• 102 results
TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheGodPoet

While on Cracked I saw this article and read it and I found that I agreed with quite alot in it. 

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games_p1/ 

The main point I agreed with the most was that we're on the verge of creative bankruptcy.  So many sequels and not nearly enough new  series being made with new concepts and ideas. Read the article and tell me what you think of it. Do you agree or disagree with his points? 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Sequels have always been an industry cornerstone. And this "everything is a military first-person shooter" bullshit is just that: bullshit. First off, we've seen the exact same thing in the past, with first-person shooters (albeit not military-themed) and other genres (sometimes I wonder if everyone but me has forgotten about all the 3D platformers two generations ago, or the 2D platformers before that). Second, there are tons upon tons of great games coming out every year that are neither military-themed nor first-person shooters. Do you know how many military first-person shooters I've played for more than a couple of hours this generation? One. And yet, I buy and enjoy plenty of games every year. If you can't find anything but Call of Duty clones, you aren't looking very well.

Mark my words, in ten years we'll see the kids of today complain just like the kids of yesterday are doing now.  

"Everything's a sequel!"

"Everything's an [insert genre that's popular ten years from now]!"

"I remember a decade ago when there was real variety and originality!"

"Where is the industry even going?"

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Lunar_Aura

@Icemael said:

If you can't find anything but Call of Duty clones, you aren't looking very well.

So, so true.

wormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By wormz

I disagree that creativity has gone down. There's so much stuff coming out if you just look around and have an open mind. I think indie development is at it's highest after early 90s shareware era right now and that's where the original ideas are.

Belmont_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Belmont_Shadow

some good points some not so good points. It's not as easy as "lets make new games"

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Icemael: That attitude is exactly the kind that lets the industry go into slumps like this. "No worries man, it's just the way of the world."

You are right, there are plenty of other games. But that doesn't change the fact that there are wayyyyy too many FPSs on the market, and E3 made it clear it wasn't changing any time soon. I mean, I enjoy shooters quite a lot, but they aren't getting any better, and many are getting worse, or at least old.

Just because this "always" happens doesn't mean it's wrong to push against that pattern. Even if you don't have an effect on it, you still shouldn't sit idly by and act like everything is fine. Progress come from criticism and opposition and competition, and those things should be encouraged.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read that article. It seems that he basically looked at MW3, BF3 and a piece of shit Star Wars game and promptly decided that gaming is DOOMED.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael
@MordeaniisChaos: It's not a slump. It's thing being the way they've always been, and the way they're always going to be. Which is fine, because there will always be games for people like me.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Romination

I love David Wong, but I find his post E3 reactions to be just the reactionary bullshit I'm trying to avoid on the internet. Calling everything lack of creativity and then mocking any innovation as stupidity isn't fun to read, and these articles just make me leave going "So do REAL people who aren't the internet actually think this?" and it shakes my faith in humanity. He just ignores anything that sets an idea apart and goes down to the core of it, calls that unoriginal, and then sits back and says "Perfect."

Best example is the graphic at the top. Showing a bunch of FPS games is not a surprise, but ignoring any creativity in them or anything that sets them apart and makes them neat jsut to say "you aim down sites in all of these" is frankly insulting.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By YoungFrey

I happen to be keeping a log of most all releases this year.   I think even a cursory glance will counter any notion that the only games are Modern Military Shooters ™.  I used spoiler tags only because it's a long list.

Lost In Shadow (1/4/11)

Ilomilo   (1/5/11)

Ghost Trick (1/11/11)

DC Universe Online (1/11/11)

Little Big Planet 2 (1/18/11)

Dead Space 2 (1/25/11)

Bionic Commando 2 (2/1/11)

Stacking (2/9/11)

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (2/15/11)

Tales from Space: About a Blob (2/15/11)

Bulletstorm (2/22/11)

Killzone 3 (2/22/11)

De Blob 2 (2/22/11)

Pixeljunk Shooter 2 (3/1/11)

Rift: Planes of Telarra (3/1/11)

Beyond Good and Evil (3/2/11)

Dragon Age 2 (3/8/11)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (3/8/11)

Okamiden (3/13/11)

Slam Bolt Scrappers (3/15/11)

Swarm (3/22)

Crysis 2 (3/22/11)

Stacking DLC (April)

Mortal Kombat (4/19/11)

Patapon 3 (4/19/11)

Portal 2 (4/19/11)

Cargo! The Quest For Gravity (4/21/11)

Darkspore (4/26/11)

Outland(4/26/11)

Brink (5/10/11)

L.A. Noir (5/17/11)

Witcher 2 (5/17/11)

Hunted Demon's Forge (5/31/11)

Infamous 2 (6/7/11)

Red Faction Armageddon(6/7/11)

Duke Nukem Forever (6/14/11)

Alice: Madness Returns (6/14/11)

Trenched (6/22/11)

Half-Minute Hero (6/29/11)

Bastion(Summer of Arcade)

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet(Summer of Arcade)

From Dust(Summer of Arcade)

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron(7/26/11)

Catherine(7/26/11)

Spec Ops The Line(8/2/11)

No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise(8/16/11)

Rock of Ages (8/31/11)

Dead Island (9/6/11)

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine (9/9/11)

Gears of War 3 (9/21/11)

Rage (10/04/11)

Batman Arkham City (10/18/11)

Battlefield 3(10/25/11)

Uncharted 3 (11/1/11)

Modern Warfare 3 (11/8/11)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Icemael said:
Sequels have always been an industry cornerstone. And this "everything is a military first-person shooter" bullshit is just that: bullshit. First off, we've seen the exact same thing in the past, with first-person shooters (albeit not military-themed) and other genres (sometimes I wonder if everyone but me has forgotten about all the 3D platformers two generations ago, or the 2D platformers before that). Second, there are tons upon tons of great games coming out every year that are neither military-themed nor first-person shooters. Do you know how many military first-person shooters I've played for more than a couple of hours this generation? One. And yet, I buy and enjoy plenty of games every year. If you can't find anything but Call of Duty clones, you aren't looking very well.

Mark my words, in ten years we'll see the kids of today complain just like the kids of yesterday are doing now.  

"Everything's a sequel!"

"I remember a decade ago when there was real variety and originality!""Where is the industry even going?"
Fuck! You stole all my points. All I can add is that nothing is original. Oh, what's that? You think game X is original? Search around a bit, because I guarantee you that it's been done before.
Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Loki9876

i can't agree 
seriously not when he enjoyed the wii bowling game.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pinworm45

Creativity has gone up, not down. A franchise being popular - COD, WOW, Halo, Whatever - has absolutely nothing to do with other games.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ramone

I usually like Cracked's articles but this one is just dumb.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By penguindust

Well, I don't believe we're on the verge of creative bankruptcy at all.  Small games, independent games and low budget games have shown a lot of creativity in the new marketplace.  Big budget games have been stale, but when you're spending a hefty budget on a title, studios can't afford to stray too far from what's proven to pay off.  The other side is a Mirror's Edge which was well received for what it tried to do but good intentions don't pay the bills.   There are a lot of sequels but that's often the case.  I remember playing Pitfall 2 and River Raid 2 on my old 2600.  Hell, Ms Pac-Man was a better game than the original Pac-Man.  I believe the problem is worse in Hollywood, but that's a discussion for a different thread.  

Where I do agree with the (somewhat satirical) article is that we're moving closer to having to register every game regardless of platform and be connected to verify that ownership.  This in an era where the hackers are breaking into those online registries and making off with the personal data.  The bigger the carcase, the more carrion it attracts.    It will be interesting to see if someone can get a handle on securing those data bases.  

The truth of the matter is games are damned expensive to produce these days and the gaming public is a fickle group who want more of the same (that's what sells) and something new and different (just not too different).  It's a lot to ask when you're dealing with multimillion dollar game budgets.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By benjaebe

@Icemael said:

Sequels have always been an industry cornerstone. And this "everything is a military first-person shooter" bullshit is just that: bullshit. First off, we've seen the exact same thing in the past, with first-person shooters (albeit not military-themed) and other genres (sometimes I wonder if everyone but me has forgotten about all the 3D platformers two generations ago, or the 2D platformers before that). Second, there are tons upon tons of great games coming out every year that are neither military-themed nor first-person shooters. Do you know how many military first-person shooters I've played for more than a couple of hours this generation? One. And yet, I buy and enjoy plenty of games every year. If you can't find anything but Call of Duty clones, you aren't looking very well.

"Everything's a sequel!"

"I remember a decade ago when there was real variety and originality!""Where is the industry even going?"

Well, that pretty much ends the thread. The Cracked article is reactionary bullshit designed precisely to appeal to all those nostalgia-ridden teenagers who think that none of these problems ever existed in the industry before this generation.

Honestly I'll never really understand why people complain about sequels. For as much as I love a good new IP, it's great to continue a game series with characters I know and see how they develop and the game evolves.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By themangalist
@PenguinDust said:

Well, I don't believe we're on the verge of creative bankruptcy at all.  Small games, independent games and low budget games have shown a lot of creativity in the new marketplace.  Big budget games have been stale, but when you're spending a hefty budget on a title, studios can't afford to stray too far from what's proven to pay off.  The other side is a Mirror's Edge which was well received for what it tried to do but good intentions don't pay the bills.   There are a lot of sequels but that's often the case.  I remember playing Pitfall 2 and River Raid 2 on my old 2600.  Hell, Ms Pac-Man was a better game than the original Pac-Man.  I believe the problem is worse in Hollywood, but that's a discussion for a different thread.    Where I do agree with the (somewhat satirical) article is that we're moving closer to having to register every game regardless of platform and be connected to verify that ownership.  This in an era where the hackers are breaking into those online registries and making off with the personal data.  The bigger the carcase, the more carrion it attracts.    It will be interesting to see if someone can get a handle on securing those data bases.    The truth of the matter is games are damned expensive to produce these days and the gaming public is a fickle group who want more of the same (that's what sells) and something new and different (just not too different).  It's a lot to ask when you're dealing with multimillion dollar game budgets.

I agree. 

The gaming industry is bigger than ever. It is almost an "industry standard" for how games are produced nowadays. Aim down ironsights? It feels best doing so, not that there couldn't be a better way to do it, but it works and people like it. AAA Games are no longer for niche markets and so it seems that ALL GAMES are the same. It's because out of the billions of people out there, there HAS to be a person who still hasn't hopped on the CoD train. It's what AAA devs want to make the bucks. A Doom, Halo, Modern Warfare will always eventually come by and lead an evolution in the industry. But that also doesn't stop small indie developers who have the stakes to experiment a bit more and target a niche audience. There. 

The gaming industry is blooming. It is so large it's impossible to avoid being found similarities. Yes, if those are considered creativity at a stand still, then art, literature and movie making would have long died. Oh SCIENCE FICTION. DARK FANTASY. Those died out ages ago.
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By SSully

I knew the writer had no idea what he was talking about when he said he put more time into wii bowling then red dead redemption.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kingzetta

Badttitude was the worst trend ever. The few years where you put a goatee on your main character and turned him dark.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Video_Game_King
@PenguinDust said:
Small games, independent games and low budget games have shown a lot of creativity in the new marketplace.
They have? What about all those piece of shit Flash games on Newgrounds? Those should probably count, since they're usually the only (or at least best) avenue an indie game developer has. If you want to throw that out, I could provide you some Xbox Live Arcade.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By tebbit

That whole "I hope you like looking down sights" picture...

What the hell are they supposed to do!?!?!

"I hope you like staring at the player character's back"...................................... IN A 3RD PERSON SHOOTER.

"I hope you like seeing wheels"......................................... IN A RACING GAME.

Truly, these are the valid criticisms of our time.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

The bullshit way game quality and success is measure has created an environment where medium budget games have nowhere to go. If you're medium budget, you're being compared to big budget visually and with sales and coming up short. Movies aren't like this. Movie producers understand on a movie to movie basis, "this is what we spent, this is a reasonable approximation of the returns, its a failure if it goes below that". Game publishers are like "its not on XBLA, Wiiware, or PSN, so how does it compare to Moder Warfare's sales? Badly? Fuck this game". Its stupid. One reason Im glad 3DS isn't trying to be a mobile console is it gives medium budget retail games a place to live, just as the DS gave low budget retail games a place to live (they're now homeless). You're either bite sized for the iSomething or you're penalized for not comparing to the best looking game at the moment. The middleground is dead and that's where most devs would prefer to live so they can take some kind of risk. But the system won't abide that.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

LA Noire took 7 years to make and a whole new technology had to be created for it. It was absolutely a passion project and its a miracle that someone allowed it to get made without pulling the plug. You shouldn't expect most developers want to go through what Bondi did to make that game happen. And certainly, publishers don't want that.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zippedbinders
@S0ndor said:
I read that article. It seems that he basically looked at MW3, BF3 and a piece of shit Star Wars game and promptly decided that gaming is DOOMED.
Pretty much this.

He has one or two valid points, but he's probably the most pessimistic person I've ever seen write about games. He did a thing on E3 last year with just as much bitching. Its like he completely ignores the fact that non-FPS games exist (and do well) and continues typing with his ass on a keyboard. I guess there is a reason he's fucking writing for Cracked. Seanbaby is the only thing worth reading on there.
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By valrog

Great article.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By droop

I've been more excited for games than 2011. Fuck these overcritical pretentious douchebags who only like indie games with nice art styles.

:)

Avatar image for solarisdeschain
solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By solarisdeschain

Awful article. Just unbelievable. Easily the worst thing I have ever read on that website. Wii bowling is better than Red Dead Redemption? He mentions The Umbrella Chronicles but not Metroid Prime? He trashes new technology like Kinect, which developers are just starting to figure out? He disses looking down the sights in a First Person shooter game (seriously, has he ever shot a gun)? He talks about the Wii U only using one controller at a time, although its not out for a year and at E3 they already showed two controllers being used on the same game? He goes on about sequels as if the game industry has ever been different, or like Super Mario Galaxy 2 is anything like Super Mario 2, or like L.A. Noire didn't just come out?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Branthog

Most of my thoughts have already been covered. Mostly, I'm of two minds. I'm a gamer who simultaneously loves and hates everything. I"m bent toward being jaded and cynical and tired of sequels and gimmicks and shitty rehashes and "Mario 764 and Zelda 328" and everything else. At the same time, I get wrapped up in the excitement and the craziness. It's kind of like with E3. I hate it and love it at the same time. I hate the glitz and overboard nature of it, but then I kind of love that about it. The same way the Halo 3 release launch was fucking insane and I both hated and loved the parading of Master Chief down a closed 5th Ave in NYC while the Halo theme blared out over the loud speakers.

Gaming is filled with bad stuff and great stuff, but it steadily evolves and will continue to evolve, even if it seems dire. In the meantime, you just have to find the true gems that make you smile and pass the time and support them. And maybe I could do my part by being a little more optimistic than my 95% jaded and cynical comments on GB would suggest. :)

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Branthog said:

Most of my thoughts have already been covered. Mostly, I'm of two minds. I'm a gamer who simultaneously loves and hates everything. I"m bent toward being jaded and cynical and tired of sequels and gimmicks and shitty rehashes and "Mario 764 and Zelda 328" and everything else. At the same time, I get wrapped up in the excitement and the craziness. It's kind of like with E3. I hate it and love it at the same time. I hate the glitz and overboard nature of it, but then I kind of love that about it. The same way the Halo 3 release launch was fucking insane and I both hated and loved the parading of Master Chief down a closed 5th Ave in NYC while the Halo theme blared out over the loud speakers.

Gaming is filled with bad stuff and great stuff, but it steadily evolves and will continue to evolve, even if it seems dire. In the meantime, you just have to find the true gems that make you smile and pass the time and support them. And maybe I could do my part by being a little more optimistic than my 95% jaded and cynical comments on GB would suggest. :)

Odd. You seem to be one of the few gamers who admits to this weird schism of "I hate sequels, so that's why all I buy are sequels", but don't much about it. I can understand, but still.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Branthog

@Video_Game_King said:

@Branthog said:

Odd. You seem to be one of the few gamers who admits to this weird schism of "I hate sequels, so that's why all I buy are sequels", but don't much about it. I can understand, but still.

Not so much that I hate sequels. I just hate it when it seems like a franchise is a franchise only to spit out as many iterations until the market for it falls away. For example, a story that should have been done in two or three games, but becomes nine games, because - hey - let's milk it. If a game is a good sequel, I'll still possibly get excited for it and even enjoy it -- but that doesn't mean there isn't still fatigue at the mention of yet another in the series. Then there are also those series that continue long after they should and are terrible and should just die. I wasn't saying that I buy bad sequels. Just that sequels - even when they're good - kind of get tiring sometimes, too.

Also, I don't always have to buy a game or be interested in it to find the excitement leading up to it and the launch and all the coverage of it enjoyable. :)

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#31  Edited By Grumbel
@Pinworm45 said:
Creativity has gone up, not down. A franchise being popular - COD, WOW, Halo, Whatever - has absolutely nothing to do with other games.
That depends on what you look at. Creativity in total, counting all indie titles and iPhone games, sure, there is a ton of stuff out there and likely quite a few creative gems. But creativity as far as mainstream big console titles go certainly isn't anything to be proud of.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Grumbel said:
But creativity as far as mainstream big console titles go certainly isn't anything to be proud of.
Has it ever been?
Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Grumbel
@Video_Game_King said:
@Grumbel said:
But creativity as far as mainstream big console titles go certainly isn't anything to be proud of.
Has it ever been?
Probably not, but back in the day (aka 20 years ago) there really wasn't such a well established marketing fueled mainstream to begin with and a lot of oddball titles got the attention they deserved.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Grumbel

The hell are you talking about? The market was flooded with Sonic/Mario clones, Street Fighter clones, and generic shmups. Again, ORIGINALITY HAS ALWAYS BEEN AN ILLUSION.
blueaniman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By blueaniman93

Shooters. They have to stop!

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I feel bad for people who have trouble shutting their mouths and just enjoying video games. I never hear anyone bitching, "Hey, where are books even going, man?" Or, "I swear there's no innovation in movies anymore." Video games are not old at all compared to other entertainment media, but you want to act like they're plagued with problems? They've evolved so much in just a few decades, but because someone has the attention span of a fruit fly they think it's all stale.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JazGalaxy
@Icemael said:

"Everything's a sequel!"

I have wonder how old you are.

I feel like people's opinions on this subject are going to vary wildly based on what you're game playing experience is.

What your post ignore is that "genre" has become a more and more strict term as generations go by. You are right that nearly every game in the NES catalog was a platformer and almost every PC game was an adventure game, but what that MEANT varied night and day.

You had platforming games like Mario, but then you also had platforming games like GI Joe, Faxanadu, Low G Man and Clash at Demonhead. They were almost COMPLETELY different from one another.

And true, sequels exsited. But they were sequels like The Adventures of Link, Super  Mario Brothers 2, or Castlevania 2. These sequesls were, again, COMPLETELY different from the previous iterations of the series.

Now game sequels are literally the same game with a few tweaks in the way things operate. "Genre" no longer means a display format, it now means everything down to the way buttons are mapped on the controller.

this IS a troubling time creatively in the games industry. But it's not just the games industry. It's everything. YOu can't write a book, now, unless it is a series that can be marketed as such and has the opportunity to be turned into a movie or cartoon series. Movies are all rehashes of old movies or properties from other media. Comic books are all tie-ins to videogames or legacy properties that exist to make movies or videogames out of.

The problem isn't games, it's our society and the fact that, in our currently climate, invention isn't cost effective. Why make something new, from scratch, when you can just re purpose something that already exists?
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By haggis
@MordeaniisChaos said:

... But that doesn't change the fact that there are wayyyyy too many FPSs on the market, and E3 made it clear it wasn't changing any time soon. I mean, I enjoy shooters quite a lot, but they aren't getting any better, and many are getting worse, or at least old.

Just because this "always" happens doesn't mean it's wrong to push against that pattern. Even if you don't have an effect on it, you still shouldn't sit idly by and act like everything is fine. Progress come from criticism and opposition and competition, and those things should be encouraged.

They make FPSs because people buy FPSs. That's what the vast majority of console gamers want to play a lot of the time. To want different games to dominate the market is to want gamers to be different from what they are. And I say this as someone who only rarely plays FPSs. I'm more a third-person sort of guy when it comes to action games. In any case, if you see this dominance of FPSs as a problem, then you have to blame gamers as much as the developers.

Eventually the market will change, a different game model will come to dominate, and people will grouse about that as well. How do I know? It's pretty much what happened to adventure games in the early 90s, when every other game was a Myst clone of one sort or another. FPSs will decline in popularity when the creativity in the genre begins to decline. Lately it seems just the opposite: we see all sorts of variations on FPS games, from RPG to run-and-gun to stealth.

Push against the pattern if you like, but I imagine it will be a lot of wasted effort.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JazGalaxy
@Origina1Penguin said:

I feel bad for people who have trouble shutting their mouths and just enjoying video games. I never hear anyone bitching, "Hey, where are books even going, man?" Or, "I swear there's no innovation in movies anymore." Video games are not old at all compared to other entertainment media, but you want to act like they're plagued with problems? They've evolved so much in just a few decades, but because someone has the attention span of a fruit fly they think it's all stale.

What? Of course you do.

How many times have you heard the prase "HOllywood is running out of ideas!". I hear it every time I go to the movie theatre, from some random person. Usually that person is standing in front of a movie poster for a film rehash of an old series, videogame, comic book, or novel.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JazGalaxy
@Branthog said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Branthog said:

Not so much that I hate sequels. I just hate it when it seems like a franchise is a franchise only to spit out as many iterations until the market for it falls away. For example, a story that should have been done in two or three games, but becomes nine games, because - hey - let's milk it. If a game is a good sequel, I'll still possibly get excited for it and even enjoy it -- but that doesn't mean there isn't still fatigue at the mention of yet another in the series. Then there are also those series that continue long after they should and are terrible and should just die. I wasn't saying that I buy bad sequels. Just that sequels - even when they're good - kind of get tiring sometimes, too.

Also, I don't always have to buy a game or be interested in it to find the excitement leading up to it and the launch and all the coverage of it enjoyable. :)

I agree 100% and I don't think a lot of gamers realize this.

Take Tony Hawk, for example. Tony Hawk is still fun, as is evidenced by the number of people who get into it when they re-release an older version of the game. But actvitision, in an effort to release the game every year, felt the need to constantly tweak the gameplay until it eventually broke like a guitar string being tightened to much. By the time game game exploded, it was no longer a skateboarding game, but rather a bizarre open world superhero adventure game that sometimes included skating. But instead of saying "We broke tony hawk", the idiots in charge said 'I guess people don't like skateboarding anymore". 
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Wow... the  video game industry is heading to a sad sad hellish black hole faster than the speed of light. 

that was such a heavy read, man.. ruined my good mood

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Grumbel
@Video_Game_King said:

@Grumbel:   The hell are you talking about? The market was flooded with Sonic/Mario clones, Street Fighter clones, and generic shmups.

The thing is: Even the most generic Mario clone still has to come up with a unique character, setting and enemies. A lot of modern shooters however play in a Hollywood-ized real world that feel pretty similarly and forgettable. And anyway, there aren't half as much Mario clones as one would think given the popularity of the franchise (same for Zelda). Giana Sisters is the only real obvious one, but that aside there really isn't much that gets very close to Mario, just a few game mechanics here and there that have been borrowed. Try to name five Mario clones, its not that easy.

Also take these 100 C64 games for example, sure there are a few shmups in there, but also plenty of unique weird stuff:

Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@JazGalaxy: I was trying to make a point, movies still have innovation (they are a young technology as well). I noticed you left out my other example, books, one of the oldest forms of entertainment. Is it because words are limited by the mind and not by technology? In that case, aren't people really just bitching about technology not evolving fast enough for their liking? That's just spoiled thinking on their parts, in my opinion.

GodsMistakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GodsMistakeXx

I disagree entirely, thats all I got. Everything I wanted to say was said in the first post.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Karl_Boss

I agree with him and cracked is crack.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Grumbel

Fine, I'll take up your challenge. Here are five Mario clones:

Great Giana Sisters
Banjo Kazooie
Kid Chameleon
Joe & Mac
Ice Climber

I'll attack the rest of your points as I see fit:

• None of them were really that unique. A lot of the time, it was just "eh, a robot or an animal or something has to defeat a bad guy. Why? Eh, maybe there's a princess." If it was based on an existing license, like Little Nemo or Felix the Cat, then all the better.
  • You'd be surprised at how many games ripped off Mario. Speaking of which, you didn't go for any of the other genres. Odd. Mario's not the only guy to start a rip-off trend. You have Street Fighter II, Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Gradius, Secret of Monkey Island, and a shitload of others.
  • Games today aren't as limited as you think, either. I could probably list off a shitload of games that don't really fall into any major trend, like Final Fantasy XIII (not a lot of JRPGs), Fragile Dreams, Elebits, anything by Telltale Games, etc.
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @Origina1Penguin said:

@JazGalaxy: I was trying to make a point, movies still have innovation (they are a young technology as well). I noticed you left out my other example, books, one of the oldest forms of entertainment. Is it because words are limited by the mind and not by technology? In that case, aren't people really just bitching about technology not evolving fast enough for their liking? That's just spoiled thinking on their parts, in my opinion.

Books, to a large degree, do have the same problem.

How many boy wizard books came out after Harry Potter? And how many "teen horror/romance" books are on the shelf now?\

Again, I don't think this is a problem we're running into because the medium is young, these are problems that we are running into because of the state our culture is in.

Commercialized art exists to make money, and unfortunately for us as consumers, the people who run the companies have gotten really really really good at what they do.

They know to get behind what is making money, to milk it until it runs dry, and then to move onto the next thing.
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@JazGalaxy: I can agree with that. Well said. Entertainment does move in trends and with culture. I still believe people are too impatient and want the next big thing quicker than they got the last big thing though. There is no problem with the industry in that regard, rather the problem is with our culture. Which sort of brings me full circle into stating we need to just need to enjoy what we have and quit complaining so much because it's not as bad as we make it out to be.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Grumbel
    @Video_Game_King said:

Fine, I'll take up your challenge. Here are five Mario clones: 

Great Giana Sisters - Ok, clear clone of SuperMarioBros
    Banjo Kazooie - Certainly took some inspiration, but had plenty of original mechanics of its own
    Kid Chameleon - Some similarities, but again plenty of new stuff
    Joe & Mac - That's a stretch, I can't see much similarities at all
    Ice Climber - Maybe a few similitaties with the original MarioBros, but again quite a stretch

And anyway, we are already spread across three different generations of Mario games, as said, its not that easy to find stuff that are obvious clones.
    • None of them were really that unique. A lot of the time, it was just "eh, a robot or an animal or something has to defeat a bad guy. Why? Eh, maybe there's a princess." If it was based on an existing license, like Little Nemo or Felix the Cat, then all the better.
    That's still better then generic military dudes. Also characters and general setting aside: Weapons, every modern military shooter has the same ones and even games outside the modern military FPS frequently have the same stuff, as they all just copy the real world.
    • You'd be surprised at how many games ripped off Mario. Speaking of which, you didn't go for any of the other genres. Odd. Mario's not the only guy to start a rip-off trend. You have Street Fighter II, Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Gradius, Secret of Monkey Island, and a shitload of others.
    Isn't that ton of other genres kind of proving the point? Sure you get some clones, but when you have so much different stuff to chose from, that's hardly a problem.
    • Games today aren't as limited as you think, either. I could probably list off a shitload of games that don't really fall into any major trend, like Final Fantasy XIII (not a lot of JRPGs), Fragile Dreams, Elebits, anything by Telltale Games, etc.
    Yes, but you already have to go quite out of the mainstream. That's essentially my point. It's not that creativity does no longer exist, its that it doesn't get either the budget nor the press attention. Also neither Fragile Dreams nor Elebits run on Xbox360 or PS3. (Also Telltale is really just riding on past LucasArts Adventure success and their Jurassic Park looked like a clear Heavy Rain inspired game).
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By tourgen

@Sincillian: you just have to look deeper, beyond what the big publishers are pimping. there are plenty of original, well-crafted games coming out. more than ever actually.