Removing the rate-post function?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

Honestly, does anyone that isn't a troll use this?  Countless topics have posts that are arbitrarily "negged" by trolls until you have to "reveal post" to see them. But here's the kicker, the reveal function doesn't work! D:

Even if we had a working "reveal post" button, what is the purpose in rating them in the first place? If the post contains something inappropriate or offensive, PM a mod to take care of it. Or include a "report post" button that if clicked, let's say 5 times, will alert a mod. This could be abused as well, but at least the posts won't disappear.

Am I the only one who wants this to go the way of the dodo?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

No, you're not. The staff seems reluctant to remove it though. Snide offered up a solution of only letting you rate once per IP address, but that's easily circumvented for real trolls and it doesn't help group trolling either. Both post counts (who really cares who is a top poster?) and the rating system need to be downplayed hugely or removed entirely.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike
BiggerBomb said:
But here's the kicker, the reveal function doesn't work! D:
You must be using Internet Explorer.
shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shotaro

I agree but at the same time it would be beneficial to have a positive from a post with a high score - that being said im gonna give you a minus 1 rating just for the hell of it hehe ... j/k

a report post would be extremely beneficial though - odd thing is that really the normal users should be - rating the trolls or a rating of -5 or lower doesn't hide a post but alerts the mods. I don't think removing it is the solution I think changing what it does is.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By irishjohn

I'm ok with it so far.  I use it on posts I think are offensive or in some way inappropriate.

To be fair, the community here is good and I don't think I've used it more than a small handful of times.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike

The "Notify Moderator" thing only works on the top post in a thread.  For the rest of replies, all negatively rating them does is hide them from view.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By brukaoru

The rating system keeps being abused, I agree that a "report post" would be better. People are using the rating post system like youtube. It's not for agreeing or disagreeing with someone, but people are using it as so. 

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_
Irishjohn said:
"I'm ok with it so far.  I use it on posts I think are offensive or in some way inappropriate.
To be fair, the community here is good and I don't think I've used it more than a small handful of times.
"
There are people who go around and bomb other's posts, rating them down hugely for no apparent reason and often ruining and derailing threads. It's quickly becoming out of control.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb
MB said:
"BiggerBomb said:
You must be using Internet Explorer."

I'm using the most widley used browser, that's a bad thing? It also doesn't work on AOL explorer. Anyway, as I said, even with a functioning "reveal post" button there is still no point in post-rating. Jayge is right, the solution Snide offered only prevents people who aren't actually trolls from utilizing the system. Actual trolls have 10 different accounts.

Who's with me?! (Aside from the above posters)
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_
BiggerBomb said:
"MB said:
"BiggerBomb said:
You must be using Internet Explorer."

I'm using the most widley used browser, that's a bad thing? It also doesn't work on AOL explorer. Anyway, as I said, even with a functioning "reveal post" button there is still no point in post-rating. Jayge is right, the solution Snide offered only prevents people who aren't actually trolls from utilizing the system. Actual trolls have 10 different accounts.

Who's with me?! (Aside from the above posters)"
Well, it would keep people on multiple accounts from rating down more than once; but it's a breakable system, and temporary at best. Duct tape over the burst tube.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiggerBomb

/nod

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike

If you insist on using Internet Explorer, you're going to have nothing but problems with this site.  If you don't want to wait for those sorts of bugs to be fixed, use Firefox.  After a week you will  never want to go back to IE again.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By crunchUK

it works fine. anyone saying different just had a pointless hateful post tminused. *looks at jayge*

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By weltal

I don't really see a big issue. But then again my reveal function works fine and the fact that some posts get trolled by being rated down doesn't really matter to me.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb
MB said:
"If you insist on using Internet Explorer, you're going to have nothing but problems with this site.  If you don't want to wait for those sorts of bugs to be fixed, use Firefox.  After a week you will  never want to go back to IE again."

I actually love Internet Explorer. Telling people "if you don't like a major issue on this site, switch from the most popular browser. Otherwise, don't complain." is absolutely ridiculous. If a game crashes on the PC, but runs smoothly on a Mac, the developer doesnt say "get a Mac or stop complaining." This should either be fixed or removed. It's a real pain in the ass.
albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By albedos_shadow

Okay, I'm a Firefox user, but telling people "This site is never going to work right for you because you use the most widely-used browser in the world" isn't really a great response to a problem.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brukaoru
crunchUK said:
"it works fine. anyone saying different just had a pointless hateful post tminused. *looks at jayge*"
That is not the case all the time. People are negging people just because they didn't agree with their opinion a lot of the time.

Weltal said:
"I don't really see a big issue. But then again my reveal function works fine and the fact that some posts get trolled by being rated down doesn't really matter to me."
I think it's pretty annoying to have to click on "reveal post" when there is nothing wrong with the post when it's negged because someone didn't agree with another person's opinion.

Edit: And now this thread is full of negs, prefect example of it being abused.
shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shotaro

BiggerBomb said:

"MB said:
"If you insist on using Internet Explorer, you're going to have nothing but problems with this site.  If you don't want to wait for those sorts of bugs to be fixed, use Firefox.  After a week you will  never want to go back to IE again."

I actually love Internet Explorer. Telling people "if you don't like a major issue on this site, switch from the most popular browser. Otherwise, don't complain." is absolutely ridiculous. If a game crashes on the PC, but runs smoothly on a Mac, the developer doesnt say "get a Mac or stop complaining." This should either be fixed or removed. It's a real pain in the ass."

Sadly browser Nazi-ism is becoming more and more prominent (ooh goodwins). I agree that the rating system is stupid but on the plus side it isn't abused like it is on youtube, nor are our commenters quite so stupid.

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Shasam

The rating system is fine, IMO. I can see how it could be abused, but I haven't seen many real examples of misuse. I see the occasional post commented down because that particular user is saying something ridiculous, but I can't say I have seen much spiteful use of the system. I would want it to stay, for the time being at least.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By albedos_shadow

I find it both hilarious and annoying as hell that every post was negged here.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By brukaoru
Shasam said:
"but I haven't seen many real examples of misuse."
You have now.

I say it should be removed without hesitation now.
Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shasam
Shasam said:
"The rating system is fine, IMO. I can see how it could be abused, but I haven't seen many real examples of misuse. I see the occasional post commented down because that particular user is saying something ridiculous, but I can't say I have seen much spiteful use of the system. I would want it to stay, for the time being at least."
Oh...well this thread gives me an example of it. So yeah, remove it...
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By breton
brukaoru said:
"The rating system keeps being abused, I agree that a "report post" would be better. People are using the rating post system like youtube. It's not for agreeing or disagreeing with someone, but people are using it as so. "
This. I could care less if someones reveal button doesn't work, but the fact that legitimate posts end up hidden because people don't agree with it is just annoying.

Also.. this topic worked out well.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mike
BiggerBomb said"
I actually love Internet Explorer. Telling people "if you don't like a major issue on this site, switch from the most popular browser. Otherwise, don't complain." is absolutely ridiculous. If a game crashes on the PC, but runs smoothly on a Mac, the developer doesnt say "get a Mac or stop complaining." This should either be fixed or removed. It's a real pain in the ass."

Take it easy.  I don't really care which browser you use, but I offered you a solution for a specific complaint you had about the site.  it's up to you if you want to continue using a browser that has serious issues with Giant  Bomb.  Until the bugs get fixed, you can either keep using a browser which doesn't work correctly here, or switch.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

This thread is a big glaring example of why the rating system is  trash.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HazBazz
I gotta admit, that was funny
I gotta admit, that was funny
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb
MB said:
"BiggerBomb said"

Take it easy.  I don't really care which browser you use, but I offered you a solution for a specific complaint you had about the site.  it's up to you if you want to continue using a browser that has serious issues with Giant  Bomb.  Until the bugs get fixed, you can either continue using a browser which doesn't really work correctly here, or switch."

I'm perfectly calm, I'm just pointing out that what you are offering isn't a solution. This isn't a, "please fix the bugs Internet Explorer has with GiantBomb" topic, it is a "let's remove this easly abusable function that serves no purpose" topic. What you are saying is basically, "if you don't like it GTFO!" You don't tell people change browsers, especially the largest browser, because the website for some reason does not handle it. You fix the problem. But once again, that is not the topic at hand.

I'm not the only one who finds the post-rating system to be worthless, the only function it provides is a tool for trolling. This topic is the perfect example, 11 posts were negged to death beyond repair and about another 5 I had to give positive ratings to, just to make them appear. What is the point of this?

Sure, if I switch browsers it won't be as much of a problem. But that doesn't explain why we have such a widly abused and useless function on this site? The mods lock threads for spam, yet ironically are defending the very function that creates the most spam on the website.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Black_Rose

I agree, people abouse this system and rate down every post they dont agree with, which is stupid as hell.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Virago

I'm honestly not a huge fan of the rate tool, and it doesn't really keep people from spamming "that sucks" or "YEAH" like it's supposed to. people want credit for their opinions, even if they suck. lol.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jayge_

Anyway, now that this thread has actually become an example of such bombing (and also a great example of the community trying to rectify such actions, although not as succesfully as a full fix), I think anyone arguing that they don't see it or haven't seen it needs to reconsider.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shotaro

I think that the rating bombing was done as a joke - a pretty funny one actually

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crunchUK

meh stop complaining. for everyone who nedlessly -1s there are 3 other people who can +1 if they see fit

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By Vaxadrin

I like the system because a large number of my inane, inconsequential observations end up getting +10.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Jensonb
MB said:
"BiggerBomb said"

Take it easy.  I don't really care which browser you use, but I offered you a solution for a specific complaint you had about the site.  it's up to you if you want to continue using a browser that has serious issues with Giant  Bomb.  Until the bugs get fixed, you can either keep using a browser which doesn't work correctly here, or switch."
The Bomb complies with Web Standards and so it works best in Standards-Based browsers (Firefox, Safari, Opera (Maybe), WebKit, Chrome etc.). That's all MB is saying.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By brukaoru
Shotaro said:
"I think that the rating bombing was done as a joke - a pretty funny one actually"
Joke or not, I think it proves the rating system is useless, and is rarely used for what it's supposed to be used for.

Jensonb said:
"The Bomb complies with Web Standards and so it works best in Standards-Based browsers (Firefox, Safari, Opera, WebKit, Chrome etc.). That's all MB is saying."
Exactly why coding for IE is a pain. IE has it's own standards, makes it very difficult to work with while making it compatible with Firefox at the same time.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rowr

rating system is fine.

except for jayge, 5 people follow him around the forums and rate him down.

shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shotaro
Rowr said:
"rating system is fine.

except for jayge, 5 people follow him around the forums and rate him down."

QFT - the second part at least poor dude gets posts bombed every minute it seems
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jayge_
Max_Chill said:
"Cunts like him deserve it. ill give him a neg everytime i see him Naggin and Bitching"
Good for you.

That, people, is a prime example of rating system abuse. A negative rating for a disagreeable opinion or position. Exactly what it was NOT intended to be for.
Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Virago

woah. all this over the rating system? 

wow guys. 
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mike

Knock off the petty bickering, people. 

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BiggerBomb

THIS! This is the exact reason why this shit needs to go. Why have a function that does nothing but hurt this website? It is in no way beneficial, no one uses it for the purpose it's there for and no one ever will.

Is there actually a reason why this has to be here? Or are the mods just trying to flex their muscles by not listening to us?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rowr

My assertion was that the whole thing was lame. Much as yours is MB

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mike
BiggerBomb said:
Or are the mods just trying to flex their muscles by not listening to us?"

What do you mean by that?
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By clubsandwich
crunchUK said:
"it works fine. anyone saying different just had a pointless hateful post tminused. *looks at jayge*"
yeah pretty much.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jayge_
MB said:
"Knock off the petty bickering, people. "
MB said:
"BiggerBomb said:
Or are the mods just trying to flex their muscles by not listening to us?"

What do you mean by that?"
I was not bickering, or even being petty. I was calling attention to the fact that someone was abusing the rating system in the middle of a thread about rating system abuse, although you've gone and deleted the examples now. I don't know what purpose that was supposed to serve; many more deleteable posts have gone unmoderated. If staff were looking for any perfect picture of how the occurrence plays out and the reasons people do it, it was right there. Now it's gone.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mike
Jayge said:
I was not bickering, or even being petty. I was calling attention to the fact that someone was abusing the rating system in the middle of a thread about rating system abuse, although you've gone and deleted the examples now. I don't know what purpose that was supposed to serve; many more deleteable posts have gone unmoderated. If staff were looking for any perfect picture of how the occurrence plays out and the reasons people do it, it was right there. Now it's gone."
No...all of the negatively rated posts are gone because other people rated them higher to counteract the negative ratings.  The posts that were off-topic trolling have been deleted.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jayge_
MB said:
"No...all of the negatively rated posts are gone because other people rated them higher to counteract the negative ratings."
What does that have to do with anything.
CactusWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CactusWolf
Jayge said:
"No, you're not. The staff seems reluctant to remove it though. Snide offered up a solution of only letting you rate once per IP address, but that's easily circumvented for real trolls and it doesn't help group trolling either. Both post counts (who really cares who is a top poster?) and the rating system need to be downplayed hugely or removed entirely."
I agree with this.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mike
Jayge said:
What does that have to do with anything."
I don't know, you tell me.  That is, if you can even remember what you're arguing about anymore.

I'm not sure what people are fighting over - it's clear the rating system is useless and the staff is well aware of how useless it actually is.  Things take time to change, in the meantime, everyone just needs to relax and deal with it.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rowr

i got -8 for supporting jayge.

Thats unheard of.

I think he has a case.