Need a good Action RPG (or just plain old RPG)

Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Zaph

I've never been a big fan of RPG's in general, but after being persuaded to play Mass Effect by a friend, I caught the bug.

So far I've played through Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and just recently The Witcher. What I enjoyed the most about all of these was the option to focus on real time action. Hell, in Mass Effect you could pretty much have the computer handle most of the RPG elements and play it like a FPS. 

I've also seen a few videos of Diablo 3 and I'm loving what I see so far. But Diablo 2 is just too old for me to go back and play.

Are there any other recent great (preferably on the PC) that I've missed and should go back and play?
Ta.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By raddevon

Check out Sacred 2 if you're interested in Diablo 3. There is also a game coming in the pretty near future that is like Diablo 3 although I can't recall the name.

Update: The game is Torchlight. It comes out near the end of October. You might want to check it out.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By penguindust

If you haven't played it, I know it's older, but Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is on Steam now.  You can play that RPG as an action game or a more traditional turn-based RPG.  It's well worth you time, if you've missed it. 

And don't forget that Borderlands is out next month.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I don't know how far back you're willing to go, but there's a million billion good rpg's on the SNES that are free.... (if you like using em*******) 

@PenguinDust said:

" If you haven't played it, I know it's older, but Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is on Steam now.  You can play that RPG as an action game or a more traditional turn-based RPG.  It's well worth you time, if you've missed it. 

And don't forget that Borderlands is out next month. "
I also agree with this. 

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Chrono Trigger and Persona 3.
Those two are the only JRPGs I have ever finished.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Seriously, Diablo 2 doesn't show it's age much. It still plays the best out of any action RPG on the market and apart from the low resolution it still looks alright. Go and play it.

Neverwinter Nights is great if you like D&D 3.0's ruleset, great offical campagin and a huge community of excellent user made modules.

Planescape Torment is amazing, but very slow paced and the actual combat is... archaic at best, infuriating at worst; however the writing and plot more than make up for it, the best realised RPG world ever.

Valkyria Chronicles is awesome, a very original blend of SRPG and thrid person shooter. If you've got a PS3 pick this up.

Chrono Trigger is one of, if not the best RPG on the SNES, check it out.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael

If you enjoyed Fallout 3, you owe it to yourself to check out Oblivion(unless you already have).

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By skrutop

I'm playing Chrono Trigger on the DS right now, and absolutely love it.

If you liked Fallout 3, you could try out Oblivion.

happyfatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Rio

Demon's Souls comes out very soon.  Its a fantastic ARPG, if you dont mind a bit of punishment.  Actually I'm gonna go play some right now.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust

If you like Marvel super heroes you can always try Marvel Ultimate Alliance. It's diablo II with super-heroes, at bargain price. 

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By evanbrau

As someone else said it really is worth giving Diablo 2 a go, it doesn't show its age far as much as you'd think and it really is the most addictive thing I've ever played. I lost months to it over the years.
Deus Ex has a lot of RPG trappings but it might be a bit old for you at this stage, it really is one of the best games ever. A little more current but unfortunately not as good is Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, a first person rpg with a fantastic story and great voice acting.
I'm assuming that if Diablo 2 is too old that the infinity engine games like Baldurs Gate? They are amazing games and well worth playing.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Some people didn't understand the concept of "action" if they suggest things with D&D rules or similar :d

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Driadon
@Al3xand3r said:
" Some people didn't understand the concept of "action" if they suggest things with D&D rules or similar :d "
Well he mentioned The Witcher which has a fairly table-top-esque feel to it. 

S.T.A.L.K.E.R., while not an RPG in the statistical sense (but more-so in the actual role playing aspect then many other "RPGs") is a great game if a more then a little challenging.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

No, no it doesn't... It's all real-time wasd movement and dodging and clickety click Diablo-esque attacks. Nothing like tabletop (P&P?).

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

Get a DS and play about a million things.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By evanbrau

He also just said a plain old RPG would also do which is where the old D&D stuff fits in.

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gabha
@Icemael said:
" If you enjoyed Fallout 3, you owe it to yourself to check out Oblivion(unless you already have). "
I came here to write that.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r
@evanbrau said:
" He also just said a plain old RPG would also do which is where the old D&D stuff fits in. "
I don't see that in the OP but sure, he should play those then, and shame on everyone who didn't suggest Fallout in that case.
Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zaph
Thanks a lot guys, so many games here I've never heard of.

@raddevon said:
Update: The game is Torchlight. It comes out near the end of October. You might want to check it out. " 
Believe me, I've been keeping my eye of Torchlight since it was mentioned on the Bombcast.

@MB said:
" Titan Quest + Immortal Throne, dude. It's like Diablo 2, only it isn't ten years old. " 
They look awesome. Looking for a demo at the moment. 

@PenguinDust said:
" If you haven't played it, I know it's older, but Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is on Steam now.  You can play that RPG as an action game or a more traditional turn-based RPG.  It's well worth you time, if you've missed it. 

And don't forget that Borderlands is out next month. "
Heh I pretty much 'played' KotOR years ago. As in I spent days watching my old housemate play it on the xbox. Great game, and I did not see that twist coming! (and Borderlands has been on pre-order for a month ;)

@Icemael said:
" If you enjoyed Fallout 3, you owe it to yourself to check out Oblivion(unless you already have). "
Dude can't believe I forgot about Oblivion. It's now on my list. 

@evanbrau said:
" As someone else said it really is worth giving Diablo 2 a go, it doesn't show its age far as much as you'd think and it really is the most addictive thing I've ever played. I lost months to it over the years. Deus Ex has a lot of RPG trappings but it might be a bit old for you at this stage, it really is one of the best games ever. A little more current but unfortunately not as good is Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, a first person rpg with a fantastic story and great voice acting. I'm assuming that if Diablo 2 is too old that the infinity engine games like Baldurs Gate? They are amazing games and well worth playing. "
Dude, Deus Ex! JC Denton is the man. Played it non-stop on day of release. Funnily enough one of my favourite 'gaming moments' is walking into the ladies toilet and thinking nothing of it. Then a couple hours later your boss shouts at you about it. Great "oh shit!" moment. I tried the sequel too, didn't like it at all. oh well.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Emilio

Isn't System Shock 2 like an RPG? 
FPSRPG? 

I dunno...  
:(

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Oblivion, Morrowind, Persona 4, heard Persona 3 was good, and barring some terrible ending, (No, I still haven't finished it) I've had fun playing Persona 2.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Red

Jade Empire's a fantastic game.

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jim_dandy
@Zaph: Deus Ex 2 was total crap compared to the original. I could barely play through it.

Maybe DE3 will be better?
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gizmo

Diablo 2 still holds up well today, if you haven't played it before, try it.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By keyhunter

Play some fucking Arkanum.

crispaylips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theres a game that just got kick started called sui generis check it out its amazing.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Theres a game that just got kick started called sui generis check it out its amazing.

That's some necro!

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

assassin's creed 4 is really fun