Nintendo once again crushed my dreams (RIP once great company)

• 101 results
vidiots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vidiots

Yep another shitty gimmick.

Went i first heard Nintendo was coming out with new system that was said to be hardcore focused i was so hyped. Then as there conference started at e3 all seemed good one of main people are Nintendo was apologising to hardcore saying stuff like we abbonded them i was on my seat saying yes! Then they show the console and all hope was lost.

First issue is How can you play a normal game with classic controller with that giant ipad it is way to uncomvertable it giant with so many buttons how can i play fps on it? I Thats right they will think of some gimik with the touch pad to aim.

Second the controler looks to be expensive what if it were to break it looks super fragile i dont want to spend 100$ on a controller!

Third the hardcore gamer wants this: Why fix what is not broke?

No Caption Provided

Not this

No Caption Provided

All i wanted was a hd console with all there great 1st party games with classic controller no gimicks. They failed once again hardcore games wont want to fucking run and and swing sword they want to sit down relax and enjoy a game with a controler which you took away which was never broke you made gaming worse.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

The stupid part is not the controller, but the fact that you can only use one at a time.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By beforet

@TheMustacheHero said:

The stupid part is not the controller, but the fact that you can only use one at a time.

Didn't they demo a game that used 4?

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dillonwerner
@Beforet said:

@TheMustacheHero said:

I think so..
vidiots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vidiots

@TheMustacheHero said:

Yes it is i remeber when i could play a game and not worry about getting tiered or using a big giant clunky ipad.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Beforet: There was some thread with a Destructoid article that said you could only use one. Here it is!
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By beforet

There was totally footage in one of the E3 wrap up videos (day 2 I think) that showed a game using four tablets.

Avatar image for commodoregroovy
CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By CommodoreGroovy
@Beforet said:

@TheMustacheHero said:

They only allow one controller per console. Everyone else who wants to play will be using Wiimotes and other peripherals of the like.   

I don't see the point of ragging on a console you haven't even tried yet. Who knows? Maybe you'll really like it when you start playing a game on the Wii U. Besides they tried appealing to the "hardcore" with the Gamecube, and guess what  happened? They did poorly. 
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

as far as I know there's two analog sticks on that thing...?

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Slaker117

I don't like what I've seen either, but I'm still giving them the chance to prove the system to me. At least wait till you've played it before you completely write it off.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Beforet said:

There was totally footage in one of the E3 wrap up videos (day 2 I think) that showed a game using four tablets.

Actually, now that I think about it, in there was some footage that was shown using 2 tablets when they were talking about the "measure up" game. Hmmmmm.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I think this industry needs a company to do stuff like this.  Nintendo is probably the only one that can take the risk.  Honestly before I saw footage of the E3 stuff I was ready to write it off.

Edit:  You also have no idea how that'll fit in your hands and you don't know that its fragile. 

SPOILER!
Most Nintendo products seem to be built to last seeing as how none of mine had been destroyed despite having a lot of falls.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TwilitEnd656

Who knows? Through small design changes, a tablet-controller might not be so bad. Hell, maybe even the current design isn't bad, I don't know; I haven't tried it.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By umdesch4

Just like the Wii, this will be the thing you buy as a second console, with either a Sony or MS product as your primary, and the Nintendo as your 'gee whiz' thing for when company with kids comes over, or with friends who are drinking heavily, or when you feel like doing something different from 'hardcore' gaming.

Anybody expecting a hardcore gaming experience from a company who hasn't ever really produced a product for hardcore gamers is missing the point IMHO.

beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By beckley205

Its only 6 inches compared to the ipads 10 inch frame or even a galaxy tabs 7 inch screen its not that big. 

acarab1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By acarab1981

i hate to sound like a fanboy, but it looks to me like nintendo's the only company that's trying to innovate 

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#17  Edited By Grumbel
@vidiots said: 

First issue is How can you play a normal game with classic controller with that giant ipad it is way to uncomvertable it giant with so many buttons how can i play fps on it?  

Every single report I have read form people actually holding the pad said is was quite comfortable and lighter then expected. It also has almost all the same buttons and stick as any other pad (missing however L3/R3 and analog trigger, which are only digital). Only real issue I see right now with the pad is that the analogsticks are on top of the dpad and buttons, not angled to the side, that should make switching between both an issue.

Thats right they will think of some gimik with the touch pad to aim.  

So far nobody has demoed anything like that. GhostRecon or whatever Ubisoft advertised used regular dual analog and showed simply a map on the screen.

Second the controler looks to be expensive what if it were to break it looks super fragile i dont want to spend 100$ on a controller!  

Then don't break it.

Why fix what is not broke? 

Because you don't know how broken old stuff is until you tried something better. 

All i wanted was a hd console with all there great 1st party games with classic controller no gimicks.

You pretty much got exactly that.

They failed once again hardcore games wont want to fucking run and and swing sword they want to sit down relax and enjoy a game with a controler which you took away which was never broke you made gaming worse. 

Sitting down with the controller instead of swinging around stuff is exactly what the new controller allows.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Animasta
@acarab1981 said:
i hate to sound like a fanboy, but it looks to me like nintendo's the only company that's trying to innovate 
BUT THE PSVITA HAS A BACK TOUCH SCREEN.

GUYS!?
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By august

YEAH DAWG LET'S ALL HANG OUT IN FRONT OF THE HOT TOPIC AND COMMISERATE.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By Little_Socrates

If you've found Nintendo great at any point since and including the N64, then you respect them for innovation (unless you just really love the SNES and Gamecube and that's IT.)

We have Nintendo for experimentation. There's no evidence of fragility or price yet, so cool your jets. And they never said that it'd be focused on the hardcore. In fact, I don't think anyone said that. Ubisoft just said they would be able to naturally release games for it rather than develop exclusive ports. Also, distance between hands is not going to make the slide pads farther from the triggers, so FPSes in particular will be fine.

Lastly, you don't know what the fucking hardcore gamer wants, so don't propose that you do. I consider myself a hardcore gamer and I think we're desperately in need of some innovation in the next five years or else I'll probably stop fucking playing video games 'cause I don't want to shoot things or navigate RPG menus anymore.

P.S. Think before you speak, do your research, don't act like an asshole.

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ratcabbage
@umdesch4 said: 

Anybody expecting a hardcore gaming experience from a company who hasn't ever really produced a product for hardcore gamers is missing the point IMHO.

Say whaaaaat?
Tuksit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tuksit
@umdesch4: A company who hasn't ever produced a product for "hardcore" gamers? How old are you? 10?

Anyway, I think it's premature to judge the console when you haven't even been near the thing. I am worried about the number of controllers that can be used but they did say that they were looking into getting more than one working at a time.
Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rahf

Define hardcore gamer as it applies to this topic. 

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24  Edited By JasonR86
@vidiots

Seems a bit early to write off a system without seeing any games or knowing the price.  Similarly, it's pretty early to write off a controller without ever using it.

Above all else, it is to early to render any judgements on anything Nintendo is doing with the Wii U and its business plan.
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rockdalf

Let me save the URL for this so  I can come back and laugh at you two years later.  Okay, got it, we're good.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@Rockdalf said:
Let me save the URL for this so  I can come back and laugh at you two years later.  Okay, got it, we're good.
1 year.
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sopranosfan

I honestly can't decide.  Part of me thinks that given a choice I will buy the third party games on the 360 or PS3 and only play first party titles on the WiiU.  The other part says that continuing a game in bed or on the toilet(come on you know you would) would be pretty cool. When I look at the controls a lot of people seem to think that they look uncomfortable but I think that with the wider controls they may actually be more comfortable than the smaller ones.  

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Whatever man, I think it looks cool.

NeutralDensity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NeutralDensity

I am willing to give Nintendo a chance.  At the very least, they are providing some innovation with what they have.  It will be up to how others use it.  With some bad gimmicky controls some games on Wii provided, it should give developers some insight with what not to do next time with the new system.  We might get some really ingenious game experiences down the road if that controller is used correctly.  We just need to wait and see. 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BraveToaster

I always confuse your threads with vidiot's, because of your usernames. 

Also, what is abbonded?

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By umdesch4

@Menseguez: Bwahahahaa....I was gaming when Super Pong at the pool hall was your only option for hardcore video games dude.

PS. For the record, I'm not dissing Nintendo, and I'll probably even buy the Wii U.

PPS. Rather than insult me, please provide an example of something from Nintendo that's "hardcore", 'cuz maybe my definition is different, and I might just concede your point.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Siphillis

New rule: something needs to be released before anyone gets to call it a failure.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#33  Edited By Hailinel

Looks fine to me, and every journalist that's held the controller says it feels fine.

So I think there isn't any reason for me to worry.

Tuksit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tuksit
@umdesch4: So you have no excuse.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Romination

@Laketown said:

as far as I know there's two analog sticks on that thing...?

It's a full and apparently quite comfortable controller. It also has a screen. But people are reactionary.

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By Blubba

To be honest, part of my skepticism of this system is the continued use of the Wii branding. I love Nintendo, I even loved my GameCube quite a bit; however, the "Wii" name only reminds me of disappointment, lies, and the disregard of gamers (for lack of better word) like me. It's not because the Wii U is a bad name. Don't get me wrong it is. They could have called it the Guu E and I would have liked it better because it doesn't remind me of such an underwhelming console.

When I think about it though, it seems fine. The one controller controller sucks ass, but I would gladly exchange the 3 controllers for some ACTUAL COMPETENT ONLINE FUNCTIONALITY. Right now, the Wii's online functionality is a joke. How fucking pathetic is it that I can't even get a game of Brawl online anymore? You know, Nintendo's most popular multiplayer franchise? There are probably still playing Call of Duty 4 right now as we speak.

I'm also worried about the graphics. Did Nintendo just bump it to HD, or will this thing still be relevant when Microsoft and Sony release the PS4 and Xbox 720? 3rd parties are saying right now that they love the thing...but I've done this walk before. We've seen montage videos before of 3rd parties saying how "I can't wait to take advantage of the features on the Wii!" Remember how exciting it was when Kojima said he was going to work on Wii...yeah, never happened. The truth is, while graphics will never be as important as gameplay, you still need them. Developers like Valve won't touch the Wii because they are full of very talented people who want to push the limits and boundaries.

Nintendo needs 3rd party support. They have already discovered that the casual audience that bought the Wii doesn't really buy many games. I'm not sure they're going to buy a whole new console which is sure to be more expensive than Wii when they probably have already stopped using their Wii at all. The 1st party stuff isn't cutting it anymore if you want a standalone system. It was fine on the GameCube when you were at least getting a decent amount of 1st party stuff you couldn't get anywhere else, lots of high quality stuff too. The GameCube paired nicely with a PS2 or Xbox.

On the Wii, their studios wasted too much time on bullshit like Wii Music and Wii Play. The online was a damn joke. While on the GameCube it was frustrating, on the Wii, online had evolved so much on other systems, it was inexcusable. Lack of storage prevented quality XBLA and PSN games from coming over too. There's no reason excuse why that stuff can't be on Wii.

@CommodoreGroovy said:

@Beforet said:

@TheMustacheHero said:

They only allow one controller per console. Everyone else who wants to play will be using Wiimotes and other peripherals of the like. I don't see the point of ragging on a console you haven't even tried yet. Who knows? Maybe you'll really like it when you start playing a game on the Wii U. Besides they tried appealing to the "hardcore" with the Gamecube, and guess what happened? They did poorly.

They did poorly because the hardware design was poor. I loved lots of the stuff on the GameCube, but the lack of online and 3rd party support hardly catered to the "hardcore".

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#37  Edited By AgentJ
@TheMustacheHero said:
@Beforet: There was some thread with a Destructoid article that said you could only use one. Here it is!
Read the whole thread. The console appears to be capable of it, they just haven't bothered to apply it yet. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@vidiots said:

They failed once again hardcore games wont want to fucking run and and swing sword they want to sit down relax and enjoy a game with a controler which you took away which was never broke you made gaming worse.

This run on sentence I think encapsulates the blind idiot rage on display.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By unchained

While I haven't played all that many nintendo games in the last decade, I'm going to wait until they show games (real games) running on the Wii U making any judgement.

I think the controller will feel fine, you know that thing is going to be focus group tested again and again to ensure it is comfortable. I'd also hold off on believing the "1 controller per console" claim. The machine is obviously a long ways out and I doubt Nintendo of all companies to make a console with no local multiplayer available.

They really shouldn't have shown their new hardware yet, it wasn't ready. I think that thing is still at least 18 months away, possibly more.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Barrock

@TheMustacheHero said:

@Beforet: There was some thread with a Destructoid article that said you could only use one. Here it is!

That's been found to be a fabrication.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gonmog

@umdesch4 said:

@Menseguez: Bwahahahaa....I was gaming when Super Pong at the pool hall was your only option for hardcore video games dude.

PS. For the record, I'm not dissing Nintendo, and I'll probably even buy the Wii U.

PPS. Rather than insult me, please provide an example of something from Nintendo that's "hardcore", 'cuz maybe my definition is different, and I might just concede your point.

SNES.....

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By ch13696

Let me save you the trouble here. 

ANY WII ACCESSORY CAN WORK WITH THE WII U. THAT INCLUDES THE WII CLASSIC CONTROLLER.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Beaudacious

Apparently its impossible for Nintendo to sell you an extra dualshock controller? This controller is the main feature, it doesn't mean  they won't sell you a classic controller along side. Also is you want to play Mario #26 and Zelda #13 buy yourself a wii for 50$. If you want to play Shooter #150, go buy a console that actually has an online community to play.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#44  Edited By AgentJ
@Gonmog said:

@umdesch4 said:

SNES.....

Golden Sun.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iamjohn

Oh fuck off.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By august

@AgentJ said:

@Gonmog said:

@umdesch4 said:

SNES.....

Golden Sun.

I hate the use of the term "hardcore" but there's nothing particularly "hardcore" about a totally by-the-numbers console jrpg with one of the worst scripts I've ever been forced to suffer through in a game.

Tuksit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Tuksit
@umdesch4: Ninja edit. I'm not trying to insult you, I just think it's a little crazy to say that Nintendo hasn't ever produced a product for the hardcore. As people have said the SNES was indeed quite "hardcore" as was the NES and the N64. Heck even the Gamecube was targetted at the hardcore. And then there's the entire Gameboy line of handhelds.
PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By PixelPrinny
@iAmJohn said:

Oh fuck off.

Sums it up pretty well. 

Just another doom and gloom rant before the product is even on the market. 
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#49  Edited By Hailinel

@PixelPrinny said:

@iAmJohn said:

Oh fuck off.

Sums it up pretty well. Just another doom and gloom rant before the product is even on the market.

Just another doom and gloom rant within one week of seeing tech demos of the product in any form.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Afroman269

lol