• 96 results
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

Wanted to point out if anyone didn't know that there is a new Wiki Tasks option under the help tab. Apparently mods and staff can flag pages that need to be filled out further, cleaned up, etc. This is something I think has been needed from the beginning and I'm glad it's here. There are even point bounties for each task. It's like taking on a quest in an MMO! OK, now I'm going to far. Anyways, everyone should check it out and start editing more pages.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Cool idea, should keep the wikis fresh.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

Thanks for the heads-up.  Unfortunately, I have no knowledge on any of the tasks.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By teptom

Wow.  

This is a really nice feature.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

Pinning this topic until the staff get some form of announcement of their own up :)

Any questions, feel free to ask them!

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ArcBorealis

I accepted the task to edit the Portal 2 page what with the announcement today. Very cool feature indeed.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Awesome new feature!

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By DanielJW

This is actually awesome.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9  Edited By c_rakestraw

Sweet. I'll get started on some right now.

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By fillmoejoe

Nice new feature.

Bunnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bunnyman

Great feature. Just hope it won't encourage more plagiarism. Perhaps an extra close watch will be kept on these pages.

Tasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Tasus

Fast question
What does these mean:

No Caption Provided
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hamz
@Flaime: That is the priority level we've set for that particular bounty. The more bars the higher the priority.

So if you see a bounty with a higher priority than all the rest then you will likely get far more points and the bounty itself is likely asking for much needed and highly important edits and changes to the page ;)
NuclearWinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NuclearWinter  Moderator
@Flaime said:
" Fast question
What does these mean: "
That's the importance of the task. The first two in your image are Medium priority while the third is Low.
erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By erinfizz

What an awesome typo:  

"When closing the task, the moderator assigns the bounty to all members who deserve points based on their desecration."

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Alright! This might be just enough for the Wiki to matter again.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17  Edited By natetodamax

I just finished the task for the Activision page!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By natetodamax

Is there any way to see who is currently working on a page?

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Yes, I just got a 150 point bounty from Jeff for the Halo 3: ODST page. There are still some things I need to do on there though, but I like this feature! 

The only problem so far is  that this causes several people to work on a page at once, which I have already noticed causes people's submissions to be lost. I had to re-do some stuff because it got canceled out by another person's submissions, and then I saw someone mention the same thing happened to them after I submitted my own stuff >< 

I am not sure of a solution, besides maybe the people who have accepted the task communicating better, but that can be tricky. I wonder if they could make it so when a person accepts a task, no one else can work on it until that person is done? The problem with this is unreliable people accepting a task and then not working on it right away.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seedofpower

Man, what a good Idea. I'm gonna add this page as a book mark.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By natetodamax
@Vito_Raliffe: It would be really good if you could view who was currently editing the page so you could prevent people from changing things while you are changing things.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FunExplosions

Lmao at the "Grass" concept, and its apparent over-use.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NoXious

I like the idea a lot! I am looking forward to hitting it up every day to see if there's any cool catches I can fill in :-)
I am not going to replay Neverwinter Nights to finish up Aribeth's bio though. NWN is too dated with Dragon Age out now, it's not exactly a superb singleplayer experience either.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman

Hey sweet, my topic got pinned. This feature rocks. I'm gonna go see what I can fill the MLB 2K10 page out with. Seems like I'm one of the few sports game fans here so it may be up to me.  :P

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By Yummylee

Now to wait for a edit request I actually know something about =/
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Great feature!!

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Potter9156

Great idea. Finally got me back into editing.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Red12b

I have to say, I really like this feature, Snide has been teasing us with Wiki Goodness, and they have delivered. 

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax said:
" @Vito_Raliffe: It would be really good if you could view who was currently editing the page so you could prevent people from changing things while you are changing things. "
Yeah, that would be useful. While you can see if someone has chosen to work on it, you don't know if they are actually changing anything at that very moment. Maybe when on the page, being able to see a list of users currently editing would help.
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PeasantAbuse
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @Vito_Raliffe: It would be really good if you could view who was currently editing the page so you could prevent people from changing things while you are changing things. "
Yeah, that would be useful. While you can see if someone has chosen to work on it, you don't know if they are actually changing anything at that very moment. Maybe when on the page, being able to see a list of users currently editing would help. "

Ya, I just spent awhile editing a page but i kept getting getting errors, so I refreshed the page and it had been filled out....GB has been extremely glitchy for me all day.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Lies
@Vito_Raliffe said:

" @natetodamax said:

Yeah, that would be useful. While you can see if someone has chosen to work on it, you don't know if they are actually changing anything at that very moment. Maybe when on the page, being able to see a list of users currently editing would help. "
same shit happens with guides. It's a limitation that will always be there unless they move to a Google Docs-esque solution.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By armaan8014

Cool! Will work when I have the time.

Lilarcor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Lilarcor

I love this feature, it's the video game wiki equivalent of a hit list. Only... you know, legal. And I get rewarded for knowing way too much about Ocarina of Time.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By snide
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" Yes, I just got a 150 point bounty from Jeff for the Halo 3: ODST page. There are still some things I need to do on there though, but I like this feature!  The only problem so far is  that this causes several people to work on a page at once, which I have already noticed causes people's submissions to be lost. I had to re-do some stuff because it got canceled out by another person's submissions, and then I saw someone mention the same thing happened to them after I submitted my own stuff ><  I am not sure of a solution, besides maybe the people who have accepted the task communicating better, but that can be tricky. I wonder if they could make it so when a person accepts a task, no one else can work on it until that person is done? The problem with this is unreliable people accepting a task and then not working on it right away. "
We thought about this, but in the end I'd rather have two people get the bounty than have a person hog the task and not finish it. We're looking into some more real time solutions for editing (possibly blocking editing on a page when we know someone else is doing it) but for now it's really best to just communicate in the comments.

We'll likely have a more official announcement about tasks next week. Right now we're just letting you early adopters play around with it and find bugs.
ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By ArcBorealis

Again, great feature. Finished editing two entries and are now awaiting approval.  
It definetely motivates me more to edit stuff on here again.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By NickL
@snide said:
" @Vito_Raliffe said:
" Yes, I just got a 150 point bounty from Jeff for the Halo 3: ODST page. There are still some things I need to do on there though, but I like this feature!  The only problem so far is  that this causes several people to work on a page at once, which I have already noticed causes people's submissions to be lost. I had to re-do some stuff because it got canceled out by another person's submissions, and then I saw someone mention the same thing happened to them after I submitted my own stuff ><  I am not sure of a solution, besides maybe the people who have accepted the task communicating better, but that can be tricky. I wonder if they could make it so when a person accepts a task, no one else can work on it until that person is done? The problem with this is unreliable people accepting a task and then not working on it right away. "
We thought about this, but in the end I'd rather have two people get the bounty than have a person hog the task and not finish it. We're looking into some more real time solutions for editing (possibly blocking editing on a page when we know someone else is doing it) but for now it's really best to just communicate in the comments.  We'll likely have a more official announcement about tasks next week. Right now we're just letting you early adopters play around with it and find bugs. "
i must say this is a fun idea, i just entered my first wiki sub in a while because of it, personally i dont like editing decent wikis, so the fact that this highlights the worse ones is great
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Putting out 'bounties', you say? So you could say that someone who searches out and takes on multitudes of tasks is, in a way, a 'bounty hunter'?  

This is now Reason #463 that Giantbomb is website excellence epitomized.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MarkWahlberg: Whoa, are you saying that I can call myself a "Bounty Hunter" and have it be true?! Because, man...that would be AWESOME!
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StarFoxA

I think that users with over a certain set amount of points should be able to do something along these lines. I really like this concept, but fear it will become very obsolete if some of the mods stop marking pages.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" @MarkWahlberg: Whoa, are you saying that I can call myself a "Bounty Hunter" and have it be true?! Because, man...that would be AWESOME! "
I'm saying once they make 'I am an Official Giantbomb Bounty Hunter' t-shirts, you're gonna get a lot of weird looks from authority figures.
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By snide
@StarFoxA said:
" I think that users with over a certain set amount of points should be able to do something along these lines. I really like this concept, but fear it will become very obsolete if some of the mods stop marking pages. "
Part of the plan! Right now we're just testing things out, but yes, we intend to open this up once we watch the flow of a couple tasks.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StarFoxA
@snide said:
" @StarFoxA said:
" I think that users with over a certain set amount of points should be able to do something along these lines. I really like this concept, but fear it will become very obsolete if some of the mods stop marking pages. "
Part of the plan! Right now we're just testing things out, but yes, we intend to open this up once we watch the flow of a couple tasks. "
Whoo! More support for the wiki!

I love you Dave.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JJWeatherman
@snide said:

" @StarFoxA said:

Part of the plan! Right now we're just testing things out, but yes, we intend to open this up once we watch the flow of a couple tasks. "
That's a good idea. I want to see this feature going strong forever basically. Maybe it would help to feature the tab more prominently somewhere. Seems a bit hidden as it is.

P.S. Nice Santa hat on your avatar pic in March Dave.  :P
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By snide
@JJWeatherman: That's on purpose at the moment. We're just testing things out this weekend.
NeoSHODAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NeoSHODAN
@JJWeatherman said:   
P.S. Nice Santa hat on your avatar pic in March Dave.  :P "  
@snide said:
" @JJWeatherman: That's on purpose at the moment. We're just testing things out this weekend. "

The Santa hat is on purpose?  In March?  And come on, we've been 'trying it out' for a little longer than a weekend ;)
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By mracoon

As an avid wiki contribute it's really great to finally see some new features. This a great way to get more people to add stuff to pages and it'll just give more to edit in general, which is always nice.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By rallier

Great to finnally see some feature encouraging the use of the wiki. 

I completed one of the "tasks" (odd name, could not help myself but replace it with the word "bounty" in my mind) and i think that i've noticed a small bug.  When accapting one the small window will slide open but you can click the button again to have the same window slide open a second time under it. I can't really check this since there are no open "tasks" that i can fill in. 

The way points are arbitrary rewarded is a bit odd. There is one task for the Neverwinter Nights 2 i believe worth 300 points but completing what is actually asked would already grant the user at least 1000 points. Guess that it still has to be figured out how to exactly reward people people who complete these tasks.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hamz
@Rallier said:

"The way points are arbitrary rewarded is a bit odd. There is one task for the Neverwinter Nights 2 i believe worth 300 points but completing what is actually asked would already grant the user at least 1000 points. Guess that it still has to be figured out how to exactly reward people people who complete these tasks."

Mods/Staff set the tasks objectives and the reward for achieving them. We also get to select who receives the reward and how much of it based on the level of work they put into the page and the completion of the overall task. In short it's all down to mods and staff discretion, we'll always try to be fair and reward people what we feel they deserve while making sure the original objectives set for the task are met.

EDIT - Forgot to mention that just because there is a bounty of 300 on the NWN2 page doesn't necessarily mean it gets awarded all to one person. If six people all pitch in to revamp the NWN2 page then MattBodega (who set the task) may feel all six deserve an equal 50 points each.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Rallier said:

"The way points are arbitrary rewarded is a bit odd. There is one task for the Neverwinter Nights 2 i believe worth 300 points but completing what is actually asked would already grant the user at least 1000 points. Guess that it still has to be figured out how to exactly reward people people who complete these tasks. "

Remember that this feature is new to us too, and it'll take a while for us to get used to assigning points values. I think couple of mine are probably on the slightly high side, but it's all part of the natural learning curve that comes with a new feature like this. As we get used to it we'll become better at assigning points bounties and they'll seem less arbitrary and more standard.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By rallier
@Hamz: Ha so that is how it works. Could a mod/staff member also reward a user more then the promised bounty if ever the users does a lot more then expected?  Points are a good way to encourage people to started editing the wiki but if there is a say 50 point bounty on a page that would not really encourage them to go full out. 

Something like multipliers would be interesting for such. Grant a 50 point bounty but if ever the user makes adds to over 200 points worth of content he or she will get a 10 percent bonus, the total bonus could be limited of course. So if someone would be to complete the bounty with a 300 points edit, that user would get the 50 pointy points and a 30 points bonus. Perhaps this is something that the staff would be interested in adding later on. 

An issue i have with this is that it will allow users to pass the 1K limit even faster. That limit should probably be upped or new users should be member for an X amount of time before they can edit moderation free. 

@MattyFTM:
Quite understandable yeah, actually i would say that most of the bounties are on the low side now. Especially some of the 50 point ones that asks users to fill in empty pages.