JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By JazGalaxy
@Origina1Penguin said:

@JazGalaxy: I can agree with that. Well said. Entertainment does move in trends and with culture. I still believe people are too impatient and want the next big thing quicker than they got the last big thing though. There is no problem with the industry in that regard, rather the problem is with our culture. Which sort of brings me full circle into stating we need to just need to enjoy what we have and quit complaining so much because it's not as bad as we make it out to be.

well I think the problem with gaming now, is that it has deinitely moved to an area that is leaving a lot of gamers cold. I've heard Jeff talking about it on the last few bombcasts and I feel like he's finally getting to the point I've been at for a long time now.

To quote Grandpa Simpson, "I used to be with it. but then they changed what "it" was. And what I was with? Wasn't it anymore. And what IS it is weird and scary to me!"

I loved games, but the thing that made me love games is NOT was gaming is about anymore.

I think we're going to be in a rut until developers realize, like cable TV realized, that there is money to be made in catering to small niches of gamers. We'll get our gaming equivalent of the Golf, History and Animal channels.
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By Jay444111
@tourgen said:

@Sincillian: you just have to look deeper, beyond what the big publishers are pimping. there are plenty of original, well-crafted games coming out. more than ever actually.

Finally, a smart guy among us. I applaud you for falling for the trap that SOME of these people fell into. Hell, taking a look at my GB games and my DS collection just shows how far videogames have come. My main example being the pokemon series on how it has been trying to be far more creative.

pokemon red game, where the entire story was just beating the elite four and your rival, nowadays with pokemon black we had prevent a cult from taking over the world using a messiah with a legendary pokemon while exploring on what it means to battle said pokemon. (Gotta admit, pokemon has come a LONG way.) You could defienitly see that the creators aimed to make pokemon much more mature with the new ones, sure kids may not get all the themes the new ones have, but I was honestly pretty damn shocked by how damned mature it took things actually.

Also, to people who hate sequels for no apparent reason. sequels do NOT equal bad people! learn that please! Just look at the assassins creed series, it literally gets better with every game. Storywise, gameplay wise, and overallwise.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Grumbel

Something about your logic confuses me. What exactly do you consider a clone? Joe & Mac, which is pretty much "Super Mario World in caveman times" doesn't count, but Battlefield 3 does? What exactly wouldn't count as a Modern Warfare clone, then? Halo? Goldeneye?

How are they better than generic military dudes? They're generic cartoon dudes; they're one word removed.

I'll give you the weapons part. Reality does limit that, even if I'm pretty sure that Mar...again, WHY ARE WE LIMITED TO MARIO!? Why can't I point to some random Dragon Quest clone to prove my point? Or some Sonic clone, or Street Fighter clone, or Doom clone, or Diablo clone, or Grand Theft Auto clone, or any other clone out there?

How does that prove your point? "Oh, I can choose between this Mario knock-off, this Street Fighter clone, this blatant rip-off of Modern Warfare, this poor man's Final Fantasy Tactics, or, hell, a Final Fight palette swap. Which should I get?" There's less variety than you're making it out to be. Besides, all of these genres have existed for a long time, and still exist today, disproving your point, by this weird logic.

So? Go out of the mainstream; why should I limit myself to games I know about? You can't say "those games don't count" if I'm giving you some clear examples disproving your point. Just because they're not popular doesn't mean that they're not there. Also, why am I limited to the 360 and PS3? If I remember correctly, the Wii sold pretty damn well, so it's pretty relevant to this discussion.
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By JoeyRavn

Truly, the end is nigh.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By FateOfNever

That was a horrible article.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By JazGalaxy
@Video_Game_King said:
@Grumbel:   Something about your logic confuses me. What exactly do you consider a clone? Joe & Mac, which is pretty much "Super Mario World in caveman times" doesn't count, but Battlefield 3 does? What exactly wouldn't count as a Modern Warfare clone, then? Halo? Goldeneye?  How are they better than generic military dudes? They're generic cartoon dudes; they're one word removed.  I'll give you the weapons part. Reality does limit that, even if I'm pretty sure that Mar...again, WHY ARE WE LIMITED TO MARIO!? Why can't I point to some random Dragon Quest clone to prove my point? Or some Sonic clone, or Street Fighter clone, or Doom clone, or Diablo clone, or Grand Theft Auto clone, or any other clone out there?  How does that prove your point? "Oh, I can choose between this Mario knock-off, this Street Fighter clone, this blatant rip-off of Modern Warfare, this poor man's Final Fantasy Tactics, or, hell, a Final Fight palette swap. Which should I get?" There's less variety than you're making it out to be. Besides, all of these genres have existed for a long time, and still exist today, disproving your point, by this weird logic.  So? Go out of the mainstream; why should I limit myself to games I know about? You can't say "those games don't count" if I'm giving you some clear examples disproving your point. Just because they're not popular doesn't mean that they're not there. Also, why am I limited to the 360 and PS3? If I remember correctly, the Wii sold pretty damn well, so it's pretty relevant to this discussion.
I'm equally confused about your logic when you talk about clones. How in the world is Joe and Mac "mario in caveman times"? (Isn't Super Mario Wold Mario in Caveman times?)
 Again, nobody is arguing that old games were completely dissimilar. But to say that Joe and Mac (of all games) and Super Mario Brothers are the same is strange.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Video_Game_King
@JazGalaxy

The way I remember it, it was Mario in caveman times. (No, Mario isn't in caveman times. He's clearly in a feudal European society.) It had similar power-ups and the world map feature, at least in the SNES version.
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Akrid

Creative bankruptcy does not exist on a macro level. Someone, somewhere, will always be doing some unique.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Akrid said:
Creative bankruptcy does not exist on a macro level. Someone, somewhere, will always be doing some unique.
Again, not really. Someone, somewhere, will always have done it before you.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#60  Edited By Grumbel
@Video_Game_King said: 

What exactly do you consider a clone? Joe & Mac, which is pretty much "Super Mario World in caveman times" doesn't count,

Sprite size, jump height, setting, weapons, enemies, etc. all are very different from SuperMarioWorld. Yeah, there are also similarities, but they are really not that much closer to SMW then they are to any other jump'n run and jump'n runs weren't invented with SMW.

What exactly wouldn't count as a Modern Warfare clone, then? Halo? Goldeneye?

Both of those are FPS, but they really don't share much mechanics with CoD and have a completely different setting. The problem is that many other shooters don't. Why is Battlefield 3 set in modern times? Why did Killzone 3 feel so much more like CoD:MW then Killzone 2? Why does Homeworld exist? The anwser will like be: Because CoD was successful, not because that is somehow the most interesting way to develop that kind of game. To much of todays development only gets a chance when it is clearly build on top of previous successful games.

Why can't I point to some random Dragon Quest clone to prove my point? 

Because we are not discussion if clones have existed in the past, but how much original stuff there is left in the mainstream.

Besides, all of these genres have existed for a long time, and still exist today, disproving your point, by this weird logic. 

That's not disproving it, that's proving it. If there would still be so much vibrant creativity left, why the hell are we still playing Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Tekken? The same game series we have played 15 years ago? Today there is way to much stuff that is almost as old, if not already older, then the people playing it. Publishers simply old to long onto successful franchises.
Just because they're not popular doesn't mean that they're not there.
Yes, but because they are not popular they get nowhere near the development budgets that other titles get nor the press attention. And some games also flat out don't get made because of that. The Wii was kind of interesting in that regard, as it was simple enough that small teams could develop a competitive title for it. But the Wii is on the way out, so where is the next Fragile Dreams going to be released on? Will it get a big budget and make it on PS3/Xbox360/WiiU or won't it never get developed in the first place?
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Grumbel
@JazGalaxy said:

I'm equally confused about your logic when you talk about clones. How in the world is Joe and Mac "mario in caveman times"? (Isn't Super Mario Wold Mario in Caveman times?)  Again, nobody is arguing that old games were completely dissimilar. But to say that Joe and Mac (of all games) and Super Mario Brothers are the same is strange.

Well, I have never played the game, so I have to judge it by Youtube videos and I don't really get a MarioWorld vibe from this (also where is my CoD clone set in Caveman times?):

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By WiqidBritt

6. claiming that the technology is moving backwards is oversimplifying things. Just because motion controls turned out to not work as well as he may have hoped doesn't mean that the entire industry is regressing technologically, also he's ignoring all of the things that actually work about the Kinect and the Move.  And besides that, the tech moves forward in game design, more processing power can lead to more creative A.I. routines and smarter ways of handling random actions by the player. 

5. DRM is annoying, but for the most part it's hardly destroying the industry. Look at steam for example, it's hardly obtrusive. 

4. there's always been the possibility to abuse DLC, and gamers have accused and complained about devs holding things back since the beginning, but most of that stems from a lack of understanding about how game development works for the most part. Development on additional DLC (especially single player centric) almost always starts being worked on after the main game has finished. And if there isn't enough content in the core release to satisfy you, then don't buy it. 

3. as other people have already stated, there are new creative things out there if you just bother to look for them. also saying that every game in which you look down the sights of a gun is identical is overly simplistic. it's like saying all hip-hop or metal or country music sounds the same. even between the two obvious choices, MW3 and BF3 there are fairly significant differences, and assuming that Far Cry 3 is going to be the same game as MW3 is just plain moronic. 

2. it seems like for every claim that a game on Xbox 360 doesn't need to look any better there are just as many who talk about how much better games look on a high end PC, there's always room for improvement. But really, has there ever been a "vision" for the future? all that's needed is for people to continue making compelling experiences. 

1. this is just a semantic argument, it's pointless. it doesn't matter what you call them, they are what they are.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jay444111
@Video_Game_King said:
@Akrid said:
It is also possible that humanity exists elsewhere than because if the universe if infinite, there is only so many variables that can happen until they repeat. Did I blow your mind about a possible scientific fact? 

Again, people who agree with that dumbass Wong shouldn't be online, writing anymore, espically considering the man has made the exact same article three fucking times in a row. (Not joking in the slightest.) All the man does is whine whine whine. and I am afraid for anyone that agrees with him. Video games are a far more creative medium than movies ever will be, anyone who has ever played a single videogame should know this. DRM services are dying out due to steam and GOG, kinda a fact really. In terms of creativity, the video game industry is BEYOND creative, with indie devs and mainstream devs all doing amazing things with their craft I would say that they are far more creative than the movie industry ever has. (probably repeated myself there, but it's fucking true.) 

In terms of vision for the future, just look at the PC market, since PC power doubles every year there is literally no way you can tell where videogames are going, this is not a bad thing like the dumbass Wong says, but really, is a strength that other mediums don't have, due to the power of change and evolution in videogames, there is so much creativity each gen and it keeps on growing. 

Also, the definition of what a game is, is honestly, one of the DUMBEST things I have ever read in all my years of life. here is the most simple fucking explaination in the world that the dumbass Wong would never think about due to his extreme cynicism and pessimism, IF IT IS INTERACTIVE IT IF A VIDEO GAME! This includes heavy rain style games and fucking "True" games as he like to put it also in the same boat. it is obvious to anyone with a brain that isn't filled with extreme pessimism and dumbassery that this is how it works. sorry for insulting anyone but damn. David Wong is a dumbass and doesn't deserve a job.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Grumbel
@WiqidBritt said:

But really, has there ever been a "vision" for the future?.

Yes and it was called Virtual Reality. To bad that now where we have the rendering power nobody seems willing to sell me a pair of cheap head tracking glasses.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By laserbolts
Skimmed over it and I agree with some of the stuff he said but I disagreed with a lot of it too. The most ominous trend in my opinion is dlc.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Grumbel

Lets give this thread a positive spin:

What exactly was the most creative thing you saw at E3? That made you happy and hopeful for the future of video games?

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By WiqidBritt
@Grumbel: hmm, I'm sure a set could be home made using some of the wii/kinect hacks and a set of those TV headset things.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Grumbel

I know it's been a long time since I've played it, but go play the SNES version of Joe & Mac. It feels a lot like Super Mario World.

Again, you seem to limit this argument to Mario to your benefit. I'd repeat myself, but I'd feel like I'm repeating myself. There are tons of fighters that feel exactly like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat or Virtua Fighter; the first half of the 90s saw shitloads of speedy mammals with attitude; and do I need to go into the amount of shmups that look exactly the fucking same? None of what you describe is a new trend. To add to this, I'll just link you to another Cracked article.

But doesn't the discussion presuppose that this is a recent problem? If you acknowledge that this has always been a problem, then it would be kinda stupid to discuss it in the way that we're discussing right now. 

Wait, this "many genres" thing is getting pretty confusing. Let's just abandon it, because I can't tell what point you're trying to make with it.

So? Those games are still out there, even if you do have to search for them. "I'm too lazy to look for anything original" does not support the point that there is nothing original. You can't say insult games by calling them unoriginal and then not put the work into trying to fix that problem, even if it is on the micro level. Besides, who said that there won't be another artful and creative game on the next console? This exact same argument could have been made at the end of the previous generation, but we got that Fragile Dreams.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Grumbel
@WiqidBritt said:
@Grumbel: hmm, I'm sure a set could be home made using some of the wii/kinect hacks and a set of those TV headset things.
You need special goggles if you want 3D, cheap TV goggles only give you 2D. Also the few VR goggles that exist for consumers I have seen all have crappy resolution, in the 800x600 range or whatever, nothing that would make people happy in days of HD-TV.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Grumbel
@Video_Game_King said: 

If you acknowledge that this has always been a problem,

It never was a problem to this degree because there was always enough fresh stuff to not make it a problem. But even if we assume that clones where a super huge problem back then (which I really don't agree with), that problem lasted only a few years, then we moved to 3D and everybody was experimenting again. At this point I don't see anything that could make that drastic shift, especially now since Nintendo has kind of given up on motion controls.

So? Those games are still out there, even if you do have to search for them.

Except they are not. The original titles you see, are just the few that make it. But how many Katamaris or Shadow of the Collosus did never get made because the publisher thought they looked to original, weren't build on previous games that where successful? When a standard question from a publisher is: "What past games in the genre can you point at there where successful in the last year?" How do you answer that if you do something original?

Also how would I search them? Take Fragile Dreams, that's lumping around in the 67% at Metacritic, not something that screams "must buy". As said, it's not just the game creation that is the problem, but also the press. When everybody is focusing on the AAA titles, small stuff is easy to miss and hard to find. The only reason why I ever run over The Void was by pure accident, I confused it with another game seen some years earlier on TV. And Infinite Space was also more a lucky buy then anything well planed (Giantbomb quicklook, even so uninformative in itself, however helped).

This exact same argument could have been made at the end of the previous generation, but we got that Fragile Dreams.

But only on the Wii. How many of those types did you get on PS3/Xbox360? How many did you see announced on E3?
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By GreggD

@Icemael: I love how you just swooped in at the beginning and fucking won the thread, dude.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Grumbel

Yes, it was. Did you click the damn link I provided? And things didn't suddenly become original the moment another dimension was added; you still got a shitload of Super Mario 64 rip-offs and Final Fantasy VII clones and blatant copies of Tekken and Resident Evil plagiarism and what-not. Hell, I could make the same argument that David Wong made of 2011 for 1995:

Wait, Nintendo gave up motion controls? Then what about the 3DS gyro thingies? Or the Wii U's motion controls? 

Again, why can't the same be said 20 years ago? Video game companies have never been ones to take a risk, as my chart says.

How about you take a risk, then? Don't rely on Metacritic scores or sales numbers or other bullshit; read up on the game and see if it interests you. Video game reviews aren't always accurate, as Devil Survivor taught me. Besides, smaller titles may not even have reviews, so again, take the damn risk. Don't limit yourself to media darlings and complain that you're limited to what the video game press covers. Spread your wings and search for something, damn it!

Does it matter? The Wii is still a pretty big console, and I'm sure that there were some creative games announced at E3, like that Insane Sound Shadow Planet thing, or Asura's Wrath, or Dragon Crown or whatever the hell it's called.
suckafree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By suckafree
@Jay444111 said:
@Video_Game_King said:
@Akrid said:
It is also possible that humanity exists elsewhere than because if the universe if infinite, there is only so many variables that can happen until they repeat. Did I blow your mind about a possible scientific fact?  Again, people who agree with that dumbass Wong shouldn't be online, writing anymore, espically considering the man has made the exact same article three fucking times in a row. (Not joking in the slightest.) All the man does is whine whine whine. and I am afraid for anyone that agrees with him. Video games are a far more creative medium than movies ever will be, anyone who has ever played a single videogame should know this. DRM services are dying out due to steam and GOG, kinda a fact really. In terms of creativity, the video game industry is BEYOND creative, with indie devs and mainstream devs all doing amazing things with their craft I would say that they are far more creative than the movie industry ever has. (probably repeated myself there, but it's fucking true.)  In terms of vision for the future, just look at the PC market, since PC power doubles every year there is literally no way you can tell where videogames are going, this is not a bad thing like the dumbass Wong says, but really, is a strength that other mediums don't have, due to the power of change and evolution in videogames, there is so much creativity each gen and it keeps on growing.  Also, the definition of what a game is, is honestly, one of the DUMBEST things I have ever read in all my years of life. here is the most simple fucking explaination in the world that the dumbass Wong would never think about due to his extreme cynicism and pessimism, IF IT IS INTERACTIVE IT IF A VIDEO GAME! This includes heavy rain style games and fucking "True" games as he like to put it also in the same boat. it is obvious to anyone with a brain that isn't filled with extreme pessimism and dumbassery that this is how it works. sorry for insulting anyone but damn. David Wong is a dumbass and doesn't deserve a job

Interactivity allows for video games to be creative much more easily than movies though, so it's not really fair.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#74  Edited By wrighteous86

@Jay444111 said:

here is the most simple fucking explaination in the world that the dumbass Wong would never think about due to his extreme cynicism and pessimism, IF IT IS INTERACTIVE IT IF A VIDEO GAME! This includes heavy rain style games and fucking "True" games as he like to put it also in the same boat. it is obvious to anyone with a brain that isn't filled with extreme pessimism and dumbassery that this is how it works. sorry for insulting anyone but damn. David Wong is a dumbass and doesn't deserve a job.

Books are interactive, board games are interactive, TV Shows can be interactive, Radio Programs can be interactive...

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Grumbel
@Video_Game_King said: 

Yes, it was. Did you click the damn link I provided? And things didn't suddenly become original the moment another dimension was added; you still got a shitload of Super Mario 64 rip-offs and Final Fantasy VII clones and blatant copies of Tekken and Resident Evil plagiarism and what-not. Hell, I could make the same argument that David Wong made of 2011 for 1995:

And again, the problem are not the clones by itself, but when the clones dominate a large part of the market. I can't remember anybody coming from E3 1995 and complaining about fighter fatigue, instead they where probably to busy getting hyped by the new Playstation1, N64 stuff, Yoshi's Island or whatever else. Fighter where never a dominant genre, even Jump'n Runs were never that much of a dominant genre. Shooters on the other side are a pretty dominant genre these days. And as said a few times, I am referring to mainstream games, mainstream these days is  a good bit narrower then it used to be.

Wait, Nintendo gave up motion controls? Then what about the 3DS gyro thingies? Or the Wii U's motion controls?  

That's motion controls in the same way as the SIXAXIS is motion controls, you can waggle it around, but without being able to use it one handed you lose everything that made the Wii successful.

Again, why can't the same be said 20 years ago?

Because development back then worked with a whole lot less market research and focus testing.
Besides, smaller titles may not even have reviews, so again, take the damn risk.
Yeah, but that is simply proving my point. Finding the original title these days is a whole lot harder because they get hidden under a heap load of not-so-original stuff, assuming they not already get rejected by the publisher and never made in the first place.
Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#76  Edited By Liquidus

Wow and I thought I was pessimistic. I don't think creativity is gone at all, ya just have to look in the right places. Look at BioShock, Valkyria Chronicles, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Portal. They're all fantastic games that are very unique and original. And trust me, I dislike the milking of franchises as much as the next guy but when did sequels all of a sudden become the most horrendous thing ever? Sequels have been around since the NES days and continue to be like that. Apparently no one had a problem with 3 Mario games being on the NES. We're not at all on the verge of creative bankruptcy, games like Call of Duty and other big FPSs tend to overshadow the real gems out there. Look at upcoming games like Shadows of the Damned, Catherine, The Last Guardian, Bastion. The creativity is out there folks.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Grumbel

And again, that didn't happen back in the day? Mind telling me how many games weren't all those clones I listed before? I'm guessing that most people weren't complaining about it because there wasn't an Internet for complaining, or at least not a very strong one. If there was, I'm sure you'd find people saying how platformers or fighting games were fucking destroying gaming, and how games were much better back in 1982.

They weren't? Then how the hell did so many fucking rip-offs get made? Again, I point you to my links. And what the hell makes those games not mainstream? How you haven't heard of them? By that logic, quite a few of the games that David Wong listed in his introductory picture shouldn't count, because I haven't heard of them. The games I continually talk about in this thread would have been treated in the EXACT SAME FASHION that shooters today are.

What the hell are you talking about with motion controls now?

Are you kidding? Do you think an angel visited Yuji Naka in his dream and delivered unto him the brilliant idea of a hedgehog with speed and 'tude? Fuck no! He was the result of heavy focus testing and market appeal. Likewise, Lara Croft was only successful after the development team realized that tits sell. There are tons of examples of this happening, whether they were publicized or entirely obvious.

Again, you assume that people found it really effing easy to find original games back in the day, but if we're going solely by review scores, then your argument is fucked. All people had were Nintendo Power and GameSpot, which doesn't even compare to all the review outlets present today. And that's assuming that the game even got a review; there were more games back then that simply didn't have reviews. Wanna dig up a Dyna Brothers review? Or maybe one for Steel Empire? Reviews written after the fact don't count, obviously.
TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Just got done reading it and I pretty much agree. The online all the time stuff sounds really fucking annoying. SINGLE PLAYER SHOULDN'T NEED TO BE ONLINE. I get the piracy deal and all, but jeez come on.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to wonder if some people complaining about this article actually read the article themselves. There was more to that guy's complains than just "there's alot of sequels!" (Which wasn't even the biggest complaint until the second page of the article.) His complaints about motion controls, the lack of a real vision for the future of gaming, and the endless payment model were completely legit and have gone totally ignored in this thread by people just dismissing the entire thing. Also, why can't we have some nuance on the issue of sequels? Yes, sequels have existed, no, not all sequels are bad, but yeah, a hell of a lot of them are, and yeah, over time it only gets more ridiculous. Seems fair to me.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Marokai

I did, at least, and I feel like I know how this devolved into that one point:

• It's the one point that pisses me off the most when gamers talk about it.
  • I have a bad habit of derailing the shit out of threads.
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Grumbel
@Video_Game_King said:
What the hell are you talking about with motion controls now?
Answering your question? Similar point is by the way raised in the original article.

And that's assuming that the game even got a review; there were more games back then that simply didn't have reviews.

The shocking part is that a lot of games still don't have much or any reviews, even so the amount of reviewers has increased a lot. Giana Sisters DSfor example has a whole of two reviews on Metacritic, that's rather miserable given that its predecessor used to be kind of popular.

About the rest: The discussion is going nowhere and it's kind of pointless to beginning, so lets just stop that, as the important part isn't if the past was better then what we have right now, but if what we have right now is something we should be satisfied with and I don't think it is.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Grumbel

So I guess we should drop that one point?

Yea, let's leave it at "Giana Sisters was a popular game?"
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Jay444111
@Grumbel@Video_Game_King:  

*awkwardly coughs a couple times.* can't we all just get along?
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Jay444111
@Wrighteous86 said:

@Jay444111 said:

here is the most simple fucking explaination in the world that the dumbass Wong would never think about due to his extreme cynicism and pessimism, IF IT IS INTERACTIVE IT IF A VIDEO GAME! This includes heavy rain style games and fucking "True" games as he like to put it also in the same boat. it is obvious to anyone with a brain that isn't filled with extreme pessimism and dumbassery that this is how it works. sorry for insulting anyone but damn. David Wong is a dumbass and doesn't deserve a job.

Books are interactive, board games are interactive, TV Shows can be interactive, Radio Programs can be interactive...

Books can be interactive but have proven not so great at it. (good at kids stuff, bad in all else.) When has a TV show been interactive apart from reality crap? And radio has been dead for quite a while here, unless you live in a city and it somehow stays alive there? 

They aren't the same as video games though, they are their own beast that can do whatever it wants to with the sheer power of interactivity behind it's back.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Jay444111

You arrived about fifteen minutes too late.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Icemael said:
Sequels have always been an industry cornerstone. And this "everything is a military first-person shooter" bullshit is just that: bullshit. First off, we've seen the exact same thing in the past, with first-person shooters (albeit not military-themed) and other genres (sometimes I wonder if everyone but me has forgotten about all the 3D platformers two generations ago, or the 2D platformers before that). Second, there are tons upon tons of great games coming out every year that are neither military-themed nor first-person shooters. Do you know how many military first-person shooters I've played for more than a couple of hours this generation? One. And yet, I buy and enjoy plenty of games every year. If you can't find anything but Call of Duty clones, you aren't looking very well.

Mark my words, in ten years we'll see the kids of today complain just like the kids of yesterday are doing now.  

"Everything's a sequel!"

"Everything's an [insert genre that's popular ten years from now]!"

"I remember a decade ago when there was real variety and originality!""Where is the industry even going?"
Totally agreed.  I usually like Cracked, but that article sucked.  Put a lot of stuff way out of proportion.  Some things were on the verge, if not over the line, of being flat out false.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#87  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@Icemael said:

Sequels have always been an industry cornerstone. And this "everything is a military first-person shooter" bullshit is just that: bullshit. First off, we've seen the exact same thing in the past, with first-person shooters (albeit not military-themed) and other genres (sometimes I wonder if everyone but me has forgotten about all the 3D platformers two generations ago, or the 2D platformers before that). Second, there are tons upon tons of great games coming out every year that are neither military-themed nor first-person shooters. Do you know how many military first-person shooters I've played for more than a couple of hours this generation? One. And yet, I buy and enjoy plenty of games every year. If you can't find anything but Call of Duty clones, you aren't looking very well.

Mark my words, in ten years we'll see the kids of today complain just like the kids of yesterday are doing now.  

"Everything's a sequel!"

"Everything's an [insert genre that's popular ten years from now]!"

"I remember a decade ago when there was real variety and originality!""Where is the industry even going?"

And with that one post, Icemael managed to basically destroy that lame cracked article as well as the entire idea that gaming is somehow getting worse. And all rejoiced. I could get into detail of why I do think certain segments of gaming that I happen to like have either fallen into the horribly niche hole of being fan-made indie projects that didn't even get as far as steam or have become more action-y, in an attempt to appeal to non-crazy people, but that's a rant for another time.

@Video_Game_King: To be fair, I could totally tell you exactly what differentiates half those fighting games with one another (Real Bout Fatal Fury has that crazy 3 plane system. It also has perhaps the single best worst character stage theme in the world). Much like how I could tell you what differentiates all those shooters with one another. It's not the point you were trying to make, but it supports your side of the argument anyways, in that it's the subtle differences that people who are invested in these things care about. Eventually these subtleties will not be enough and the market will become oversaturated like character-based 3D platformers were in the late 90s etc,etc. But until that point, it's usually the outsiders who love jumping on blanket screenshot comparisons. So you can aim down the sights? So what? It works, doesn't it? The differences between how Battlefield and Modern Warfare play are pretty substantial if you get over the part where you still have to shoot people to win.
AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By AuthenticM

Wow, this article is ignorant and full of bullshit.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Coombs
@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Icemael: That attitude is exactly the kind that lets the industry go into slumps like this. "No worries man, it's just the way of the world."

You are right, there are plenty of other games. But that doesn't change the fact that there are wayyyyy too many FPSs on the market, and E3 made it clear it wasn't changing any time soon. I mean, I enjoy shooters quite a lot, but they aren't getting any better, and many are getting worse, or at least old.

Just because this "always" happens doesn't mean it's wrong to push against that pattern. Even if you don't have an effect on it, you still shouldn't sit idly by and act like everything is fine. Progress come from criticism and opposition and competition, and those things should be encouraged.

Don't like it don't buy it, 
Low sales on crappy games is the only way more of the same crappy games will stop being made. 
If the masses buy it there will be clones, That's called business
Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again I really don't see what is so wrong with his points on payment system models, technology "evolving backwards" and the limitations of motion controls, and the apparent lack of a vision for a future of video games. People seem to be obsessively focusing on "HE'S COMPLAINING ABOUT SHOOTERS AND SEQUELS, HE'S SO DUMB."

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Video_Game_King

Uh, has anybody seen the Flashback tab on Cracked today?

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Grumbel
@Video_Game_King said:   

So I guess we should drop that one point?

Yeah, or do you see any value in continuing it? I mean it seriously doesn't matter if the past was better the the present or not and it's all depends on what one defines past anyway, early homecomputer times where for example quite different then what you got on your Nintendo console, yet both kind of happened kind of in parallel.

Yea, let's leave it at "Giana Sisters was a popular game?"  

You completely missed the point I was making: Reviews for niche games are sometimes far harder to find then they should be (daily Steam sale games often have none) and most game media focuses mainly on all the same games.
amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By amomjc

Just another bitchy article. If I were to truly believe the crap in that article I would have to throw away my "I have Brains" mug.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#94  Edited By Dagbiker

Cracked is complete bullshit. he needs a history lesson in video games.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#95  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@Icemael: I completely agree with your points on creative gaming and the complaints of today. As a matter of fact, we're seeing more of a focus now on indie games and creativity than ever before. I think it's actually kind of a neat era in gaming history.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Sparky_Buzzsaw

Wait, what about Flash games? Or Plok? Or all the crappy PC games for 80s British PCs? Hell, even Enix got in on the indie thing in the 80s (read: they were a publisher, not a developer).
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@Video_Game_King said:

@Sparky_Buzzsaw:

Wait, what about Flash games? Or Plok? Or all the crappy PC games for 80s British PCs? Hell, even Enix got in on the indie thing in the 80s (read: they were a publisher, not a developer).

Sorry, but I'm completely missing your point here. My opinion is that complaints about creativity in games seems to be cyclical while conveniently ignoring the clever games of the moment, and that I think the current run of independent games and outlets for smaller developers are better than they ever have been. I'm not arguing against Flash games, since they still exist and are going strong. As for your other examples, I'm just not sure what point you're trying to make.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Sparky_Buzzsaw

Your argument was that indie creativity and notability is a recent thing, right? I provided examples against that.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@Video_Game_King: No. My quote was that we're seeing more of a focus on indie games. Not that it's a new idea, or whatever bizarre spin you want to put on my words. We have more outlets for independent minded publishers and developers nowadays. Digital distribution, online gaming, and yes, Flash games and the like have made it possible for these developers to get their games out there to a wider market with more of a chance to succeed than ever before. That was my point.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Sparky_Buzzsaw

Nevermind, then.