• 80 results
willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By willin

I recently turned 18 which is a big step in western culture. This legally makes you an adult and you are open to more in the adult life. You drink, drive and vote. One of the things now open to me is legally getting a tattoo. I was talking to my Mother about this. While she doesn't want me to get a tattoo she said that if I did I would at least make it meaningful to me.

One of the most meaningful things to me is gaming. I grew up playing video games. I live and breath the culture and gaming as a whole is very important to me, which of course has lead me to getting a gaming tattoo. Now I'm not attached to a certain franchise or character and seeing how this is my first tattoo I want to do something small and simple.

This brings me to icons. I want to get a gaming icon that not only represents the game but gaming as a whole. I don't want to get the Xbox logo or anything like that. I don't want to represent a hardware manufacturer, I want to represent gaming in general. I want something that every game enthusiast respects. I'm looking for stuff like the Triforce from the Legend of Zelda or the Atari 2600 joystick.

Does anyone have a suggestion or idea?

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jking47

My suggestion is to think about this for a year, then come back and ask again.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By willin

Well I'm not going to run and get it tomorrow but I can still think of what to get.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60
No Caption Provided
Tuddlesworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Tuddlesworth

You have to be 18 to drive?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By laserbolts
My advice is to not get a gaming tattoo but I guess a dpad or something small wouldn't hurt.
applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By applet0n
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft: I'll be honest, I've been having this conversation with myself as well. After doing some research and thinking though, I'm really struggling to come up with something meaningful that isn't a direct reference to a game itself, and rather represents the whole industry and culture. Point is, I don't know if there really is any predefined "icon" for people like us.

Either way, I'll be back here if I suddenly get a great idea.
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By vaiz

Don't get something obtrusive or obvious. I know someone who got 20 sided dice tattooed on her arm and I want to punch her in the face anytime I see her. Basically don't get something that screams HEY GUYS I'M A GAMER WANNA TALK ABOUT VIDEO GAMES?!?!?!?!.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Brendan

That Steam logo looks pretty nifty.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@CL60: Haha, that tattoo is great.
proggykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By proggykins

If you have to ask other people you probably shouldn't be getting it tattooed on your body.

benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By benitobb
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft: I think you shouldn't care if its iconic, but if it means something to you personally. If a game or moment in your gaming history has a lifelong impact on you, there is nothing wrong with commemorating it permanently with a tattoo, as long as you think it through and be certain. I'm 25 and saving up for my 7th tattoo which I am very seriously considering either an Adventures of Lolo, Kickle Cubicle, or Rock n' Ball tattoo. Of course people will hate on any subcultural specific tattoos, but hey, people are going to judge and critique everything anyway.
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By LeetBalla

Don't get a tattoo that's game related, that's fucking dumb. But tattoos in general are for pricks.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By coakroach

Dont.

shadowwolf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shadowwolf9
@LeetBalla: I also hate people who wear hats. What pricks!
TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheSmashing

Look at my avatar

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

No.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kyreo
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft: You should get a tattoo that either says "Press Start"  or a tattoo of just an "A Button" (the A button has been on Many many many controllers and fits the theme of video games rather well).

Also... welcome to adulthood.  
sawfish22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sawfish22

I've been considering getting a simple triforce tattoo on my wrist, but I can't bite the bullet because I'm afraid that I'll regret it in a week, a year, or some point down the line.

This is what I'm thinking of:
No Caption Provided
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By melcene

As someone with one tattoo and will probably get another down the road.... think hard not just about what you want, but where you're going to get it, and how it may affect how people perceive you 20 or 30 years down the road.  Sure, now some of you may say you don't care what other people think, but depending on the profession you go into, you may decide that a triforce tattoo on your wrist wasn't the brightest idea of your earlier years.  I knew what I was going to have tattooed when I got my first, and I know what and where my next will be when that happens.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EVO

I wouldn't mind getting this:

No Caption Provided
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kyreo
@EVO said:
No Caption Provided
Dude, that is a pretty awesome idea.  
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iam3green

if you have to think about what kind of tattoo you shouldn't get one. i am on the same boat. i'm thinking of getting tattoo. i'm thinking about getting a zombie tattoo. i've been thinking of what other people are going to think of the tattoo. like, o he likes zombies and think of zombie movies.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EVO
@Kyreo said:
@EVO said:
No Caption Provided
Dude, that is a pretty awesome idea.  
Problem is, unless I get it reasonably big I think it would just deform over time.
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By fox01313

There's really no over arcing icon I can think of that covers video games as there's so many things that might go for just one console or franchise. So as someone who knows many people with tattoos, make it meaningful & don't be afraid to draw/design it yourself (or convince some artist friend to help), most skilled tattoo artists might have to adapt the design's line thickness some depending on how big you want the tattoo but it should look pretty close if not exact to what you want.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Y'know what they say... Drinking, Driving and Voting = Death.

Also, WASD...
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Hizang

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Portis
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft said: 

You drink, drive and vote. 

...You could legally drive 2 years ago. Just sayin'. 
Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#31  Edited By Soap

I would advise against it to be honest, sorry to be the voice of reason in this otherwise exciting time but you really don't know what your going to be like or into in 5 or 6 years time, let alone 20-30, and what might be cool now could be something you massively regret later. :/ 

Not saying you shouldn't get one, but if you do you should think about it for a long time. 
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MysteriousBob

If I saw someone with a Zelda tattoo I'd punch them in the fucking nose.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Soap said:
I would advise against it to be honest, sorry to be the voice of reason in this otherwise exciting time but you really don't know what your going to be like or into in 5 or 6 years time, let alone 20-30, and what might be cool now could be something you massively regret later. :/ 

Not saying you shouldn't get one, but if you do you should think about it for a long time. 
Super Mario Brothers? They suck! 
Super Mario Brothers? They suck! 
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fallen189

If you're 18, why would you get a 2600 tattoo....

If you need to ask people on a forum for tattoo ideas for the sake of getting one, just don't get one. You're clearly not ready
PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PizzaSauce

I was pretty close to getting the Mario Kart blue shell tattoo and even had the appointment booked, but then I realised Tattoo's are pretty lame and I was being a bit of a douchebag. Still not sure about them, it's one of those things that you are never sure if you want or not, so I think i've decided  just to not bother.

100th Post :D

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By applet0n
@Kyreo: That is possibly the greatest idea I've ever heard for a video game tattoo. I mean, it's so universal of a trope that it completely passed my mind.

I am utterly humbled.
(Mind if I steal the idea?)
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheMustacheHero

You can drive when you're 16, and drink when you're 21. 

Is OP even in America?
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By RobotHamster

This.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Ravenousrattler

get a pac-man, everyone knows pac-man. wakka wakka

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#40  Edited By Danteveli

Don't do it. At least think long about it.
As for the logo I don't think many non gamers and people new to the gaming will now about icon from Zelda. They donna think you are in some sect or something.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By crusader8463

Decide what you want to do, and if in 5-10 years you still want it as badly get it done. Getting tattoos of some pop culture thing is the dumbest thing you can get, because no matter what people think of them now they are always a fad and eventually people grow old of them or companies will destroy what you loved about them.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Samaritan

If you're absolutely dead set on getting a tattoo, and dead set on getting a gaming tattoo, then please, for the love of God, make sure it's something that won't be dated in 5 years time. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By crusader8463

Shave your head bald and get a valve tattooed on your head so you can look like this guy.

No Caption Provided
Other then that, some WASD tatto. Bonus points if you get it across the knuckles on both hands.
No Caption Provided
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kyreo
@applet0n said:
@Kyreo: That is possibly the greatest idea I've ever heard for a video game tattoo. I mean, it's so universal of a trope that it completely passed my mind.

I am utterly humbled.
(Mind if I steal the idea?)
I would be honored if you did.  Send me a picture once you get it.  I wanna see how this turns out.  :P
Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Xdsk

If your dead set on getting a tattoo make sure you get it somewhere concealable i.e on the top of your arm or somewhere where a long sleeve shirt covers it. As alot of employers are not happy about seeing employees rocking tattoos at work (no matter how awesome)

I have a few tattoos myself (so im probably a prick idk) but they were 3 years apart, this is because each time i found a design i printed/drew it out and stuck it somewhere i could see it everyday. If i got bored of the design i would take it down and throw it away, if it stayed in place for a year i would then seriously consider getting it permanently inked onto my skin.

@Progn0sticator said:

If you're absolutely dead set on getting a tattoo, and dead set on getting a gaming tattoo, then please, for the love of God, make sure it's something that won't be dated in 5 years time. 
This is a good point also, the best bet is to get something that is classic NOW so in 5 years time it will probably be vintage. Try and get something that has a meaning to you not just a gimmicky logo or icon.

Once youve found your design go and get to know your prefered tattooist, see what his/her art style is and have a look at his/her previous work. Before you commit to one tattooist go and visit a few studios around your area and get some quotes for the workand check out some other artists. Dont feel bad about asking for a quote and then walking out the door if its too much.

But remember that a cheap tattoo is not always the best tattoo.

Hope this helps.
sawfish22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sawfish22
@MysteriousBob said:
So you'd punch Jessica Chobot in the fucking nose?  Same with the crew from MBMBAM?  (i.e. Justin, Travis and Griffin Mclroy)  Shame.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By penguindust
@Ravenousrattler said:
get a pac-man, everyone knows pac-man. wakka wakka
Just make sure it's not something you're embarrassed to have later on in life.
No Caption Provided
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CL60
@MysteriousBob said:
If I seen somebody punch somebody in the nose based on a tattoo they got, I would punch them in the nose.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Azteck

I'll probably end up getting one, but hell fucking no would it be of a gaming thing. It's a hobby, but I would regret it so badly instantly. I'd go with a quote or something like that, but that's just me. Lyrics is what I'll get for myself.
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Deusx
@Kyreo said:
@Lights_Up_The_Shaft: You should get a tattoo that either says "Press Start"  or a tattoo of just an "A Button" (the A button has been on Many many many controllers and fits the theme of video games rather well).

Also... welcome to adulthood.  
Dude that is anamazing idea... I already have a couple of tattoos but been thinking about doing something like this.