Pretty Excited About the Most Cliched Game of All Time

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By SmugDarkLoser

The most cliched game this generation award goes to... *pause for suspense* Star Ocean 4.

Let's see, where to begin.
It's a space opera remniscent of all those low budget (and awesome!) sci-fi originals

Girl or guy?  I can't tell!  Ahh... what am I saying, there's no boobies!

The little girl who somehow ends up in your party.  Luckily she's the developing pureness character, not the little warrior.  You other have an Aeris like character or an innocent kid and the bow weilding somewhat fiesty side lead
--> And one thing I can't understand.  Her character profile says she's 15?  Say what now?  She looks like she's 7.

Edit:  Wow, this is fucking gay.  I changed my post to edit a some spelling mistakes and when I posted only half came through.  This is getting really gay around here with posts not going through properly.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

The most cliched game this generation award goes to... *pause for suspense* Star Ocean 4.

Let's see, where to begin.
It's a space opera remniscent of all those low budget (and awesome!) sci-fi originals

Girl or guy?  I can't tell!  Ahh... what am I saying, there's no boobies!

The little girl who somehow ends up in your party.  Luckily she's the developing pureness character, not the little warrior.  You other have an Aeris like character or an innocent kid and the bow weilding somewhat fiesty side lead
--> And one thing I can't understand.  Her character profile says she's 15?  Say what now?  She looks like she's 7.

Edit:  Wow, this is fucking gay.  I changed my post to edit a some spelling mistakes and when I posted only half came through.  This is getting really gay around here with posts not going through properly.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Snipzor

Never cared for the series. That's how I feel about it, and it will stay that way.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

Don't forget about the name of the main character.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By c1337us

Good. Just so long as you know.

Actually it seems like it could be interesting, but I havent played the series before so that trend will likely continue with this iteration.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zityz

Wait so Star Ocean 4 will be the most cliched game this generation? As opposed to, a majority of every other RPG within the past 10 years?

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By shadows_kill

1 question... what does cliched mean?

im sure the game will turn out good (unless SE messes up again..) but to me the worst part is how messed up the characters are..

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
zityz said:
"Wait so Star Ocean 4 will be the most cliched game this generation? As opposed to, a majority of every other RPG within the past 10 years?"
But this has every stereotype.   It's just so awesome. shadows_kill said:
"1 question... what does cliched mean?

im sure the game will turn out good (unless SE messes up again..) but to me the worst part is how messed up the characters are.."

Essentially when something is overused.  A cliche phrase typically means something that has lost its meaning. 
I guess another word that's similar is niche-- this is basically when something is designed for a specific role.  For example, many hardcore pc strategy games have a strong niche for complete pc nerds (i joke of course)

niche ---> ni-shay (but ni-ch is perfectly acceptable and I guess more proper when talking in english)
cliche---> cle---shay (don't say it one syllable, you'll sound silly)

It might have been lost because my post got cut, but I think this game is going to be freaking awesome.  The characters are fine.  The main character looks fine from behind (the way you'll mainly see him). A lot of the other character designs look damn neat---> the robot guy and dual sword guy in particular.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew

I love how even when SmugDarkLoser likes a game, he posts in such a way that gives the impression that he doesn't really like it.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dauragon

Star Ocean 4 is gonna be frikken sweet.

Good old space opera fun!

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shadows_kill

No Caption Provided
the girl is about 6 years old and the thing thats going to kill her is the best character i have seen in this game....

thanks for the def. ^ ^
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^she's 15.
i actually read into it.  Apparently she had some weird thing...something about having her heart stopped from beating and lack of growth and talking like a small child.  I guess she has the mind of a 15 year old

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shadows_kill
SmugDarkLoser said:
"^she's 15.
i actually read into it.  Apparently she had some weird thing...something about having her heart stopped from beating and lack of growth and talking like a small child.  I guess she has the mind of a 15 year old"
ok... thats dumb sorta. what does she do in the game then?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew

That's messed up. She doesn't fight, does she? That sounds unsafe.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By ZombiePie
SmugDarkLoser said:
"^she's 15.
i actually read into it.  Apparently she had some weird thing...something about having her heart stopped from beating and lack of growth and talking like a small child.  I guess she has the mind of a 15 year old"
Ohh so she has the the Gary Coleman disorder, that explains everything.

Anyways I'm uneasy about this game. The last Star Ocean game had a really loony plot twist that underminded everything in the story so I don't know if I can go through that again.
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shadows_kill
ZombiePie said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"^she's 15.
."
dude that was great xD
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
ZombiePie said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"^she's 15.

Anyways I'm uneasy about this game. The last Star Ocean game had a really loony plot twist that underminded everything in the story so I don't know if I can go through that again."
what are you talking about?  The last Star Ocean didn't have an ending...

Either way this is a prequel so none of that matters.  It starts with WW3 making everyone flee, not bad I'd say.
Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rivix
LordAndrew said:
"I love how even when SmugDarkLoser likes a game, he posts in such a way that gives the impression that he doesn't really like it."
haha. yeah. 
Anyway, I've never played any iteration of the series, and I'm not likely to start. The game does have very nice graphics; I'll give it that.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pibo47

Fuck jrpg's. I hate them so much. HATE HATE HATE! Pie is good tho.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Pibo47 said:
"Fuck jrpg's. I hate them so much. HATE HATE HATE! Pie is good tho."
You hate jrpgs!  Well FUCK YOU!!!
mucho lulz
Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

what does chichalelsed mean?!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By ZombiePie
SmugDarkLoser said:
"ZombiePie said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"^she's 15.

Anyways I'm uneasy about this game. The last Star Ocean game had a really loony plot twist that underminded everything in the story so I don't know if I can go through that again."

Either way this is a prequel so none of that matters.  It starts with WW3 making everyone flee, not bad I'd say."
I never said the game had an ending I merely pointed out that the plot twist in the last Star Ocean was disappointing, and I really hope they don't do the same here. Also it's still based on the same universe and said plot twist may rear its ugly end during the latter parts of the game. INEED to know where this game goes story wise before I get invested in it. But then again not much is known about the story and I'm always open to the game if the gameplay is good enough.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Red

It actually looks pretty non-cliched for a SE JRPG. Jumping, real-time combat, space. Much better than games like Infinite Undiscovery, the Last Remnant and White Knight Chronicles.
Actually doesn't look bad, the combat looks fun and breezy enough to get through the story.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crunchUK

lol i wish i cared about jrpgs enough to know what you're talking about but there you go

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shazam

Once I find out a game has a token annoying kid, I don't buy it.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust

Androgynous hero? - check
Cat girl? - check
Goth lolita? - check
Garish apparel? - check, check, check
Muddy, angst-ridden story with overly long cut scenes? - "waiter, check please!"

Still, I am very interested in this game.  I'm on an otaku kick, lately, due to some good anime (Desert Punk, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue) and Valkyria Chronicles.  I really haven't been motivated this console cycle to try out any of the JRPGs that have shown up on the 360 or PS3, but this game could be the one that makes me return to the genre.  The Famitsu review was positive (9/9/8/8), even though they seem to believe it's for 'hardcore' RPG fans only.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
ZombiePie said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"ZombiePie said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"^she's 15.

Either way this is a prequel so none of that matters.  It starts with WW3 making everyone flee, not bad I'd say."
I never said the game had an ending I merely pointed out that the plot twist in the last Star Ocean was disappointing, and I really hope they don't do the same here. Also it's still based on the same universe and said plot twist may rear its ugly end during the latter parts of the game. INEED to know where this game goes story wise before I get invested in it. But then again not much is known about the story and I'm always open to the game if the gameplay is good enough."

What are you talking about!?  There was NO plot twist in SO3, it ended abruptly
But I can already tell you how it ends--> in a format that makes SO1 possible.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Red said:
"It actually looks pretty non-cliched for a SE JRPG. Jumping, real-time combat, space. Much better than games like Infinite Undiscovery, the Last Remnant and White Knight Chronicles.
Actually doesn't look bad, the combat looks fun and breezy enough to get through the story."
Why do you mention the Infinite in that?  That game was pretty unique.
Last Remnant did stuff a bit differently as well (although not too different).

Obviously havent played White Knight
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jayge_

Edge. Fucking. Maverick.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Yes, Jayge, we get it.  lol.
But honestly, who cares?  This is straight up sci-fi, not something like too human where it's sci-fi but more unique.  This is more like ME's style.

Granted though, it is japanese.  You do have bunny racing side quest options.  I actually looked it up though- this game has a lot of stuff.  Obviously the main quest and side dungeons, but bunnies, battle arenas, a ship with many things to do (I know, vague, but still), a rooming system (party interactions), side relationship options, collection airships, and stuff like that
        This is going to be as good as the PS1 star ocean, at least.