[POLL] What gamer market do you think Nintendo is going to try and focus on with their next system?

• 51 results
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By crusader8463
No Caption Provided
With E3 looming a few weeks away, and one of the big events of this E3 being Nintendo's reveal of their new system, I thought it would be interesting to see which demographic the GB community thinks Nintendo is going to focus on this time around. Do you think they are going to try and refocus on the traditional gamers that grew up with Nintendo and make the kind of games they have been asking for? Are they going to try and recapture the casual audience again? Do you think that maybe they are going to try and go for a more even hybrid of the two this time around? Maybe they are going to do some crazy new thing that no one expected?

Whatever you think they may choose to focus on this time around, do you think that is the right move for Nintendo or do you think that they should go in another direction?    
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee

It has to be A. It better be A.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By laserbolts
I picked a little of both. I'm not sure how they will accomplish this. With the talk of touch screen and still motion controls I still have no desire to get back into nintendo.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

I have no idea. We don't even know what games there are going to be for it (besides the obvious Mario/Zelda line-up).

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kjellm87

By the sound of it they're aiming both, now they have brought new gamers to the Nintendo brand they will try making a console that removes the issues the Wii had, mostly making it easier for 3rd party.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish

The Wii continues to sell to the casual audience.

Asking them to buy a new $200-$300 toy at this point would be stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i expect nintendo will keep on doing what they always do - make good games that everyone can enjoy. and hopefully more of them 

but then, third party support should hopefully be much improved. if the console is easy enough to port to i hope developers will take the time to make another version of their game from 360/PS3, and the new Nintendo console has the potential to run games better than either of those which would be a good selling point 

plus their current support from the Wii should transition over and take care of the casuals. everybody wins? 
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SlightConfuse

A nintendo needs to get third parties on board if they want to have sucess.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they're going to try, unsuccessfully in my opinion, to please regulars and casuals alike.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By DjCmeP

I answered C. but I have a feeling they are gonna release 2 or 3 "Hardcore" titles and then they go back to that casual BS.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SomeJerk

Voted "F. What gives. A good game is a good game, even if it's about playing with kittens. If you've brainwashed yourself into hating everything with a hint of casual-friendliness in it you're a sad person who's missing out because you can't stop hating".

I'll take it back if they fail to deliver a new F-Zero game in the life span of the Project Cafe console. I need a fix.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

they are going to focus on casual gaming again. they know it's where the money is at with buying games.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By Yanngc33

If it ain't A than I'm out

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Yanngc33 said:
Yeah... I agree. I hope they "wow" me next month at E3.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By Yanngc33
@SpikeSpiegel said:
@Yanngc33 said:
Yeah... I agree. I hope they "wow" me next month at E3.
Me too but E3 may not be enough. They wowed us last year and nothing really changed
Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cold_Wolven

A well rounded console would be one that goes for both casual and core crowds and if the controller does indeed have a touch screen as well as dual analogue then it's very possible for Nintendo to aim at both. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@iam3green said: 

they are going to focus on casual gaming again. they know it's where the money is at with buying games.

The Wii was very popular with casual gamers, but game sales themselves for the thing are very bad, save for a few big titles.  Most of the casuals who bought a Wii, were only interested in playing Wii Sports.

The original rumour stated that this was Nintendo's attempt to make something that can compete with the Xbox and PS3 and actually sell games, and I completely believe that.  It'll be more similar to what they're doing with the DS - something that still appeals to the casual gamers who might buy one on an impulse and play a few games like Brain Training, but with enough power and third party support to sell things like the new GTA game.
MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MannyMAR

They're probably focusing on the hardcore gamers this time around without trying to alienate the casual audience they picked up with the Wii. I foresee crazy backwards compatibility with the Wii, GC, Wii controllers, and the other peripherals. 

I just hope that the system specs are future focused and not just slightly outdoing the PS3 and Xbox. I want 60 FPS with Mega texture technology in every MFing game dammit! /sarcasm
Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Vexxan

D, I think they got some crazy shit up their sleeves. 

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zityz

Clearly the NEVER crowd. Those assholes have to somehow go to those mario kart parties.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

They've been trying to straddle both markets before and I think it only makes sense for them to do it now.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#24  Edited By Grumbel

My guess would be that they do it the same way as with the 3DS, i.e. a bit hardcore and a bit of casual stuff. The problem with that is that the offering on the 3DS has been completely underwhelming, a lot of recycling ware and lame sequels and core hardware feature that nobody really knows what to do with. So I am not exactly expecting miracles from Nintendos. I mean what exactly would the hardcore gamer even want from a Nintendo console at this point? Running Mario, Zelda and Metroid in HD would sure be nice, but that is essentially the same stuff like we had for the last 20 years and it is getting really really old. And looking at the next Zelda certainly doesn't increase my confidence in Nintendo either, as after all the talk about great changes to the formula,  it looks exactly the same as Twilight Princess with a water color shader on top.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Karl_Boss

PC gamers

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By damswedon

A. And I won't care yet again.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

whatever makes them the $$$$$$$$$$$

so casuals
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By fox01313

Imaginary magic 8 ball here predicts more with the vitality sensor, wacky peripherals that attach to a headset or hat, going completely towards capturing the people who love minecraft/farmville while furthering going all Japan levels of crazy while giving more of their core franchises to other companies meaning more things like Metroid Other M 'confession time' with more franchises.

Avatar image for thebaddestofthemall
TheBaddestOfThemAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted C because the Wii is a popular console for the casual market so I think this time they will endow their new system with the specs PS3 and XBox 360 take for granted. I've also read somewhere but I'm not sure of its validity that Nintendo claims their new console is easily more powerful than its competitions. If that is true then when Sony and Microsoft get to show their new consoles I think it would be at least x2 of the one from Nintendo. Good luck , Mario.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zeforgotten

The "Ultimate Hardcore Super Duper Fantastic Almost-Myth-Like Gamers" of course.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I think they are going to try to win back the hardcore, they know alot of them already left or bought a xbox 360 and shelfed the wii. I think they are going to try to appeal to everybody and really bring competition to the current gen consoles because you can play every game in 1080p. Now they have the money to invest in better hardware from all the profit from the wii's casual gaming audience.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By penguindust

I think they're going to swing back to the traditionals for a while until the time is right for a new Wii or maybe by then, they can sell the next Nintendo console to both groups.  But, for now I think they're moving back to the base who generally buy more over the length of a console cycle.  I think the competition from Microsoft and Sony will be a difficult challenge outside of Japan.  Inside Japan, I believe they're got to do something to reignite the Japanese console market.   

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MysteriousBob

B makes money.

Nintendo wants money.
They will continue with B.

As someone who has never been a fan of Nintendo, I will continue not to care.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even the suits at Nintendo have to realize that a majority of casual people playing the Wii aren't going to be willing to fork over another few hundred dollars for a new system. So, I picked A. They need to cater to the people willing to buy into a new hardware generation, and that's us.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude
@somejerk said:
Voted "F. What gives. A good game is a good game, even if it's about playing with kittens. If you've brainwashed yourself into hating everything with a hint of casual-friendliness in it you're a sad person who's missing out because you can't stop hating".

I'll take it back if they fail to deliver a new F-Zero game in the life span of the Project Cafe console. I need a fix.
I miss F-Zero so much. I also can't believe Nintendo let Mario Golf just disappear. My two favorite franchises. Nintendo must hate me.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By Marz

If they don't try to get good third party support, then this new console will have been made in vain.   Their first party support is fine but they are missing out badly on those third party software sales.

Rongaryen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Rongaryen

I think it'll be the Gamecube all over again.  They'll try and get the hardcore but, the hardcore won't care and the casual are still okay with their Wii's.  They'll have the Nintendo faithful but, won't get many who is rockin' a 360 or PS3.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 71Ranchero

I dont think they will focus on a market at all. When you remove any barriers that would be associated with certain market demographics you will open up to a wider group of potential profit. I think Nintendo is inching closer and closer to the Apple mentality but without the high end price gouging. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crusader8463

I hope they start doing something new. Personally I think they have been milking their NES/SNES franchises for far too long, and they need new stuff. 

If they have to keep milking, then I would love to see them remake the Pikman games. I always thought the games looked neat back in the day, but I was not about to buy a gamecube for just one game. Of course they would need to do other stuff too, but that would be a step towards getting me to buy one.
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kjellm87
@crusader8463 said:
I hope they start doing something new. Personally I think they have been milking their NES/SNES franchises for far too long, and they need new stuff. 

And that they do, they are one of the developers with most IPs in fact.
Here is their newest.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Enigma777

The mentally challenged, cause as far as I'm concerned you have to be mentally challenged to buy their shit again. 

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. 
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By kingzetta

The Jackass market

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By crusader8463
@Kjellm87 said:
@crusader8463 said:

Here is their newest.
One new JRPG that looks like it is never leaving Japan is hardly changing anything. What else are they doing? I'm asking out of honest curiosity, because unless it has mario/zelda/metroid/kirby/donkey kong in the title I honestly can't recall the last time Nintendo produced an interesting looking game.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kjellm87
@crusader8463 said:
@Kjellm87 said:
@crusader8463 said:

Here is their newest.
One new JRPG that looks like it is never leaving Japan is hardly changing anything. What else are they doing? I'm asking out of honest curiosity, because unless it has mario/zelda/metroid/kirby/donkey kong in the title I honestly can't recall the last time Nintendo produced an interesting looking game.

By searching Nintendo on GB and watch the list of developed games the list is far from bad, but they won't ever steal the spotlight from Mario and Zelda and other classics.
Like Chibi-Robo for Gamecube, I hope many played that.
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TehFlan
@Kjellm87 said:
@crusader8463 said:

Here is their newest.
I hope that game gets a US release. Looks neat.

More on topic, I think they're likely to try and appeal to both "traditional gamers" and casuals, but at the same time, I don't think anyone ever really knows what Nintendo has planned.
mutley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mutley

Both.

Casuals buy the hardware and forget about it
Hardcore stay and buy the software.

Win=Win.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Otacon

Iwata has already said they want better relations with third party's this time round. This could be taken to mean that Nintendo want to have big multiplatform releases on their system as well as others as opposed to just better third party exclusives. This obviously means that they have to conform to a lot of the standards that MS and Sony do, thus appealing to the classic Nintendo fan. This time around the innovation is implementing into traditional gameplay instead of compromising it slightly, which happened with a lot of games on the Wii. So there is still the innovative method at work, and I;m sure the advertising will still have mum's and celebrities on the system, but I have a feeling Nintendo will be selling this as a video game machine, even to more casual players. 

Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sinkwater

The same crowd they've targeted since the NES.  Aimed at a younger crowd but appeals to everyone.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By 1337W422102

B, obviously.  They already have the "A" people's money with their constant re-releases of games they've already bought multiple times.

Bonsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bonsai

The fact that they have a proper controller this time implies that they might be going more for the "hardcore" crowd.