Please tell me i'm not the only one who hates 3D and...

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Joshakazam

Motion Controls?

PLEASE?!?!?

i just do not see the point of it, i obviously don't wanna sit down after a long day and start swinging my arms with a pair of glasses, please tell me i'm not the only one who thinks of the Virtual Boy?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

I'm not a fan of 3D.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheGremp

You're in luck!  Those are two of the things that 90% of the people here hate. 

I don't want 3D in my games, but I've recently gained interest in stereoscopic photography.  I think 3D is overused in movies these days, but when done right, you can get some really cool results.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Joshakazam
@TheGremp said:
" You're in luck!  Those are two of the things that 90% of the people here hate.  I don't want 3D in my games, but I've recently gained interest in stereoscopic photography.  I think 3D is overused in movies these days, but when done right, you can get some really cool results. "
*sigh* Thank God i'm not the only one. I agree that when done right it can be used well but even then i would rather just sit back and play a game with a controller in my hand.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

You lazy yo.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Jadeskye

I'm far too lazy to flail around to play videogames. I can barely muster the effort to move my thumbs these days. 

and yes, 3D is god damn stupid but it's not going anywhere unfortunately. I think it'll be bundled technology into every TV we buy in the future. Hopefully it won't stand out too much during the purchase process, like having SD card slots in your TV.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust

Yep. Pretty much hate it. Gimmicks!

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Too bad that's the way it's going to go. We've already become the old people hating on the youngsters of today.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By damodar

It seems that there is a fairly large anti-3D contingent here at Giant Bomb. 

I don't have tooooo much interest in gaming in 3D. Don't have the TV and I'd rather development and/or system resources going to something like that, especially if I can't use it. I'm not at all against 3D technology though. I'm all for some RealD, but getting that at the cinema with a movie that actually warrants it is enough.

Mind you, I can see how cool things could be done with it. Playing a game like Gran Turismo with some depth would both make the cockpit view stuff a lot cooler and also make it easier to judge corners etc. And I'm sure some developers could come up with some really out there things to do with it. 

As for motion control, again, it depends on how it's done. I don't mind the occaisonal bit of sixaxis if it's used cleverly and fairly unobtrusively. As for things like the Wii and PS Move and even Natal, it totally depends on the quality of the ideas and executions. Some Wii stuff is brilliant, some isn't. Some Move stuff could be really, really cool. Some could be crap. I think it's when you get guys like Kojima coming up with weird uses for that stuff that you see the true worth. Look at the way something like the phantom hourglass makes use of all the DS functionality in really clever ways at least once or twice, including the mic, closing the lid etc.

I'm not super hyped about either, but I also don't write either of them off as I think cool stuff can be done with both and maybe in conjunction with each other. For example, if you have to wear glasses for a 3DTV, that would make it much easier for a camera to track the orientation of your head. So if you were playing something with Move, the camera could track your head and that would control the game camera accordingly, which could look pretty cool with the 3D effect. 

I dunno, this post got kinda long considering I'm basically a filthy fence sitter. 

Wow, that Dead Space video looks pretty awesome. My "Glasses" are a little bit blurry, since I just quickly made them with some plastic and textas to see the amazing attack of the movies 3D effects, but that does look pretty sweet...

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By jaqen_hghar

You are never the only one. No matter what it is. 

But I am glad to say that I am not so narrow minded that I hate 3D and motion controls. So far what I have seen aren't that impressive, but I think both might turn into cool extra features. I am looking forward to seeing how Natal turns out, and I would love to get my hand on those nVidia 3D glasses.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By meteora

No, there's quite a stir of opposition to 3D on GiantBomb. I'm all welcome to it, but I'm not really all that hyped on it. 

Not nearly as big of a deal to me as much as motion control. Now THAT has potential to change how we game in the future, and how our children will be playing games.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By JB16

Forcing 3d on me is by far the stupidest marketing move I have ever heard. I mean how many people even own a 3d tv? 12 people? 20 people? Why in the fuck would I want to wear glasses all the damn time just so I can get the "full experience" from a game?!?!!?!

RRAAAAGGGEEEEEE

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By krazy_kyle

I think 3D is the way forward, the only downside for me is the expenses and the fact I have to wear glasses all of the time, which is bad because I have to wear prescription glasses all of the time. If they could find a way to lose the glasses, it will be great.
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bhhawks78

The only two games I've ever seen do anything better than not get ruined by motion control besides sports games were silent hill and boomblox.

3d and motion control is the worst part of this generation, foolish publishers like ubisoft who see it as the future are going to eat those extra costs and lose a ton of money.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Meowayne

I love 3D and motion controls and can't wait for them to become industry standard and being implemented in awesome ways.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I don't really care about 3D, I won't go out of my way to see it but if something I'm interested in has it I won't complain. 
I can see the benefits of it I guess I just don't think it's neccessary.  

There is a lab at my uni that makes 3D models of objects (using radioactive particles to see the inside) and then viewing it on a big screen with 3D glasses to get a 3D structure inside and out. So that is a potential use I can see catching on.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Buscemi

I love 3D in real life.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By time allen

if it actually adds something to the experience, then i'm all for motion controls and 3d, but if it's just there for the sake of being there, i don't care for it.

i felt the same about avatar, actually. i watched it in 3d in the theater, and in 1080p on my friend's huge lcd tv; the latter was my favourite.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Lunar_Aura

A 3D first person boxing/fencing game would be cool using motion controls.

crazygirl413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By crazygirl413

I don't  like them.  They can ruin a good movie, because they try to make things come out of you.   Motion controls are not that much fun because they are really crappy right now... so in other words I don't like it. 

Though when the technology gets a lot better they could easily create a kick ass game that you can actually experience using these. 
Like instead of 3D, how about a helmet allows to walk around in the game like you are actually there!  Now that would be cool.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Matfei90

Current 2D is fine for me, I really don't see the point in 3D, especially for games.

lolicanseeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lolicanseeyou
@TheGremp said:
" You're in luck!  Those are two of the things that 90% of the people here hate.  I don't want 3D in my games, but I've recently gained interest in stereoscopic photography.  I think 3D is overused in movies these days, but when done right, you can get some really cool results. "
yup, except ppl like the wii, i dont tho
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@lilman1101: I especially hate 3D when they include depth of field effects.  Barf.
Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Joshakazam

YES! i agree with pretty much everything here.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox

Fuck 3D and motion capable controls! Also fuck color and analog sticks! And rumbly controllers! And high definition! And 5.1 audio (you want me to buy a speaker JUST for the bass? INSANITY! I only have two ears) ! And achievements! And multiplayer! And the internet!

Those things will never work well and will never stick around. John Lennon was right about stereo audio never catching on, too. Good thing he put all his producing efforts into the mono mix of Beatles' songs.

scarycrayons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By scarycrayons

I think I'm one of the few people who thinks that 3D gaming will be a nice refreshing change. 

I don't really understand why everyone hates the idea of it so much, especially when the 3DS doesn't need you to wear glasses.  Sure, it's not 'necessary', but it's always good to step forwards, isn't it?  I quite like the idea of having a game world look seem more immersive.  How is that a BAD thing?

Then again, I'm one of those people who spent most of their time in games like Shenmue just checking out the scenery...
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By monetarydread
@scarycrayons: 
Thank god that for once I am not the only poster on this thread that is pro 3d for once.  I won't go into too much detail because you can see it in the 1000 other threads that have popped up in the past week on this subject. I will say though that I think of 3d as a step up like 1080p was from 480i. It isn't necessary but I think it makes things more enjoyable.
Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By MercuryCrusader

I hate things and want people on a message board to agree with me so I can feel like my opinion matters.