RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RandomHero666

Hi, I'm RH.

Im here to talk about Media's Views on us Gamers and Games in general.

I was pretty pissed off to open todays newspaper, if you would even call the shitty tabloid that is the Daily Star a newspaper, only to read the following on page 13.

A German computer nut killed a Brit student as if he were an enemy in a war game.

David Heiss, 21, planned the stabbing with chilling precision using tactics he honed playing advance wars.. police said.... Blah Blah skip some bullshit about his sob story love life to..... Detective Tony blah blah said: he planned the murder like a strategist in one of his war games, he is the most callous, cold hearted individual i have ever dealt with.

Whats next? Horse murder pinned onto Oblivion?
WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

I too hate the way the mass media portray's gaming, but the same can be said of anything the media portrays, they look to exploit any situation and purposefully twist infomation as make it look as shocking as possible, so more people buy their magazine or watch their article.
Gaming's being treated the same way as rock music or D&D was treated, hopefully they'll tire of it and move onto something else in a few years.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Keyser_Soze

The media, oh the news media.... They will have their mouths permanently shut in a short while, and no one will cry FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Chummy8

Violent crime?  It has to be linked to video games.

Ever hear about the guy who learned how to efficiently stack objects by playing Tetris?  Only to bury his sister to death under a mass of multi-colored blocks?

(If that actually did happen, it'd be brilliant.)

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RandomHero666
Keyser_Soze said:
"The media, oh the news media.... They will have their mouths permanently shut in a short while, and no one will cry FREEDOM OF SPEECH."
Im 100% for freedom of speech, but Media, mainly misinformed tabloids really grind my gears, now some similarly misinformed parents wont let their kids play Advance Wars.

TekZero said:
"Violent crime?  It has to be linked to video games.Ever hear about the guy who learned how to efficiently stack objects by playing Tetris?  Only to bury his sister to death under a mass of multi-colored blocks?(If that actually did happen, it'd be brilliant.)"
True.. that would be brilliant :P
albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By albedos_shadow

Dude... Advance Wars? Advance Wars is like the most nonviolent strategy game in history.

Swish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Swish

Well the base of the matter is its just fear mongering, the media sees games as not only a scapegoat but a popular scapegoat that they can easily persuade an ignorant audiance (like someone who watches fox news), to be afraid of the consequences it is having on society, so they not only buy some kind of anti-pixel condom for protection but also forget about the hundreds of torture cases that were released and nobody really noticed.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RandomHero666
albedos_shadow said:
"Dude... Advance Wars? Advance Wars is like the most nonviolent strategy game in history."
Exactly!!
Blaming a stabbing on advance wars is like blaming a Shooting on PacMan
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crunchUK
RandomHero666 said:
"albedos_shadow said:
"Dude... Advance Wars? Advance Wars is like the most nonviolent strategy game in history."
Exactly!!
"
i think u mean cannibalism :P
rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rerty

It's not games its gamers. Most kids who sit in their house playing video games 20+ hours a week are socially retarted. They cannot interact normally and most likely only have other "gamer" friends who are the same as them. Then again this is a video game forum sooo I guess you have to defend video games. Well if it makes you feel any better we have a liberal government and I don't think they'll be taking away our precious video games anytime soon.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JoelTGM
crunchUK said:
"RandomHero666 said:
"albedos_shadow said:
Exactly!!
"
i think u mean cannibalism :P"
No, he means that you can't plan a stabbing from playing Advance Wars because there is no stabbing in that game, just like there is no shooting in pac man.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Black_Rose

wow...Advance Wars...just wow

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Chummy8

I struggle to believe this article.  Blaming a stabbing on advance wars?  It's like saying Final Fantasy 7 promoted terrorism.

Swish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Swish
rerty said:
"It's not games its gamers. Most kids who sit in their house playing video games 20+ hours a week are socially retarted. They cannot interact normally and most likely only have other "gamer" friends who are the same as them. Then again this is a video game forum sooo I guess you have to defend video games. Well if it makes you feel any better we have a liberal government and I don't think they'll be taking away our precious video games anytime soon."

Wait what I'm not socially retarded, I just don't sleep well and happen to go a gaming college that has halo 3 and guitar hero in the lunch-room. By the way arn't you kind of contradicting yourself because if they have gamer friends then they can't be socially retarted... they have friends.
DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonPixel

Well, I think it`s all about to bussines.   I have the perception that traditional media mostly Television see gamming as a treath.. with people spending more and more time in interactive entreteiment they are losing audience, therefore they lose money and power.  

If you think about it.. there has been none or a very few attempts to make a good video game show on mainstream televesion, with games like COD4, Halo and Gears selling the numbers they sell.. you can`t say there`s no market for it... most of gamming related media is on the internet, but don you think that some mix betewn gametrailers.com and your regular sport show could be made?.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snipzor

People don't worry, this is cyclical, they have been doing this for centuries with every other media enterprise we can think of. It always ends the same way, which is a stalemate. Now society who follows the trend of bashing new medias and pinning violence on the same new medias tend to get more extreme (As we have seen with this, Advanced Wars WHARGARBL) which shows it is on its last ropes. With Grand Theft Childhood out in the mainstream, this insanity will only be pushed further back into the fringe.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chummy8
Swish said:
"rerty said:
"It's not games its gamers. Most kids who sit in their house playing video games 20+ hours a week are socially retarted. They cannot interact normally and most likely only have other "gamer" friends who are the same as them. Then again this is a video game forum sooo I guess you have to defend video games. Well if it makes you feel any better we have a liberal government and I don't think they'll be taking away our precious video games anytime soon."
Wait what I'm not socially retarded, I just don't sleep well and happen to go a gaming college that has halo 3 and guitar hero in the lunch-room. By the way arn't you kind of contradicting yourself because if they have gamer friends then they can't be socially retarted... they have friends. "

Socially retarded in this context applies to making friends outside of gaming.  Because a gamer's friends are also gamers, then they probably also have trouble making friends outside of a headset.

But that's the subject of a different thread.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ
rerty said:
Thanks.  Thanks for that.  So, I guess you also have a problem with mentally retarded people too, then?
Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Keyser_Soze
TekZero said:
"I struggle to believe this article.  Blaming a stabbing on advance wars?  It's like saying Final Fantasy 7 promoted terrorism. "
The Avalanche were TERRORISTS!!! They wanted to take down the pure, holy, blessed Shinra Corp.
dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#20  Edited By dudacles

It's Germany man. They're really anal about that stuff.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Snipzor
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Jensonb
RandomHero666 said:
"I was pretty pissed off to open todays newspaper, if you would even call the shitty tabloid that is the Daily Star a newspaper, only to read the following on page 13."
I do not consider that rag to be a newspaper, no.
CheeseFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By CheeseFanatic
rerty said:
If I remember correctly, didn't Hillary Clinton and a bunch of other liberals run some campaign against violent games? We still had a conservative government headed by Bush at that time. The party in power doesn't have any effect on this issue!

Due to the sometimes controversial content in games, there are always going to be people who blame everything little problem in society on them. For this case, it's obvious that the detective has a lack of substantial evidence and motive so he blamed the whole murder on a video game. He probably also did it so that he could get attention.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24  Edited By the8bitNacho

I have personally learned all of my life's lessons and skills from Advance Wars.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Keyser_Soze
Kombat said:
"I have personally learned all of my life's lessons and skills from Advance Wars."
Served.