Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By Detrian
@sixghost said:
" @Detrian said:
" @sixghost said:

It's certainly not an item shop sim where you occasionally enter a dungeon for 5 minutes every hour. Even the tiny bit of combat that you do has nothing in common with JRPGs. Just because the characters and dialogue are inspired by the JRPG style, it doesn't mean the game is one. "
Well for starters why are you lying? Every dungeon past the first two take at least half an hour to complete, more like an hour or so.   Second, I don't think you quite understand that the definition of jrpg is just "rpg made in japan". "
lol, what? If a team in Japan made Baldur's Gate, it wouldn't be considered a JRPG. I suppose you also think every game in which you "play a role" is a RPG? "
What kind of dumb hypothetical is this? If Baldur's gate was made in japan it would not be anything like Baldur gate and it WOULD be a jrpg. Meanwhile  Recettear has a bunch of character development, equipment and leveling. I think you've just been dumb and paid off your debt with just trading while completely ignoring meeting characters and progressing through the second half of the game.
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By sixghost
@Detrian said:
" @sixghost said:
" @Detrian said:
" @sixghost said:

It's certainly not an item shop sim where you occasionally enter a dungeon for 5 minutes every hour. Even the tiny bit of combat that you do has nothing in common with JRPGs. Just because the characters and dialogue are inspired by the JRPG style, it doesn't mean the game is one. "
Well for starters why are you lying? Every dungeon past the first two take at least half an hour to complete, more like an hour or so.   Second, I don't think you quite understand that the definition of jrpg is just "rpg made in japan". "
lol, what? If a team in Japan made Baldur's Gate, it wouldn't be considered a JRPG. I suppose you also think every game in which you "play a role" is a RPG? "
What kind of dumb hypothetical is this? If Baldur's gate was made in japan it would not be anything like Baldur gate and it WOULD be a jrpg. Meanwhile  Recettear has a bunch of character development, equipment and leveling. I think you've just been dumb and paid off your debt with just trading while completely ignoring meeting characters and progressing through the second half of the game. "
oh god....
MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By MisterChief
@Jeust said:
" Nier "
You mean the game that Joystiq found so frustrating that they gave up on reviewing it? That game?
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#104  Edited By Jeust
@MisterChief said:
" @Jeust said:
" Nier "
You mean the game that Joystiq found so frustrating that they gave up on reviewing it? That game? "
Yep.  

I think quality-wise the reviewer/journalist/game enthusiast is comparatively worse than the game itself. 

Do a bit of search and you'll see that he made an ass of himself, and was rightfully bashed wherever that incident was talked about. He is such a player, that can't even follow an arrow. ^^
Bacchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Bacchus

It has all been downhill since Super Mario RPG on the SNES.

EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#106  Edited By EchoForge

Only one I've played this generation to completion is Lost Odyssey, if you don't count P4. I got up to Chapter 11 in FFXIII, but quit. I don't actually recall a lot of other JRPGs that have gotten a certain positive level of awareness, outside of Vesperia. Maybe Resonance of Fate? 

Then again, it's not like I'm starving for an RPGish experience; I've got Bioware and Bethesda to satiate me. And really, I'd rather play lineup of the Mass Effects/Fallouts/Oblivion than those games representing JRPGs. Not that I wouldn't play them, but I've had other options.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By animateria

Every time I read this thread title I actually read, 

"So giantbomb says jpegs are dead..." 

and get confused for a half a second.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By jasta

There are a bunch of good looking JRPG's coming out in 2011, its just that the Giant Bomb staff couldn't give a shit about any of them.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Lautaro
@MisterChief said: 

@Jeust said: 

" Nier "

You mean the game that Joystiq found so frustrating that they gave up on reviewing it? That game? "
You do realize he didn't even know how to follow a simple map right? That is why he couldn't finish it, there is an X on the map of where to go. He didn't go there, he was fishing in the wrong spot.
ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By ack

sometimes i just dip into psx jrpg back catalog  
and then i get some snacks 
and i am like 
yes 
childhood 
and then i play for a few hours  
and i am like  
"n...no!!"

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By Nux

Eternal Sonata is a good game worth playing.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#112  Edited By project343

The only JRPGs I can stand are Persona and Pokemon. So... portables-only (so far).

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Nux

Other good games are Devil Surviver, The Last Reminant, Tales of Vesperia,  Infinite Undiscovery, and Star Ocean The Last Hope.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Stagnant is the word I'd use, rather than dead. 
There's still some good ones out there but on the whole it's become a rather "meh" genre for me. 

The Last Story is about the only one I've had any real interest in now that Golden Sun Dark Dawn is out.. 
Rather disappointed to hear that it won't be getting an English release.  Oh well.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By FritzDude

Mistwalker should make a new JRPG. They know what they're doing.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#116  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Think they meant to say dead and boring and not needed and recycled and trash.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#117  Edited By EuanDewar

Did the staff actually say that JRPG's are dead or that they just don't like them?
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#118  Edited By MysteriousBob

Mother 3 was excellent. 

Other than that, the genre needs to die. Its always just the same anime steampunk/futuristic rehashed nonsense.

DaBuddaDa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By DaBuddaDa

Plenty of great JRPGs across all systems this gen. In the west the genre has completely fallen out of favor with the press so they hardly get any coverage anymore. Same thing happened to Adventure and RTS games, which once were on the top of the gaming world and are now only glanced at, even though these genres still exist and thrive.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#120  Edited By Hailinel
@MysteriousBob said:
" Mother 3 was excellent.  Other than that, the genre needs to die. Its always just the same anime steampunk/futuristic rehashed nonsense. "
Your argument is old, rehashed, and ignorant every time you post it.  Either go educate yourself on the genre or shut the fuck up.
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Nah,It just needs a workover.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I hate to say it they might be right. In the last five years what was the biggest JRPG release on this current generation of consoles ?  I loved Final Fantasy 13 but it seems to be a losing battle to defend it so why bother.   There are only 2 other JRPGs this generation I really loved compared to the dozen or more I loved on each of the previous consoles I owned.    I think the Japanese themselves in general don't give a shit about this generation of consoles.  The fact that they released Dragon Quest 9 on the DS instead of a console pretty much says it all.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By napalm
@shadykx125 said:
" As a big fan of the genre I wanted to disagree but then I realized that I have only played one this generation, and while Lost Odyssey was great, that is not enough to declare a genre alive. However I am sure that there are other that I simply missed playing.  My question to you is are there any other current gen jrpgs worth playing? "
Way to backtrack there, broski.
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#124  Edited By mutha3
@MysteriousBob said:
" Mother 3 was excellent.  Other than that, the genre needs to die. Its always just the same anime steampunk/futuristic rehashed nonsense. "
Mother has a lot of charm and the story is better then the usual sub B-movie trash videogames tend to spew out(all videogames, mind you, not just JRPG's) But its combat is outdated garbage which doesn't even hold up to PS1-era standards.

No way in hell is it some shining beacon of good game design in the JRPG genre.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#125  Edited By Jazz

Well considering at least 6 of the top 30 games in the Japanese chart for the week ending Jan 2nd were JRPGs I'd say no. 
It's the equivalent of saying that FPS games are dead because they aren't as popular in Japan as they are in the West, and that the critics in Japan prefer RPGs.

As for good games, Tales of Vesperia, Resonance of Fate, Eternal Sonata and I suppose Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 2 could come under this definition. Throw in P3P, any of the Etrian Odyssey games, ZHP, any of the SRW games (apart from K) and some of the Ys games and you have a pretty broad spectrum.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By owl_of_minerva
Valkyria Chronicles, the Persona games, FFXIII, Tales of Vesperia, and Resonance of Fate have been interesting and in some cases exceedingly good. I don't think a "difficult transition to big-budget HD development" is the same as the genre being dead. It just needs to find a way to make lower-budget games that are still good as well as profitable. There just hasn't been a lot released this gen. (at least in the West).
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Tales of Vespaira 

I played this game to death and still regret trading it in after completing it because I would quite happily play through it again and again.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Christoffer

Meh... JRPGs doesn't have to be current gen. Go back and clean up the PS2 games instead. Sureley you can't have played them all?? 
I don't think JRPGs are dead. But I really miss the weird obscure titles. Aside from Resonance everything seems so bland and boring. Where's Nocturne? Devil Summoner? Shadow Hearts? Suikoden? 

Anyways, Disgaea 3 is one i really enjoyed. It's more tactical, but it's plenty J.
brehonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By brehonia

Just in the last year I've been really impressed by Nier and Resonance of Fate, but they both fell right under the radar so I can see how someone looking in on the genre might think there's nothing special going on.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Ace829

They seem alive and well on the handheld systems so...no.