New kane & lynch. Will Eidos cause the same trouble as before

narley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By narley
Well, I heard this new Kane and lynch game is coming out. Kane and Lynch dog days, I belive is the title of the new game.
My question is, what are your thoughts on this new game. Will you give it a chance or are you still pissed because of what happened with the first game. We all remember the mess that the PR guys with Eidos caused regarding this title.

Giving pressure to sites and magazines about giving the game a good review score seems wrong. Im sure alot of companies do it though. They offer "exclusive" interviews and screenshots in exchange for some "love" thrown their way, but Eidos made a heck of mess with the last really big title they came out with. Even a UK magazine published an article about that recently. In the article they said that Eidos aproached them saying that they would allow for them to publish the review for Batman Arkham Asylum early (earlier than any other publication), in exchange for the cover of the magazine and a review score of over 90%. Afther the magazine declined and published an article about that, Eidos said the only thing that was real about the article was the name of the game. Snarky SOBs.

A good game is a good game. And regardless of what sneaky tactics their publishers use to get the word out there that the game's out, Anyone can enjoy a good game. The sad part is that those of us that focus alot on reviews to buy games, end up getting the short end of the stick.
Like almost any other game player out there, I have my guilty pleasure games that I buy regardless of all the good or bad reviews (monster hunter and castlevania games). But for all other games I turn to websites and publications about the medium. If I see a big 90+ score for a game and a huge picture on the cover of a mag, or the main page of a website. I'll probably get that game on the first chance I get.

Granted that if alot of people notice that a score got bought by the publisher and not earned by the game's quality, the publication will start to loose credibility. But I wonder, If by not suporting games from publishers that are involved in this so ofthen, will we be giving them a message of fair play, or simply telling them that they have to be better at not getting caught.
narley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By narley

sorry for posting this again. Some guy decided it would be a good idea to move the topic with out reading the first post. I post it this again with a new title.

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Aarny91

If Jeff reviews it... (along with Batman: AA) that'll make my day =)

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I played & completed Kane & Lynch. I can tell you that the story sucks ass.  It started out pretty interesting then all of a sudden it felt like 5 years had passed & the story no longer made any sense!  It's like you're following point A, then B, then C, BLACKOUT, now you pick up at L.  I got this game in the bargain bin & I still felt my money & time was wasted.  I'll wait for the reviews on this one. If it's more of the same, I'm not going to get taken twice on this IP.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Pibo47
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" I played & completed Kane & Lynch. I can tell you that the story sucks ass.  It started out pretty interesting then all of a sudden it felt like 5 years had passed & the story no longer made any sense!  It's like you're following point A, then B, then C, BLACKOUT, now you pick up at L.  I got this game in the bargain bin & I still felt my money & time was wasted.  I'll wait for the reviews on this one. If it's more of the same, I'm not going to get taken twice on this IP. "
i really liked the 1st half of the game. Then it just went all down hill. The story was...eh. I thought the characters are worth exploring. They could be very interesting. Real bad dudes.
baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By baba2

I say that the GB community boycott the sales. XD

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ververdan0226

That's gonna be either the most hilarious Quick Look in the history of GB or the absolute most awkward one when and if it comes out.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_A_Drain

Do you really need two threads on this? Its just gonna get moved again and, yeah, it should, it has to do almost specifically with a Kane and Lynch sequel. Or Eidos, and should be moved to those forums tbh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Jeff should put up the review tommorow with 1/5 stars.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Bucketdeth said:
"Jeff should put up the review tommorow with 1/5 stars. "

But that would go against everything this site stands for and would simply legitimise the whole debacle, I expect a fair and honest review the same as always. If they even decide to review it, I certainly wouldn't if I were in Jeffs situation, I wouldnt give them the publicity.
narley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By narley
@The_A_Drain:

I guess thats taking the high road. He can totally afect the sales of the game if he wants to, but Im sure he's capable of doing a good and honest review, even if its a game from a company that caused him to go through some problems.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_A_Drain said:
"@Bucketdeth said:
"Jeff should put up the review tommorow with 1/5 stars. "
But that would go against everything this site stands for and would simply legitimise the whole debacle, I expect a fair and honest review the same as always. If they even decide to review it, I certainly wouldn't if I were in Jeffs situation, I wouldnt give them the publicity. "
Haha, I know, it would never happen, just a little joke.
But when it's released I'm sure it will get reviewed just like any other game.
Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kajaah117

I expect the Giant Bomb crew to do something very clever when the game releases. :P

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By super_machine

I thought Eidos was extinct.

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By guerrilla_mason
@baba2 said:
" I say that the GB community boycott the sales. XD "
What would this prove? A whole site can hold a grudge against a company?
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Coltonio7

Yeah, Tomb Raider IS awesome.

baba2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By baba2
@Guerrilla_Mason said:
" @baba2 said:
" I say that the GB community boycott the sales. XD "
What would this prove? A whole site can hold a grudge against a company? "
Kane & Lynch is a company?

I'm on about purchasing the game, until GB review it we should hold back, until we find out what the game is really worth instead of listening to the other sites that might not be speaking from the heart about it. ;)

Eidos make great games, look at the Hitman series. I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to that.
fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fishinwithguns

Kane and Lynch was how I found out about this site.  I had a free Gametap subscription and Kane and Lynch was one of the games on there.  I liked the first few levels okay, but then began to HATE it.  I hated the story, I hated the fact that I couldn't care about any of the characters at all, not even in the anti-hero sort of way.  I didn't want to play through as this guy while his life goes to shit and he makes fucked up choices.  The best part was the Japanese dance club, but even that made me feel kinda bad because stray bullets would inevitably hit innocent bystanders every now and then.

I was disgusted by the game and wanted to find a review of it online, because for some reason, I had thought that this was a generally well received game before (my friend had it too and told me it was good).  But yea I just wanted to see if anyone agreed with my opinion of the game since it became such a strong one.  I found Jeff's video review and I agreed with everything he said, and through reading the comments on the video I found out about all the hoopla with eidos paying for good reviews or some shit like that and I heard this site was great so decided to check it out.  That's the only reason I don't regret playing that game.

Capitalism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Capitalism

Who the hell buys Eidos's games anyway?

Designer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Designer0

Kane & Lynch was a very average game from a very good developer (creators of Hitman and Freedom fighters). It got a lot of bad attention because the way it was marketed, but don’t blame that on the developers. Ironically the games marketing campaign was very effective and the game sold well.  Kane & Lynch had a very long and troubled development, and could easily have ended up as vaporware. It’s amazing that it made it out in one piece. I am excited to see how K&L 2 turns out, but I am more excited about the next Hitman.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cheapoz

Can't wait to see the K&L 2 skinned GB front page!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, no need to worry about any terminations or "Gerstmann-gates" here. Giant Bomb IS Jeff Gerstmann (and Ryan, Brad, Vinny, Drew, Dave.....). I played some of the first Kane and Lynch and was unimpressed but, seriously, the sequel could be something special. Don't knock it yet. Eidos is a fine developer and if they put their "Top-notch Hitman/Tomb Raider" team on this project, it could be a pretty awesome game.

narley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By narley
@Cheapoz said:
"Can't wait to see the K&L 2 skinned GB front page! "
lol

Oh - no you di-int
Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Keyser_Soze
@Capitalism said:
" Who the hell buys Eidos's games anyway? "
Capitalists.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iamjohn

Considering they caused the same trouble with Tomb Raider Underworld and Batman: Arkham Asylum, I think the odds are 3:2 in favor of shady business practices being afoot.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By TheHBK

I dont think anyone will be clamoring for exclusive interviews or shots, just crappy no name sites.  After how stupid the last game was, I dont think Eidos has any room to leverage with this game.  But fuck, they are of course gonna try, they did it with the last Tomb Raider and Batman.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bigandtasty
@Cheapoz said:
" Can't wait to see the K&L 2 skinned GB front page! "
ahaha nice one

would be hilarious if eidos actually put up a serious offer on the table to do that
Capitalism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Capitalism
@Keyser_Soze said:
" @Capitalism said:
" Who the hell buys Eidos's games anyway? "
Capitalists. "
Woah.
DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DeathByWaffle

First of all, why is another being made? The first game wasn't the worst game I have ever played, but it was pretty awful. Did it really make that much money to warrant a sequel?
I would hope Eidos is smart enough not to try anything this time, as they saw how badly that can go.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sabata

The first one sucked, the second one will probably suck as well.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Systech

Jeff should just review it as 5 stars.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By KaosAngel

It would be hilarious if Jeff got fired again.  They should totally do that as a joke for Giant Bomb when the game comes out.

Capitalism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Capitalism

that would be hilarious

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By artofwar420

It probably will get reviewed by Brad, just saying. But it'd be cool to see what happens.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JJOR64
@KaosAngel said:
" It would be hilarious if Jeff got fired again.  They should totally do that as a joke for Giant Bomb when the game comes out. "
They totally should.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Pibo47 said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" I played & completed Kane & Lynch. I can tell you that the story sucks ass.  It started out pretty interesting then all of a sudden it felt like 5 years had passed & the story no longer made any sense!  It's like you're following point A, then B, then C, BLACKOUT, now you pick up at L.  I got this game in the bargain bin & I still felt my money & time was wasted.  I'll wait for the reviews on this one. If it's more of the same, I'm not going to get taken twice on this IP. "
i really liked the 1st half of the game. Then it just went all down hill. The story was...eh. I thought the characters are worth exploring. They could be very interesting. Real bad dudes.
"
That's exactly how it was. They baited you with a good demo, then the second half of the game shows you that they weren't finished & just slammed something together!!

narley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By narley

What you guys have been saying is true. The characters have potential.
I remember when I saw the first trailer for the game, I thought that it looked really cool. They were selling the idea of the game as a story of 2 guys, a psyco and a guy whos life was going down the toilet. It was really cool. And I was expecting to see the game in action as soon as posible.
Its too bad that it turned out as it did, but I guess the story or the characters have potential.

Its kinda like having the game GTA 4 with a really bad or stupid story, or the awesome GTA story with really bad gameplay. 
One with out the other. It just doesnt work, at all.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Grimace

Eidos should focus on a new  Freedom Fighters instead.

narley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By narley
@Grimace:
 yea, your right