Rule #32 - Enjoy The Little Things

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

Dood, I'm fucking STUFFED!  Maybe I should be the one in the oven.  Ewww...that gave me flashbacks to that shitty trailer on Grindhouse.  I still can't believe that they are giving Eli Roth a budget to make that fucking movie.  Someone, please...stop this asshole from getting money!  Anyways, on to the blog...

Last week, I talked about Left 4 Dead 2 in my blog; specifically, it was about how kick ass that game is.  Well, it seems I've been wading through zombie intestines, brains, guts, and bile for the last week because it's pretty much dominated all of my playtime.  I haven't even prestiged once on Modern Warfare 2 yet because of zombies. 

On the subject of Left 4 Dead 2, I've found that Scavenge mode can easily make Left 4 Dead 2 my Game of the Year.  That one multiplayer mode provides something so...visceral...that makes the previous game feel completely pointless.  For those who don't know what the mode entails:  you play on one of five small maps from the campaigns (one map per campaign), and there are 16 gas canisters littered around the environment.  You start with a minute and a half on the clock, and every gas can capped is worth 20 extra seconds.  Four survivors go up against four special infected (just like a Versus mode), and that's that.  It seems pretty simple. 

False advertisement: there are no chainsaws available in Scavenge mode...thankfully.  It would easily break the multiplayer mode.
 False advertisement: there are no chainsaws available in Scavenge mode...thankfully.  It would easily break the multiplayer mode.
However, the level of strategy that goes into it is goddamn DEEP!  The last time I can think of using an entire 40 seconds before a match to plan stuff out was, like, Command & Conquer 3 for a Scorp rush build order or something of the sorts...maybe Dawn of War II.  Literally, that's the level of strategy that goes into this.  The beauty of the mode is that camping doesn't work like it does in Versus mode.  As the Special Infected, you can try waiting around that corner for someone, but you'll more than likely die very quickly thanks to the lowered health of all Special Infected forces in L4D2.  Nonetheless, even with all the planning that can be done, you could easily find those well-thought out strategies completely smashed in the blink of an eye.  This is where things get interesting - L4D2 really forces the player to think on their feet.  You are constantly moving, as that timer will tease you.  There are little subtleties that add to the strategy as well.  For instance, if someone is trying to cap a gas can and you've got a Spitter, just spit under the ground and it will give your Special Infected team a few extra seconds to try and jump them.  Also, if a gas can is dropped by the Survivors in the Spitter's acid, it will ignite the gas can and force it to respawn in its original spot.  The new Special Infected types really prove their worth in this new mode. 

Sadly, I've only lost three rounds of Scavenge mode since I've started playing it...and I've easily won over 40 matches.  It could easily be attributed to the fact that I'm CONSTANTLY playing in a four-man team of people sitting right next to me, and we work as a team.  Meanwhile, the other team will go through dropout after dropout, and there is a certain satisfaction that I gain when people quit the match on the opposite team - it means they are getting frustrated and pissed off because they refuse to work as a team.  

So if you think you can offer a challenge with your four-man team on L4D2 for 360...hit me up in a PM, as me and my buddies need a challenge.  We can only have so many 16-0 rounds before it gets boring, ya know. 

Imagine this with more blood on his face, a thirst for brains, and multiplied by about 30.    
Imagine this with more blood on his face, a thirst for brains, and multiplied by about 30.   
In other news...there's zombies invading Borderlands as well!!!  I picked up the Zombie Island DLC, as ya know...I love the fuck out of Borderlands.  There's no increase in level cap or new weapons/mods/etc., but the story and atmosphere in that pack is amazing!  I found myself laughing far more often in Zombie Island than I did in the base game...and it made me realize just how good the writers are on Borderlands.  Graphically, the concept-art look of the game really helps accentuate everything in Jakob's Cove so damn well, and all the hard-edged lines really make things feel a bit dirtier.  Overall, including the "Braaaaaaaaaaains" quest line, the entire DLC pack lasted me for about five hours or so, and I even got a pearlescent Incendiary Thanatos repeater pistol out of one of the vending machines (while my brother has gotten all four of the muthafuckers!!!).  For $10, this is definitely a worthwhile purchase for anyone who loved the world of Pandora enough to visit a new territory. 

This HAS brought forth a major issue I'm having with Borderlands, though:  where's the end game?  I mean, Diablo II and games of that ilk can last for ages because they offer end game situations.  So far, I feel like I'm just lurking around for random chance weapon drops that really don't matter that much.  Sure, Borderlands can get tough, but it's not SO hard that I NEED to get the greatest weapon in the game.  It probably has to do with the fact that the world has been spoiled by World of Warcraft and the constant end game content that it offers.  It's something we expect out of an RPG nowadays outside of the killer story and badass loot.  Hopefully, Gearbox can offer something that will keep me interested besides just waiting for random nights of four-player partying for the hell of it and tapping my foot in anxiousness for the next DLC pack. 

The underwhelming high point of the Tatooine DLC for Star Wars TFU.   How could they waste such a badass costume?!        
The underwhelming high point of the Tatooine DLC for Star Wars TFU.   How could they waste such a badass costume?!        
Last but not least, a slight footnote if you will:  I also purchased the Tatooine Mission Pack for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.  It was a heated debate between that, MUA2's Character Pack, and Midnight Club LA's South Central upgrade.  In the end, my love for the ONLY trilogy won out...and I am goddamn disappointed!!!  First off, it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to play the damn thing...until I realized I have to start a new game and it's on a separate campaign itself.  You'll start out with a maxed-out Starkiller on Tatooine.  After that, you'll embark on what is literally just five boss fights in 20 minutes.  $10 for 20 minutes where I get to basically walk through the boss fights of Jabba's Rancor, Boba Fett, some crazy android thingie, and Obi-Wan as well as his spirit?  FUCK THAT!  I wanted a STORY!  When the scrolling intro tells me "Star Wars: A Tragic Hope", that is setting my expectations for some form of story that will rearrange the events of Episode IV - not give me five boss fights and some menial chumps to kill between here and there.  The shining point of The Force Unleashed was its story and how compelling it was...and how well-told it was...and how well acted it was.  Shit, there was no story here!!!  So please...save your money and do NOT buy this pack...even with the Ultimate Sith Edition...unless you are just a diehard Star Wars fan and HAVE to have it...or if you just want to have that S rank. 

Until next time, piece...and Happy Thanksgiving!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

Dood, I'm fucking STUFFED!  Maybe I should be the one in the oven.  Ewww...that gave me flashbacks to that shitty trailer on Grindhouse.  I still can't believe that they are giving Eli Roth a budget to make that fucking movie.  Someone, please...stop this asshole from getting money!  Anyways, on to the blog...

Last week, I talked about Left 4 Dead 2 in my blog; specifically, it was about how kick ass that game is.  Well, it seems I've been wading through zombie intestines, brains, guts, and bile for the last week because it's pretty much dominated all of my playtime.  I haven't even prestiged once on Modern Warfare 2 yet because of zombies. 

On the subject of Left 4 Dead 2, I've found that Scavenge mode can easily make Left 4 Dead 2 my Game of the Year.  That one multiplayer mode provides something so...visceral...that makes the previous game feel completely pointless.  For those who don't know what the mode entails:  you play on one of five small maps from the campaigns (one map per campaign), and there are 16 gas canisters littered around the environment.  You start with a minute and a half on the clock, and every gas can capped is worth 20 extra seconds.  Four survivors go up against four special infected (just like a Versus mode), and that's that.  It seems pretty simple. 

However, the level of strategy that goes into it is goddamn DEEP!  The last time I can think of using an entire 40 seconds before a match to plan stuff out was, like, Command & Conquer 3 for a Scorp rush build order or something of the sorts...maybe Dawn of War II.  Literally, that's the level of strategy that goes into this.  The beauty of the mode is that camping doesn't work like it does in Versus mode.  As the Special Infected, you can try waiting around that corner for someone, but you'll more than likely die very quickly thanks to the lowered health of all Special Infected forces in L4D2.  Nonetheless, even with all the planning that can be done, you could easily find those well-thought out strategies completely smashed in the blink of an eye.  This is where things get interesting - L4D2 really forces the player to think on their feet.  You are constantly moving, as that timer will tease you.  There are little subtleties that add to the strategy as well.  For instance, if someone is trying to cap a gas can and you've got a Spitter, just spit under the ground and it will give your Special Infected team a few extra seconds to try and jump them.  Also, if a gas can is dropped by the Survivors in the Spitter's acid, it will ignite the gas can and force it to respawn in its original spot.  The new Special Infected types really prove their worth in this new mode. 

Sadly, I've only lost three rounds of Scavenge mode since I've started playing it...and I've easily won over 40 matches.  It could easily be attributed to the fact that I'm CONSTANTLY playing in a four-man team of people sitting right next to me, and we work as a team.  Meanwhile, the other team will go through dropout after dropout, and there is a certain satisfaction that I gain when people quit the match on the opposite team - it means they are getting frustrated and pissed off because they refuse to work as a team.  

So if you think you can offer a challenge with your four-man team on L4D2 for 360...hit me up in a PM, as me and my buddies need a challenge.  We can only have so many 16-0 rounds before it gets boring, ya know. 

In other news...there's zombies invading Borderlands as well!!!  I picked up the Zombie Island DLC, as ya know...I love the fuck out of Borderlands.  There's no increase in level cap or new weapons/mods/etc., but the story and atmosphere in that pack is amazing!  I found myself laughing far more often in Zombie Island than I did in the base game...and it made me realize just how good the writers are on Borderlands.  Graphically, the concept-art look of the game really helps accentuate everything in Jakob's Cove so damn well, and all the hard-edged lines really make things feel a bit dirtier.  Overall, including the "Braaaaaaaaaaains" quest line, the entire DLC pack lasted me for about five hours or so, and I even got a pearlescent Incendiary Thanatos repeater pistol out of one of the vending machines (while my brother has gotten all four of the muthafuckers!!!).  For $10, this is definitely a worthwhile purchase for anyone who loved the world of Pandora enough to visit a new territory. 

This HAS brought forth a major issue I'm having with Borderlands, though:  where's the end game?  I mean, Diablo II and games of that ilk can last for ages because they offer end game situations.  So far, I feel like I'm just lurking around for random chance weapon drops that really don't matter that much.  Sure, Borderlands can get tough, but it's not SO hard that I NEED to get the greatest weapon in the game.  It probably has to do with the fact that the world has been spoiled by World of Warcraft and the constant end game content that it offers.  It's something we expect out of an RPG nowadays outside of the killer story and badass loot.  Hopefully, Gearbox can offer something that will keep me interested besides just waiting for random nights of four-player partying for the hell of it and tapping my foot in anxiousness for the next DLC pack. 

Last but not least, a slight footnote if you will:  I also purchased the Tatooine Mission Pack for Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.  It was a heated debate between that, MUA2's Character Pack, and Midnight Club LA's South Central upgrade.  In the end, my love for the ONLY trilogy won out...and I am goddamn disappointed!!!  First off, it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to play the damn thing...until I realized I have to start a new game and it's on a separate campaign itself.  You'll start out with a maxed-out Starkiller on Tatooine.  After that, you'll embark on what is literally just five boss fights in 20 minutes.  $10 for 20 minutes where I get to basically walk through the boss fights of Jabba's Rancor, Boba Fett, some crazy android thingie, and Obi-Wan as well as his spirit?  FUCK THAT!  I wanted a STORY!  When the scrolling intro tells me "Star Wars: A Tragic Hope", that is setting my expectations for some form of story that will rearrange the events of Episode IV - not give me five boss fights and some menial chumps to kill between here and there.  The shining point of The Force Unleashed was its story and how compelling it was...and how well-told it was...and how well acted it was.  Shit, there was no story here!!!  So please...save your money and do NOT buy this pack...even with the Ultimate Sith Edition...unless you are just a diehard Star Wars fan and HAVE to have it...or if you just want to have that S rank. 

Until next time, piece...and Happy Thanksgiving!
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH....ELI ROTH IS ACTUALLY MAKING THANKSGIVING?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jakob187
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By angelkanarias

L4D2 seems nice, but it's still to damn expensive, specially here. About Borderlands, I just got a bit bored of it at level 24. I'll finish it, but I don't think I'll buy the DLC. And It's sad that the Force Unleashed DLC doesn't have any story, that was a great part of the original game, specially with the worked-out cutscenes.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Red12b

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

I had two families and two dinners today. Yeah, I'm ready to pop too. I'll be playing some Assassin's Creed II tonight after I hit up some website browsing pleasure. Happy Thanksgiving.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Dalai

It seems that zombies rule the day. 

I've only played a few rounds of Scavenge and I can totally see why people love it.  I haven't warmed up to it just yet, but give it time. 

And I'll eventually buy the Borderlands DLC since it looks fucking hilarious.  I still have some work to do in the main game before I spend the money on DLC.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187
@Dalai: If you see a lobby with four "lansharx**" gamertags...I suggest turning the other way.  We hurt muthafuckers' feelings!

@Claude: Man, none of the rental places have AC2 available at the moment, so I'm having to wait on it.  I wasn't super impressed with the first game, but I've heard nothing but amazing things about the variety of things to do in the second game and how easy it is to get distracted by side stuff.  That makes me really excited to play it, as I love games that can do that! 

@Red12b: ??? 

@angelkanarias: It's definitely not a game for everyone, but the back half of that game has some crazy shit going on.  Sucks that you aren't getting into it that much.  Then again, with as saturated as this season is with games...it's tough to really stick to one thing firmly right now. 
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Xandurson

Happy Thanksgiving man! I'm interested in L4D2 but me have no monies. I'm just a poor college student looking for a job.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
@GamerGeek360 said:
" Happy Thanksgiving man! I'm interested in L4D2 but me have no monies. I'm just a poor college student looking for a job. "
Better than being just a poor boy and nobody loves you... 

...JUST A POOR BOY, FROM A POOR FAMILY, SPARE HIM HIS LIFE FROM THIS MONSTROSITY! 

Sorry, it HAD to happen.
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By nanikore

Oh, Rule 32. I thought you meant Rule 34... er, nevermind. Let's not get into that.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
@nanikore: Just another Zombieland reference.  Seemed fitting for the zombie-ness of the blog.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Kohe321

Happy thanksgiving duder (and all users from the US). I do not have L4D2 yet, still hooked on mw2 and dragon age.