Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight! Last week marked the fourth birthday of the site, this week marks the 300th episode of the Giant Bombcast! Again many thanks to the staff for taking the time to make such great content for the site. First thing worth mentioning is that Marino would like to remind you that just because characters appear in certain games doesn't mean they count as part of a franchise. Ryan revealed how he plans on becoming a Super Hero villain. Tony and Sara from Comic Vine guested in a special GameSpot podcast discussing The Dark Knight Rises. Also worth noting is that Brad Shoemaker made a guest appearance on the gaming edition GameSpot podcast. Matt Kessler turned 24 this week so if you haven't already issue your belated birthday wishes to him. Finally everyone should check out and watch the latest edition of GB user BrYN's Bombcast Animated video series:
Game Nights and Activities
- Giant Bomb Community SC2 US Tournament #14 - July 29th! - Sign Ups Start Saturday!
- PC Gaming Hub - Play Those Steam Games You Bought During the Summer Sale with Other Users by Heading Over Here!
Wonderful WikisYup it continues to be the Summer Game Drought...and there aren't that many Wiki Tasks or big releases that have been capturing the community's attention. That said I'm happy to inform all of you that Surströmming has been added to the database. Now quick, think of other games to add to the wiki page! David Lang would be happy to know that the community has made the Wreckateer wiki page a nice page. The Fire Emblem community strikes back with the Hector character page, and you can figure out what the heck Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is from its wiki page.
Best of BlogsThe highlight for this week comes from user mtmckinley who talks about the heartbreak that came of Warthog and other studios bought to develop games for the Gizmondo. Also Mento hit it out of the park this week by writting not one, not two, but three blogs this week! GB user that pinguino details why he's been playing around with Final Fantasy VIII's leveling system still to this day. Cout_Zero breaks down Arthur Clarke's book Rendezvous with Rama and its video game adaptation. ThePhantomnaut details what it was like going to EVO 2012 in person while Marino looks back to EverQuest and talks about his memories with the game's first expansion pack. RelentlessKnight has written a blog recalling some unorthodox ways developer have done copy protection in video games. Video_Game_King starts a blogging trend by writing yet another blog about killing zombies. Jan has created yet another blog showing off his 3D modeling skills. Jay444111 lists off ten enfuriating bosses he has had to deal with. MisterBananaFoam contemplates if established franchises should risk canging their genres while in tandem Zenogiasu who looks if the transitional period hurts the development of original IPs in the industry. RecSpec gives you an update on his gaming, metalsnakezero continues to play through the Assassin's Creed franchise, and eccentrix tackles his Steam game library backlog. The latest edition of the Knowledge Bomb featuring the best user essays has been published by thatpunguino. User c0l0nelp0c0rn1 Finally got around to Ghost Trick and Deathdealer108 talks about his dark descent into the Xbox Avatar Marketplace. MisterSparkle theorizes why taking violence out of games isn't that big of a controversy and DoctorWelch gives you an update on how his efforts to learn how to program are going.
- A Web of Resources: Character Building in Final Fantasy 8 (By: thatpinguino)
- Book Review - Rendezvous With Rama (By: Count_Zero)
- The EVO Virgin Part 1 - Thursday (By: ThePhantomnaut)
- Tales from Norrath: Camping Ragefire (By: Marino)
- Clever Anti-Piracy Methods in Games (By: RelentlessKnight)
- Everything About This Feels So...Familiar (By: Video_Game_King)
- Behind the Scenes - Gizmondo Texas (By: mtmckinley)
- Toad - 3D Model (By: Jan)
- Of Gods and Mento (By: Mento)
- A Brief Jaunt Through: Mindscape's Captive (Part 1) (Part 2) (By: Mento)
- Top Ten Most Dastardly Tough Video Game Enemies of All Time! (By: Jay444111)
- The End of the Line? New IPs in a Console's Twilight Years (By: Zenogiasu)
- RecSpec Roulette: July 24, 2012 (By: RecSpec)
- Knowledge Bomb: July 23, 2012 (By: thatpinguino)
- Yesterday's Games: Assassin's Creed 2 (By: metalsnakezero)
- Changing the Genre on Old IPs: Good or No Good? (By: MisterBananaFoam)
- Spectral Prank: Apparition Inspector and Citadel (By: c0l0nelp0c0rn1)
- People Want to Take Violence Out of Games, Why Don't We Let Them? (By: MistaSparkle)
- Confessions of a Steam Addict (By: eccentrix)
- Learning How to Program Episode 3 (By: DoctorWelch)
- My Descent into the Depths of the Xbox 360 Avatar Marketplace (By: Deathdealer108)
Fantastic ForumsThe Olympics start this weekend so if track and field gets your blood pumping head on over there. Also if you plan on getting Persona 4 Arena just note that there's an official spoilerific story discussion thread where you can discuss anything about the game without fear of being cursed.
- 2012 Olympic Games Discussion Thread (By: FrankCanada97)
- Do Not Spoil Persona 4 Arena (P4A Spoiler Thread) (By: FluxWaveZ)
Mago looks back at the Steam Summer Sale and lists the dent that it made on his wallet, and MisterBananaFoam has created a humorous list of games that have been ruined for him because of bad DLC and User Created Content.
- Good Games That Have Been Ruined by Obnoxious DLC/User-Made Content (By: MisterBananaFoam)
- Steam Summer Sale Haul (By: Mago)
Useful User Reviews
- Redbullet685's user review of Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
- D's user review of Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD
- wumbo3000's user review of Outland
- MisterBananaFoam's user review of Spelunky
- Nadafinga's user review of Thomas Was Alone