PS3 will overtake the Xbox 360 in sales a year from now?

• 56 results
bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bunnyboiler

Seems to be creeping up in units at a pretty consistent rate.  It was like 10 million units behind a year ago, and now its only 4.3 million behind.

Xbox 360 -  40 million - Been out for 5 years 

PlayStation 3 -  35.7 million - Been out for 4 years     

Unless Natal is a success the PS3 is going to edge out in sales at some point?    

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By JB16

Uhhh and I care because? Am I going to get a cash prize if PS3 pulls ahead or something?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Lunar_Aura

The fight for second place has never been more exciting. Seriously. It never has.
bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bunnyboiler
@JB16:  360 fanboys will care. 
Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Close a 4.3 million unit gap in one year in this economy? Unlikely.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lunar_Aura

And don't forget like um the 360s break and stuff so most ppl bought more than 1 so really the PS3 is ahead if you count household console penetration instead of raw sales.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Jadeskye

No Caption Provided
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Geno

After a very successful 2009, and seeming to continue that trend in 2010, I wouldn't be very surprised if that were the case. 

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cooljammer00

Not with the way Sony can't keep up with the demand by actually, you know, producing the damn things.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By yani

I hope ps3 sales continue to do well so devs have to start doing a better job of porting games to ps3. It sucks that people who don't have both get lazy ports of games but until the numbers improve it will continue.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gamefreak9

Only way this information should interest someone is if they are Sony investors or Biased idiots. 

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Rhaknar

all MS has to do is launch a 360 slim or lower the price of the current one to gain a sales boost, just like ps3 did a few months ago. your theory only works if the prices stayed as they are now, and we all know that's not happening

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#13  Edited By Valkyr

We all bash the new 3D trend but blu-ray movies sales are sky rocketing, 3D feature on  HDTV's are slowly becoming a standard (as a product) and the ps3 is the most obvious choice if you want to experience that and a lot of awesome first and second party exclusives.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By haggis

The gap was made up primarily by increased sales from the PS3 slim, and those sales have begun to taper off. Sales might reach parity eventually, but only if Microsoft doesn't introduce a new form factor for the Xbox (which I think MS will do eventually). And it doesn't factor in the Move and Natal (or Wave, or whatever they're calling it). I think there are too many unknowns at this point to make a solid prediction. I do think that over time the sales will probably wind up roughly equal for both consoles. But it's so late in this generation that any benefit to having higher console sales is moot.

Either way, it doesn't matter much. The installed base of both consoles is high enough to sustain relatively expensive AAA exclusives, at least for the short term. So why does this even matter? Especially since, as others have pointed out, the Wii has left both in the dust in terms of console sales. The Wii is a great example of how winning the console sales race isn't quite the same as winning the overall battle. Wii sold a lot of consoles, but still can't sell games (unless they're first-party). This gen is looking like a three-way stalemate to me. Which just means that no matter what console you chose, you've pretty much won.

Just remember that in previous generations, the losing console (or consoles) tended to get left behind in terms of game development. That hasn't happened this time.

DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaemonicGrim

Wow people (ok not everyone) if you're not interested or not constructive just don't post. 

I am interested however. I personally think it's good to see an increase in the PS3. I have both systems and try not to be biased but I do prefer the PS3 in the long run. Though I find myself buying more multiplatform games on the xbox simply due to my group of friends. If more people I knew were buying PS3s then I'd certainly have more games on that and probably be happier for it too. Don't get me wrong, I love the xbox too, I just love the PS3 more.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ChickenPants

Not that anyone of us should really care about the ''console wars'' but regardless of whether the PS3 overtakes the 360 Sony has still managed to go from topdog by a country mile to battling for 2nd place in the space of one generational cycle.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vorbis

Healthy compeition is good, if one console was too far ahead then things would get sloppy.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Probally near their numbers at the end of the year, maybe not overtake, however really near.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By c1337us

In my time I have bought 3 Xbox360's compared to 1 PS3 even though I am only use one of each . The other 2 360's have contributed to sales and now they are contributing to my councils land fill. I am not trying to come across as a fanboy because I really don't care about who "wins" but I wonder how many stories like that had to do with the 360's sales success.
SneakyPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SneakyPenguins

I dont see why people care, 360 is a better system for me and many others but PS3 has a good ad campaign going and good exclusives coming out (finally) so ya their sales will go up. 

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By WickedCobra03
@haggis said:

" The gap was made up primarily by increased sales from the PS3 slim, and those sales have begun to taper off. Sales might reach parity eventually, but only if Microsoft doesn't introduce a new form factor for the Xbox (which I think MS will do eventually).

Yeah, but what about the probably tens of thousands of Xbox 360 consoles that broke and people just went out and bought a new one, that probably makes up a good chunk of their sales figures.  I know 2 friends that just bought a new core/arcade unit because theirs broke and it was like 175 at the time for MS to fix, and didn't feel like fighing on the phone and shipping it.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By foggel

Oh dear! But the xbox have either way sold more early on, which means that microsoft have made more money. So yeah, take that sony.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Probably not.

Also, this year seems pretty weak for Sony.  Last year (and this Q1) were just insane, with all their big exclusives coming out.  But what do they have on tap for Q4 2010?  Killzone 3?  What else?  I guess we'll see at Electronic 3.

LtKetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LtKetch

On a interesting side note I seem to remember some industry types thinking that the markets would be split this generation. With Japan and Europe being dominated by Sony and North America being dominated by Microsoft.  Now I haven't seen numbers by region for a while, but last time I did this seemed to be the case. So if Sony can make a run in NA, Microsoft may be a solid third place. But as has been pointed out both are healthy and getting killed by the Wii, so "winning" is less important to gamers than in the past. 

Natal, if priced at the rumored $150, will not be the shot in the arm that Mircosoft wants.  Anything over $99 is too much.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By zero_

It'll be neck and neck like this for a while - but I think eventually when the next generation of systems come along, the PS3 will have a larger lead only due to Sony's approach to exclusivity, which'll be the true divider between the relatively identical systems. I think it's a smarter move to put money into first party development and ensured IP exclusivity like Sony have been doing with their recent titles; God of War 3, Heavy Rain, Uncharted etc. then to purchase it because as game development costs rise, third part developers are going to eventually release their games as multiplatform.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss

And this is why this discussion never works, because every time it comes up the PS3 fans flock in to discredit the 360 numbers with assumptions and rumours. I've never seen a discussion on this topic that didn't have at least a dozen posts about how inaccurate the 360 numbers "probably" are.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mono_Listo

By the EOL of both consoles, I do see the PS3 outselling the 360. The gaming community at large have already made their purchases (by and large). Now there's "the rest" of the market. And to them, the PS3 does everything a 360 does for a comparable price - but also plays Bluray disks, has cheap storage, WiFi, free on-line access, and a powerful brand name for ex-gamers over the age of 20. There's also the pervasive fact that yet another Microsoft product crashes and breaks all the time. Just from my own experience, many people declined to purchase a next gen console because the 360 was shoddily manufactured and the PS3 was too expensive. Now that the cost of the PS3 is appropriate, they're buying them.

But who knows. There's so many factors to consider here. And at the end of the day it won't matter, because before we know it the next generation will be upon us. 

Not that that matters much. Shit, the PS2 still sells like a mother.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By haggis
@WickedCobra03: Even if it were 40,000 consoles that were bought as replacements for those that broke (I doubt it's anywhere near that high), it's a drop in the bucket. We're talking 40 million consoles, here. 40,000 would be just one tenth of one percent of the total number of consoles sold. If the number were 200,000, that's just half of one percent of total sales. I'm suspecting the real number of people who went out and bought replacement consoles rather than waiting for the warranty repair is somewhere south (maybe far south) of 20,000.

As far as I know, out-of-warranty  Xbox repairs have never been more than $100. And I know at least three people (not including myself) who have had out-of-warranty repairs done by Microsoft for free. So if people are going out and buying replacement consoles rather than getting them repaired ... well, let's just say I wish I had that kind of money. Seriously, I've sent my console in twice to Microsoft (once right in the middle of the original brouhaha over the red-rings). I was on the phone five minutes each time, and the coffin got to me in two days. The first console was out for two weeks, and the second only a week. You make it sound like this huge hardship, but in reality it's just an inconvenience.

@Zero_: I'm not sure I get how Sony's approach to exclusivity is all that different from that of Microsoft, which has been careful to both court its own exclusive titles (like Mass Effect, Gears of War, etc.) while continually trying to undermine long-term Playstation exclusives (chief examples being Final Fantasy XIII and Grand Theft Auto IV).
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Whisperkill

Who cares unless you work for one of those companies?

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By EVO
@Brodehouse said:
" But what do they have on tap for Q4 2010?  Killzone 3?  What else?  I guess we'll see at Electronic 3. "
The Last Guardian?
Zen313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Zen313

I dont care what you beleive, it might not be this year but the PS3 will win the "console war". Dont let Sony do another price drop. Even 50 dollars off and sales will go thru the roof.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iamjohn

HAY GUYZ LETS FETISHIZE SALES LIKE IT MATTERS TO US!

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By davidwitten22
@Zen313 said:
" I dont care what you beleive, it might not be this year but the PS3 will win the "console war". Dont let Sony do another price drop. Even 50 dollars off and sales will go thru the roof. "
Nintendo won the console war. Sony and Microsoft will not pass them.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Meowshi

36.4 of Xbox 360 users bought a second 360 after their first one malfunctioned.  Even taken those numbers into account, the 360 still far outweighs the PS3 in sales.  Seriously, do the math.  It's true.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Meowshi said:
" 36.4 of Xbox 360 users bought a second 360 after their first one malfunctioned.
Where did that number come from?
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

1.  I don't care.  I don't check VGchartz weekly and anticipate fucking sales numbers.
2.  As for this whole "omg u bought 3 360's"...the 360 has a three year warranty.  The majority of broken units would have been fixed under that warranty, not replaced with a newly purchased unit.  Also, look at multiplatform sales.  I guess millions of people bought extra copies of MW2 to duck tape on top of their broken Xbox's huh?  Oh...and of course no one has ever had their PS3 break and buy a new one...and no one bought a slim even though they already had a fat. >_>
3.  The 360 still has a huge lead over the PS3 in America, and it's very noticeable.  Considering that I live in America, I would rather play with my buds than Jason Lee across the Pacific or Samuel O'Reilly across the Atlantic.         

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Meowshi said:
" 36.4 of Xbox 360 users bought a second 360 after their first one malfunctioned.  Even taken those numbers into account, the 360 still far outweighs the PS3 in sales.  Seriously, do the math.  It's true. "
That's a completely fictional number.  Please remember that most of these surveys are based on a very small focus group, usually of only a few hundred people.
And if you've ever been to University, you should know very well that surveys are always made to manipulate a certain view.  You can make a survey to prove anything.

The 360 warranty should have prevented most people from outright having to rebuy one, and I know many PS3 owners who bought a second one when the Slim came out, or simply because it broke down and didn't have anything covering it like the 360 does.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@EVO said:
" @Brodehouse said:
" But what do they have on tap for Q4 2010?  Killzone 3?  What else?  I guess we'll see at Electronic 3. "
The Last Guardian? "
I haven't heard anything about that game since Electronic 3 last year, so my belief that it's actually a 2010 release is wavering.

This isn't necessarily an attack on Sony, because with Alan Wake out, I can't bring to mind any Microsoft titles either, outside of Natal.
bunnyboiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bunnyboiler
@Brodehouse said:
" Probably not.  Also, this year seems pretty weak for Sony.  Last year (and this Q1) were just insane, with all their big exclusives coming out.  But what do they have on tap for Q4 2010?  Killzone 3?  What else?  I guess we'll see at Electronic 3. "
What else??  Gran Turismo 5,  SOCOM 4, Killzone 3,  Agent, The Last Guardian,  LittleBigPlanet 2, Ape Escape PS3,  Under Siege, White Knight Chronicles 2 and Another Century's Episode R.

Also to games to be announced are Final Fantasy Versus XIII,  inFamous 2, Resistance 3 and The Getaway 3.

Is that enough for you? Considering they've already released God of War III, MAG and Heavy Rain.
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By eclipsesis
@jadeskye:

Awe look at the hamsters fingers.

Back on topic: What if Playstation move is a success? 

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@SneakyPenguins:
I own all consoles, PS3 does, and has been proven to have not only more, but better exclusives. Now if you just prefer Halo and Gears, then that is total opinion which you are entitled to, but I feel with the release of Alan Wake the 360 FINALLY got a good exclusive. PS3 is overflowing with exclusives that span a larger genre range than 360. This is obvious fact, but to which you prefer is obvious opinion. Saying PS3 has no exclusives is just an ignorant 360fanboy statement.
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Rockdalf

@eclipsesis: It already is.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By toowalrus

This news is fucking old. In fact, I was listening to a HotSpot from 2007 were Jeff Gerstmann says "Yeah, by 2010 there could definitly be more PS3's than 360's out there." The fact that we're STILL talking about this just means that Sony is gonna be late.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By sopranosfan

As someone that has purchased 2 360s and 1 PS3 I can somewhat help backup the statement that there is probably a higher percentage of 360s sold to the same person more than once.  BTW I personally prefer my PS3.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xyzygy

A 360 Slim would guarantee Microsoft staying in the lead.  

@LunarAura
said:

" And don't forget like um the 360s break and stuff so most ppl bought more than 1 so really the PS3 is ahead if you count household console penetration instead of raw sales. "

Keep in mind that 360 barely sells at all in Japan. So with that being said, the fact that it still has more sold means there is a big lead in other regions.
btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By btman

~ 3,000  were bought by US government for super computer.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#48  Edited By godzilla_sushi

I'm sure that hot 10 dollar a month PSN will help. ;)

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ravensword

I already bought my PS3, so I really dont care. but Im pretty sure its going to happen eventually unless 360 starts pulling ahead more then they are now. aybe the Slim 360 or Natal will help with this. But I really question how much a difference its going to make if they do end up passing them. What, are Devs going to start targetting PS3 more? News flash, 360 still sells more games.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By flaminghobo
@bunnyboiler said:
" @JB16:  360 fanboys will care.  "
But who cares about fanboys?