• 66 results
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ch3burashka

I'm bummed out by the lack of video reviews. Sure, they've basically 'moved on' from video reviews, changed their direction in terms of what kind of content they produce, etc, etc. There's still Quick Looks, still the possibility of yet another Endurance Run sometime in the future, the TNT and the Friday Happy Hour. However, I'd like to publicly pour one out for the video reviews, and maybe reminisce a little.

Seeing as how reminiscing about video reviews is a little weird, I'll instead posit a question - do you miss video reviews and if so, what was one you liked and what would you like to see them video review in the future?

I especially liked the subtle touches at the end of some of the reviews, specifically the ending of the Alan Wake VR - the obvious joke was made, and it was hilarious.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Jeff has stated on Formspring as well as on Twitter that they just aren't set-up to record them the way that want to right now. The GameSpot review recording studio is set up to record audio that then can be dubbed over game footage (i.e. the IGN or Gametrailers model), but you don't have any live footage of the reviewer in the video review.

It's a plan to one day to get the set up to get back to the way it was, but as Vinny and Dave have stated on subscriber videos the locations for recording videos are constantly in flux. I have my fingers crossed because stuff like the Modern Warfare 3 video review are nothing short of amazing.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bocam

*Insert defense copypasta here*

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By JoeyRavn

Any sort video content is always OK in my book, but video reviews are not something that I've ever specially cared for. They don't offer anything substantially better than a written review, at least not enough to justify the greater effort.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By nightriff

I would take just more written reviews, video reviews are second on my agenda

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@ZombiePie: I just looked at the review and got an ad for E Sports Starcraft 2, I now passionately hate you.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By veektarius

Video reviews are all right, but GB has had a tendency to release video reviews after written reviews, and then read much of the written review verbatim over the video review, making them kind of redundant. If I had to pick a focus for more content, it'd be older or overlooked games, and preferably ones that can be easily acquired via digital download

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By handlas

Eh.. i prefer quicklooks and then a written review afterward myself. I don't miss video reviews.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It is my opinion that the Giant Bomb crew has gone incredibly lazy on the editorial and professionally-created side of content because we've become nothing but gushing fans who want nothing but a laugh and who dare not criticize or even critique their work. They moved to the CBS studios like 12 years ago, they're still not ready? Without being angry or offensive or anything, I think they're slowly turning into nothing but a comedy team who play games on video.

Probably why I canceled my sub.

weeber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By weeber

Isn't a quick look a video review?

You get to know how they feel about the game and see the game being played.

A lot of quick looks have made me want to buy or not buy a game, more so than any video review.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aetheldod

I pefer video review than written why? Usually the show the goods and bads instead of trying to put it in words .... no place to shoot it? yeah right ¬_¬

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Wemibelle

@handlas said:

Eh.. i prefer quicklooks and then a written review afterward myself. I don't miss video reviews.

This exactly. I don't really see a need for one.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DoctorWelch

You have to understand that video reviews take a shit ton of time and energy to make, and there aren't that many people on the GB staff. One video review has to take up so much of the reviewer's and Vinny's/Drew's time that it basically isn't feasible for them to make them at the time. I'd really love for them to eventually do more of them when they staff up a little or what not.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@handlas said:

This, or more specifically I love quick looks and don't really care that much for the reviews. The only game reviews I enjoy reading are when someone's pissed about how hard a game is and then lowers the score on everything else as a result (usually an IGN thing; but its happened at gamespot, destructoid, etc as well).

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

Like others here, I don't think that the video reviews are necessary, and I don't really miss them. If a game has a quick look (well, a quick look where the crew gives an actual damn) and a text review, that's more than enough for me.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Animasta

@AhmadMetallic said:

It is my opinion that the Giant Bomb crew has gone incredibly lazy on the editorial and professionally-created side of content because we've become nothing but gushing fans who want nothing but a laugh and who dare not criticize or even critique their work. They moved to the CBS studios like 12 years ago, they're still not ready? Without being angry or offensive or anything, I think they're slowly turning into nothing but a comedy team who play games on video.

let's be fair here, the subscribers content was ALWAYS that.

barring like 5% of behind the scenes stuff

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Getz

@AhmadMetallic said:

Giant Bomb isn't even 12 years old you twat

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By RazielCuts

They just moved to new offices, there's no games out, people are sick, yadda yadda yadda. But honestly, who cares about Video Reviews really? We have Quick Looks and the Bombcast that generally tell us about how the peeps at GB feel about a game so yeah, other than concise production values whats the point?

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Barrabas

@Weeber said:

You get to know how they feel about the game and see the game being played.

A lot of quick looks have made me want to buy or not buy a game, more so than any video review.

No. Often they haven't played much of the game at all at the time of the quick looks. In fact the only times this isn't the case is when it's a game they are also reviewing, or a game that one member of the crew is personally invested in. Games are capable of starting out seeming good, and then getting much worse as they go on. For this reason you should never treat quick looks like a review.

ghostNPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ghostNPC

I've never really liked video reviews much, they don't really have much point to them. They basically reitterate exactly what they've already said in the quicklook, text review and podcast.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NegativeCero

I don't really miss them since I can get them elsewhere. I usually find it weird to watch one after reading a review because it is basically the text read out loud anyway.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Remember when they were moving into the office almost a year ago and all giddy with plans to knock down walls and remodel the whole area? Yeah well Patrick will go through puberty before that happens and they are most likely unhappy with their space/equipment. Remember how excited they were about the green room? Now they can't even use it and have to hold TNT in the shittiest local since it started (oh wow, Nyan cat and strobe lights!). This "video reviews are too energy intensive/small staff" crap is a bunch crap. They were putting out more content, with endurance runs, with video reviews, with less staff, in years that had more games. Shit they made rap videos and limp dick commercials back in the day.

Also, a 5 minute video review serves a different purpose than a 50 min quick look, a 3 hour podcast, or reading. Not everyone wants the GB crew to sit on their faces like we do. And fuck reading.

In short, they probably can't do what the want to do because of the new corporate bosses, and as a result, cut the content they never really cared about in the first place (video reviews).

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By gamer_152

Yeah, I kinda miss them. They weren't the worst thing we could have lost, but as videos they were easily consumable and I always liked the presentation on them. Hopefully they can get everything set up so they can record them properly again, but I understand there are more important parts of the site to focus on, at least for now.

Bobstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bobstar

@Getz said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Giant Bomb isn't even 12 years old you twat

What a stupid response.

Btw I agree with you completely

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

Remember when they were moving into the office almost a year ago and all giddy with plans to knock down walls and remodel the whole area? Yeah well Patrick will go through puberty before that happens and they are most likely unhappy with their space/equipment. Remember how excited they were about the green room? Now they can't even use it and have to hold TNT in the shittiest local since it started (oh wow, Nyan cat and strobe lights!). This "video reviews are too energy intensive/small staff" crap is a bunch crap. They were putting out more content, with endurance runs, with video reviews, with less staff, in years that had more games. Shit they made rap videos and limp dick commercials back in the day.

Also, a 5 minute video review serves a different purpose than a 50 min quick look, a 3 hour podcast, or reading. Not everyone wants the GB crew to sit on their faces like we do. And fuck reading.

In short, they probably can't do what the want to do because of the new corporate bosses, and as a result, cut the content they never really cared about in the first place (video reviews).

Fuck reading indeed good sir. Wait I just read your post, what the fuck!?

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zekhariah

I prefer proper reviews to be text, so I'm okay with the video reviews from being cut-out.

Although it might be a matter of how video reviews I've seen tend toward breaking downdown seperate graphics/gameplay/sound/etc section styles (so older games). So maybe GB could do it better.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ares42

@AhmadMetallic said:

I sorta agree, although it seems to me that the problem is sorta deeper. It's hard to know the details, but it seems to me like with the move back to CBS they now have an even bigger role in management and it's stifling the content of the site. At some point they're gonna have to start thinking about hiring in some more "non-content" people that can take care of things while the gang focus on the content themselves. Or maybe they've become a bit too ownerous about the site and are just completely unwilling to lose control. Either way, the site is sorely lacking pure content creators. But then again maybe they've just decided that doing 1-2 reviews per week, 4-6 QLs, two 2+ hour live shows and a cast per week is enough content and the users are unjustly expecting a busier site. There's always something to be said for not oversaturing a market.

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wafflez

Didn't they ask once during a live stream what people wouldn't mind being cut and video reviews won by a landslide? They (vinny) said they take a lot of time compared to everything else they do and cutting them would free up Him/Drew for other editing purposes. Or maybe it was another Giantbomb dream I had..

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Nubster

Wait, people still aren't happy with the video content? We've been fucking drowning in QLs and Sub Content for the past few weeks, what the cunt do you fucks want from these guys? For them to come to your house and suck your dick while complimenting your interior design sensibilities? Fucking christ.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ares42

@The_Nubster said:

Wait, people still aren't happy with the video content? We've been fucking drowning in QLs and Sub Content for the past few weeks, what the cunt do you fucks want from these guys? For them to come to your house and suck your dick while complimenting your interior design sensibilities? Fucking christ.

The problem the way I see it is that they're more or less only operating on a 3 day schedule for non-subs. Monday has ILM which is pretty much a joke at the moment, Tuesday-Thursday they have 1-3 QLs per day, the Bombcast and TNT and Friday is Sub stream. I dunno, maybe it's just become much more apparent with the "upcoming" ticker, but it feels like most days there is no reason to check up on the site. I can't help but think that they used to do more pre-planned content on fridays that got published on mondays (like they're doing this week), although it might just be my memory playing games on me.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By august

Video reviews are totally useless on this site. Producing one would be a waste of time.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Nubster

@Ares42: Mondays is the day where Jeff does his silly cell-phone video (which I can get not liking, but I love how rough it is, because it's often 15 minutes of the crew shooting the shit) and all of the QL's get recorded. Tuesday all the way to Friday has, as you said, 1-3 QLs per day which is back to how it was before the acquisition, the Bombcast is a weekly 2.5-3 hours of content, TNT is a weekly 1.5-2 hour piece of content, and and Sub videos are often 3-4 hours long (and the previous Breaking Brad stretched nearly 6). The site is back in its swing, as promised, and it seems that people just can't get over the fact that they needed time to re-structure, and are sour about those dry months. I can understand where the complaint used to be coming from, because the content was lacking, but now it's back up and running. I just can't wrap my head around what there is left to complain about, in terms of the general spread of content on the site. They've never been a content-fountain, but people seem to remember GB as a huge, constant stream of videos when that just isn't the case.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By PerryVandell

The thing is video reviews aren't really necessary. Between the written review, quick look and podcast discussions, most reviewed games are already covered to the point where a video review is just overkill. Also, as someone who made a video review, those things take a fucking eternity to make. You have to write a script specific to the video review so you aren't just reading your written review (because we don't talk the same way we write), and find specific video clips that demonstrate what you're talking about. Granted, I've only made a single video review and am sure making multiple ones would speed up the process as I became more comfortable, but it's still time-consuming. I'd also much rather have a 30-45 minute video with gameplay and commentary than a 5-6 minute video review that sums up what was already written. I still enjoy video reviews, but I won't feel like I missed something if a game doesn't have one.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Animasta

@Ares42 said:

@The_Nubster said:

The problem the way I see it is that they're more or less only operating on a 3 day schedule for non-subs. Monday has ILM which is pretty much a joke at the moment,

a joke at the moment? what the hell does that mean?

new ILM are way better

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By csl316

Video reviews are cool. But if they're just word for word rehashes of the written thing it's a lot of time that can be used elsewhere.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JZ

Do you want video reviews or something actually good? Those take time and work that could be used on something else.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By wjb

I've been fine with the way they've been operating since the summer.

As someone who reads the actual review, video reviews aren't that big of a deal. They just kind of reiterated what I already read. The only thing I'll miss is Vinny or Drew's crazy edits.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BraveToaster

@Weeber said:

No, those are two entirely different video types.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laserbolts

I don't really miss them but it would be nice if they did one here and there. Any content for non members is a good thing for the site. Besides quick looks and those I love Mondays things the content for us freeloaders is pretty lacking. While I understand them trying to make the premium membership more worth it it would be nice if they made some of their features free for everyone sometimes. Went off topic there but what the hell?

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By Barrabas

@laserbolts said:

I don't really miss them but it would be nice if they did one here and there. Any content for non members is a good thing for the site. Besides quick looks and those I love Mondays things the content for us freeloaders is pretty lacking. While I understand them trying to make the premium membership more worth it it would be nice if they made some of their features free for everyone sometimes. Went off topic there but what the hell?

Were you big into the intern content? Because other than losing all that content during the move things aren't really less than they've been, just the same. I can see things getting kind of stale though. Maybe they need to come up with some sort of new content for non-subscribers that isn't a one-off. Recently everything goes to subscribers. I know video reviews aren't the answer to that because they never did very many of them. It was like a handful a year. I think in the least they should give something that is normally premium to everyone once a month like they did with the Whiskey Media: Happy Hour.

helios1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By helios1337

I would prefer a watchable version of ILM again and maybe those additional episodes of TANG they said were in the works a year ago.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@AhmadMetallic said:

It isn't their fault that administration is a pain in the ass when you aren't the one administrating yourself. Trust me, I've dealt with administration enough to know most of the stuff they are having troubles getting started up again is very unavoidable from their side, and mostly from the administration's side too. I learned never to blame someone who has to go through administration back in high school, when I had to wait 4 and a half hours and miss most of my classes that day, including a major test, all because the assistant principle was too much of an idiot to call me when he was ready. Since then, I've hardly ever had any experiences that were made quick and easy by administration. Sometimes that is understandable, sometimes it isn't. Either way, no point in blaming the Giantbomb guys when they have been going out of their way to try and get this stuff done only to be uprooted every time they get something going. There's a reason they've only just recently managed to get a place to do their live stuff in the way they like to do it, despite having used like three other spaces prior to this one. THere is more going on than before, when they were a few small website staffs in one building. Now they are in a huge building with a lot of people being managed, and that means that things take a long time. And a lot of that isn't something they have control over.

I also never really enjoyed the Video Reviews. They just felt like truncated written reviews. I prefer Quick Looks and written reviews a hell of a lot.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ares42

@The_Nubster: @Animasta: This is gonna sound harsh (as I just woke up and can't think of a better way to say it), but for anyone that comes to the site for videogame coverage and isn't in love with gang ILM is just a mess. I get that there's a bunch of people that comes to this site just to experience the personalities at this point, but it wouldn't hurt the site to have some more straight up informational content.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

I've just been bummed by a 1.02 advert.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By guiseppe

While video reviews certainly would be nice, I feel I get what I need form Quick Looks.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By coakroach

Of all the videos on the site the least interesting are the video reviews.

They're also for the most part useless in informing purchasing decisions, at least for me.

So yeah, good riddance.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By forkboy

@Helios1337 said:

I would prefer a watchable version of ILM again and maybe those additional episodes of TANG they said were in the works a year ago.

I'm sorry, how is ILM not watchable any more? Because it's not shot on a green screen with a pro grade camera? Isn't the important thing about ILM the part where they inform us what's going on on the site this week, rather than the visual content? I mean if they were filming game footage or TNT etc on a phone camera then sure, get upset about it. If you can't watch it then minimise the window & listen, maybe play some game trailers on mute in the background to simulate the effect if you want it so bad.

Plus in old format ILM you would never get Brad's look of shock/disgust at being filmed so damn early in the morning.