• 55 results
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Emilio
Kotaku says that there's a new DS with a new NVidia graphics chip on the way. 

My thoughts: I JUST BOUGHT A DAMN DSi GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!! AGHHHHHHHHHH!!! 

My rage meter has been capped for the rest of the year. 

This is why I HATE Nintendo handhelds now. It all started with that damn GBA (which I loved). Dammit, dammit, dammit!!!
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

I mentioned this in a thread a few days ago, sans the NVidia chip - that is new.  We can't be sure it is new DS as it is remotely possible a rebirthed Gameboy could be announced. 

Just keep in mind Emilio, this is talking about an announcement in late 2010, over a year away and that is just the announcement.  This means it is probably looking at a release in late 2011.  That would make the DS 6 years old and honestly, due for a replacement.  I am personally comfortable anticipating an all new handheld for 2012, the DS has had a good life and probably another 2 more years of it. 

My hope on the DS is that the top of the current DS is all screen and the power comparable with the Gamecube.  It shouldn't be hard.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's for a new Gameboy line I reckon.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool
@Linkyshinks said:
" It's for a new Gameboy line I reckon. "
Snap  ^-^
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust

So, you think that a NVidia chipped new DS to be announced at the end of next year is going to be so radically different that your current DS will be obsolete?  I'm going to bet you won't see one of these for a good 18 months, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you had no plans to enjoy DS games for a year and a half anyway.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

I really doubt it will be a new DS as some sites are assuming, sure it will have touch screen, just not two. I think it will be a Gameboy geared to play a superior quality of 3D games.  

If the predictions of late 2010 are right, then I guess we can expect to see a glimpse at E3 next year, possibly alongside a new game. ( - a new 3D Super Mario Land game would be sweet)

I'm guessing 2011 Q4 Japan, and Q2-3 2012 elsewhere... 

GermanQR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GermanQR

So Nintendo are making a PSP now???

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By flaminghobo

Sounds awesome.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool

I think the Gameboy relaunch is a good idea.  It allows the return of the 3rd pillar and lengthens the life of the DS as it can sit alongside the new Gameboy as the budget console in the Nintendo range.  It can sit there ticking along until the shift to the Gameboy is complete.  It is a potential strategy I like.  I am also hopeful that they can make a true analogue stick and recreate Gamecube quality games not just in graphics, but also in the way it controls.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Marzy

I agree with Linkyshinks.

I believe this is the return of the Gameboy. :)

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By turbomonkey138

Crisis on a ds ?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks

Nintendo working with the best manufacturer of GPU's (IMO), is great news, it could well lead to them providing Nintendo's next console with it's GPU.  ATi should be done away with...

@oldschool said: 

" I think the Gameboy relaunch is a good idea.  It allows the return of the 3rd pillar and lengthens the life of the DS as it can sit alongside the new Gameboy as the budget console in the Nintendo range.  It can sit there ticking along until the shift to the Gameboy is complete.  It is a potential strategy I like.  I am also hopeful that they can make a true analogue stick and recreate Gamecube quality games not just in graphics, but also in the way it controls. "

I agree with what you say about controls. While any new Nintendo handheld device will always include touch in future, I would also like to see Nintendo apply two things which are old but new. Firstly, I think an internal motion detector using the new safe technology would be great, secondly, an analogue stick, which depresses. Both would be very welcome additions to any new Nintendo handheld. If they are unable to do the latter, I would like to see them take an approach we see on the Wii and provide attachments, which would work to improve control from a conventional DPad. 

I think we can expect around Gamecube quality, that would be in keeping with the trend and the current advancements in mobile GPU and power source technology. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
@Linkyshinks said:
" Nintendo working with the best manufacturer of GPU's (IMO), is great news, it could well lead to them providing Nintendo's next console with it's GPU.  ATi should be done away with...

@oldschool said:
" I think the Gameboy relaunch is a good idea.  It allows the return of the 3rd pillar and lengthens the life of the DS as it can sit alongside the new Gameboy as the budget console in the Nintendo range.  It can sit there ticking along until the shift to the Gameboy is complete.  It is a potential strategy I like.  I am also hopeful that they can make a true analogue stick and recreate Gamecube quality games not just in graphics, but also in the way it controls. "
 I agree with what you say about controls. While any new Nintendo handheld device will always include touch in future, I would also like to see Nintendo apply two things which are old but new. I think an internal motion detector using the new safe technology, and a analogue stick which depresses when the device is closed, would be very welcome additions to any new Nintendo handheld. If they are unable to do the latter, I would like to see them take an approach we see on the Wii,  and provide attachments which would will improve control from a conventional DPad. I would like to see the new handheld designed with this in mind.   I think we can expect around Gamecube quality, that would be in keeping with the trend and the current advancements in mobile GPU and power source technology. "
I think I have been talking about a recessing analogue stick since the days of the start of the DS.  I am not sure why it is so difficult.  If Nintendo don't get it done, eventually someone else, Sony probably, will.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I hope it's a new game boy...no touch screen gimmicks with better graphics...

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By TheHBK

Probably for the gameboy.  But what did you expect?  You are telling me you just got a DS, where it will have been out 5 years, and by the time the new system comes out, it will have been out 6-7 years?  Time for a change really.  Plus after how crappy DSi ware turned out, why would you get a DSi anyway?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
@TheHBK said:
" Probably for the gameboy.  But what did you expect?  You are telling me you just got a DS, where it will have been out 5 years, and by the time the new system comes out, it will have been out 6-7 years?  Time for a change really.  Plus after how crappy DSi ware turned out, why would you get a DSi anyway? "
Actually, those who got a DSi aren't complaining.  I don't regret it for a second and the features it has above the DS Lite get used quite a lot for me.
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Death_Unicorn

A new gameboy stirs my inner child, but I've been hurt by Nintendo before, so I'll be cautiously optimistic.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
@Death_Unicorn said:
" A new gameboy stirs my inner child, but I've been hurt by Nintendo before, so I'll be cautiously optimistic. "
 Show us where Nintendo touched you  ^-^ 
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rebirth of gameboy here we come

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lashe
@oldschool:@Linkyshinks: You had to go get me excited about the prospect of a new Gameboy, eh? I almost bought a GBA SP on impulse today at lunch just because of how fond my memories are of that machine. This sounds verrrry interesting though -- is it too early to be excited for E3 2010?

Oh, and a slight off topic interjection -- Linky, didn't you say ciao to everyone a few weeks back?
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#21  Edited By AgentJ

I'm indifferent to this news. We all knew a new console would be coming eventually, and the fact that it will be announced a year from now creates a kind of "whatever" response. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
@Lashe said:
" @oldschool:@Linkyshinks: You had to go get me excited about the prospect of a new Gameboy, eh? I almost bought a GBA SP on impulse today at lunch just because of how fond my memories are of that machine. This sounds verrrry interesting though -- is it too early to be excited for E3 2010?  Oh, and a slight off topic interjection -- Linky, didn't you say ciao to everyone a few weeks back? "
It's never to early to get excited for E3 2010  ^-^
Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jiggah

The Tegra is not a graphics chip.  It's an all-in-one solution.  It contains the CPU, GPU, northbridge, southbridge, and memory controller. 

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Willy105

HEY GUYS! PAY ATTENTION!!!!

This means Nvideo got the CONTRACT to make the next Nintendo handheld.

Meaning they haven't started making it yet, they start right now.

Meaning it will be YEARS before the product nears completion, and revealed.

So, you are not in any trouble for buying a DSi yet,

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Willy105 said:

" HEY GUYS! PAY ATTENTION!!!!  This means Nvideo got the CONTRACT to make the next Nintendo handheld.  Meaning they haven't started making it yet, they start right now.  Meaning it will be YEARS before the product nears completion, and revealed.  So, you are not in any trouble for buying a DSi yet, "

They're not making the new handheld, only providing a sole component.   

This new handheld has likely been in design for a while now, as with any Nintendo product.  They already have the power source ready after investing heavily in a company that develops them two years ago. Now they have the hybrid CPU, after waiting for the technology to reach a certain level.  

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Emilio
@TheHBK:  
I have a DSLite and a DSi. I could have happily waited for the new handheld and not bought my DSi if I knew that they'd be making a new machine. 

If its a new GameBoy, then I'm okay with it, but if its a new, more powerful DS, then I'll be seriously pissed.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryanwho
@GermanQR said:
" So Nintendo are making a PSP now??? "
No, cus this will actually have a bunch of great games for it.
Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jiggah
@ryanwho said:
" @GermanQR said:
No, cus this will actually have a bunch of great games for it. "
Really?  So, another Pokemon then huh...
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho
@Jiggah said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @GermanQR said:
Really?  So, another Pokemon then huh... "
That's right, ass. All the DS has is Pokemon games, score one for you.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By mikemcn
@turbomonkey138 said:
"Crisis on a ds ? "

I like it, you should get into development, call up crytek..... NOW 

That would be awesome though.......
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Diamond

I'm not certain about raw performance, but the Tegra supposedly has programmable pixel shaders, unlike the Wii.  Could Nintendo's next handheld be more powerful than their console?

I too would like to see them go back to a system without touch screens, and just one nice screen.  I'll be curious to see what they use for game storage, or maybe it'll be download only?  As long as they don't use optical media...

Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jiggah
@ryanwho said:

" @Jiggah said:

" @ryanwho said:
" @GermanQR said:
Really?  So, another Pokemon then huh... "
That's right, ass. All the DS has is Pokemon games, score one for you. "
Oh please.  You're taking a crack at me for generalizing about the DS...
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AgentJ
@Diamond said:

" I'm not certain about raw performance, but the Tegra supposedly has programmable pixel shaders, unlike the Wii.  Could Nintendo's next handheld be more powerful than their console?  I too would like to see them go back to a system without touch screens, and just one nice screen.  I'll be curious to see what they use for game storage, or maybe it'll be download only?  As long as they don't use optical media... "

You know they won't make a device more powerful than the Wii. That would cost too much, and we know Nintendo likes making money on their hardware. Also, why would you want them to NOT have a touch screen? If it works the same, whats the problem? 

Edit: For gods sake, not download only. I agree that there shouldn't be optical media, but NOOOOOO to download only. 
Jiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jiggah
@AgentJ said:

" @Diamond said:

" I'm not certain about raw performance, but the Tegra supposedly has programmable pixel shaders, unlike the Wii.  Could Nintendo's next handheld be more powerful than their console?  I too would like to see them go back to a system without touch screens, and just one nice screen.  I'll be curious to see what they use for game storage, or maybe it'll be download only?  As long as they don't use optical media... "
You know they won't make a device more powerful than the Wii. That would cost too much, and we know Nintendo likes making money on their hardware. Also, why would you want them to NOT have a touch screen? If it works the same, whats the problem? "
The touchscreen is a novelty...not a necessity.  Most DS games have an the option to use the d-pad and it's usually more effective to do so.  There are only a number of games that are touchscreen exclusive i.e. Zelda, and those rhythm games.  Out of those only a small number actually uses it efficiently.

The touchscreen would be okay, if it was only for backwards compatibility.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AgentJ
@Jiggah said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @Diamond said:
You know they won't make a device more powerful than the Wii. That would cost too much, and we know Nintendo likes making money on their hardware. Also, why would you want them to NOT have a touch screen? If it works the same, whats the problem? "
The touchscreen is a novelty...not a necessity.  Most DS games have an the option to use the d-pad and it's usually more effective to do so.  There are only a number of games that are touchscreen exclusive i.e. Zelda, and those rhythm games.  Out of those only a small number actually uses it efficiently. "
True, but there are a lot that do rely on it, and even more that benefit from it. I almost can't imagine going back to the old way of playing Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, or any other SRPG. TWEWY wouldn't be the same with button presses. Elite Beat Agents wouldn't exist. Thats already a number of my favorite games on the console. Thus, I'd prefer that the touch screen stuck around.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Linkyshinks said:
Why would the bring back Gameboy when they have DS?
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Diamond
@AgentJ said:
You know they won't make a device more powerful than the Wii. That would cost too much, and we know Nintendo likes making money on their hardware. Also, why would you want them to NOT have a touch screen? If it works the same, whats the problem?  Edit: For gods sake, not download only. I agree that there shouldn't be optical media, but NOOOOOO to download only.
Well, it could just be that if this new Gameboy comes out in 2013 or something, maybe they haven't made a new console yet.  Wouldn't cost too much even for Nintendo's marketing.

I don't like touch screens really, I worry about damaging the screen, you can't really use it in a moving vehicle well, the stylus is kind of a pain (and I'd like using my greasy fingers less).  Yea there'd been stuff like Ouendan that made good use of it, but really the majority of titles used it poorly (New Super Mario Bros for summing items, really stupid) or not at all.  I'd rather them figure out how to make a good analog stick than use the touch screen for aiming in a FPS (for example).
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AgentJ
@Diamond said:
" @AgentJ said:
You know they won't make a device more powerful than the Wii. That would cost too much, and we know Nintendo likes making money on their hardware. Also, why would you want them to NOT have a touch screen? If it works the same, whats the problem?  Edit: For gods sake, not download only. I agree that there shouldn't be optical media, but NOOOOOO to download only.
Well, it could just be that if this new Gameboy comes out in 2013 or something, maybe they haven't made a new console yet.  Wouldn't cost too much even for Nintendo's marketing.  I don't like touch screens really, I worry about damaging the screen, you can't really use it in a moving vehicle well, the stylus is kind of a pain (and I'd like using my greasy fingers less).  Yea there'd been stuff like Ouendan that made good use of it, but really the majority of titles used it poorly (New Super Mario Bros for summing items, really stupid) or not at all.  I'd rather them figure out how to make a good analog stick than use the touch screen for aiming in a FPS (for example). "
You worry about damaging the screen? The DS always had a great solid screen, and I can't imagine successfully stabbing the stylus through the screen if I tried. I don't really play while driving for obvious reasons, but I never had a problem playing TWEWY on the bus. Seems your problem is more with poor use of the controls than the controls themselves though, so how about keeping the touch screen and developers not using the controls in a gimicky way? I'd rather have the touch screen than have a single analog stick used the way it is on the PSP.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Diamond
@AgentJ said:
You worry about damaging the screen? The DS always had a great solid screen, and I can't imagine successfully stabbing the stylus through the screen if I tried. I don't really play while driving for obvious reasons, but I never had a problem playing TWEWY on the bus. Seems your problem is more with poor use of the controls than the controls themselves though, so how about keeping the touch screen and developers not using the controls in a gimicky way? I'd rather have the touch screen than have a single analog stick used the way it is on the PSP.
I worry about scratching the screen over time, and my bottom screen doesn't look anywhere near as nice as my top DS Lite screen.  It's an extra cost, and they have to put extra layers on the screen which makes it not quite as clear.  I'd definitely prefer them leave it out altogether.  The PSP's analog nub sucks, I wouldn't want them to do that.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AgentJ
@Diamond said:
" @AgentJ said:
I worry about scratching the screen over time, and my bottom screen doesn't look anywhere near as nice as my top DS Lite screen.  It's an extra cost, and they have to put extra layers on the screen which makes it not quite as clear.  I'd definitely prefer them leave it out altogether.  The PSP's analog nub sucks, I wouldn't want them to do that. "
What would you expect them to do for analog sticks though? It's supposed to be a portable, not a full-fledged controller. If you have too many things poking out of it, the portability of the device is really weakened. That's probably one of the biggest reasons why they implemented the touch screen in the first place (as with every mobile phone these days)
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Diamond
@AgentJ said:
What would you expect them to do for analog sticks though? It's supposed to be a portable, not a full-fledged controller. If you have too many things poking out of it, the portability of the device is really weakened. That's probably one of the biggest reasons why they implemented the touch screen in the first place (as with every mobile phone these days)
Dunno, that's up to them.  Nintendo's always been innovative with controls, so maybe that's what they'll do next.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AgentJ
@Diamond said:
" @AgentJ said:
Dunno, that's up to them.  Nintendo's always been innovative with controls, so maybe that's what they'll do next. "
Well in lieu of some new amazing innovation, I'll take my touch screen any day. 
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Diamond
@AgentJ said:
Well in lieu of some new amazing innovation, I'll take my touch screen any day.
If I came down to it, I'd take NES style dpad and 2 buttons ahead of touch screen, lol.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By ajamafalous

I would also much rather have an analog stick and one screen than 2 screens and touch controls.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Al3xand3r

I doubt it will appear as soon as some think so (unless Nintendo is set on making the DSi the new GBC, but they have no reason to cut its life short when it's proven to be pretty succesful and has a lot of room for added revenue with the DSiWare and retail exclusive titles). Making a deal with Nvidia doesn't mean it will come soon. I bet the contracts are already set for the next gen home systems also, but they won't show next year.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#46  Edited By c_rakestraw
@LiquidPrince said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
Why would the bring back Gameboy when they have DS? "
Well, they did say that the DS wasn't going to be a replacement for the Gameboy prior to its release, so I imagine that would have partly driven the decision -- assuming the new handheld in question is a new Gameboy, that is.
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Death_Unicorn
@oldschool: 
No Caption Provided
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By oldschool
@Death_Unicorn said:
" @oldschool: 
No Caption Provided
"
Is that where you keep your wallet?
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Death_Unicorn
@oldschool: Is there another place that I'm not aware of?
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Wolverine
@Emilio: i recently sold my DS Lite and PSP because I just got an iPhone. Even though the games are not of the same quality it is still much easier to play games on my phone than it is to bring around a whole separate device.