JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By JazGalaxy
@starrjack1 said:
" @JazGalaxy:  Your nostalgia is blinding you if you really think modern games have not surpassed Doom.  Or do you just mean modern FPS's don't use the same mechanics?  They don't use the same mechanics because they have better ones.  I mean what are you saying here, that if Jeff had played Doom without cheats start to finish we would have given Modern Warfare 2 a 4 out of 5?  What mechanics are you even talking about?  And I don't think you understand what gold standard means.  That means the very best, hands down, that everything else should aspire to half as good as it.  Most modern FPS surpass Doom by default.  You are right in thinking that no other FPS has changed video games as dramatically as Doom, but that is because it was the first one.  And it was fucking awesome for it's time.  But yeah, the longer I type, the more I think you are trolling.  Doom is not the best FPS ever, maybe the most influential, but not the best.    And I still don't understand why them playing it with cheats somehow makes them less credible.  Now that I think about it, Brad even said buying Doom on a whim is what got him into games.  I really want you to reply to this post because I don't think you have made your thoughts very clear here.  Or you have and you are just plain wrong by any non-crazy person standards. "  

Well in reply to your line of reasoning, I think there is a clear differentiation between "newer" and "better". 

Yes it's hard for people to go back and play Doom because it has poor graphics. It doesn't have 3d gameplay which means it doesn't need or support the ability to look up and down. It doesn't have mulitplayer gametypes. The list of things it doesn't do goes on and on. New games came out on newer technology and had newer features. This does not make them "better". It doesn't make them any better in the same way the new Star Wars movies aren't better than the old star wars movies.  

For GIant Bomb to come out and say they didn't play Doom is similar, I feel, to saying you give the new Star Wars movies 5 stars and then admitting you haven't seen the originals. Or I guess more aptly in this case, you saw them, but only half paid attention to them as they came on television or something. Yes you're entitled to your opinion, but at the same time, you don't know what you're talking about. 

I feel that Doom IS the Gold Standard for FPS games. You have to "Adjust for inflation", sure, in that it's technical ability is far worse than it's modern rivals, but I think that nobody will remember COD in 4 years whereas Doom has survived due to it's amazing gameplay systems. COD 4 only has it's "kapowza" factor. You wont' see COD 4 getting ported to phones in a few years or running on web clients in two decades. Nobody will care.  

It's comparing Hitchcock to Bruckheimer.  

And I'm not some hardcore Doom nerd. I wasn't super into Doom at the time, or now. But as a kid who played a LOT of games, I recognize it for what it was and what it is.
Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By MercuryCrusader

Hey guys, I'm 10 years old, let me insult all you old farts by yelling "NOSTALGIA" as much as possible because I'm literally 10 years old and everything I learned about debating I learned on the internet, which is the gold standard of serious debating.  Also, I have self-diagnosed Assburger's Syndrome.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By yinstarrunner

I just played through a bit of Doom today. Just beat episode 2 a few hours ago without cheats. Will start episode 3 tomorrow.

I honestly don't care if the GB crew used cheats or not when they played the game.  Challenge was not the main point of the game. The point was to chainsaw demons in the face while running around at 900 miles per hour dodging tens of projectiles coming from every direction.  The point is to feel badass.

That said, I'm kind of sad that they don't make games like that anymore.  Doom really was one of, if not, the fastest FPS games ever made.  Ever since then, between making games accessible and attempting to suspend our disbelief, FPSes have gradually gotten slower and slower.  I'd like to see someone try to return to form... I'd be really interested to see a modern game with all of the trappings that made Doom awesome.

Here is an excellent article and an interesting read written by one of the designers of Bioshock.  He explains why DOOM is much more unique than many of the FPS games we see today.
 http://vectorpoem.com/news/?p=74

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By Rowr

Doom is overated.

Theres definitely alot more to fps than doom.

That said, i dont trust a goddam thing the GB staff say about pc gaming ever. Console kids all around. (except  dave snider ofcourse, what a prince of a man)

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By JazGalaxy
@yinstarrunner said:
" I just played through a bit of Doom today. Just beat episode 2 a few hours ago without cheats. Will start episode 3 tomorrow.  I honestly don't care if the GB crew used cheats or not when they played the game.  Challenge was not the main point of the game. The point was to chainsaw demons in the face while running around at 900 miles per hour dodging tens of projectiles coming from every direction.  The point is to feel badass.  That said, I'm kind of sad that they don't make games like that anymore.  Doom really was one of, if not, the fastest FPS games ever made.  Ever since then, between making games accessible and attempting to suspend our disbelief, FPSes have gradually gotten slower and slower.  I'd like to see someone try to return to form... I'd be really interested to see a modern game with all of the trappings that made Doom awesome.  Here is an excellent article and an interesting read written by one of the designers of Bioshock.  He explains why DOOM is much more unique than many of the FPS games we see today.  http://vectorpoem.com/news/?p=74 "
With the ability to play for time (and beat a level under the given par time), to play for secrets, or to play for kills under like 5 different difficulty levels.... yes. Challenge was the point of the game.
yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By yinstarrunner
@JazGalaxy:   You're right, all of those things are there for players who wish to do them.  I was just saying that I don't think a lot of the charm of the game is lost on people who cheat through it.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By JazGalaxy
@yinstarrunner said:
" @JazGalaxy:   You're right, all of those things are there for players who wish to do them.  I was just saying that I don't think a lot of the charm of the game is lost on people who cheat through it. "
I understand what you're saying but I guess I just disagree. I think a lot of the charm is lost when you're playing with cheat codes. I mean, to be honest, I think a lot of the "I played Doom with cheat codes. It wasn't that great" comments are illustrating my entire point. If you played the game without the cheat codes, you may have been better able to understand WHY it was so great. 

CHeating to me seems like Griefing. I understand some people find it a legitimate way to get fun out of a game, and some even find it more fun than the game itself. But just like you can't comment on the state of MMORPGs if you only play them from the perspective of griefing, you can't very well comment on the state of FPS games if you only play them for cheating. (I understand that griefing and cheating are not the same insomuch as griefing ruins another persons experience and cheating affects only the player.) 
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By NathHaw

DOOM will always have a special place in my heart.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By yinstarrunner
@JazGalaxy:   Yeah, I can see where you're coming from.  I don't play Doom or any FPS game with cheat codes because I think it adds tension, which enhances the experience for me.  I can totally understand people having fun running around with god mode on, though.

I guess you and I just have a different emphasis on what makes gameplay fun.  Let's just leave it at that.
Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#110  Edited By Time_Lord

I always used the cheats on Doom

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By Slab64

I don't know if you should hold it against somebody if, for instance, in their youth, their family didn't own a computer. People could have been poop-socking their way through a bunch of hardcore Metroidvania- or bullet hell-style games on a console and earning their gamer "cred" in that respect while you were having your DOOM revelations. Short answer: not a big deal, doesn't mean anything.
davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By davidwitten22

Not even Doom music could make this thread not full of pretentious assholes. 

I've never beat the original Final Fantasy on NES, so I guess that just makes me some asshole who isn't allowed to judge RPGs, right? I've never played Doom 1 at all, so I guess when I like FPS shooters I don't really "understand" them. That's how you and a few others in this thread are coming off, at least to me. However, is Doom important? Fuck yeah. Is it influential? No shit. But to insinuate that not playing through it without cheats means you don't understand it is a logical fallacy. Just saying something doesn't make it true. I've never beat Starcraft: (Well, Brood War) without cheats, but it's probably my favorite game of all time behind Chrono Trigger.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By CptBedlam
@JazGalaxy: Seriously, get off your nostalgia/fanboy cloud.

Doom WAS the gold standard for shooters at the time and the game mechanics WERE great AT THE TIME. But today: not so much. Seriously, the level design of Doom1/2 is nothing to marvel about considering todays standards.

What you can say about Doom today is that it was one of the most influential games ever and respect how well it was made for the time when it was released.
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By DrRandle

You're pretty much just plain wrong. You don't have to have played doom to appreciate Half Life, which is, in every possible way, a better game. Hell Quake was a better game than Doom. Opinions of superiority aside, you're really taking a stretch here to try and remove the credibility of someone else, and if you're that desperate? Just go hide in a bunker and wait for your inevitable end, because buddy, nobody is going to be able to reach whatever impossible standards you think they should have.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#115  Edited By Synthballs

The game still has a lot of appeal with the cheats. It's like playing a Grand Theft Auto, at the end of the day, no one really gives a flying fuck.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Chirag4
@RockmanBionics said:
" Watching that Quicklook sorta made me want to try it. Can you get it for PC somewhere? "
Don't think so, maybe they'll put it on Steam someday.
HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#117  Edited By HaroldoNVU
@JazGalaxy said:

For GIant Bomb to come out and say they didn't play Doom is similar, I feel, to saying you give the new Star Wars movies 5 stars and then admitting you haven't seen the originals. Or I guess more aptly in this case, you saw them, but only half paid attention to them as they came on television or something.

Considering how much video games have evolved in the last 3 decades, being a brand new medium and all, I'd say the more apt comparison would be "reviewing the new Star Wars and then admitting you haven't seen the original Metropolis". Doom was great (I liked Heretic better, but whatever) and I was certainly influential to FPS released in the late 90's but has so little in common with modern shooters that having played Doom is irrelevant to properly appreciate the newer games. Nothing to do with graphics, it's the mechanics that are too different now.
Ravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Ravey

I used Doom cheats in Heretic and immediately regretted it.    

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#119  Edited By TheBlackPigeon
@JazGalaxy:
While I can agree that you're robbing yourself if you only play through a DOOM game with cheats (as mindlessly fun as that is), I'm not going to call a game journalist's credibility into question as a result of it. Besides, that's what user reviews are for! If you don't think a Giant Bomb staffer is doing a game justice, than step in there and give them what's for! (twirls mustache). 
CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#120  Edited By CoinMatze

You start up Doom and then you enter iddqd and idkfa. I can't remember ever playing through the game without cheats. It's kind of messed up when I think about it. I wasn't even ten years old and my parents let me play it.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#121  Edited By ProfessorEss

I played and beat Doom without any cheat codes, didn't play much Doom 2 tho.
In it's heyday it was the most mindblowing game I had ever seen.
I'm pretty indifferent to other people's opinions of it.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By FunExplosions
@JazGalaxy: I'm only 20 now, so by the time I played Doom, it was in the trilogy - or whatever it was - that came out on ps1. I may have only been around 10 or 12, but other games out still looked a lot better. That didn't bother me at all, though. Everything about that game was just awesome. Ridiculously difficult, vicious enemies, great weapons, and solid end boss battle. Just awesome.
felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By felixlighter

The staff playing through DOOM with cheat codes during adolescence certainly doesn't effect their credibility in my and most sane people's eyes.

Also, I played through Doom shortly after its release and I was around 15.  It blew me away.  However, at this point its relevance is as a huge stepping stone that led the genre forward after Wolfenstein 3D but its not the gold standard.  Some pretty major innovations to the genre came after DOOM (you know like being able to actually look up and down) that simply made games in the genre better.  You don't have to go any further than Star Wars Dark Forces to see a better FPS but it owes its existence to DOOM.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#124  Edited By Alexander

I played Doom II when I was seven back in 1995. That's my excuse.
starrjack1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By starrjack1
@JazGalaxy:  
You still have yet to say what makes Doom better.  And I don't mean graphics and technical ability, I fucking love mount and blade and that game looks like garbage!  Modern Warfare revolutionized multiplayer and is the gold standard for multiplayer shooters.  It's single player is better than Doom if you compare them.  The story is better, the pacing is better, the gunplay feels better, the pacing is better, the level design is better and so on.   

Seriously what specifically makes Doom a better game?  It lacks a story other than "Hell! Shoot shit!", the pacing is a flat line of AHHHHHH FIGHT from start to finish, you can only aim the guns in very general directions and the enemies are just one big normal hitbox, the level design can be interesting at times but frequently is just downright confusing.   

How about this, do you think Doom 2 is better than Doom?  Do you think Duke Nukem 3d is better or worse?  I think you are just being overly nostalgic and can't understand what these damn kids like these days.  Are you saying that we should have never changed anything about Doom, don't fix what ain't broke?  Because that would just stagnate the genre.  Or are you saying they should have tried to advance but in an entirely different way? 

And no you Star Wars comparison does not hold up one bit because modern games are way to different.  The times have changed, you have not.   
@HaroldoNVU
said: 
... I'd say the more apt comparison would be "reviewing the new Star Wars and then admitting you haven't seen the original Metropolis".  
This guy nailed it with that one.  The more I think about it the more I realize you are just being old.  You have hit the point where nothing new will impress you because you won't ever have that sense of wonderment again.  I still agree that Doom had the biggest impact on the industry, bigger than most games of any genre, but Doom is not the best ever.  It allowed us to create what is the best now and is still the strong foundation for games we play and will play in the future.  Also, Brad played through Doom with cheats when he was little and when he got older we beat it on ultra-violence.  So is he credible in your whack ass world view?
s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By s7evn

Let's sing the Doom song! 

Sorry wrong idea. I have played doom, though I was rather young when it came out (4ish?). My granddad was a really big Wolfenstein 3d player though, mapping out the entire game.

theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By theduke

not playing Doom without cheat codes doesn't mean you don't understand how to point and shoot
it's just a videogame

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Karl_Boss

Playing doom with cheat codes would kind of ruin it in my opinion....I just hate cheats in general.....and doom was and probably will always be one of if not my favorite FPS game of all time.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By cap123

I played it with no prior knowledge of it, and i had no idea you could cheat. Didn't complete it either though, i was only 9 or 10 :(

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By WickedFather

You didn't need to cheat in doom - you had quicksave on F2 which was almost like cheating.  If you do cheat on it you're really robbing yourself of the fun.  The game is fucking fun.  I fired it up the other day and it's uncomplicated shootin' shit fun.  Once you've got good on it at ultra violence you can drop down the skill level and basically take the piss.

Now Serious Sam... that was shit.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#131  Edited By HaroldoNVU
@RockmanBionics said: 

" Watching that Quicklook sorta made me want to try it. Can you get it for PC somewhere? "

The original Doom is listed as The Ultimate Doom on Steam for 10 dollars. I Think it's a little overpriced but it's a cool game. 
@Ravey
said:

" I used Doom cheats in Heretic and immediately regretted it.     "

LOL me too. Damn Instant Death code made me laugh so hard when I first used it. 

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I can understand why you were really into to Doom as it was a great game for its time, but when I played it I never really saw what all the fuss was about. Though I will say that it is one of the first games that really made me nervous/scared and got my heart pounding.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#133  Edited By s-a-n-JR

What's Doom? Is it a new game?