The "Can't remember the name of this game" Thread v3.0

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#401  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King: I don't see it in the spoilers on the front page and yeah but it was on a older version and I've seen other people repost their questions from an older version here so I did the same.....don't see what the big deal is.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#402  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures

Huh? X19 leaves questions behind in older versions? That's kinda weird.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#403  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King: My question must have gotten lost cause its not in the OP.....so I just simply reposted it and added a little more detail.
SHAKIRALOVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#404  Edited By SHAKIRALOVER
@Nikral
No that wasn't it. :(
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#405  Edited By X19
@Video_Game_King@Unknown_Pleasures: The old threads were locked so there wasn't a way for users to reply with answers. I first tried to ask users to PM me the answers so I could pass them on but usually the people who left questions never replied. I decided to send everyone a PM and ask them to repost their question in the new thread. This helped work out who of the users still used the site and also meant I didn't waste my time and the user answering the questions time, chasing people who didn't use the site anymore.  

Edit: Still got a backup of all the questions from v2.0 so you did post it before.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406  Edited By 1415926535
@MysteriousBob said:
@1415926535 said:
hi everyone, can't remember the name of an excellent game. i played it about 15 years ago, it was a car race game, in top-down perspective, tiny cars raced on the top of a table desk around pencils, papers, spilled ink etc. one of the stages was named "crayon canyon". could anyone help please :)
I guess Micro Machines is the obvious answer.
that's it, thanks a lot :)
dekard49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#407  Edited By dekard49

A Commodore 64 game. Side-scroller.

What I believe is the first level, a forest at night. At least once on the level, the screen stops and I got attacked by a kind of dragon creature that went up and down the screen. I remember turning into something like a frog to avoid it.

What I believe is the 2nd level, a castle - there is a part in the level where a very large gap has to be flown over by transforming into a bird or a bat - I never got passed this bit!

This game has been nagging at me for years, what is it called? Thanks for any help.

JDoobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#408  Edited By JDoobs

NES or SNES game. A top down cop themed game with driving. You were given the name of a criminal and had to chase them down in their car and pull in front of them to stop them. You could mistakenly pull over and shoot civilians. After you caught the criminal a screen would show you the name of the criminal .  

Thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kelmaro said:

Back again :) i just remembered another game id like to find though it might be tougher since i remember less about this game okay so first thing is i believe this game is a jrpg (in english though) and it had a style similar to xenogears or possibly grandia (though i haven't played grandia before) and i remember in the beggining of the game you were at a village next to a beach or just ocean and you and some other characters dicided to go into the forest (or jungle) next to the village (though i dont know why they did) and you had to fight monsters in the forest and there was a big boss to though thats all i remember and that also makes me think that this game couldve bin just a demo of the game which could also mean that it wasnt the beggining of the game but more likely i think it was and the main reason i think this game is similar to xenogears and grandia is because this game had 2d characters and 2d background (i think) and the art style might have bin a bit similar to xenogears and also when walking around you didnt enter random encounters you could see the enemies and when you walk into them then the fight begins and the combat itself i cant really remember but probably was similar to final fantasy or xenogears and this was on Playstation 1

Wasn't Breath Of Fire was it? Posssibly 3?

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410  Edited By benjo_t

Okay, so here's one that has bugged ne for years:

It's an old arcade style game in which you control a man who must cross the middle of the screen, being careful to avoid an increasingly fast elevator which is moving up and down the screen. Googling keywords brings up the game 'elevator' bit it's not that. I Remember that when you made it to the op of the screen, the man would shout 'MARVELLOUS!'

Any ideas at all? It drives me crazy not being able to remember it!

sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411  Edited By sanchopanza

@JDoobs said:

NES or SNES game. A top down cop themed game with driving. You were given the name of a criminal and had to chase them down in their car and pull in front of them to stop them. You could mistakenly pull over and shoot civilians. After you caught the criminal a screen would show you the name of the criminal . Thanks

APB? http://www.giantbomb.com/apb/61-18120/

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#412  Edited By imsh_pl

A PC platformer, propably from around 2000+. You are an agent lizard of some sorts, with a black coat and sunglasses.

A PC hmm... puzzle game? Your objective is to navigate a herd of sheep into a designated area. Propably from around 2000+ as well.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#413  Edited By BeachThunder
@imsh_pl said:
A PC platformer, propably from around 2000+. You are an agent lizard of some sorts, with a black coat and sunglasses.  A PC hmm... puzzle game? Your objective is to navigate a herd of sheep into a designated area. Propably from around 2000+ as well.
One of the Gex games?
Flock? Maybe this?
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414  Edited By imsh_pl
@BeachThunder: Yep and yep, thanks a lot mate ;).
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#415  Edited By buzz_killington

So I have a game I need help identifying. All I remember is that it was a 2D co-op arcade beat-em-up that had two witches as the bosses for either level 3 or level 4. The game itself wasn't a fantasy game, it was modern looking. Also if I remember correctly, the two dudes you could play as were very similar looking. One of them had a yellow shirt if I'm not mistaken. I used to play it in the mid-nineties (or late) nineties. I know it is very little information, but please help me. I used to love playing this game with my dad when I was younger. 

Kelmaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416  Edited By Kelmaro
@Khann: breath of fire isnt it cuz i do remember you wouldnt get random encounters you would only run into enemies that were wondering around then get into a battle
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Kelmaro

Is it Guardian's Crusade?
happyvomit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418  Edited By happyvomit

Alright, so I've been trying to remember the name of a game for a long time. It was an educational game for PC that came out sometime in the 90s. It had a Halloween-ish theme. The plot had something to do with your classmates being kidnapped and you having to rescue them. It was a really creepy game (often the puzzles would take place in graveyards and other such locations) so it was probably marketed to the 4th or 5th grades. There was a bat that talked to you if I remember correctly (might be wrong about this). I'll try to talk to my sister and get more details but for now that's all I've got. Any ideas?

Kelmaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419  Edited By Kelmaro
@Video_Game_King: nope the characters im pretty sure were 2d not 3d
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#420  Edited By Hailinel

@benjo_t said:

Okay, so here's one that has bugged ne for years: It's an old arcade style game in which you control a man who must cross the middle of the screen, being careful to avoid an increasingly fast elevator which is moving up and down the screen. Googling keywords brings up the game 'elevator' bit it's not that. I Remember that when you made it to the op of the screen, the man would shout 'MARVELLOUS!' Any ideas at all? It drives me crazy not being able to remember it!

The only thing I can think of is Elevator Action.

Kontrapunkt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#421  Edited By Kontrapunkt

Hello everyone!

I have another lost PC game. It is likely from the mid to late nineties it had a CD with different shades of blue and also had the earth on it. It had something to do with astronauts and space. From what I could find/remember, it also contained at least 3 game modes. One that was sort of like a Moon Base jobby. One that resembled space invaders and I think, one that was sort of like a top down cart racer with weapons and lots of randomly generated options. The loading screens I think had green text and mentioned something about blasting off or launching. It was pretty serious and was fairly sprite based I think.

Thanks everyone for any help!

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422  Edited By imsh_pl

All right, another one.

A PC adventure game, propably from around 2000. You take a role of a prince who lost his memory. At the beginning of the game you talk with various people around a castle. The game has a cartoony artsyle.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423  Edited By BitterAlmond

A gameboy advance game, a hack-and-slash JRPG. At the very beginning of the game, you were given the choice between playing the male character or the female character and the game would be completely different based on this choice (different point of view in the storyline, different levels, different playstyle, etc.). There was a scene in a room (maybe on an airship?) where there was a cabinet with a snake motif on it and some sort of puzzle relating to an asp. 

Avatar image for oodama_rasengan
oodama_rasengan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424  Edited By oodama_rasengan

hi im looking for ps1 game from somewhere in the mid 90 i think the game starts off in the jungle and you play is a guy with an axe anyone know the name of that game ?
btw im new here :P
ow yeah and some of the enemys were like small holes and if you stand on them the hole becomes bigger does that ring a bell ?
it was no side scroller it was a 3d game and its a adventure game

linnea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425  Edited By linnea

Hello,  

I don't know if this thread is still active at all, but I have to at least give it a try since the quest for this game is driving me mad.  

I played this on a Mac, in the mid-nineties. I guess it could have been around 1996 but I'm really not sure about that.  
In this game you had to navigate a chameleon from one point to another (usually starting in one corner on the left and ending up in one corner on the right, if I remember correctly) in order to advance to the next level.  
There was no side-scrolling or anything, the whole world fit on the screen and consisted of walls and platforms, I believe they were all made of bricks. 
The chameleon on itself could just walk, I think. There were however balloons put in certain places, which upon collecting would give the chameleon a specific skill or ability to do something, they could usually only be used once, maybe twice. The balloons were of different colors, each color giving you a different skill, and turning the chameleon the same color until he had used said skill.  
I remember there being red, blue, green and possibly orange balloons, and with them you could make the chameleon float upwards, jump, or whip out its tongue to stick it to the next brick available, which you could then pull closer and position differently. You had to work out which balloons to use and in what order to get from one point to another. 

Any help would be much appreciated, I've been looking for this damn (and awesome) game forever but no luck so far.
linnea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426  Edited By linnea

Aaaaand I guess I could have just asked my sister right away, since she knew exactly what I meant and even remembered the goddamn title: Color Clash 

I was off on so many things - not only did I completely ignore all the flies and the monsters, I also apparently played this waaay earlier than I thought since it was still on the Atari, and who knows where I got the balloons from...  

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427  Edited By X19
@linnea: Glad you found it :)
ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428  Edited By ElBarto
Background:
The game I'm trying to find is a PC game. It had to be sometime in the mid 90s. I remember it coming on a compilation disc from PC Gamer or PC World in which the interface of the disc was that you navigated from an island to some sort of temple and at the temple you had access to a plethora of games, I believe Star Wars Dark Forces was one of the games available.
Game Details:
I can't quite remember if the game was first person, or an over the shoulder-ish third person; if neither I believe you could see a bit of the front end of what you were. You didn't play as a humanoid though. You were some sort of hovering pod with a gold ring around it I believe. The graphics engine seemed to be somewhat like Quake II. The first level was sort of dark, and if I remember you were trying to get from point a to b in order to advance to the next stage and you had these other hovering orbs that looked like you (different color though) trying to impede you and they would basically ram you and bounce you almost kind of like bumper cars basically.
HeDas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429  Edited By HeDas
Background: 
The game I'm trying to find I played on PC. It had to be released around 1995-1999. I remember that the background of the game inside was all the characters from the game (I believe they were agents or spies) looking straight at you. That background was cartoon style. I remember also that I think you had to chose one of the agents and you would play for it. 

Game Details:
It was third person game, you saw the "game" from above. Controls were arrows keys and some others, maybe z, x and c. All game point was "owning" in different ways other agents. You were able to attach fridge or TV (I don't remember, but it had to be one from these two) and it would drop on the enemy when he was standing below it. Game took place I believe only in closed apartments with kitchens, bathrooms and stuff. Also there were stairs in that game too and you could get to the second floor.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430  Edited By Video_Game_King
@HeDas

Is it Spy vs. Spy? That sounds somewhat like Spy vs. Spy.
HeDas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431  Edited By HeDas

Yeah, I think so. Thank you very much :)

Awebster987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432  Edited By Awebster987

Hi all. Just happened to stumble across this thread and hopefully it's still going. Pretty much this game was a massive online multiplayer game. It's anywhere between 1998 and 2004 that it was most played. I think. It's a turned based game exactly like tank wars. You sat on tanks that look like different animals and there was this boomerang machine tank which was the hardest to get accurate with. There was also a huge turtle tank and one that shot multiple missiles. It was very cartoon like in graphics and it was played on the inter webs on PC. Dying to remember what game it was ever since I recently played tank wars again.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433  Edited By X19

This thread has reopened

Feel free to leave a question in this thread and perhaps a Giant Bomb member might know the answer.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, so I´m gonna try my luck in here:

The game I´m looking for was a sidescrolling SNES plattformer (yeah, there are lots of those)
It had really colorful, bright graphics and scrolled in every direction, I think
I think you played as dinosaurs, at least dinosaurs played a major role in it (maybe kids riding them?)
I seem to remember one dinosaur being pink and another blue
I also remember some sort of rollercoaster, so it probably wasn´t set in prehistoric times.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

This may not be answerable as my memory of it is so foggy that even if I saw pictures of it I doubt I would recognize it. But I will give it a go anyway as I have been dying to figure out what this game is for a long time so I can try it as an adult.

When I was a kid I played this first person RPG on my NES or SNES. I can't remember which but I want to say it was NES. The thing is that I could never figure out how to play it. The game would just start with you standing in an open field and you had to walk around and discover things. The thing was that there must have been some kind of hunger/timer that was not visible because I would walk around for 5-10 min and just randomly die for no apparent reason. It was the same thing every time and I could never get anywhere in the game because I would just wander around never finding anything and then my guy would just die and the game would restart. I don't remember ever getting into any kind of combat because I could never find anything in this open world of nothingness so I have no idea what other game mechanics the game had.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#436 Mento  Moderator

@superfriend: DinoCity?

@crusader8463: Sounds like a Wizardry. There aren't too many first-person RPGs that got released in the US, so it's either that, the NES Might and Magic game or something like Swords and Serpents.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#437 fisk0  Moderator

@mento said:

@superfriend: DinoCity?

@crusader8463: Sounds like a Wizardry. There aren't too many first-person RPGs that got released in the US, so it's either that, the NES Might and Magic game or something like Swords and Serpents.

I'd lean more towards Might & Magic or Bard's Tale I think, though I don't remember any of them having hunger mechanics. The Wizardry games that made it to the NES were pretty much only the pure dungeon crawlers, I don't think any of the open world ones (which would've been around Wizardry 5) were released on consoles in the West.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm going to try this again because it's driving me insane not knowing the name of this game. I'll see if I can be a bit more descriptive.

It was likely released in the early 2000s and is a fantasy RPG for the PC. I'm not sure if it was on any other platforms. You could make your own character in the beginning and the very first area you're dropped into is a forest during the night. The next area is a sewer where you have to fight a lot of slime monsters (This isn't a Japanese RPG either) and when you leave the sewers you end up in a town. Gameplay is very actiony and I remember the durability system being pretty bad. Your weapons broke really fast.

That's all I got. Last time I didn't get an answer so I'm assuming the game was either received very poorly or is just obscure, maybe even both.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439  Edited By JazGalaxy

@ezakael said:

I'm going to try this again because it's driving me insane not knowing the name of this game. I'll see if I can be a bit more descriptive.

It was likely released in the early 2000s and is a fantasy RPG for the PC. I'm not sure if it was on any other platforms. You could make your own character in the beginning and the very first area you're dropped into is a forest during the night. The next area is a sewer where you have to fight a lot of slime monsters (This isn't a Japanese RPG either) and when you leave the sewers you end up in a town. Gameplay is very actiony and I remember the durability system being pretty bad. Your weapons broke really fast.

That's all I got. Last time I didn't get an answer so I'm assuming the game was either received very poorly or is just obscure, maybe even both.

Were the graphics polygonal? Pre-rendered backgrounds? Was it sprite based? Do you know what region it was from? (American? European?) Do you know how you came across it? Did you buy it in a store, or download it from somewhere? Was it a demo or a retail release? Could you create your own character? Did you play with a mouse or a keyboard? Was it action focused or turn based?

Just trying to narrow it down some...

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440  Edited By confusedowl

@ezakael said:

Were the graphics polygonal? Pre-rendered backgrounds? Was it sprite based? Do you know what region it was from? (American? European?) Do you know how you came across it? Did you buy it in a store, or download it from somewhere? Was it a demo or a retail release? Could you create your own character? Did you play with a mouse or a keyboard? Was it action focused or turn based?

The game was fully 3D. I think it was American. I bought it at Gamestop I believe. Retail. Answered that one in my post. Mouse and Keyboard. Answered already.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441  Edited By superfriend

@ezakael said:

@jazgalaxy said:

@ezakael said:

The game was fully 3D. I think it was American. I bought it at Gamestop I believe. Retail. Answered that one in my post. Mouse and Keyboard. Answered already.

It sort of sounds like Dungeon Lords.. but that one wasn´t released until much later. Dungeon Lords did look like a (bad) early 2000s polygonal RPG at times, so yeah..

@mento yeah, Dino City looks about right. I remember it being a lot brighter though.. well, a kid sees things differently I guess.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442  Edited By confusedowl

@superfriend: Hey it is Dungeon Lords. I was wrong about the release date but that's definitely the game. thanks a lot.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one has been haunting me for awhile. I can't remember but if my memory serves me right then the concept was pretty damn awesome.

First of all, it was on the same playstation 1 demo disc that had a demo of MGS and Medievil (1 or 2, not sure) on it, so I'd guess that it was out around the same timeframe as MGS1 was being released. It was a side scrolling beat em up where you had what I believe was a jaguar's head but a human body, much like King from Tekken. The first opening cutscene put you in a pretty swank cabin with a fireplace and a deer's mounted head in the background, but after that the demo was in a jungle area. Your power up move involved you cracking your knuckles in order to activate a sort of berserk mode.

Everything about it seemed excellent but I never heard of it again so it's possible that it was just a demo and never became a full game. That's all I remember about it, if anyone could help me find out what it is, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444  Edited By X19
Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@x19: It's possible that it could have been a pizza hut one but I don't remember Tomb Raider 3 ever being on the disc It's all pretty fuzzy since I was so young at the time, but thanks for putting in the work to find the game, I'm in the US by the way.

Kyotsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been trying to remember this game for ages:

- It is a genesis game

- It is an army game (not the green army men toys)

- It featured player vs cpu battles (red team vs blue team)

- Battles were small scale (possible 3v3, no more than 5v5)

- Multiple classes or weapons (I remember machine guns and flame throwers)

- Isometric view

- Possibly cartoon-ish graphics

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I only played the demo of this game on a PC Gamer disc sometime in the late 90's/early 2000's.

- It's an isometric strategy game.

- Possibly turn-based, but could also be real-time.

- You control a task force, similar to SWAT.

- The mission in the demo is a hostage rescue mission taking place in a house.

- You buy equipment for your men before the mission.

- There are FMV clips of your commander, a British lady that reminded me of Judi Dench.

- Said commander will get angry and chew you out if you spend too much money on equipment. This also happens if you're sloppy during a mission and your men get killed.

- Eventually your commander will suspend you from duty and the game is over.

It is not SWAT 2, but it was pretty similar. I don't know if this game ever actually came out or if the demo is all there is. Has anyone heard of it?

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448  Edited By X19

@mrsignerman44

: I will stop searching the UK disc then and see if I can find anything on the US side of things.

I've looked through the Pizza Hut demos and they only had the top games on those discs so it wont be there.

Other two options are:

• Interactive Sampler Disc CD
  • Official U.S PlayStation Magazine

Vol9 has Metal Gear Solid and Medievil 1. Only side scroller on that disc is a beat em up called Wild 9 which doesn't match your description.

Loading Video...

I'm beginning to think it might have been a demo disc which didn't have those games on but came out around the same time.

Was it Tomba?

Skip to 19:24 in the video which is a hut with a fireplace and before and after that there's jungle environments.

Loading Video...

If not then I'm sure you will find it if you hunt through the demo discs series I mentioned.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449  Edited By Chibithor

Okay, I've got three games and I really don't remember much about them so the descriptions might be entirely incorrect and not very in-depth. Still, worth a shot if someone recognizes what I'm talking about right away.

1. Looks very, very much like Altered Beast. I'm not convinced it's not Altered Beast, but I recall that you played a knight and had a sword. It was from around that era as well. No idea concerning platform.

2. A sort of third person polygonal mech game, where you could get on top of roofs and such. I remember a red mech that reminded me of a ladybug? Graphics were maybe late PS1 era quality. Not quite Deus Ex level. Might've been on the PC.

3. A car-combat type game, as far as visuals go it was sort of like F-Zero in a desert arena with guns. Looked similar to Star Wars Episode I Racer. I think it was first-person and for the PC but maybe not. edit: Might be A.I.M. (thanks to @alexw00d)

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-You played as this anime looking character with spiky orange hair

-It was on the Ps2

-You went in to people's dreams and those were the levels

-You had this weird looking animal sidekick.

I played it as a kid and remember it being pretty good.