How much are people really caring about quality of Wii U?

• 58 results
Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlueLantern1995

This is a question I have had. The Wii which had prettty sh!tty quality and sold a lot and in my neighborhood sold way more than PS3 and Xbox 360. People really buy Nintendo's gamestation for the exclusives. I mean I almost bought a Wii instead of a PS3 because of it.

Nintendo is the King of exclusives it has the 2 biggest exclusive franchises of all time and no series comes even close. These 2 being Mario and Zelda.

Now I ask the question again, how much do people really care about the tech. As I have mentioned my area and a few neighboring towns have had Wii's sell out and the Wii exclusives be virtually gone in a few days. And the sales for Wii surprising was able to keep up with PS3 and Xbox 360 despite the way lower graphics quality.

So do people really care that much? Personally I probably would have considered buying Wii U for the exclusives if the tech level had remained around the same level as Wii, and I know all my friends have had the same thought. With this improvement in tech, it definitely increased the wanting of the console but I don't think it effected it THAT MUCH.

So how much does this improvement effect the wanting of the Wii U...this is the question I pose and can't wait to here the answer from you.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

People don't buy Nintendo products for good tech. They buy them for a) novelty or b) Zelda/Mario/Metroid.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@believer258 said:

People don't buy Nintendo products for good tech. They buy them for a) novelty or b) Zelda/Mario/Metroid.

I bought a Wii for Batman Brave and the Bold, Madworld, and Redsteel 2

I played them all for a total of about 2 hours combined before I never touched the Wii again

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

I yonder people will start caring a lot more when developers start integrating new shaders, bumpmapping and particle effects on top of physics engine improvements to their games and the Wii U will have to take a step back to all of that.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Anund

All I know is, I bought a Wii just because my wife wanted to try Wii Fit. We've barely touched it. I seriously doubt I will buy a Wii-U. I am confused what they are aiming for. The casual crowd who bought the Wii won't be interested in the Wii-U since it seems to cater more to regular gamers. At the same time, regular gamers already have PS3s and 360s, machines which are equal in power to the Wii-U and play much the same games. I just don't see that many people buying a console just to play a new Mario game or a Zelda. Maybe I'm wrong.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By drac96

In the specific case of the Wii-U I actually care about the level of tech behind it. I normally don't with Nintendo consoles. However, with the Wii there were a whole bunch of games that could have benefited greatly from better hardware. The most recent game I played that fits this example is The Last Story. It had some pretty good visuals for the Wii, but that came at the price of an awful framerate for most of the game. Now things like that don't necessarily have to happen.

In general I also think that the better tech will allow Nintendo to do a lot more with the first party franchises that we all know and love. Will they actually do a lot more with them? Probably not, because they seem to release similar games constantly, but we can only hope.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@believer258 said:

They buy them for a) novelty or b) Zelda/Mario/Metroid.

I can confirm that those are the only franchises I bought my Wii for.

Still, some of the best games on any console, there.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Justin258

@GetEveryone said:

@believer258 said:

They buy them for a) novelty or b) Zelda/Mario/Metroid.

I can confirm that those are the only franchises I bought my Wii for.

Still, some of the best games on any console, there.

I disagree. I'm not even going to bother defending my position here, but I disagree on the grounds that Nintendo hasn't done much interesting in a long time.

EDIT: OK, stupid comment. To elaborate, Nintendo seems to have the talent, internally, to create something new and better. I do not mean another gimmick, either, I mean in terms of good games, a good new IP.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By avidwriter

@SomeDeliCook said:

@believer258 said:

I played them all for a total of about 2 hours combined before I never touched the Wii again

You are what is wrong with consoles.

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By muralbat

@believer258: Which company has done something interesting if I may ask?

I dont see anyone doing anything differently from each other. Anyways.

I care, I do. Because Wii U and PC are my choice for the next gen and I will flat out not buy an Xbox or a PS4 next gen. There is no need what so ever. Neither company does anything different from the other (except sonys much better online offering) the games are similar, the tech is similar everything about them is similar and the price will be similar and overpriced on the next gen as it was this one. I've never been a nintendo fan infact Wii was the first nintendo console I owned around the time of its release and 80% of the time it sat catching dust. However, when I played it, I loved it. Theres a great controller in the Wii U pro controller straight out of the box, that for a start is a plus, because I dont want to be waggling the whole time. The spec I am interested in because I believe with this sort of spec behind them developers can make special (in terms of quality) games for the Wii U and I know theres already games being developed for the Wii U and next gen which gives me a good feeling it'll have a nice future ahead of it.

I hate paying for online, unless you play with friends the online community on all platforms is pure bollocks. I love online with people who enjoy games who just want to play to have fun, Im quite happy coming last to have a laugh, but sitting in a room playing online with people screaming abuse at me down a headset, then when I stop playing they send me inbox's calling me all the names under the sun and I pay Microsoft for that? Wii U has online, so If I want to play it I can, thats enough for me. I dont care about putting fake clothes on my fake character online, and I don't care that there wont be achievements so people can see that I play games.

I just want a console that I'll enjoy to play along side my PC. Where I can jump to something different from the great titles I have on steam and that will be multi platform with PC and to get those kind of games I Think it will be the Wii U. The Wii has some truely fantastic games for the type I like and I dont see that changing with games like Wonderful 101 already being around. Im not saying xbox/microsoft doesn't have great exclusives, but they really don't interest me personally.

Sitting here seeing people argue all day and night over the Wii U is disheartening, I've never seen a community like it, We're on a game website, on a game forum, to talk about games and the medium we love and all people do is bash eachother about their preferences and make false statements like "The WII U will fail" or "xbox/ps4 will be so much better"

If you just like games regardless of who makes them, and you playing games for fun, and having generally having a good time please for the love of god, send me a PM and I'll add you to steam,xbl,psn,wii anything just to have some people who enjoy games to play games with.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bane122

I buy Nintendo consoles not for the tech, and not completely for the 1st party games, but also for the odd exclusives that seem to hit their systems. Game like, Eternal Darkness, No More Heroes, MGS Twin Snake, Super Monkey Ball, Mad World, the Rogue Squadron series, RE4, A Boy and His Blob, etc...

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

It's all about the games with Nintendo, and Wii U is certain to get them now. I think attempting greater realism on the upcoming other two consoles will be a costly endeavour at the developer end, significantly increasing the risk factor in a delicate period for the industry. Added to the fact some will not be willing to put down a large sum on a new display, or be happy about paying more for games. If and when Nintendo see fit, they can run the CPU clock higher, it's currently running conservatively. In addition to this developers will naturally find ways of harnessing the best from Wii U's unique qualities.

No Caption Provided
frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By frankfartmouth

I buy Nintendo consoles primarily for the first party games. I don't care one bit about the graphics. I have a high end PC that can max out any game, so I've got that fix already. So my Wii is a backup console, to be sure. Most of my gaming occurs on the PC. But I love Nintendo's games and just don't feel right missing out on them. Nintendo knows this is their main appeal, of course, and that's why they don't cater to the hardcore market. Might as well make the console cheap and make more money. Let the other two fight the spec war. I do think it's funny though how Nintendo always touts their graphics as mind-blowing. Um, not quite.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@avidwriter said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@believer258 said:

You are what is wrong with consoles.

Because I paid for stuff I wanted to play?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By vaiz

@Wong_Fei_Hung said:

It's all about the games with Nintendo, and Wii U is certain to get them now. I think attempting greater realism on the upcoming other two consoles will be a costly endeavour at the developer end, significantly increasing the risk factor in a delicate period for the industry. Added to the fact some will not be willing to put down a large sum on a new display, or be happy about paying more for games. If and when Nintendo see fit, they can run the CPU clock higher, it's currently running conservatively. In addition to this developers will naturally find ways of harnessing the best from Wii U's unique qualities.

No Caption Provided

Is this a joke post.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By TheMathlete

@muralbat: well said, my friend. I'll probably end up picking up a wii u sometime next year, once pikmin 3 and wonderful 101 are out.

I just want to play good games. It doesn't matter what platform they are on.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Justin258

@muralbat said:

@believer258: Which company has done something interesting if I may ask?

I dont see anyone doing anything differently from each other. Anyways.

I care, I do. Because Wii U and PC are my choice for the next gen and I will flat out not buy an Xbox or a PS4 next gen. There is no need what so ever. Neither company does anything different from the other (except sonys much better online offering) the games are similar, the tech is similar everything about them is similar and the price will be similar and overpriced on the next gen as it was this one. I've never been a nintendo fan infact Wii was the first nintendo console I owned around the time of its release and 80% of the time it sat catching dust. However, when I played it, I loved it. Theres a great controller in the Wii U pro controller straight out of the box, that for a start is a plus, because I dont want to be waggling the whole time. The spec I am interested in because I believe with this sort of spec behind them developers can make special (in terms of quality) games for the Wii U and I know theres already games being developed for the Wii U and next gen which gives me a good feeling it'll have a nice future ahead of it.

I hate paying for online, unless you play with friends the online community on all platforms is pure bollocks. I love online with people who enjoy games who just want to play to have fun, Im quite happy coming last to have a laugh, but sitting in a room playing online with people screaming abuse at me down a headset, then when I stop playing they send me inbox's calling me all the names under the sun and I pay Microsoft for that? Wii U has online, so If I want to play it I can, thats enough for me. I dont care about putting fake clothes on my fake character online, and I don't care that there wont be achievements so people can see that I play games.

I just want a console that I'll enjoy to play along side my PC. Where I can jump to something different from the great titles I have on steam and that will be multi platform with PC and to get those kind of games I Think it will be the Wii U. The Wii has some truely fantastic games for the type I like and I dont see that changing with games like Wonderful 101 already being around. Im not saying xbox/microsoft doesn't have great exclusives, but they really don't interest me personally.

Sitting here seeing people argue all day and night over the Wii U is disheartening, I've never seen a community like it, We're on a game website, on a game forum, to talk about games and the medium we love and all people do is bash eachother about their preferences and make false statements like "The WII U will fail" or "xbox/ps4 will be so much better"

If you just like games regardless of who makes them, and you playing games for fun, and having generally having a good time please for the love of god, send me a PM and I'll add you to steam,xbl,psn,wii anything just to have some people who enjoy games to play games with.

No first party companies, really. Everything interesting is either Indie or coming out of third parties, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Note that I'm not saying that Nintendo makes bad products - they don't, their games are good - but I know precisely what to expect out of a new Zelda or a new Mario just as much as I know what to expect of Black Ops 2 and Halo 4. I'm more interested in Dishonored and Far Cry 3, neither of which I'm entirely certain of.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By phantomzxro

Well it depends on what you mean as tech graphically or just the game pad (tablet) tech. I still think games are still king and that will bring the core gamers to the system. The tech of it is cool but it won't have the staying power to keep gamers. I want the Wii U tech to embrace the advances that the interfaces and online play the others systems have develop over this gen. I feel that will be more important in the long run because if they can get normal third party games on the system then they will be fine.

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By muralbat

I agree its not a bad thing, as long as I get enjoyment out of it then I'm okay with whoever makes the games. I agree Dishonoured looks good. I think I have a different outlook to 99.9% of the general gaming community when it comes to nintendo first part exclusives. I've never played a zelda game, I've played one metroid game on the game boy and I've only really put serious time into New Super Mario bros and Mario Galaxy 1 (althought i've played a lot of the other marios) so I guess im quite excited as for what to expect from those games and if I enjoy them I'll look forward to going back and looking and the Wii Releases and maybe further back.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By JoeyRavn

@BlueLantern1995 said:

The Wii which had prettty sh!tty quality

I... eh...

*shakes head*

*leaves thread*

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Wong_Fei_Hung: They have yet to show us they will do anything different in terms of the games you claim they excel at. Yes, they make some fantastic first party games, and a couple pretty awesome second party titles even, but beyond that, Nintendo hasn't done much since the SNES era to capture the third party demographic, which is the big one they need to focus on. They need to stay competitive so they can get the easy ports of the next generation. Failing in that, they are just setting themselves up for a repeat of the last generation. Excellent sales and a lot of unhappy gamers, and those lucky few who are happy to spend over $300 just to play 3 franchises that have already been overused to all hell.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By Levio

In hindsight, I don't get why Nintendo 1st party games are so popular. Zelda and Metroid are so pathetically stale at this point, as are the "New" mario games...

What's funny is that back in Mario's NES/SNES days, each game was far different than its predecessor, and now we have "New" games try to emulate them and fail because they do nothing more than repeat old concepts...

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Levio said:

In hindsight, I don't get why Nintendo 1st party games are so popular. Zelda and Metroid are so pathetically stale at this point, as are the "New" mario games...

Call of Duty. Battlefield. Halo. GTA. Assassin's Creed. Just Dance. FIFA. Madden. Gears of War. Other M? "It's too different, we don't like it!", cried fans around the world. How can you criticize Nintendo for being "pathetically stale" when most blockbuster franchises are too?

@Levio said:

What's funny is that back in Mario's NES/SNES days, each game was far different than its predecessor, and now we have "New" games try to emulate them and fail because they do nothing more than repeat old concepts...

Super Mario 64. Then Super Mario Sunshine was different from Super Mario 64. Super Mario Galaxy is different from those two as well. Super Mario 3D Land is its own thing, and the New games, as you say, try to emulate the feeling of the old NES Mario. They may succeed or not, but they are different from the rest of Mario sub-franchises at the moment. And that's just sticking to the "main" series. You also have Yoshi's Island, Paper Mario, the sports games, Luigi's Mansion, the Wario games...

You don't like Nintendo and there's no problem with that. But while that may be a valid opinion, you are completely ignoring that most of the best-selling games of 2011 and 2012 have done the exact same thing you are accusing Nintendo of doing. Do you actually question why any of those games is so popular?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dixavd

It matters to me because there is a chance that Square Enix is more likely to rerelease Kingdom Hearts (And or KH II) in HD now that Nintendo is in HD - they have been constant lately about having the series on both Nintendo and Sony systems so they might have wanted to release it when both manufacturers home consoles can play it (it's a long shot, but a man can dream). Also Nintendo makes the most high quality first and second party titles for the console they have to work with, so seeing things such as what the Xenoblade developer does with the WiiU is going to be amazing (something they have already said they are currently working on). Also, with the WiiU being more powerful but not drastically means that it can work like a stepping stone from the current casual gamers to try out and be amazed by what triple A titles can really pull off - if no one in the industry can find a way of turning those consumers into more 'hardcore' (hate that description) players then the industry will quickly stagnate and reach the limit of its current growth; and Nintendo seems the best fit to that (meaning them succeeding will ultimately be fantastic for the entire gaming industry.

While I am not pre-ordering the system for this year due to time/money constraints, it is still incredibly important for the WiiU to actually be a new console with quite the up in power than simply Wii with a new controller add-on.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By monkeyking1969

Tis true, people buy Nintendo for Mario, Link, and Samus. But, even the most loyal of them want GOOD versions of Mario, Link and Samus.

That's what has many Nintendo fans annoyed. Nintendo isnot providing a NEW an innovative game for Mario for launch as they should. The tech demo of Link seems to have not even been put front burner to make the Zelda game people want. And, there is an expectation of getting another merely another Metroid Other M instead of a proper thoughtful Samus game.

Pikman is great to have back. And, some sort of Pokemon updated to HD level would probaly make some people cry in the streets for joy. But, what really needs to happen is for Nionetndo to start doing right by all the properties with true HD and fresh looks with innovative gameplay. Nintendo need to do what they did with Mario 64, make a totally amzing game w/ Mario that sets a standard. They need be brave enough to rethink Zelda like they did for the first 3d game Ocarina of Time. Moreover, they need to fix and rub out the mess they allowed to occur with Other M, which was just a painful insult to the character of Samus.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bigandtasty

that title makes no sense

what the fuck else would people care about

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EVO

Most people dont care about graphics. If they did, the Wii wouldn't have sold as well as it did.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zekhariah

So far, it seems like the best case for Wii U is nintendo games. Mario can get by with relatively simple textures / overall appearance. And with the others you can go super basic on the graphics and say "art style" and any manner of low fidelity is acceptable if competently done (Nintendo already mentioned that there will be no attempts to do a highly detailed and textured Zelda like the tech demo for the next version).

What this leads to is irrelevance from 2014 onwards, but as long as your not expecting 3rd party games in the long term it hardly matters.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Dalai

Graphical quality doesn't matter as much as overall game quality and art style matters more to me than polygons and pixels. I'll take a game that looks like Kirby's Epic Yarn or Xenoblade Chronicles over any Call of Duty/Halo game and their equivalents.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By JasonR86

How many threads can be made that perpetuate gawking and bewilderment at the Wii U and Nintendo?

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ExplodeMode

I don't think the Wii Sold because of Nintendo exclusives. The gamecube and 64 had those (and they were great games) and the systems weren't sales monsters. I think the Wii sold well because it was aimed at a broader audience. You shake the controller and your guy on screen swings the tennis racket. It's as simple as it gets and people who felt alienated by traditional controllers felt welcome.

I don't know if the Wii U has that appeal, but if the Wii market comes along power wont matter. If they don't come along and you need the "core" audience that buys a ton of software, then it probably will matter in a year or so.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

it's pretty much about the games. people don't care about the tech of the game.

i think that the wii just sold a lot because people were interested in the motion controls. i knew a few people who bought one played it and then never touched it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Hunter5024

Yes, the reason people care about Nintendo is because of the exclusives, but if they didn't increase the quality of the tech then there would be no reason to make it. They couldn't increase the quality of their games without improving the tech, and their new console would be a shameless cash grab. So the reason people care about the tech is because they want to know what kind of graphics we'll be able to see in the next Zelda, and they want to know what kind of gameplay mechanics Nintendo can come up with now that they have more power.

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Personally I probably would have considered buying Wii U for the exclusives if the tech level had remained around the same level as Wii, and I know all my friends have had the same thought.

That's basically just allowing yourself to be exploited by a company through blind loyalty.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@ExplodeMode said:

I don't think the Wii Sold because of Nintendo exclusives. The gamecube and 64 had those (and they were great games) and the systems weren't sales monsters. I think the Wii sold well because it was aimed at a broader audience. You shake the controller and your guy on screen swings the tennis racket. It's as simple as it gets and people who felt alienated by traditional controllers felt welcome.

I don't know if the Wii U has that appeal, but if the Wii market comes along power wont matter. If they don't come along and you need the "core" audience that buys a ton of software, then it probably will matter in a year or so.

This. All of this. People on here might have bought the Wii because of the exclusives like Zelda and Mario. That ain't why the Wii sold like gangbusters. The Wii sold a butt load of units because "hey look I swing this thing and I can play tennis or bowling or golf!"

The Wii hit mass market appeal and became the thing everybody wanted including people who didn't play videogames. Those are the people who didn't care that it wasn't an HD system and couldn't get online and couldn't compete from a technical standpoint with the 360 and PS3. I could be wrong but I don't think all those people are getting on board for the Wii.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#35  Edited By Kidavenger

I think people are really underestimating the Wii U, It's a lot more powerful than people are giving it credit for and until the next gen Playstation and Xbox are announced all people can do is guess at how powerful they will be compared to the Wii U.

The only thing that is really questionable about the Wii U is it's online network capabilities which Nintendo hasn't addressed and looking at Nintendo's past efforts probably won't be very good.

jhudson3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By jhudson3

I preordered a Wii U because I have a PS3 and a PC. The 360's exclusives don't really interest me and I can get most games for my PC. I have a huge back log of games that can stick with me until the next Sony console comes with also a new price drop. The Wii U is going to be my system that I use when I watch TV, play a backlog of Wii games, and also play the Wii U exclusives such as Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, ZombiU, and others. The Wii U has a lot of new capabilities with the controller and I'm sure there will be a good amount of great games that come out of it. I have a portable 1 TB hard drive so memory isn't a big deal and the discs read at 22 MB/s. The Wii U has a lot of stuff that I am going to love with the new controller and I can't wait to play it. I can go into further detail if anyone wants to know more of why I want a Wii U but if you don't want, don't get it. Nothing I say can change your mind and I won't feel bad if the Wii U doesn't perform as well as I believe.

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Aronleon

I can safely say I dont care about graphics or tech power, if the system has the games I like I will buy it, the only reason I did not buy the Wii launch day besides there was no way to get one was because I had no interest in motion controls, so I went with a PS3. Same reason I have had a DS over the PSP more game I loved were on the DS. Now that the WiiU has a proper control I try my best to buy one but man all the stores I have ask already told me they are not taking anymore pre-orders.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#38  Edited By Slag

I don't think people care about the tech of the Wii U as long as it is "good enough" for good new games. It doesn't have to have the top graphics/framerate, just be in the ballpark.

However I definitely think they care quite a bit about the controller and the quality of online multiplayer.

Both of those are big question marks for the Wii U at the moment.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By crithon

infrastructural is more important then tech

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tarsier
I probably would have considered buying Wii U for the exclusives if the tech level had remained around the same level as Wii, and I know all my friends have had the same thought.

wow just wow

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MAGZine

@jhudson3 said:

I preordered a Wii U because I have a PS3 and a PC. The 360's exclusives don't really interest me and I can get most games for my PC. I have a huge back log of games that can stick with me until the next Sony console comes with also a new price drop. The Wii U is going to be my system that I use when I watch TV, play a backlog of Wii games, and also play the Wii U exclusives such as Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, ZombiU, and others. The Wii U has a lot of new capabilities with the controller and I'm sure there will be a good amount of great games that come out of it. I have a portable 1 TB hard drive so memory isn't a big deal and the discs read at 22 MB/s. The Wii U has a lot of stuff that I am going to love with the new controller and I can't wait to play it. I can go into further detail if anyone wants to know more of why I want a Wii U but if you don't want, don't get it. Nothing I say can change your mind and I won't feel bad if the Wii U doesn't perform as well as I believe.

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By muralbat

@Slag: I dont think they're as big question marks as they were when it was 'Project Cafe' We know now about Nintendo Network and its new gamertag/network ID for a single nintendo online username which will work over Wii U and 3DS and from what I've read of Madden, Fifa, CoD and the such the online multiplayer is working fine and as one would expect.

The gamepad I still think there are question marks over, but having the Wii Pro Controller means that there will be a lot of games that have a familiar feel. I assume all sports games will have Pro controller support, Black ops does as does Rayman so Im pleasantly optimistic over Wii U game controls for the future.

Less so however, with the games that will cater to the most casual of audiences. I think having the Wii Mote compatible from the start is great for some games and needed for BC obviously but I have this worrying feeling (not that it will effect me directly as I wont buy them) but that we will see casual games using purely Wii Mote and Nun chuck and holding back their own innovation in the face of profit. Which I cant say I'd blame them for.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Terramagi

I find it somewhat amusing how, prior to the Wii, the Nintendo "camp" refused to shut the fuck up about how I should "look at these fucking lighting effects in RE4. The PS2 version of the game is total shit compared to this, and it has CGI cutscenes instead of in-engine stuff that looks better." Or how the N64 had better filters. Or how the SNES had a better sound chip.

Funny how suddenly none of it matters when you end up on the shit end of the hardware.

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By muralbat

@Terramagi: Nawh...cute little troll

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By Yanngc33

The Wii was based off a gimmick that people had never seen before. Nintendo hit a goldmine of a niche. No one cared about the hardware, everyone just wanted to try Wii Bowling

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CJduke

I could care less about playing another Mario or Zelda game because they are the same exact games over and over again. I don't know why people get so mad about sequels with other franchises but Nintendo gets a free pass to make the same exact games over and over again for years. I also don't need a console that has the same tech as a console I already have, especially when I own a good PC. So no Wii U for me. And probably no PS4 or Xbox 720 either, PC is just so much better.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MAGZine

@CJduke said:

I could care less about playing another Mario or Zelda game because they are the same exact games over and over again. I don't know why people get so mad about sequels with other franchises but Nintendo gets a free pass to make the same exact games over and over again for years. I also don't need a console that has the same tech as a console I already have, especially when I own a good PC. So no Wii U for me. And probably no PS4 or Xbox 720 either, PC is just so much better.

Do you actually read the forums, or do you just blindly comment?

Also, being completely fair, Nintendo first party DEVELOPS so many different pieces of IP. I dare you to find any studio that develops more unique franchises.They also beat the hell out of many publishers in the same category. Donkey Kong, Zelda, Mario (Wario, Luigi) (also inc. all sub franchises: Paper, Kart, NSMB, Brawl), Kirby, Pikmin, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, Yoshi.

I'm actually a bit confused what more people want from Nintendo. NO, A DEVELOPER MUST COME UP WITH x NEW FRANCHISES YEARLY, OR THEY ARE DOING IT WRONG. Now, take Infinity Ward, Bungie for example. Those are studios worthy of criticism.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ace829

@MAGZine said:

@CJduke said:

Also, being completely fair, Nintendo first party DEVELOPS so many different pieces of IP. I dare you to find any studio that develops more unique franchises.They also beat the hell out of many publishers in the same category. Donkey Kong, Zelda, Mario (Wario, Luigi) (also inc. all sub franchises: Paper, Kart, NSMB, Brawl), Kirby, Pikmin, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, Yoshi.

I'm actually a bit confused what more people want from Nintendo. NO, A DEVELOPER MUST COME UP WITH x NEW FRANCHISES YEARLY, OR THEY ARE DOING IT WRONG. Now, take Infinity Ward, Bungie for example. Those are studios worthy of criticism.

Not to start a Sega vs. Nintendo war out of nowhere, but Sega has developed as much, if not more, unique IPs as Ninetendo has. Now fleshing them out as much as Nintendo has is a completely different story. :(

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CJduke

@MAGZine said:

@CJduke said:

Yeah and people all the time, including right in this discussion, say they buy Nintendo products for the exclusives like Mario and Zelda. I just don't understand why people haven't gotten tired of those games yet. I guess maybe because they aren't on a yearly or two year cycle? I guess that would make sense. Also, I don't think they need to come up with any new franchises at all, I just think they need to make a new type of zelda and a new type of mario rather than just having the same format over and over again. So no need to rage so hard

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MAGZine

@CJduke: don't get me wrong... I'm not raging, it's just an observation that I've made.

I don't get "new Zelda". That's like "yeah, the whole Lord of the Rings thing is redone... they need to redo it". That whole premise is wrong. If Zelda games weren't Zelda games, they wouldn't be Zelda games!! As for new Mario... SMB, Paper Mario, 64, NSMB, Kart. brawl arguably, party... The franchises are very well fleshed out, but people always seem to expect them to open entire new avenues for some reason. You don't expect an entire new theme/style each time a new McDonalds or Subway opens, do you? The argument of "well, it's the same..." is old, boring and the same. If you buy every Mario and Zelda game and are surprised when they don't come up with an entire new premise each go around, I think you're misunderstanding the point of games in a franchise/series...