Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age?

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mrfizzy

Hey, just finished the first Mass Effect and am now looking at getting a new game and am tossing up between Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins. Should i keep going straight into Mass Effect 2 or try something different with Dragon Age? Thoughts? 

TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TimeWaffle

Mass Effect 2 by far if you have a 360

bozosc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By bozosc

mass effect 2 haven't really gotten into dragon age but mass effect 2 is by far the better game

Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Jikla

depends if you want an real RPG or a TPS. If you don't have a good enough pc for dragon age and only got an xbxox 360 you should totally go for ME 2.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422

It depends what you're in for more really. I'm not gonna compare these two games at all. Entirely different type of game.

Chyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chyro
@pause422: 

Yup.  

If you played Baldur's Gate 2 or Icewind Dale and those are some of your favorite games.  Go with Dragon Age.   If you really dug ME1, ME2 is more of the same but better in almost every way. 
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jkz
@Chyro said:
" @pause422:   Yup.    If you played Baldur's Gate 2 or Icewind Dale and those are some of your favorite games.  Go with Dragon Age.   If you really dug ME1, ME2 is more of the same but better in almost every way.  "
^This
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

Mass Effect 2 if you want more shooting action, Dragon Age if you want a more tactical and traditional RPG.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ApertureSilence

Dragon Age is really old fashioned, whereas Mass Effect 2 is so progressive and modern, many RPG fans won't even acknowledge it as an RPG.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ravensword

Honestly, there games for two different people. Mass Effect for the Star wars kinda space nerds, while Dragon age is fror DND nerds.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Skald

I personally like Dragon Age. I'll go into the details later.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Burns098356GX

I have DAO. I can't say Im a big fan. Its OK, but ME2 blows it away. Play it after ME2.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mrfizzy

Yeah, just went and bought ME2. Fun times ahead!!! 

Gylfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gylfi

Oh man I've been pondering this for some time and I knew I would have to reply to one of these threads so has anyone really been as far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

Definitely Mass Effect 2. I think it's better in every way - characters are far more intriguing and have more depth and interaction, the universe of Dragon Age is nothing compared to the amount of lore and information you will get in the Mass Effect games, ME2 looks way better, has great Shooter and RPG hybrid elements bundled together in a much faster and more intense game, and of course the story in ME2 is top notch - the Mass Effect team are masters of tension and until you finish Mass Effect 2 you won't know what I mean. When I think of the better Bioware to come out recently, it's definitely Mass Effect 2. I put about 110 hours into it so far across 3 characters - 63 hours for my first playthrough (experiencing everything there is to experience), 40 for my Insanity playthrough and  I'm at around 5-6 hours for my third playthrough I just started. 

And I've only described a small portion of the reason why I like it better. 

Especially after playing Mass Effect 1, ME2 would be perfect for you to play right now. 

@Gylfi said:

" Oh man I've been pondering this for some time and I knew I would have to reply to one of these threads so has anyone really been as far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? "
Look more like what? What are you doing? Man, that's a really messed up way to word things... I have no idea even how to think about that in my head
MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By MadBootsy
Both.
KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By KingBroly

Probably Mass Effect 2 because it's shorter.  Lots of content isn't always a good thing.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EvilTwin

You're not giving us very much information, but I would say that if you even have to think about this, you probably didn't enjoy Mass Effect that much. 

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Which has the better story? At this point that's my main concern.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Undeadpool
@MarkWahlberg:  I'd say they're a dead heat. I think Mass Effect 2 has better characters, but Dragon Age has a better plot. 

It really depends on what you want out the game. Mass Effect 2 is WAY more shooter than RPG, and that's not a bad thing because it manages the action and storytelling really well. Dragon Age is a PURE RPG, as pure as any that have come out in years. 
But if you're going for console I'd go for ME2. I'm no PC elitist, but Dragon Age is REALLY meant to be played on a PC, though I've heard it's competent on the 360. ME2 seems like it was designed for it, though. 
Edit: As an addendum: I think what Mass Effect 2 achieves is great. Dragon Age is a great game and a great RPG, but it's still a fantasy RPG of which there are TONS. ME2 is a great sci-fi RPG which makes it stand out more and much more of a rarity.
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayzilla

depends on if you like fantasy or squad based shooters really. you can't compare the two games.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Skald

Herein lies the problem: Mass Effect makes a stronger first impression, but Dragon Age a way better game to play over and over again. I finished Mass Effect 2 twice, and it didn't feel near as exciting on the second playthrough, whereas Dragon Age has a huge quantity of stuff that needs doing, often with more than one outcome. Since I think they are both games of the highest quality, I'd recommend anyone asking this question eventually get both. They are different in many ways, however, they are both really good and involving video games.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hourai

Mass Effect 2, definitely. While Dragon Age is great, ME2 is a fucking masterpiece. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

I can't stand having huge ai driven parties in an active combat system. Im playing Baldur's Gate 2 right now and its a huge headache, the game was clearly not made to handle 6 ais, fools get caught in every entryway. 6 is just too many. 

Avatar image for natural_deadhead
natural_deadhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By natural_deadhead

Get them both if you're rich. For me, it would be a question of what I liked better, sci-fi, or fantasy? So, maybe you should ask yourself that.
Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Novyx

Pretty sure he already said that he bought ME2, so the arguments here are a bit moot.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By armaan8014
@mrfizzy:
Since you just finished ME1, it's obvious you should continue the story and get into ME2..
Have fun
Avatar image for natural_deadhead
natural_deadhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By natural_deadhead

Well, I do recommend Dragon Age, as it is a very enthralling experience.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29  Edited By delta_ass

ME2 makes Dragon Age look really bad.

Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

i went back to DAO after playing me2 (all on pc). I appreciate DA a lot more for some reason now, and damn that game rules hard and I don't even like dragons

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust

I'd like to know that platform you are playing the games on.  I see from your color-alignment that you are an Xbox 360 fan, so that leads me to believe you will be playing both on the 360.  If this is the case, then I suggest you stick with the Mass Effect franchise.  Dragon Age: Origins is my favorite game, but it is primarily a PC experience.  It looks better, controls better, manages better and can be modded to fix the glaring defects Bioware left in the game.  On the PC, despite the silent protagonist, it is a deeply enriching game.  On the other hand, Mass Effect 2 on the 360 is just fun.  Shepard is a bad-ass even when playing Paragon.  The shooting and biotic combat is smoother, the dreaded MAKO is gone, and the settings of each adventure are unique from each other.  Gone are the cookie-cutter worlds of ME1 and in are levels that have a look entirely their own.  The conversations and personalities of your teammates in both games is way above average.  

If you're smart, you'll get both eventually, so it comes down to where are you playing it.  If you have a decent PC with the recommended specs (not the required specs), then play Dragon Age: Origins and experience a challenging world that can be revisited many times with distinct results.  If your only choice is a 360, go for Mass Effect 2 and enjoy a thrill ride of an adventure across the cosmos.  Oh, and there will be scanning!

@Novyx:  I saw that after I posted.  There is 33 minutes between his 1st post and when he announces he bought ME2.  I think it's great that he got the game, but did he even bother to wait for a few answers? 

TheHonestGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheHonestGamer

Dragon Age because it's a true RPG, Mass Effect 2 is a third-person shooter disguised as a RPG. So Mass Effect 2 is a RPG for fratboys a.k.a Xbots a.k.a. Halo fans.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#33  Edited By delta_ass
@TheHonestGamer said:
" Dragon Age because it's a true RPG, Mass Effect 2 is a third-person shooter disguised as a RPG. So Mass Effect 2 is a RPG for fratboys a.k.a Xbots a.k.a. Halo fans. "
I don't think that's true.
Belrevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strangely I had DA:O first and i loved it, then I got ME2 just to use my Blood Dragon Armor code and Loved ME2 even more. IMO the ME series is better because there are more classes to choose from and you're choices from the previous games affects the game more. But both games are very good

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jimbo

At this point you should probably just wait for Dragon Age 2. I hear it's going to offer the best of both worlds and bound to be amazing.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on the type of gameplay you prefer.Dragon age is a true rpg and requires more strategy,Mass Effect is more action-y.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You should play both at some point but if you only just beat Mass Effect, then I would suggest Dragon Age Origins so that you won't get burnt out on Mas...

@jimbo said:

At this point you should probably just wait for Dragon Age 2. I hear it's going to offer the best of both worlds and bound to be amazing.

Wait a minute. This is why I really dislike necros.