Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By dragonzord
@MysteriousBob said:
" @HaroldoNVU said:
" X360 only - Limbo "
Super Meat Boy is still currently exclusive and a far better game than Limbo which is style over substance. "
Super Meat Boy is on PC
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By ProfessorEss
@MysteriousBob said:

" @HaroldoNVU said:

" X360 only - Limbo "
Super Meat Boy is still currently exclusive and a far better game than Limbo which is style over substance. "
You didn't get the memo? Style counts.

...and I don't know if you noticed it, but MeatBoy's kinda puttin some weight on those style bids too.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#53  Edited By rjayb89

PICROSS 3D

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ProfessorEss
@rjayb89 said:
" PICROSS 3D "
hahaha, I've been thinkin about that one a lot too.
Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By Mikewrestler5

Deadly Premonition better be on someone's list!

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By HubrisRanger
@Sir_Ragnarok said:

I think they should totally alter how they approach it.  

They ran into the issue last year with Modern Warfare 2. It was a better game--by their standards, now, I'm not inserting my opinion here--than some of the platform-specific titles, but it got snubbed because of the stiff multi-platform competition. Which seems counter-productive, to me. Like, if we're having a discussion about the best games of the year, why aren't we talking about the best games of the year, regardless of platform. Sure, Shadow Complex was great and all. But . . . I mean, come on.   And if that's their angle for this year again, then yeah, like you say, Mass Effect 2 could get smothered. When, really, that game deserves some serious recognition. "
While I agree with you in principal (IE, MW2 may have been worth more serious Top Prize consideration), I also agree with the logic that they had of if a game didn't win its platform-specific award, then how could it possibly be the best game of the year? And in their defense, for the top award last year they didn't have any winner-ups (even though Batman would have been it), they just had a top dog. And their approach at least was better than how Game Trailers did things, where the platform-specific award weren't terribly specific, so Modern Warfare 2 just won everything because it came out for everything.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By bacongames

Jeff - Mass Effect 2 (he practically said it on an earlier podcast)
Brad - StarCraft II (fucker watches GSL matches on plane trips and shit)
Ryan - Civilization 5 (he cannot deny the crack)
Vinny - Mass Effect 2 (Vinny wouldn't stop talking about this game at the start of the year).

Beyond that I can see where Vinny and Brad come together to fight for Red Dead Redemption but that's about it.  Hmm...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Jeff will pick Mass Effect, he's said as much.  He likes Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, but I think likes the narrative more than he likes the actual gameplay.  And he seems to have no interest whatsoever in Read Dead Redemption, which is baffling considering he liked GTA4 so much.

Vinny played a lot of RDR, but remember, he played so much ME 2 that he went back and played the original, and listened to both of the books, and went through the codex.  So I'd put him towards

Brad will lean to Starcraft II, but he won't be able to get anyone else to go with him, so he'll eventually have to decide between Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption.  I have a feeling he's going to lean on RDR, because he hasn't played any of the Mass Effect DLC and he got a somewhat bad ending.  I think it will have a Fable III effect and he'll hate it when he remembers how he let Kelly die.

Ryan has the most wide net, as he'll be up on ME2, RDR, Civilization 5 and AC: Brotherhood.  He'll talk up both Civ5 and Brotherhood, but I don't think it's going to be enough to woo Jeff or Brad.  Ryan loved both ME2 and RDR, and played through all of the DLC for both, and loved that.  He's the wild card here.  If Ryan picks ME2, this is over.  If he picks RDR, it's another Brad-Ryan vs Vinny-Jeff, three years in a row.

360 is ME2, PS3 has got to be God of War (no way Heavy Rain wins, and they hated everything else), PC is going to be a great fight that Starcraft II eventually wins, multiplat will be RDR and the rest, who knows.  Best Wii game should be Trauma Team, but it'll end up being Mario Galaxy.

Northies will probably go to Brotherhood, but dude, Steven Heck in Alpha Protocol holy shit.  Game of 2009 should be Dragon Age.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By FritzDude
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@HubrisRanger: Good point. That's really the truth, now that I think of it. Even if the runner-up of a cross-platform category is of a higher caliber than the winner of a platform-specific entry, it's still a forgone conclusion to some extent that it won't be better than the game it lost out to initially. 
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#61  Edited By ThePickle

Mass Effect 2 seems like the obvious choice. It seems to be the only game the entire staff will agree upon. Remember, Jeff hates RDR. 

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By valrog

It's obviously Kinect Adventures.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#63  Edited By aurahack

I want to stab everyone who says Deadly Premonition. Seriously. It's like beating a non-existant horse because you've mashed every atom out of the fucking animal by now.

Also, I think it'll be a 2009 Batman/Uncharted 2 thing with Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect 2. Ryan and Vinny will both stay on AC:B's side, where Brad and Jeff will stay on ME2's side.

Tough call, to be honest. I have no idea what would win.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By HubrisRanger
@aurahack You know that one indie movie or band that you or a friend likes? The one that is flawed in very obvious ways when compared to larger budget projects, but has a sincerity and charm that make it stand out as something special? That's Deadly Premonition for me, and I suspect a lot of other people. By no means my favorite game of the year, but definitely in my top ten and possibly top five, without any sense of irony or cheekiness. And there are plenty of great arguments for why it should be considered (and yes, just as many as to why it shouldn't.)
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By Gabriel

ME2

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By aurahack
@HubrisRanger: You're talking to someone who bought the game the day it came out, beat it the same week and loved just about every moment of it. That game is great for how busted it is and how memorable the characters and story are, but the game remains busted.

What I have a problem with is the seemingly-neverending swarm of imbeciles who think it's the greatest game of the year because they watched the Endurance Run and thought that shit was mad hilarious. I'm not saying it shouldn't be on people's game of the year list- that's their list and I have no issue with that. What I have an issue with is them saying it should be GOTY on list other than theirs, because it very much doesn't belong there.

It's like that one indie movie or band that, when it comes to the end of the year and you're trying to make an objective list of what was the best of this year, your buddy comes in and says "Haha, no dude bro dude, this shit was fucking awesome come on admit it no seriously just put it on the list".
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ProfessorEss

@HandsomeDevil said:

Jeff hates RDR.  "

I feel like this is overly negative based on my person opinional of the game, but I'm kinda waiting to hear something along the lines of: 

"As unfortunate as it may be, the folks at GiantBomb find it inappropriate to include Red Dead Redemption in our award consideration, as we did not have the time or resources to play, evaluate and/or properly review the game or it's accompanying DLC."
amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#68  Edited By amlabella

Here are my predictions:
Brad - StarCraft II or Red Dead Redemption
Jeff - Mass Effect 2
Ryan - This one's tough. I'm surprised I haven't seen Super Mario Galaxy 2 mentioned, he seemed to like that a lot. So I guess either Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, or Super Mario Galaxy 2.
Vinny - Mass Effect 2 or Red Dead Redemption

Overall I think they'll give GOTY to Mass Effect 2.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MrKlorox

Was Mass Effect 2 this year? Yeah that one.

Jeff didn't like RDR so that disqualifies that, no matter how much it deserves to win.

allenibrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By allenibrahim

Red Dead SHOULD win, but Mass Effect 2 will absolutely win because Jeff didn't like RDR. Bummer.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By T0mF5

Jeff - Mass Effect 2 or SSFIV 
Ryan - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood or Civ V 
Vinny - Mass Effect 2 or Red Dead Redemption 
Brad - Starcraft II or Red Dead Redemption

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Jadeskye

gotta be mass effect 2.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By dragonzord
@ProfessorEss said:
"   @HandsomeDevil said:

Jeff hates RDR.  "

I feel like this is overly negative based on my person opinional of the game, but I'm kinda waiting to hear something along the lines of:  "As unfortunate as it may be, the folks at GiantBomb find it inappropriate to include Red Dead Redemption in our award consideration, as we did not have the time or resources to play, evaluate and/or properly review the game or it's accompanying DLC." "
Welcome to Dragon Age: Origins
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By toowalrus

I didn't play ME2, though I guess it's better than the first, which I didn't care for. I did play a shit-ton of AC, so that's my personal GOTY.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#75  Edited By samfo
@allenibrahim:
i agree, i think red dead was better. But its up to them and not us :)
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#76  Edited By dtat

Jeff-ME2 
Brad-Starcraft 2, but eventually Red Dead Redemption 
Ryan-Civ V, but eventually ME2 
Vinny is the Wild Card for me. I honestly could see him going for either Red Dead or ME2 or AC Brotherhood for that matter. 

I would love to see a 50/50 split with Jeff and Ryan facing off against Brad and Vinny. The last two years have been Jeff and Vinny vs Brad and Ryan. I think Jeff and Ryan together would make a powerhouse debate team. And of course, ME2 should win :P 

Edit: I could also see Ryan going all out for Brotherhood, but I suspect it will fall victim to the "too much of the same" syndrome. That why I think Ryan will eventually fall on the side of ME2.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By NathHaw
@aurahack said:
" Also, I think it'll be a 2009 Batman/Uncharted 2 thing with Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect 2. Ryan and Vinny will both stay on AC:B's side, where Brad and Jeff will stay on ME2's side.  Tough call, to be honest. I have no idea what would win. "
I still wish Vinny would've stuck to his guns last year with Batman.  I really wanted it to win.  Uncharted 2 is great too though.
DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By DG991
@zoner: DA:O was my favorite game of 2009... 
 but I don't have a ps3 and didn't get to play uncharted 2.... I'm sure it deserved it.  

ME2 came out and they said right away... this is GOTY...even if its early 2010. 
Brad should stick with his gut and say SC2... fuck RDR, it's not on the same level as SC2. 
AC brotherhood is a great game and all.. but really? It can't be better then ME2. 

Personally I think Angry Birds should win. 
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bloviator said:
" @aurahack said:
" Also, I think it'll be a 2009 Batman/Uncharted 2 thing with Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect 2. Ryan and Vinny will both stay on AC:B's side, where Brad and Jeff will stay on ME2's side.  Tough call, to be honest. I have no idea what would win. "
I still wish Vinny would've stuck to his guns last year with Batman.  I really wanted it to win.  Uncharted 2 is great too though. "
When it's so tooth-and-nail that the primary reason for Batman's losing was its somewhat gimmicky use of gargoyles, I think it's safe to call those games near-equals. 
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#81  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Mass Effect 2. End of story.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82  Edited By TheHBK

Lets see. 
Mass Effect 2 
Red Dead Redemption 
Assassin's Creed Bros. 
Halo: Reach 

I am gonna say they give it to Assassin's Creed Bros.  ME2 seems like a logical choice but it didn't seem that special to me.  Red Dead is good but for me it was kinda derivative and they didn't seem that into it really.  Reach is great but feels like its a matter of taste.  The Creed seems to be what they can all get a consensus on. 

My game of the year pick.  NBA2k11.  Just great game and is probably one of the best sports games ever along with NFL2k5.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By aurahack
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @Bloviator said:
" @aurahack said:
I still wish Vinny would've stuck to his guns last year with Batman.  I really wanted it to win.  Uncharted 2 is great too though. "
When it's so tooth-and-nail that the primary reason for Batman's losing was its somewhat gimmicky use of gargoyles, I think it's safe to call those games near-equals.  "
This. 

I loved both of those games for far different reasons, so I don't think I would of been able to pick a winner in that situation. Glad Uncharted 2 won, though. A near-flawless game if I've ever seen one.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84  Edited By tourgen
@aurahack:  -

I respectfully disagree, I think DP deserves some mention somewhere in a GOTY discussion in a completely non-ironic way.  And here's why - I had no idea what was going to happen next in that game.  A guy at a mini-mart told me ghost stores.  Then he gave me a map and I followed it to fight zombies.  I could fish for bullets.  I fought a giant hillbilly in overalls with a transdimensional plant living inside him.  I could buy a lolipop from a gunsmith.  Literally no idea what was coming next.  That's so amazing and fun to me.  Look at other similar games this year that combine adventure with semi-open worlds - Mafia 2, AC Brotherhood, Red Dead, maybe even ME2.  The possibilities of what I was going to experience when I first put the disk in for those games was so much smaller.  AC and Red Dead did do some new and interesting things but DP deserves some discussion too.  It has heart in an age where almost everything is a sequel with a by-the-numbers plot.
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Th3_James

I can't choose a GOTY for me, but I've played alot of great games this year. 

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#86  Edited By KingBroly

It's going to be Mass Effect.  I could see Ryan saying AC: Brotherhood, but if they do it like last year and have one game per platform up there, then it'll probably come down to Mass Effect and Starcraft, in which case it's Mass Effect.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By aurahack
@tourgen:  It has heart, for sure. That doesn't mean that it holds up to some of the finer games of this year. I'll agree with you on it being suspensful, but the reason I never knew what would happen next is because the story made no sense whatsoever until the very end, where everything was explained through an explanation that also made no sense. The fact that you can fish for bullets doesn't make it sound-out above other open-world games, it just makes the game completely non-sensical. Think of it's direct competitors: 

Open world-wise, you have Red Dead Redemption and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Both of those titles have a world that's far more fleshed out and stories that actually feature fantastic storytelling. They keep you guessing but not due to the fact that the game leaves you confused. They do so by properly telling you a coherent story and setting you up for the next event. There's no way DP could hold a candle to either games, simply because both other games also have heart. They just happen to also be well-realized games.

Setting-wise, you have Alan Wake which is above and beyond anything DP could ever achieve when it comes to setting and atmosphere. DP had me puzzled, but it also had me laughing the entire way through. I loved all of it, but that game is ridiculous and seeing it as anything other than that is the equivalent of appreciating post-modern art for being "different". Alan Wake fucking terrified the shit out of me and had me glued to the screen for every second it went on. It was equally as confusing but expertly told throughout it's entirety, which is something DP failed miserably at. 

I hate typing all of this because I feel like I'm sounding like a conceited forum troll but, again, DP can, in no way, compare to this year's finest and brightest, especially with so many of those games out there. I am not denying anyone's love for that game as I hold an appreciation for it too, but to objectively say it's one of the year's finest is facetious in every possible way.
jdquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By jdquach

It's going to be ether ME2, Brotherhood, or RDR. 

I don't think it can be Starcraft 2 or Civ 5. As much as Brad loves Starcraft 2, he can't really fight for it since the rest of the crew are not nearly into it as him. Although, I recall Jeff saying that "It would be a tough game to beat come award times" after he finished it. Vinny also seemed to enjoy it, but I'm not even sure Ryan played it at all. Same thing with Civ 5. Ryan can't fight games like ME2 and such with Civ 5. Even if Vinny and Brad seemed to dig it, it's not enough. The Starcraft 2 vs Civ 5 PC GOTY is going be awesome though. 

The crew loved ME2, so that's a safe and easy choice. Vinny S-ranked that game, replayed ME1, and listened to the audio books. He even bought the freakin' iPhone game. Jeff hasn't been very subtle about his GOTY choice. Obviously Mass Effect, unless Brotherhood really blew up his skirt. Which it seems like it hasn't. I remember when Brad was reviewing it he was just constantly giving praise to it. Ryan also really dug it. It's the least divisive choice. 

But Ryan, Vinny, and Brad also really liked Red Dead. I remember for around four consecutive podcasts they always talked about Red Dead at one point or another. I even recall Vinny saying during E3 "I'd rather be home playing Red Dead.". But... Jeff didn't really dig it.  

Lets not forget Brotherhood. That is also a game the crew loved. The only thing stopping Brotherhood from becoming a contender is that Brad didn't play it. He said on a recent podcast that he wanted to play through the Assassin's Creed series. If he really likes Brotherhood, then Brotherhood is a big contender as well. But that's IF Brad plays it, and IF Brad even likes it, and IF Jeff, Vinny, or Ryan would fight for that game over RDR or ME2. That's a lot of ifs.

Oh man, a RDR vs ME2 vs Brotherhood fight would be crazy. If Brad doesn't play Brotherhood, it's out and it's ether ME2 or RDR. But who would be on what games side? Jeff is the only lock. He's on ME2. Vinny, Brad, and Ryan could fight for ether game. But the only way I can see Red Dead winning is that if Vinny, Brad, and Ryan buddy up and right for Red Dead. As much as Jeff would fight, it would end up being like how GTA4 won GOTY a couple of years ago. Brad couldn't win that uphill battle against Ryan, Jeff, and Vinny. Since Ryan switched teams to GTA4. Unless RDR gets some REALLY good arguements or the majority, I don't see it winning.

Lets say Brotherhood is a contender. Brad played it and enjoyed it. Now, would anyone switch teams to Brotherhood? I can see Ryan and Vinny fighting for Brotherhood. Jeff is ME2. Then Brad wouldn't be able to fight for Red Dead for the same reason he can't fight for Starcraft 2. If Brad goes Brotherhood, then it's most likely Brotherhood as GOTY. I can see Jeff being okay with Brotherhood as GOTY since he also really enjoyed it. 

But what if Brad goes ME2? A Vinny and Ryan vs Jeff and Brad would be awesome. Would be this years Batman vs Uncharted. 

I think it's Mass Effect 2 this year. Jeff didn't like RDR, so I don't think it will win. And unless Brad plays Brotherhood and loves it, Brotherhood can't win. 

I could be totally wrong, and probably am, but unless the crew picks Deadly Premonition as some kind of joke, it's probably going to be Mass Effect. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#89  Edited By crusader8463

Whatever it is, I'm about 90% sure it will be something I didn't like, and all the games that I loved will not even get mentioned. That's always how these game of the year things work out for me.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90  Edited By Zereta
Jeff: Mass Effect 2/Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Drew: Halo: Reach/Mass Effect 2 
Vinny: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood/Red Dead Redemption
Brad: Mass Effect 2/Starcraft 2
Ryan: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood/Red Dead Redemption/Civ 5

(In order of most likely) 

Alex: Probably Super Mario Galaxy 2 (ROCK BAND 3 BITCHES)
Dave: I don't know... Mass Effect 2, maybe? 

Collective GOTY: Either Mass Effect 2 or Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.  
Based on their comments on the podcast, I think Halo: Reach might have a shot on being third on the list.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Hot_Karl

You know what could be a dark horse? My personal game of the year (and I'm completely, 100% serious about this): Pac-Man Championship Edition DX. I feel like the crew LOVES that game. It'll probably win best downloadable as a consolation prize, that's more likely.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#92  Edited By Skald
@VinceNotVance said:
" You know what could be a dark horse? My personal game of the year (and I'm completely, 100% serious about this): Pac-Man Championship Edition DX. I feel like the crew LOVES that game. It'll probably win best downloadable as a consolation prize, that's more likely. "
I don't know, it has to go up against Super Meat Boy and Limbo.
KME93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#93  Edited By KME93

Brad: Starcraft 2 
Ryan: ACB or Civ 5 
Vinny: ME2
Jeff: ME2 or Rock Band 3
Just a sidebar I really hope that Vanquish gets at least nominated for something cause I feel that game came out at the wrong time and with everyone saying it was short I think not that many people paid mind to it but it really was a great game

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#94  Edited By Belonpopo
@crono11: That's classic.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#95  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I think Jeff will pick Mass Effect 2. The reason I think this is because of that one time when he said 

No Caption Provided
RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By RTSlord

RDR for most, SC2 for brad, although it might be RDR for brad as well, he was loving that game on a couple podcasts

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#97  Edited By thatfrood

I am really, really not looking forward to the Civ V vs. SC2 debate.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MistaSparkle

Unfortunately, I feel Heavy Rain will be overlooked...
FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#99  Edited By FesteringNeon

Red Dead Redemption. 

Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Shard

The only debate I see in the future is for the best PC game and here are my guesses 

Mass effect 2 for GOTY 
Mass effect 2 for 360 
heavy rain for PS3 
Kirbys epic yarn for Wii  
CIV V or SC2 for PC