Support Giant Bomb Indie Developers! Play Jetpack Cat!

• 51 results
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Vaxadrin
I'm flyin'!
I'm flyin'!

I have been working on a game for the last few months called Jetpack Cat.  The game is a platformer/shmup combination with lolcats & faildogs & lots of Google image search for the level graphics.

You can download a fairly big demo (50 screens/levels) here:
http://www.pragmatic-games.com/zip/jpc_demo.zip

If you'd like to see screenshots, game info, or say "Holy shit this is hard.  Fuck this game." be sure to stop by the wiki & forums on GB.

Two things to note if you're considering downloading the demo:
1) The game is purposefully masochistically hard, but the checkpoints are very short.
2) Your monitor must be set at a minimum resolution of 1280 x 800, or the mouse input will not work right (you aim your shots with the cursor).  Any resolution higher than that is perfectly fine.

This is just a fun hobby project as I love doing level design.  This game can never be sold because of the hundreds of counts of copyright infringement on every screen.  It will be completely free when it is finished sometime next year.

A huge thank you in advance to anyone who tries the game.  Let me know what you think.
Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Thrawn1

downloading now...

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vaxadrin
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

don't have mouse, and my laptop's touch pad works horribly.
its actually pretty interesting.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vaxadrin
Demyx said:
"don't have mouse, and my laptop's touch pad works horribly.
its actually pretty interesting."
Jetpack Cat is worth buying a mouse for.
Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Zebadee

Just out of interest, what language and API did you use to create it?
Looks pretty funny.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By twenty0ne

Download...

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vaxadrin
Zebadee said:
"Just out of interest, what language and API did you use to create it?
Looks pretty funny."
It's done entirely with Game Maker 7, which you can get from yoyogames.com  There's a free build with limited functionality, and a $20 build with advanced functionality, but if you just want to fuck around and make Mario or something, you could do all that with the free build.

It uses a drag & drop UI, so you need to know coding concepts like timers & IF statements, but the syntax is incredibly easy to use because of this approach.  You'll never get a syntax error because you typed a function wrong, you'll just get design errors instead.

Screens:
drag & drop coding
drag & drop coding
level design, my favorite part
level design, my favorite part
sprite editor
sprite editor
photoshop to make graphics for importing
photoshop to make graphics for importing

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By Soap

Great game XD it got really hard pretty fast though (or I just gave up pretty soon)

I like it though, well done :P

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vaxadrin

Thanks for playing! :)

Don't give up, though, it gets much harder and you're going to need the practice!

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Terrell

There is Bad style that is just overly done for the sake of being weird and stoner-like, and then there is good style that is meant to be funny and exciting!

This is the bad kind.... PASS.

Good luck though on making games... Keep your head up

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vaxadrin

This game is made more for meth heads than stoners, but I appreciate your input. :)

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By atejas

I would, but the filesize put me off.
Maybe next month, after my subscription's renewed!

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vaxadrin

Silver accounts have to wait a week to try the demo.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By atejas
Vaxadrin said:
"Silver accounts have to wait a week to try the demo."

wait, XBL?
Oh, screw you, then. I have a free month of Gold Live, but I dont even have a Silver Account. Hell, I dont even have a connection.
Thank you, parental interference.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vaxadrin

Sorry, we weren't willing to remove the giant flying penis in an effort to get a T rating and have the game published in Australia.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By roofy
Vaxadrin said:
""
this one is better
caption
caption
michaelenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By michaelenger

That was total and utter dogshit. The graphics were crap, the controls were a little iffy at best and it was buggy as hell.
However, for referencing lolcats, the bukkit and whatnot you get an A+.

But seriously: the quality of the game was that which would get blammed on Newgrounds (if you get the frame of reference...). The graphics weren't that good and I suggest that you get better source images and a hefty photoshopper/gimp to do the manipulations you use. Using good quality material makes the game seem so much cooler. Also, I'm not sure the collision detection was working... what library do you use? If you say "none", then I suggest you look at chipmunk or Box2D that have great collision detection and physics. Easier than doing it yourself, eh?

Man, I sound like a pretentious indie reviewer, which I am not! Nope, not at all...
Anyway, the idea is great, but the implementation wasn't too well done. Going to go back in and give it another shot to see if I can make more sense out of it.

PS: Main menu image was epic.

[edit]: I am retarded. Jumped over your post about using Game Maker. My suggestion: don't use Game Maker. It's easy for a reason and if you want to be taken seriously as a developer I suggest you learn how to code. There are tons of simple 2D game engines out there (like LÖVE, which is a product of my own creation) that can help you on your way to shedding the horrid skin of click-and-drag coding.

I mean... click-and-drag programming! Come on! That would explain why a game so simple takes so long to load...

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By dsplayer1010

Does it run on MAC OSX?

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Demilich

So it's a game about 4chan 2 years ago?

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vaxadrin
Demilich said:
"So it's a game about 4chan 2 years ago?"
Yes, which means it's also a metaphor for your Giant Bomb posts.
HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HazBazz

downloading now...

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vaxadrin
netpsycho said:
"That was total and utter dogshit. The graphics were crap, the controls were a little iffy at best and it was buggy as hell.

But seriously: the quality of the game was that which would get blammed on Newgrounds (if you get the frame of reference...). The graphics weren't that good and I suggest that you get better source images and a hefty photoshopper/gimp to do the manipulations you use. Using good quality material makes the game seem so much cooler. Also, I'm not sure the collision detection was working... what library do you use? If you say "none", then I suggest you look at chipmunk or Box2D that have great collision detection and physics. Easier than doing it yourself, eh?

Man, I sound like a pretentious indie reviewer, which I am not! Nope, not at all...
Anyway, the idea is great, but the implementation wasn't too well done. Going to go back in and give it another shot to see if I can make more sense out of it.

[edit]: I am retarded. Jumped over your post about using Game Maker. My suggestion: don't use Game Maker. It's easy for a reason and if you want to be taken seriously as a developer I suggest you learn how to code. There are tons of simple 2D game engines out there (like LÖVE, which is a product of my own creation) that can help you on your way to shedding the horrid skin of click-and-drag coding.

I mean... click-and-drag programming! Come on! That would explain why a game so simple takes so long to load..."
The amateur quality of it all is just part of the art.  What kind of pretentious indie reviewer are you, that you can't recognize a true arthouse game when you see it?
Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
netpsycho said:
"That was total and utter dogshit. The graphics were crap, the controls were a little iffy at best and it was buggy as hell.

I mean... click-and-drag programming! Come on! That would explain why a game so simple takes so long to load..."
Lol. The entire indie game scene is based around Game Maker. cactus, the most recognizable name in true indie games only uses Game Maker. Check your sources first buddy. There's nothing "unprofessional" about Game Maker.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vaxadrin

I dunno, I'd say the name "Game Maker" is pretty unprofessional.

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
Vaxadrin said:
"I dunno, I'd say the name "Game Maker" is pretty unprofessional."
The name maybe but it's arrogant to call someone unprofessional given that a huge number of indie game developers use Game Maker with pride.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vaxadrin

I'm definitely using it with an intense feeling of self-loathing, and a slight stickiness.

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
Vaxadrin said:
"I'm definitely using it with an intense feeling of self-loathing, and a slight stickiness."
"Indulge in that self-loathing and though shalt be truly an indie/alternative developer!"
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Otacon
dsplayer1010 said:
"Does it run on MAC OSX?"
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
Otacon said:
"dsplayer1010 said:
"Does it run on MAC OSX?"
"
Game Maker games don't unfortunately.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vaxadrin
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By dsplayer1010
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Rowr
Vaxadrin said:
"This game is made more for meth heads than stoners, but I appreciate your input. :)"
Vaxadrin said:
"Sorry, we weren't willing to remove the giant flying penis in an effort to get a T rating and have the game published in Australia."
Vaxadrin said:
"Demilich said:
"So it's a game about 4chan 2 years ago?"
Yes, which means it's also a metaphor for your Giant Bomb posts."

I like you, your funny.
downloading now.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rowr

holy razorblades.

I got about 11 screens in, but now im done with it.

Needs more charm, milk the fuck out of the lolcats. Didnt really like the aesthetic much. I would go either super cute. Or super cute with extreme voilence.

Nice effort though.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vaxadrin

It's a serious story...I think too much lightheartedness would detract from the gritty struggle I'm trying to portray.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rowr
Vaxadrin said:
"It's a serious story...I think too much lightheartedness would detract from the gritty struggle I'm trying to portray."
story?
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

michaelenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By michaelenger
LuckyWanderDude said:
 Lol. The entire indie game scene is based around Game Maker. cactus, the most recognizable name in true indie games only uses Game Maker. Check your sources first buddy. There's nothing "unprofessional" about Game Maker."
Are we talking the "independent from publisher" indie or the "shitty for the sake of shitty-ness" indie? Also, what are my sources for independent games development that I need to check?

Vaxadrin said:
The amateur quality of it all is just part of the art.  What kind of pretentious indie reviewer are you, that you can't recognize a true arthouse game when you see it?"
Damnit! You saw through my cover. I guess I'll just go listen to my Death Cab for Cutie albums and sit in the corner and ironically cry.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jayge_

XNA Game Creator is fun. I *LOVE* programming in fake Java for a platform that doesn't exist for me because I don't pay for it!

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vaxadrin
netpsycho said:
"Damnit! You saw through my cover. I guess I'll just go listen to my Death Cab for Cutie albums and sit in the corner and ironically cry."
If you want you can borrow my black eyeliner.  My digital camera also has custom Myspace Angle presets.
michaelenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By michaelenger
Vaxadrin said:
"netpsycho said:
"Damnit! You saw through my cover. I guess I'll just go listen to my Death Cab for Cutie albums and sit in the corner and ironically cry."
If you want you can borrow my black eyeliner.  My digital camera also has custom Myspace Angle presets."
No angle can hide my man-boobs and neckbeard, so I'm going to use pictures of  androgenous teens for my LiveJournal profile instead.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vaxadrin

I think the subject matter and graphical resources for my next game just dawned on me....

michaelenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By michaelenger

Oh, I think I see your thinking. I'd love to make it with you (looking for a new project).

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vaxadrin

Sure, can we use that dude in your avatar as the main character?  I'm gonna photoshop in some tank treads and make him shoot lasers out of his eyes.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jayge_

Hmm...

Riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Riddler

make the jetpack rechargeble or separate the health bar and the fuel bar

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Vaxadrin

Actually the gameplay changes considerably after area 5 when you'll have regenerating health, a much smaller hitbox, and infinite fuel.  (I'm dead serious, this isn't my normal facetious comments.)

Until then, I recommend simply tapping the right click instead of holding it down, since you achieve the same vertical momentum & use a lot less fuel.

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By banksrob

lol game maker 7 is good, but i prefer darkbasic (or the pro version) from the gamecreators

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jayge_

darkbasic XD

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers