Have you ever gotten seriously scared playing a game?

• 117 results
FullmetalPopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By FullmetalPopo

No horror video game has ever phased me except for earlier today I was playing DOOM 3 and for some reason it freaked me out to the point where I had my flashlight out going walking pace searching every corner terrifired something would come out.. Have you ever gotten scared by a video game?

cancerdancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By cancerdancer

Yes. /thread

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1
Condemned. fuck man. that's the only game to make me stop playing because i was so scared. 
peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By peacebrother

Resident Evil on Gamecube.

That game was legitimately scary.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Organicalistic_
@AjayRaz: hehehe, i thought you said this
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Whisperkill

Condemned and Condemned 2

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By CSXLoser

Luigi's Mansion 

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By SBYM

Scared? No. Creeped out a little? Yeah, but it's rare.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yes, during Banjo Kazooie. Don't give me that look, I was a kid.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By Geno

Stalker. God damn that game and its atmosphere. 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shirogane
@Video_Game_King said:
"Yes, during Banjo Kazooie. Don't give me that look, I was a kid. "

Dude, it's a talking bear! I don't blame ya. 

Playing Diablo 1 when i was a kid. Oh god, the music, the dungeon. The damn Butcher, screaming fresh meat and charging ya.
plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By plop1920

Resident Evil 2 when I was little, I enjoyed watching others play it though. Now I rarely get scared playing horror games, I do like a nice atmosphere though
KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

The original Silent Hill and Fatal Frame games when they came out...especially the latter. Fatal Frame was so fucking unnerving...I only had it for a rental period and played it a lot, but I never managed to finish it.

Also, the REmake for GameCube. I owned that game for over a year before I finally worked up the nerve to play through that whole thing. I think it was those damned Crimson Head zombies that had me so terrified, but the entire game was so heavy on the atmosphere and chills that I dreaded playing it, even when I was enjoying it. The series seriously needs to go back to that.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By DeathByWaffle

Condemned got me pretty freaked out.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mpgeist
@AjayRaz said:
" Condemned. fuck man. that's the only game to make me stop playing because i was so scared.  "
Same with me.
v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By v

i dont know if anyone else got freaked out by this but there was a point in Bioshock where i got freaked out. Where you are in the dentist place and it gets all foggy and you turn around and he's right there... It made me jump.

FullmetalPopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FullmetalPopo

Whenever i first started gaming Dino Crysis and Resident Evil 2 for the PS1 freaked me out more than anything now that I think about it... I couldn't even play them lol
Mechwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mechwing

Demon's Souls. cuz god damn, those bosses scare the hell out of me knowing i'm dead in 2 damn hits.

drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By drace
@Shirogane said: 
Dude, it's a talking bear! I don't blame ya.  Playing Diablo 1 when i was a kid. Oh god, the music, the dungeon. The damn Butcher, screaming fresh meat and charging ya. "

Dude. Yes. 

Diablo and the first Silent Hill messed me up way back when.
UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

the original FEAR on the PC at max settings, played only after midnight in total blackness with surround-sound. HELL YES I WAS AFRAID =(((((((((((((((((

CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CowboyBebopper

I know it may be the popular choice, but Silent Hill 2 always got to me.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@AjayRaz said:

" Condemned. fuck man. that's the only game to make me stop playing because i was so scared.  "

Pfft. Fuck Condemned in the butt. 

A man's man game is Silent Hill 2. Not only is it one of the scariest games of all time, it's an amazing game over. People will say the first Silent Hill is scarier, but whatever, I haven't played it. All I know is that Silent Hill 2 has the hospital...and Pyramid Head... 

Oh God...Pyramid Head... 

Edit: 

@CowboyBebopper
said:
" I know it may be the popular choice, but Silent Hill 2 always got to me. "
*high fives*
Avatar image for thekingoftoilets
thekingoftoilets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thekingoftoilets

Yes indeed. Fatal Frame 1. Oh those random ghost heads and ghost kids flying around and coming up from the floor and walls. If you have not been scared in a game before, play halfway through Fatal Frame 1.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FunExplosions

Silent Hill 1, and more recently, Silent Hill 3. When you're all alone in an abandoned hospital, possibly being stalked by some messed-up monsters, the last thing your psyche needs is for the walls to start turning into rust. I'm pretty sure I turned my lights on and walked away at that point.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hourai

I've been playing Condemned 2 the past few days and it's really been scaring the shit out of me. I went into a dark bathroom and looked at the mirror and saw an enemy running up behind me, and then in another part there were a bunch of mannequins that stood closer to me every time I turned around.  

Haven't played the first game, but I should get around to it after finishing the second. 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Jeust

Silent Hill 2 (true) ending scarred me, it made me really depressed. I loved it though. One of the most original stories i've seen in videogames. 

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By yakov456

Silent Hill 2 and 3 fucked with me when they came out.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Capum15
@V said:

" i dont know if anyone else got freaked out by this but there was a point in Bioshock where i got freaked out. Where you are in the dentist place and it gets all foggy and you turn around and he's right there... It made me jump. "

My friend said the same thing to me, except he was wearing headphones that completely covered his ear, so he heard everything.

Silent Hill 2 (I think, maybe 1) at night. I don't remember much, just that it kept screwing with me.

Though I also got all kinds of creeped out by Ravenholm in Half Life 2 when I first played it way back. Christ, that was horrible. Just...horrible. Also: Glitching to get the Super Gravity Gun early-game, then accidentally hitting the right mouse button and pulling a zombie corpse from a pitch-black corner into your face. Cue "GAH! FUCK!" and punting it away a few hundred yards. My friend was playing when we first encountered Fast Zombies. He saw them on the far roof (we didn't think much of them), turned around to check behind him, turned back around with the thing in mid-jump clawing his face. We both jumped and he emptied a hundred or so SMG rounds. We were playing around midnight too, with the only light being the monitor.

Though I recently replayed HL2 and the episodes a few times, and it's a lot less creepy this time around, mostly because I try out interesting ways to kill zombies.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jadeskye

Condemned was pretty damn scary.

Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#31  Edited By Somadude

I think Demon's souls is the only game where I was literally scared.  
But yeah, the silent hill games always creep me out.
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DrPockets000

Condemned 1 & 2.  I was able to finish them but it was not easy.  I remember in the first game I was in that department store and I saw a dude with one of those creepy masks just standing and staring at me across the way.  Fuck. 

I couldn't finish Silent Hill: Origins.  It was just too much.  Maybe because I played in the pitch black with headphones right before bed.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33  Edited By damnboyadvance

My brother told me that FEAR scared one of his friends so much that his friend had to stop playing and everything.

Also, I don't know why, but Ace Attorney games kinda freak me out., if I'm playing them at night. Like when I'm done playing it, it freaks me out to walk in a dark room. Maybe the thoughts of the game. Maybe just the cases and stuff. I don't know... :/

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pekoe212

Fatal Frame. I started playing it on a sunny Saturday afternoon, my roommate was in the apartment, and yet I still got shivers the minute I walked into that mansion and the ghosts started popping out. Some adventure games also had memorable jump-in-your-chair moments when playing at night: Scratches, exploring the Harbor Cottage at night in The Lost Crown, and The Darkness Within, a Lovecraft-inspired atmosphere, some really freaky moments.  Also what little I played of Call of Cthulhu. They got those creepy townsfolk voices just right, ugh.....there is something about games where you can't fight back and just have to run. I didn't run good enough in that game. ;_; I'm a little afraid to try Silent Hill...it would be fun with someone else around but as I live alone it might be too creepy to play at night. Condemned I won't even touch for my sanity's sake.

corgorav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By corgorav

I haven't, unfortunately. I guess it's due to my poor ability to suspend my disbelief.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By raviolisumo

The second Professor Layton.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Yes, Silent Hill 2.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Akeldama
@SBYM said:
" Scared? No. Creeped out a little? Yeah, but it's rare. "
Play all of Silent Hill 2 and see if that changes.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By buzz_clik

Not outside of jump scares, but they don't really count as being "seriously scared" by a game. So... nope!

I thought Doom 3 was a bit dull and predictable, personally. Couple that with the fact that it didn't feel like a Doom title and I was left with a very disappointing experience.

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sushbag

Silent Hill 2, thread over.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By SBYM
@Akeldama said:
" @SBYM said:
" Scared? No. Creeped out a little? Yeah, but it's rare. "
Play all of Silent Hill 2 and see if that changes. "
I owned and played Silent Hill 2 on the Xbox back when it was fairly new. In fact, when I put the whole "Creeped out a little" the first appearance of Pyramid Head in the apartments was exactly what I was thinking of.
Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Guyzea said:
" Resident Evil 2 back when it came out because I was young. I was so terrified of playing it that I got my neighbor to play and finish it for me while I just watched. "
exactly what i did, only with a group of friends just passing the controller off when it got too scary
James0890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By James0890

Trying to get through Penumbra: Black Plague right now, I have to stop after playing for about 20mins to fight off a panic attack. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but damn, hiding behind a desk while some naked zombie thing is looking for you is hella scary.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By RichardLOlson

Anyone who gets scared from a video game is just a pussy.  At least scared to the point where they don't want to play it.  I mean its just a game.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Uhh... totally? I'm scared easily, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Geno said:
" Stalker. God damn that game and its atmosphere.  "
Awesome. Someone who actually played the game!

The game that terrified the shit out of me was Half-Life 1. Being ten years old, I couldn't tempt myself to face the first Headcrab without a weapon.
theWarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By theWarren

Silent Hill 2.  Man that thing freaked me out.  The crazy slamming sound on one of the bathroom stall doors scared the crap out of me.  also outside you can hear the guy on the horse circling you, but you never can find him.  Why are those sounds there?  Just to scare you man, and it worked.

iSylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By iSylence
@Video_Game_King said:

" Yes, during Banjo Kazooie. Don't give me that look, I was a kid. "

I was scared by the movie that played when you went save and quit, where the witch activates her machine and makes Tooty all ugly. I was also a child at the time :)

Edit: also I was really scared going through Ravenholm in Half-Life 2.  That was freaky as, made me put it down for a while lol. Again, I was younger, I still get a little scared in horror games but not to the point of stopping playing. Not that I play a lot of them however :)
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By Evilsbane

I can't remember how old I was when I first finally bought Doom 3 on the PC when I had built a good enough rig, I played about 3-4 hours in and I had to stop, I didn't play the game for 2 weeks, I think it was the part with the the crawling heads from "The Thing" those things were just fucking scary as shit, I'd be crouched down waiting for something to pop up and turn a little and that fucking upside down crazy face spider is right there with 6 of his friends. Not afraid of spiders or anything but damn...