• 84 results
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By keyhunter

Achievements have been around for 5 years almost. I don't need no punk ass "trophies".

gimmysumcowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By gimmysumcowbel

i prefer achievements because i like the points better than gold/silver/bronze and the level system. plus i have many many more friends with live to compare them with.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By FunExplosions
@Ineedaname said:
" @Teh_Eel said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" @Teh_Eel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @Teh_Eel said:
" I hate both equally. "
Why? They easily add replayability. "
If a game is good then I will replay it, it should not need achievements or trophies. "
Perhaps not, but they add extra incentive and encourage you to do things you might not bother with otherwise and to continue playing to achieve certain goals.If you don't like them, they're easy enough to ignore, but I think they've been a great addition to gaming and add much more than just bragging rights, as many seem to crisitize them for. "
If people enjoy them that fine but for me they add nothing. "
I agree with this dude. And with most games, I've normally had my fill with one play through. Nothing has the replayability of Baldur's gate 2 to me =( One can hope Dragonage does. "

And I agree with that. Baldurs gate 2 is the epitome of replayability in my mind. I do think the ps3's Trophy format is pretty cool, because if I work really hard on getting 100% on a game, I think it's cool that I get a little something special for it. Plus, it feels good getting that Platinum. It wouldn't be that hard for Microsoft to introduce a parallel to this if they wanted, though.
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Sabata

Trophies are wannabe Achievements.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By asurastrike

I own 15 PS3 games that don't have trophies. So achievements.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Achievements .

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By xyzygy

I only own 2 games with trophies, and i only got one of them for PS3 because I felt it was being neglected. The other one is an exclusive.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't really care much about either but prefer Trophies.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Druminator

I don't have a PS3 (yet) but I plan on only getting exclusive games and playing everything else on my 360. I doubt I will ever play third party games on PS3.

btw I'm getting one soon yay!

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#60  Edited By flaminghobo

Achievements.
I never really got in to the whole trophies thing due to me selling my Playstation 3, before they were added on to games.

Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Canberra

Trophies. 
i bought a 360 about the time gears 2 came out so i seldom play it save for exclusives.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#62  Edited By delta_ass

I find em to be pointless. If I want to replay a game, it's gonna be because I enjoy playing the game, not because I want to do something stupid like defeat 5 bosses while naked and using a pistol. There's absolutely no incentive to getting them, they don't add anything. Well, they do add to your gamerscore. But the gamerscore doesn't do anything either. You can't buy anything on the marketplace with gamerscores or trophies. They're completely meaningless. And most of the achievements these days aren't even achievements. Like... completing a tutorial, that'll earn you some achievement. How is that an achievement? It isn't. There's nothing meaningful about completing the game's tutorial, you're supposed to do that. Or getting 10 headshots, that's something that's bound to happen if you play an FPS. But for some reason that'll also net you some achievement somewhere. It's idiotic. How about the achievement for completing the game? That's no achievement, you bought the damn thing... of course you should've completed the game. 

TSchonbeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By TSchonbeck
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" Achievements. Trophies were a little too late for me. "
So right.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By thecleric

I look at Achievements when I'm looking at someones profile and seeing what kind of games they like and see if we have any similar taste. The guy with hardcore Bioshock achievements, I know is going to like Bioshock, so I'll probably make a new friend. So I don't think they're totally meaningless/

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By harrisonave

I'd like to invest more into my trophies, but I just don't buy enough PS3 games.  Anytime I have to choose between the 360 version of a game and the PS3 version of a game, I always pick the 360 version because of XBox Live AND for the achievement points.  I don't think I have a single trophy...

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@WinterSnowblind said:
" I definitely agree, I think Sony were too late in adding them and it came off as a little bit of a desperate attempt to keep up with Microsoft.  I love achievements, because it tracks my progress as a gamer, it's great to be able to look back at everything I've accomplished on the 360..  I do like the RPG-esque leveling up system the trophies use, but the majority of my games don't even support trophies, so it doesn't really have the same affect, you can't really compare yourself against someone else when somebodies list of games may only include two or three that support trophies, to someones who has 5 or 6.  The whole RPG element falls apart with that.   I also like using achievements as a means to extend replayability in games, I'll usually look through the list and try and go for most of them, but with trophies, I just don't take any notice of them. "
Exactly, Sorny might as well not wasted their time. If it's not there from the start, then whatever is added on will be crap.

Some achievements, however, are ridiculous. I wish Softy would set some guidelines. Eg, if someone creates an achievement that says "Play the multiplayer game 1500 times" that someone should be Shot and/or Fired.  Or the very least it should be rejected. No one wants to play a crap game in multiplayer 1500 times.  Even people with No Lives have more Life than that!
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#68  Edited By citizenkane

I don't really care much about either, but if you had a gun to my head I would pick Achievements.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#69  Edited By TobyD81

Achievements. Not that I'm super hardcore into either system, but PS3 Trophies are so scattershot and late to the game that I can't really use them as a good measurement against others. They're not an accurate e-peen representation, you could say.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achievements because all games have them and that's where all my friends are.

garnsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By garnsr

I started on PS3, and I like the different types of trophies better than different amounts of points.  If I play a 360 game I try for the achievements, and I've finished a few PS3 games that didn't have a trophy patch, but it almost feels like wasting time, when I could be playing something to get more trophies.  Playstation.com has improved their trophy connectivity, I hope that enables the Giant Bomb site to work with it, too. 
I don't understand why people are saying trophies seem tacked on, when they have the same requirements as achievements.  And I think they're a better judge of where someone's at right now, since there are fewer games that support them, you actually have a chance of having most of the available trophies.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By c1337us
@Teh_Eel said:
" @CL60 said:
" @Teh_Eel said:
" I hate both equally. "
Why? They easily add replayability. "
If a game is good then I will replay it, it should not need achievements or trophies. "
This sums up my thoughts exactly.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By CL60

Did it piss anybody else off when they played Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter and seen achievements to get to the top of the leaderboard?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By iam3green
@Teh_Eel said:
" I hate both equally. "
this, i dont' care to much for them. they are pretty much the same thing just one if on the 360 and the other one is on the ps3. the other thing is that if a multiplatform game they both have the same trophies and achievements.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#75  Edited By Jensonb

I think I like both equally. Both systems have plusses and minuses.

chigaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By chigaco

Achievements. They seem more seamless with the game environment, probably because they were simply there first. And it is easier to check achievement and gamerscore than it is to check trophies and those levels that PS3 has.

angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By angelfan91

Achivements are the only reason I ever played TMNT or Cars (never found all the postcards though).  This makes me a bad person doesn't it?
shinyd3mon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By shinyd3mon

In my experience, achievements have the ability to make 'bad' people out of good ones, also known as 'achievement whores'. You know, people who buy/rent the game for the sole purpose of completing it enough for as many points possible, virtually disregarding any of the real things that make a game a game. What a person does with their purchased property is their business, but, c'mon. The fact that there is a market for crappy games (for example, TMNT, or Cars) because of a few easy achievements is appalling.

@angelfan91: 
"ahem* 

I don't really hear much about PS3 owners that do this, even though they are pretty much the same exact thing.. only achievements provide the reward of an addition to a cumulative gamerscore. And that's what makes it evil. >=(

..I don't have a PS3, so I can't really have an unbiased opinion. 

Achievements are way better, though. =D

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By guiseppe

I don't bother at all with trophies. They put them into use way too late for anyone who's had both consoles for a long time.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#80  Edited By Rhaknar

i dont care about either in the sense that i TRY to get them, but easily achievements, if only because it adds up to one single number (the gamerscore)

CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By CharlieTuna

It's all about the rare achievements for me, love the giantbomb achievement tracker, the overall number is utterly pointless and so is the trophy level, it's all about each achievement in itself.

Carlos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Carlos

I  have to side with Achievements :]

SgtThom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SgtThom

There the same damn thing.I lol at sony fanboys around    gamespot says 

Trophies are better because it's like getting a real trophies instead of  numbers

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I love achievements, but don't have a PS3 so my opinion really isn't valid here.