm unclear on this: is it more common for most games to just use the American English voice track internationally for the "English" option, or if a game gets localized to Europe, does it usually get a British English voice track? I've pretty much never played any PAL versions of games, so I have no idea. Though I don't know why you'd know either, being on the moon and all.

I couldn't think of a single example of a game that was localised twice for English. There might be one, but I don't know why they'd do it. Other than Fable and Dark Souls I don't know of many games with majority 'British' voice acting. Even in a lot of games the supposed 'British' characters sound like they were voiced by Americans who have only ever watched other Americans do 'British' accents.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Final Fantasy XII uses different commonwealth accents for characters from different regions.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Uh...Inazuma Eleven for the DS? Not sure if the 3ds version has the same dub.

pieman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pieman32

Alice the Madness Returns.

aerobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killing Floor.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@bisonhero said:

@video_game_king said:

I couldn't think of a single example of a game that was localised twice for English. There might be one, but I don't know why they'd do it. Other than Fable and Dark Souls I don't know of many games with majority 'British' voice acting. Even in a lot of games the supposed 'British' characters sound like they were voiced by Americans who have only ever watched other Americans do 'British' accents.

Now I'm kinda curious how the whole Operation Rainfall thing happened, since it sounds like in the vast majority of situations, any translation/localization house for Japanese->English would be located in either Japan or America, and then that version would be used internationally. For once Nintendo of Europe must've been told "these games aren't going to come out in North America", so they got to completely call the shots on an English-language localization and use whoever they have and whatever UK voice actors they found.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Diablo III lots of the characters sound British-y, my Demon Hunter and his companion certainly do!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@bisonhero:

From what I understand, localizing for Europe essentially means you take a little bit more time out to translate into FEGIS (French, English, German, Italian, Spanish). (French only for Canada.) So it's not like Europe's getting a completely different version from America. The only difference for Operation Rainfall, I imagine, is that the perspectives were swapped.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Fable series.

I always thought the Fable games were like a buffet of horrible stereotype British accents. Which is weird, because those voice actors were probably British anyway.

HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

The original Ape Escape was localized twice.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@joshwent said:

@flameboy84 said:

The Fable series.

I always thought the Fable games were like a buffet of horrible stereotype British accents. Which is weird, because those voice actors were probably British anyway.

No different than a US produced work with American actors doing stereotyped or exaggerated southern, New York, or other regional accents. As an example, as a Massachusetts native I find the accents in most Boston based films to be way over exaggerated.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By spacetrucking

Space Marine, the Harry Potter and James Bond series (for obvious reasons) and a few old Rare games like Perfect Dark & Conkers have a lot of British VO. Ryan and Vinny really knew how to take the mickey out of such games (Shhapyce Muhreens?)

All Codemaster games have British VO too but it's mostly for the menus, tutorials and race commentary only so I'm not sure they count? Before the Fable series, most of the old Bullfrog games, like Black & White, Dungeon Keeper had British VO but again, those games didn't have much voice work anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last Story

yaobikuni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forbidden Siren (AKA Siren) for the PS1, and Clock Tower 3. The VO for both is British although some of the accents in CT3 were rather questionable.

j87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Book of Unwritten Tales

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#39  Edited By StarvingGamer
Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, Puppeteer has a lot of English VO in it at least. There's some American in there too, but I'd say its majority of accents lie more on the British side of things.

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim Online

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By militantfreudian

The Stanley Parable if it counts. The Witcher 2 perhaps. Save for Geralt, Triss and Letho, most other characters have non-American accents.

Edit: I think Dandelion and most of the elves were American, so I don't know about The Witcher 2.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh, I clicked on this to say Xenoblade: Chronicles, but nevermind.

Did Dragon's Dogma have mostly non-american voices? The only spoken line I remember in that game was "Fire works well!!"

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes is all kinds of British.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Bullfrog and Lionhead games like:

• Fable series;
  • Theme Hospital;
  • Black and White.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Xenoblade Chronicles is maybe my favorite all British cast in a game. Some pretty good stuff in there from some British-ass British people. And, I mean, REAL British, not Hollywood British. Also, I should have read the actual post and seen that was the one mentioned. Whatever! Still my pick.

Prinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Prinz

Ashes Cricket 2013

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By pekoe212

The Wii remake of Fatal Frame 2 (aka Project Zero 2), which was released in Europe but not America. The original PS2 game did have American voices, so it's jarring to go from one to the other as the characters' personalities seem different thanks to the difference voice acting. I prefer the British version though, the actors sound age-appropriate and have a little personality to them, rather than the original which imitated the high-pitched Japanese that made the girls sound like they were much younger. That way of speaking/acting in Japanese often comes off so terribly when actors attempt to copy it in English. Doesn't translate well.

yaobikuni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pekoe212: That's an excellent point. I also think that British pronunciation is much closer in sound to some of the vowel sounds in Japanese. Take for example, a character in Siren called Mrs. Takato. Thanks to the British VO, it sounds like Mrs. Tuh-Kuh-Toh, and not Mrs. Tuh-kay-toh. The former is tolerable while the latter is grating.